• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

To all farmers: Grow More Pot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eszett

one love
Before replying to this debate, please watch both of these videos in full (it's a two-part series):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN2yV7f16Mg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfH2FGv95_Y

For as long as I have been a competent thinker, I always felt that the recreational use of marijuana should be completely legal without restrictions, but I had no idea that it was this big of an issue. That the United States Department of Agriculture has on hand documented evidence that cannabis-based products are simply superior in all ways to their alternatives, yet this nation is not allowed to grow these on a massive scale, is tomfoolery beyond epic proportions. Once again, the American populace has been swindled by the interests of a select few, and those who are against the legalization of pot don't even know just how much they have been screwed over. For the sake of my fellow countrymen and the rest of the world, this faulty legislation must be changed immediately and swiftly. It'll only be a few million dollars of losses for the bigwigs, but that is a negligible loss considering just how much wealth they already have.

Should anyone here, by some miracle, have the resources and the conniving to start his own pot farm, be my guest. Hopefully this can one day benefit the greater good just as it has for many, many centuries, and we can all live on a cleaner, healthier, and happier planet.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
As I have argued many times before, Marijuana is not the innocent pleasure many addicts make it out to be nor is the raw plant/smoked plant a proven effective medicine. As medicine the smoked plant is dangerous and not very effective, certainly not reaching any acceptable standard for pharmaceuticals: but I agree that there is potential in the marijuana plant for the development of pharmaceuticals. Despite these point of opposition though, I agree with those who argue for legalisation: for a law to be a law, in my opinion, it should be enforceable. Enforcing a ban on growing marijuana is exceptionally difficult because growing marijuana is exceptionally easy.

Anyway the argument advanced by the person speaking in those videos is undermined by the fact that there are varieties of the hemp plant which do not contain delta nine tetrahydrocannabinol. In fact, of the two main varieties of the hemp plant, Cannabis Sativa Sativa and Cannabis Sativa Indica, only Indica contains amounts of T.H.C. to make a drug as Sativa has negligible quantities of T.H.C. (far less than a percent), definitely not enough for psychological or physical effects on the human body. Also to add to this Indica has poor fibre quality and is not suited for industrial hemp production at all (unless it is the drug that is being produced). I personally find it as pointless as others do to ban industrial hemp: it is not dangerous as a drug and has a variety of uses. Certainly, the Department of Agriculture should adjust its regulations to at least allow (and liberally give out) licenses to grow Cannabis Sativa Sativa for the reasons of usefulness given in the video (though, I doubt it's THAT useful: there's an evident element of exaggeration present).

PsiUmbreon

As I have argued many times before, Marijuana is not the innocent pleasure many addicts make it out to be nor is the raw plant/smoked plant a proven effective medicine. As medicine the smoked plant is dangerous and not very effective, certainly not reaching any acceptable standard for pharmaceuticals: but I agree that there is potential in the marijuana plant for the development of pharmaceuticals. Despite these point of opposition though, I agree with those who argue for legalisation: for a law to be a law, in my opinion, it should be enforceable. Enforcing a ban on growing marijuana is exceptionally difficult because growing marijuana is exceptionally easy.

Anyway the argument advanced by the person speaking in those videos is undermined by the fact that there are varieties of the hemp plant which do not contain delta nine tetrahydrocannabinol. In fact, of the two main varieties of the hemp plant, Cannabis Sativa Sativa and Cannabis Sativa Indica, only Indica contains amounts of T.H.C. to make a drug as Sativa has negligible quantities of T.H.C. (far less than a percent), definitely not enough for psychological or physical effects on the human body. Also to add to this Indica has poor fibre quality and is not suited for industrial hemp production at all (unless it is the drug that is being produced). I personally find it as pointless as others do to ban industrial hemp: it is not dangerous as a drug and has a variety of uses. Certainly, the Department of Agriculture should adjust its regulations to at least allow (and liberally give out) licenses to grow Cannabis Sativa Sativa for the reasons of usefulness given in the video (though, I doubt it's THAT useful: there's an evident element of exaggeration present).

