• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

To Thine Own Pokemon Be True! (592)

shaq-attack

.:~:._.:~:.
I hardly watch the show anymore, but when I heard about this it seemed to me like Ambipom had been abandoned by both Ash and Dawn, which was a little upsetting...

Thriller

Its almost time
S.Suikun said:
This episode is sure to teach kids plenty of lifelong lessons about how friendship is fickle and that the phrase “best friends forever” is about as false as “You’ll always have your family”

Richie, Samurai, A.J., Harrison, and everyone else Ash hasn't seen or heard from in years, despite pledging to be "friends forever" nod in approval.

Why would she have been a plot device to put Buizel on Ash's team? Why couldn't Ash have just been Buizel's O.T. to begin with? What would Zoey and Kengo think of it?

Speaking of, what happeend to Jun and Kengo at the end? Iirc the both of them were a part of the ping-pong competition. I'm guessing Kengo will just be heading off on his own but what about Jun?

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
I hardly watch the show anymore, but when I heard about this it seemed to me like Ambipom had been abandoned by both Ash and Dawn, which was a little upsetting...
Define "abandoned".
Why would she have been a plot device to put Buizel on Ash's team? Why couldn't Ash have just been Buizel's O.T. to begin with? What would Zoey and Kengo think of it?
Honestly, I don't feel the writers thought this far ahead when Aipom was caught or even when Aipom was traded. So I don't feel "plot device" is the appropriate term for Aipom. Obviously it had been in planning for a bit, but it wasn't Aipom's sole purpose.
Speaking of, what happeend to Jun and Kengo at the end? Iirc the both of them were a part of the ping-pong competition. I'm guessing Kengo will just be heading off on his own but what about Jun?
I don't believe Kengo was ever participating, and he was seen leaving at the end of last week's episode. Jun, however, seems like he was just forgotten about midway through the episode, which is odd given his excitement for this tourney. As stated, they had to cram a hell of a lot into this episode, and thus a few things felt left out.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
It was Ambipom's decision to leave 100%. Dawn gave it a choice, and it picked Ping Pong. If anyone abandoned anyone, it was that damn dirty ape getting on that greyhoundour bus to head to Kanto.

Well, you know, and probably eventually switching to aerial or aquatic transportation.

So it's really not fair to accuse Dawn of being a heartless *******, I mean, if you take her in the context of being a real person and not being dictated by a script. But I agree with ^ASH^, the mention of an actual location makes it a bit more likely to appear again. And since Sinnoh's done rather well with bringing back old characters, I'd say Ambipom probably won't be limited to Glory Days and Spurts like it's primate predecessor.

I don't believe Kengo was ever participating, and he was seen leaving at the end of last week's episode. Jun, however, seems like he was just forgotten about midway through the episode, which is odd given his excitement for this tourney. As stated, they had to cram a hell of a lot into this episode, and thus a few things felt left out.
Barry taking off isn't too bothersome, considering it fits in with his character. I mean a goodbye would be nice, but I certainly can excuse him not getting a big goodbye scene.

Last edited:

Shiny pokemon lower

I aren't able to see the episode pictures yet, but I saw it in the character bios.
Why did they do that? Because it has gotten to much attention?

I think it is bacause of the a bit shafted Bunary and the case that she had two normal types. But they could solve the problem in a different way.

I think Kenny won't react to much, but Zoey will be angry at Dawn to letting that happen. Since it has been a long time since she last came, mabye she will return soon?

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Ok, so i finally watched the episode (props to the 'tube' guy for quality btw) and I gotta say that I am even more PO'd than I was before. What is it with random people in the Pokemon world just walking up to someone and saying "Oh, can i have you're Pokemon? It'd be great at this"...I mean, c'mon. Who would really give up their Pokemon to someone they didn't know? I know I wouldn't just give my cats away. Ambipom leaving to play Ping Pong was a ridiculous idea and whoever came up with it needs shooting (i felt this post need a little over-reaction).

But on a lighter note, Jessie looked so good in that outfit...and I mean gooood.

Oh! I almost forgot...Brock + Piplup = Win.
[IMG139]http://i41.*******.com/kainwp.png[/IMG139]

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
well it just goes to show that no matter how much development a pokemon gets if the writers want it gone it will be gone.

As far as Barry goes he probably needed some sugar to feed that hyped up energy body of his, so it's easy to see why he ducked out mid episode.

Mythic Mist

Indecent Exposure
This episode tried too hard to make Ping-pong interesting. And though I think putting Iwane to work on a boring episode like this is a waste, it makes sense since this thing's only redeeming factor was the nice animation.

And while many try to justify Ambipom's departure with "Oh it wasn't that interesting anyway", "After Dawn got it it became completely boring", etc. etc., they fail to realize that it's not just a personality that can make a pokemon it's also the battles its in and the style of battle it uses. Ambipom was one of Dawn's best battlers and with it gone all Dawn has are a bunch of cuteys...who in all honesty aren't that much more interesting than the "boring" Ambipom.(Except for Mamoswine obviously, or should I say "Superficial-development-swine" lol!!!...v_v)

So yeah, this was disappointing but I shall move on

Last edited:

uber gon

Accept Change
Maybe Buneary will evolve later on to compensate. Well that, and Dawn catches something new.

