• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

To Thine Own Pokemon Be True! (592)

Dattebayo

Banned
I like how people get mad and call Dawn/ash/anyone dumb for giving a pokemon away... Do any of you pay attention to the show at all any?

Nope, during commercial breaks, I watch Punch Out!! videos to relieve myself to hear the fighters' voices after hearing the anime's.

PokemonHero

I can see the future
Anyway, does anyone know if where that BGM came from during the flashback scene? Like, if it was from a movie or anything?

You mean when it was showing all the scenes of Aipom/Ambipom? It sounds like it came from the Movie 9 soundtrack. It had the same choral style as much of the other music from the movie, as well as the background.

As for me, I was surprised when I first found out that Ambipom was leaving. However, unlike others who are extremely ****** off about it, I'm not. I mean, yes, it would've been nice to have her stick around with the Contests and all. However, you also must remember that Ambipom had just discovered something new that she was enjoying. As well, she was being commended by a top player. Ambipom has already done a lot in this saga. I mean, she took part in three Gym battles (two with Ash, one with Dawn), four Contests (two of which resulted ultimately in a Dawn win), as well as being traded and evolving. That's a lot more focus than people are realizing.

As well, I see a big difference between this and the Ash/Primeape release episode. For one, Primeape won the competition it entered, even though it should have not done that well, given lack of experience and the opponents. Dawn and Ambipom got far, but they lost. Ambipom leaving is trying to fulfill potential that is seen within her. Primeape left because it was already the champion, and really couldn't stick around with Ash.

For me, I think that it was something that the writers could have avoided doing, but it's not something that I'm majorly upset about.

As for the episode itself, I found it quite entertaining. Of course, they did add much for dramatic effect (flaming ping pong balls and breaking paddles), but it was nothing too bad. There were a few amusing moments, such as Brock and James interactions and Ash grabbing a fan. However, this was about Dawn and Ambipom, as it should be. I find that it was a much better episode than people are giving it credit for.

Last edited:

FlameRose

-Oh Dawn, you silly girl. How could you not know about ping-pong? :p
-Why is it that when James wears that disguise, he and Brock get along so well? Seriously, that's just hilarious, especially the scene with them being shoulder-to-shoulder.
-Good job to Dawn and Ambipom for making it so far. I'm so proud of them both!
-Why are Barry's facial expressions always so hilarious?
-Ambipom...I'm gonna miss you so much, but good luck. Hope to see you again someday!

All in all, minus the ending, I thought this was fine. 3.5/5 stars. Now...onto the Cherubi and Candice!

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
As for me, I was surprised when I first found out that Ambipom was leaving. However, unlike others who are extremely ****** off about it, I'm not. I mean, yes, it would've been nice to have her stick around with the Contests and all. However, you also must remember that Ambipom had just discovered something new that she was enjoying. As well, she was being commended by a top player. As well, Ambipom has already done a lot in this saga. I mean, she took part in three Gym battles (two with Ash, one with Dawn), four Contests (two of which resulted ultimately in a Dawn win), as well as being traded and evolving. That's a lot more focus than people are realizing.

Amen. I really enjoyed watching Aipom, starting in the episodes from the Battle Frontier when she debut. I'm personally glad she stook around when DP started. She really brighten my face for these past 3/4 years. :) Seeing her compete in battles/contest were quite amazing and Im glad to see her achieve. Trading between Ash and Dawn was something alright, but Im glad she was able to compete in Dawn's Contest. Then evolving came in, which was more exciting to see. Still a sight to see. With her newer talent, I wish her a lot of luck in her PingPong dream.

For me, I think that it was something that the writers could have avoided doing, but it's not something that I'm majorly upset about.

Same with me. I didn't feel all upset while watching this. I thought I was going to be that upset, but guess not. Glad I didn't feel the need to rant.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I need to see this episode on Youtube today. I guarantee I'll be fuming when Ambipom leaves.

PokemonHero

I can see the future
Amen. I really enjoyed watching Aipom, starting in the episodes from the Battle Frontier when she debut. I'm personally glad she stook around when DP started. She really brighten my face for these past 3/4 years. :) Seeing her compete in battles/contest were quite amazing and Im glad to see her achieve. Trading between Ash and Dawn was something alright, but Im glad she was able to compete in Dawn's Contest. Then evolving came in, which was more exciting to see. Still a sight to see. With her newer talent, I wish her a lot of luck in her PingPong dream.

Yeah, I liked that they introduced her in the Battle Frontier. They had a lot of character development for her.

And on a total unrelated note, I used "as well" one to many times in that paragraph.

popcorn dragon

Yeah, *shoots ambipoms head off* ambipom is probably my least favorite *blood gushes from its neck* so excited! Now Ou will have to put up with its antics!

pokedexfiller

Unova Trainer
it was so sad when ambipom left... all those memories... i could barely stand it... but it was so beautiful at the same time

FlashCannon

I Love Miltank!!
Hm Vermillion city,
Kinda hints the johto boat thing and going back to kanto.

Now im sure we will see ambipom agian

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
When Dawn asked Ash what he would do in this situation I was expecting a Primeape flashback. I guess I was wrong. I'm upset that Dawn got rid of Ambipom, since she was my favorite Pokemon on her team.

Still, the episode was okay.

I expect we'll see Ambipom in some cameo in the future. And did anyone notice that Dawn kept Ambipom's Pokeball rather give it away to Oi? That explains why Ambi is still in the opening. I love Barry/Jun's reactions in today's episode.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
This was one of the weirdest most random episodes I have ever watched, but I barely watch the anime, so whatever. Kinda sucks that the only good pokemon Dawn had, she gave away. Why don't people trade pokemon any more in the anime? Seriously though, other than the Buizel-Aipom trade, when was the last time in the anime someone traded as opposed to giving a pokemon away.

Also, when Meowth sliced the ping pong ball in half, was it just me or did anyone else notice Jesse saying "That's slice&dice, not slice&dice!!" to Meowth?

What did Meowth say before the ref disqualified him too?

STICKTOPIA

I don't recall Ash being so nervous like that b4. Ou said his training center or w/e is in vermilion city so i believe we will see ambipom again:D. Yes foxyman jessie did say that.

Gipauchii

Elite Trainer
I'm sorry, but this episode was garbage. This whole Ping Pong idea is rediculous and it's taken way more seriously then it should be. Plus this episode was pretty boring. I don't understand how such a lightweight ping pong ball can break a wooden paddle. And why was Dawn crying over a game of ping pong when Ambipom had to take over for her? That was just down-right overdramatic. It was sad that Ambipom left though. Overall, this episode wasn't good and it seemed as if the show creators couldn't think of anything good during the creation of this episode and just put Pokemon Ping Pong as the subject out of laziness just so they could move on with other episodes. Not a good way to handle an episode that is actually part of the main plot.

Terry. T.

One and Only...
I expect we'll see Ambipom in some cameo in the future. And did anyone notice that Dawn kept Ambipom's Pokeball rather give it away to Oi? That explains why Ambi is still in the opening. I love Barry/Jun's reactions in today's episode.

They'll probably change the intro now. But they didn't in Japan. But thios in tro was from GB ep 16.