I'll bet that the historical examples of hemp usage in the video were of the kind that doesn't cause psychological effects. I distrusted the video but given that fact, it makes sense. Cannabis plants of the non-narcotic variety should definitely be grown and taken advantage of. And hell, why not legalize marijuana anyway while we're at it?

I find it sad how Marijuana is always thought of as the most addictive/harmful drug. If anything, it's the least addictive/harmful drug out there.

It is the most used, and that's probably why it's so 'bad' considered among the athorities.

I really do think it should be made legal, because it's really not that harmful. Sure it has loads of tar and **** ..but it doesn't have all those chemicals like cigarettes do ..and cigarettes aren't anywhere near being illegal.

When I talk to people, they're like "Oh do you smoke weed?" And I'm like 'Oh yeah, sometimes. How bout you?" "ALL THE TIME BABY." And then I ask "what about cigarettes?" And they're like "NEVER!"

Just the fact that people would rather smoke weed than cigarettes tells you something.

Look at the hippies. They were so peaceful ..cause all of them were smoking weed.

And weed is not addicting. You don't become withdrawled when you don't have any. I mean you might want it more, because you like the feeling. But you don't freak out ..like how people do with cigarettes or ..big time heroin.

:] Weed is so not harmful.

SkinnySweatyMan

Before I start this, I'll let you know that I am for the legalization of marijuana.

When I talk to people, they're like "Oh do you smoke weed?" And I'm like 'Oh yeah, sometimes. How bout you?" "ALL THE TIME BABY." And then I ask "what about cigarettes?" And they're like "NEVER!"

Just the fact that people would rather smoke weed than cigarettes tells you something.

It can tell you many things. One thing could be that cigarettes are more addictive and end up being harder on your body in the long run. However, another thing is that they don't get any "good" side effects from cigarettes, and they want that high.

Look at the hippies. They were so peaceful ..cause all of them were smoking weed.

Um, what? They were peaceful because they were smoking marijuana?

And weed is not addicting. You don't become withdrawled when you don't have any. I mean you might want it more, because you like the feeling. But you don't freak out ..like how people do with cigarettes or ..big time heroin.

It all depends on what you consider addicting. No, they don't give you that crave making you always want more. However, if people smoke a lot all the time, they may not be able to eat without smoking any so they can open up their stomachs. In other words, in order for them to eat a decent amount of food, they resort to marijuana.

:] Weed is so not harmful.

If it's smoked, then yes, it is.

Nenäpää

It all depends on what you consider addicting. No, they don't give you that crave making you always want more. However, if people smoke a lot all the time, they may not be able to eat without smoking any so they can open up their stomachs. In other words, in order for them to eat a decent amount of food, they resort to marijuana.
Source to this please. I've never heard of anything like this. It's true that marijuana raises appetite, but this...?

If it's smoked, then yes, it is.
Not exactly. If it's smoked as joint, it may damage your lungs in the long run. But, it can be smoked with bong when it doesn't damage your lungs (if I remember correctly) or it can be eaten when it certainly doesn't have anything to do with your lungs. Kit Kat didn't really mention how it's harmful, and I don't know do you just mean that when it's used it's harmful or what.

But marijuana may have mental damaging effects. It's proven that it may start a psychosis on non-mentally stable person, and it may raise the change to start psychosis on stable person too. Also, this hasn't been proven, but I've heard many "horror stories" from how marijuana has affected on intelligence. No, I don't mean how good your at maths, I mean how 'fast' you are. People who are frequently using weed may be more passive and overrelaxed. Note that this may be bs, but just something to mention... If this were true, it'd effect on society as being passive is never good if you're working. Or even worse, if you're too passive to work at all.

But more research is needed to legalize it. On medical purposes I don't see why not to legalize it. Even though it's more healthy than cigarettes or alcohol, I don't support legalizing it IF it has some harmful effects. I don't really see many, if it only may start psychosis on non-mentally stable person (not on normal person) and if it doesn't make you passive.

