• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

To Thine Own Pokemon Be True! (592)

Shayuin

Banned
That champion guy had the weirdest name. I mean, "O"? I know that's his name in the original, but wow. Must have been strange growing up.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Looking back, it seems like Hikari letting Eteboth go was a way for the writers to make room for Hinoarashi or Togekiss later on, which feels strangely hollow if that was the motivation.

Vulpicks

Wow, it's not often we see Ash lose the first round in a tournament. In a way it was kind of nice to see him be so severely nervous. He's not always so confident and go-lucky.

But yeah, I hate this episode. The episode itself is very nice and entertaining, aside from the key factor of Ambipom leaving, which is enough to outweigh all the good. The Pokemon Ping Pong came completely out of no where as a stupid way to get rid of poor Ambi.

It's Dawn's only Pokemon that CHOSE contests and displayed a clear passion for them from the get go, yet suddenly that's dropped for ping pong of all things? Lame.

Leonhart

Imagineer
It's Dawn's only Pokemon that CHOSE contests and displayed a clear passion for them from the get go, yet suddenly that's dropped for ping pong of all things? Lame.

Eteboth's lack of focus regarding which hobby she liked made her seem incredibly unreliable, which in a way made her release here seem slightly less forced at least since we knew in advance how flaky she was.

Daizy

I call you honey
A pretty good release episode because there was no crying involved. Oh Ambipom, why did you have to leave in such a ridiculous manner though. Ping pong is a dumb motivation.

Scorbunnie

Barry was extra funny in this episode and Ambipom's decision to play ping pong didn't bother me too much because she had two tails which made her naturally good at the sport.

What was dumb was that she decided to pick ping pong over Pokemon contests.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I genuinely would have liked this conflict and situation if it was established earlier and given more time. This should’ve been a two-parter and I say that with my whole chest.

We know Ambipom is notoriously fickle, she does whatever she’s interested in at the moment and having her pick up ping-pong and seriously want to pursue it would set up interesting conflict between her and Dawn. Dawn could question if she’s doing enough with her, hell Ambipom’s loss to Prinplup could’ve bolstered Ambipom’s want to succeed even more. It could stress that it’s important for Ambipom to keep its options open and have multiple interests, but there comes a time where being serious about something is in both her and her trainer’s best interest. None of this is really questioned and as a result it feels like it comes out of relatively nowhere.

I think the episode was fun for what it was at the tournament, but it quickly evolved into too much in too little time by the end of it. Things were happening nonstop and there needed to be much more breathing room for introspection to make this whole release hit harder. I will say Ash having flashbacks to catching it back in AG and eventually being with Dawn + her taking both Ash and Dawn’s hats made me a bit emotional, that hit me. But as a whole the circumstances required much more time to really land in the way they probably intended it to.

Still absolutely ridiculous Ambipom is LITERALLY in Vermillion training and Ash, Go, and Dawn have not visited it! Not a mention, not a word. Oooh that pisses me off like you wouldn’t believe.

SoraFan23

Generation 4 was how I got into Pokémon
Boy this one of those more controversial episodes. I mean Ambipom has been around for a long time. It really doesn't deserve to be given away so easily. I don't know what the writers were thinking but to me this is one worst filler episodes ever. All because of this stupid Ping Pong.

RafaSceptile

Boy this one of those more controversial episodes. I mean Ambipom has been around for a long time. It really doesn't deserve to be given away so easily. I don't know what the writers were thinking but to me this is one worst filler episodes ever. All because of this stupid Ping Pong.
It is not even a filler, which makes things even worse

While this was a bad release it’s kinda funny.
But Ambipom got done dirty.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Awful episode