Charizard Lord

Probably Napping
This episode dissapointed me. To me, it seems that Ambipom didn't even leave for a good reason. Ping pong? Seriouisly? That monkey has been doing contests and battles throughout Sinnoh and it decides to leave for something that its liked for, what, two episodes? Plus, yet again, one of the main characters gave a Pokemon to a total stranger. Remember Ash and Primape? Those writers really seem to hate monkeys...

But thats not all. It also seems stupid that the writers have spent so much time developing that pokemon to just throw it away like this. Ambipom has been there a while, and now its gone just like that! Not to mention, Dawn gave up her strongest Pokemon. Sure, Mamoswines strong, but its had alot less training. But, like others have said, she will likely catch and evolve other Pokemon to compensate. Still, Ambipom shall be missed by this fan.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
This is definitely the biggest load of bull the writers pulled out of nowhere in a long time.

This release didn't really make any sense. Usually each release benefits the Pokemon in some way, (Butterfree fell in love, Lapras was reunited with its family), but this love for ping pong came out of virtually nowhere.

This Pokemon went through a trade and all that development to be a contest Pokemon, and then it gives it all up in the span of one episode.

In all seriousness this is the first thing in DP that has really bothered me. I suppose we'll care less as the series progressed, but right now it's the most moronic thing the writers have done in recent years.

pokefan16

yeah i agree

It didn't really make any sense. Ambipom just realized that she loved pingpong contest in just 1 DAY compared to the past contest she entered which is many times,I mean what the hell is going with the writers...

fishyfool

And a nice chianti
Oh, god, why the hell am I never on to see forum breakdowns like this?

Electivirus, there space in that shelter for me?

Bisasam

Bulbasaur
I loved Aipom with Ash, it was such a great Pokémon with a great personality, but when it was traded to Dawn and evolved, its personality faded away and so I thought, it wouldn't be that bad if it goes away. But then there was the scene where it has to choose between contests and Ping Pong. Then it just took the capsule ball, the Ping Pong ball, Ash's and Dawn's hat, and juggled with it. I loved that scene! The playful monkey, like in Aipom times. And it didn't forget that Ash was its trainer, it said goodbye to both of them simultaneously.

Now I really miss it and I hope it will become a Charizard and not a Primeape.

Linkdarkside

well it was obvious that she would have not kelp two normal type pokemons on her party.

Last edited:

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Oh that Ambipom. Switching trainers at the drop of a hat. Why, I tells ya, a year from now that ping-pong feller will take Ambipom near a juggling competition, and that monkey will fall in love with it and leave him for some other new fella. And then Ambipom'll leave that fella for a fella that does tightrope walking, and then she'll leave that fella for a fella who's involved with volleyball.

I'd like to say that I'm as outraged about this as the rest of you, but to be honest...I really didn't give a sheite about the monkey anymore. Yeah, the way they handled the release was lame, but it's hard to get worked up about it when Ambipom's as uninteresting as Buneary to me.

As for the rest:
-Why am I not surprised that they had to explain how ping pong worked?
-A ping-pong ball hit so hard it caught on fire? A random passerby who catches it with his bare hand? I'm not accidently watching one of those lame sport animes, am I? (well, aside from the fact that this episode is an episode where the viewer is essentially doing the most boring activity on earth:Watching other people play sports)
-I spy a girl with a Grovyle in that bracket!
-James looks right proper today. And what's with him and Brock always getting along so well when James is in disguise in the stands, hrm?
-That. That is the worst trophy that will ever be conceieved.
-Ash is really nervous about playing a simple game where you hit a ball with a paddle.
-Sometimes I think I pick really boring things to comment about. Then I remember that this episode is about fucking ping pong. Watching people/Pokemon hit a small ball back and forth across a table is SO EXCITING that I just can't do it justice in commentary.
-Drama! Alakazam hits the ball hard! Suspence! The ball bounces off the table! Excitement! Ambipom hits the ball!
-The writers avoid showing us the incredible drama and pathos of most of the tournement, sadly enough.
-The champ person(YEAH HE'S THE BEST AT PING PONG THAT IS SO AWESOME) sees great talent in Ambipom. It's like having the dream of being a doctor but some dude goes "hey you're good at stocking shelves" so you become a shelf stocker at Wal-mart.
-Jun loses. The episode loses...well okay, it's already lost all worth simply by being an episode about ping-pong.
-Relax Dawn! That guy's just one of the best at hitting balls across tables! No sweat!
-Ambipom carries the match by itself. You know your sport sucks when it's simple enough that a monkey can do it.
-Apparently Ambipom got injured during the ping-pong match? What, did it get tennis ping-pong elbow?
-"Well my monkey was going to be a famous contest Pokemon...okay I'll consider having it be a champ in a sport nobody cares about"
-Oh sure, Ambipom likes ping pong now, but like a small child, when it's forced to do rigorous training it'll quickly hate it and just wanna do contests again. Or it'll just plain lose interest when it's not shiny and new anymore.
-"Hi I came to ship my monkey off to get burnt out trying to become great at a sport people care about even less than they do golf"

Selfdestruct Togepi

Fangirls Beware!
Well.......

with Ambipom gone it leaves Dawn to try and get stonger, better and more fan-loved poke'mon (someones got to take up the 5th slot)

to tell you the truth though, I never really liked Ambipom *ducks and covers*