*Waiting for some source to my thoughts.*

Last edited:

heirokee

For medical purposes, it doesn't make sense for it to be legalized because there are drugs (marinol being a significant one) which can provide the calming and appetite increasing effects of marijuana without causing any damage to neural receptors. Some people claim they are more potent in a psychoactive sense, but they lacks most of the psychoactive cannabinoids of the cannabis sativa plant, so that is unlikely. Also, it's noted to cause trips that make people feel depressed instead of happy, so it's significantly less likely to be abused. I personally don't like that last part, but honestly, if you chose to use marinol over another generally more effective drug (because in modern medicine marinol or marijuana aren't ever really the best options) you were probably just choosing it in the hopes it would get you high, and the depressing effect is just kind of a smack on the wrist for trying to trick your doctor.

In other words, marijuana isn't a very good drug in modern medicine because there are alternatives that have significantly less negative side effects. If you go Eastern or Shamanic then it really depends on what spirits you're talking to and stuff, but even then, I would find it hard to believe that there are many situations in which you would need to use marijuana, let alone smoke or ingest it.

Marijuana should be legalized, but for the same reasons that alcohol is, to relax people who can't deal with life. It has several negative side effects, but in terms of drugs, it's really not that intense, and besides, corporate control of marijuana will probably result in significantly less potent stuff (you know, to save money and everything) which will ultimately make the drug even less intense. It's just something to make people relax. Even though it has negative side effects, a lot of people become very stressed in day to day life and drugs are a method by which to relieve that and reduce the negative effects that stress will bring (in my opinion, these are worse than pot's effects at least). Of course, marijuana is also mentally addictive and can create stress by itself, but that's the choice these people need to make. Legalizing it allows them to make that choice, it doesn't mean they have to, but if they are pushed to the edge, they have the option.

Personally, I never intend on relying on drugs, simply because I'm a terribly independent and strong-willed person. I do, however, know people who are of more fragile constitution and I can understand why they would need something just to keep them sane. Make no mistake, marijuana is a mind-altering drug, but it should be legalized because it is just that. Abusers of this privilege will exist, just as alcoholics do for alcohol. We can deal with them. If people are stressed to the point where they just can't bear to live any more... well, we can't deal with them...

porygonfan

Doctors here prescribe it to very ill patients who have severe pain I heard, so there is a "good" use for it that way. There are other reasons too but I forgot them. If they legalized it can you imagine all the countries selling/growing it making up these crazy prices! You would have lines at the stores.

My thought is it impairs your thought/actions, but so does getting drunk with beer, and that's legal?

Kiyohime

Marijuana doesn't exactly impair my thought and function in the same way alcohol does (and I've used both heavily)

With Marijuana, I can function very well, I just tend to say things like "Wait, have we landed on Pluto yet?"

With alcohol--I've personally witnessed people get soused to the point where they pee in their pants, throw up, freak out, and sometimes jump people. Happens a lot at the school I go to. (major party school)

With the former, I've never seen anyone freak out the way people who drink did. The worst freakout on marjuana I witnessed happened because the marijuana was sold from a disreputable dealer and had been cut with bad chemicals. The person who took it (I didn't know him very well) started crying out in fear, claiming that ghosts were riding his back. However, he was no harm to himself or to others.

If marijuana was regulated and sold with good standards, bad trips will not occur.

squirrel boy

A.K.A. myrandomness
kids these days and the marijuana. i can understand though marijuana is used mostly for medical purposes.

vaerna

Unless you know where it came from and who grew it STAY AWAY! Taken with medical guidance and a prescription with government approval, absolutely. Religious ceremonies, yup, seen 'em. It's used correctly. Used as a spice, nice flavor but cooked only as a vegetable. No more than 1/8th tsp per 8 cups in a stew or soup.
Typical recreational use? Nope. Seen too many lives screwed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.