• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Titles

Firebrand

Indomitable
Hero's Path was a pretty blunt, no nonsense name utterly devoid of any deeper symbolism. I gave each chapter a two word title that was in some way pertinent to the contents in the chapter. For example:

-"Storm Front" was the start of the darkest, bloodiest arc of the fic
-"Falling Stars" marked the death of several characters
-"Paradigm Shift" changed the POV briefly from the main protagonist to the supporting protagonist and principle antagonist
-"Lightning Strike" on top of being set in a storm, also contained a sudden unexpected event that changed the course of the story
-"Into Flames" was the beginning of the climax, culminating in (the quite originally named) "Final Battle"
-The last three chapters conspicuously broke the mold, those being "Answers", "Changes", and "Farewell" respectively.
-However, the epilogue was a return to form with "And Then"

In my original fiction, I don't bother to name my chapters. But those tend to have a little bit more meaning behind the names than the painfully basic Hero's Path. The Blazing Heart Saga has the fire motif, so Blazing Heart, Scattered Sparks and Fire Eternal. Then there is Dark Pawn, and it's eventual sequels, Dark Rising and Dark Queen.

And then there's Sin, which is just the name of the main character. Because even after working on it for a year, and then finishing it eight months ago, I still can't think of a better title...

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Naming Story titles and chapters are the same as well as Arcs. One thing I did in my Feli Chronicles is naming my Arcs based on the locations that my heroine visit along with important.

Seedling Arc (this is where my heroine gave birth to her child. She is still a naive mother.)

Hivanis Arc: Ignisia (By this arc, this is where the story began showing stories of Dark Troubled Times. But this is where she denied to accept her destiny)

Family Arc (I love this arc personally where two new characters play an important influence to my characters both in a positive and extremely negative way)

Herbardam Arc (What I love in this arc naming is that this is where my heroine just lost her naivete big time. This is where her destiny is playing a great importance)

Hivanis Arc: Magmari (This one I'm currently working has to involve with a look back on the history of human faults, partly)

The others could still take planning.

But another his I consider nice to polish your title name is using Idiomatic expressions, its personally my favorite category of writing in story writing

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
I will not comment on the others' style of title, because that is really personal taste. But for me personally, I agree with SeekerofLight that chapter and story title should related to the theme.

For my current fic クロスワールドの冒険者たち (Adventurers of Crossworld), it is an original crossover Adventure fic of Pokemon with another non-Pokemon fandom, hence the fic get such title name. You may also say it is a play on the word "crossword", because the journey within the fic is also like a crossword puzzle.

I try to make the fic like a Light Novel for entertainment and enjoyment, hence the chapter titles should be vivid and yet clearly state the upcoming story. I choose to take the sentence-style, where a short phrase that tells the most important event of that chapter, but it is not pun.

Really, I personally not very fond of pun. Pun gives a humourous atmosphere, which suits the funny comedy fic that causes the reader to laugh about. Though my fic has a few funny scenes you may wanted to laugh, but that is not comedy, actions and battles are more than conversations. Also one more important thing: Death of characters occurs in the fic; though it happens only in several few occasions, but the idea is that character understands that death is possible during their adventure. So just short: The theme itself of the fic is not funny.

Last edited: