• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tomba! to be released on PSN this summer.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/23/tomba-comes-to-playstation-network-as-a-psone-classic-this-summ/

One of Sony's most beloved first-party PlayStation 1 games is coming to the PS3 and PSP via ... a company other than Sony. Tomba!, the platformer starring the pink-haired caveman, will be released on the PlayStation Network soon by MonkeyPaw Games.

In addition to being just incredibly cute, Tomba! has some serious credentials. After an illustrious career at Capcom during which he designed the Ghosts 'n Goblins games and produced the Mega Man series, Tokuro Fujiwara founded his own studio, Whoopee Camp, where he directed Tomba! and its sequel for publisher Sony Computer Entertainment.

"Sony and MonkeyPaw have a good working relationship," MonkeyPaw CEO John Greiner told Joystiq. "I think they appreciate the titles we've brought to the Store. And they value the support we give the games. Having a plethora of Japanese content is a distinct advantage PlayStation has over Xbox. But the games still need to be brought Stateside. So our model helps Sony spread their Japanese edge and we help Japanese developers get their titles to a wider audience. Hence, Sony is willing to work with us on titles that may not have otherwise been licensed out. Support is key."

MonkeyPaw has been working on acquiring the Tomba! rights for a year. "We often have to chase down multiple right holders," Greiner said. "In this case, Sony and Whoopee Camp had rights that needed to be negotiated." The deal didn't necessarily include the sequel, however. "Tomba! 2 is a possibility but we need to really sell Tomba! 1 well before we can extend our relationship," Greiner explained. "It's the first time to work with Fujiwara-san so we're trying to make a good impression. Good sales have a way opening doors a bit wider."

As one who's been waiting forever for Tomba! to get re-released in some fashion, I'm absolutely ecstatic. Gonna have to "borrow" my brother's PS3 this summer. And here's hoping Tomba! 2 gets the same treatment.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Never played a Tomba! game in my life. I didn't grow up with the original Playstation so there's the reason why. Hell, I forgot who it was until I googled him just now. Anyone else in the same situation here?

Yep I am the same as well, hell even it wiki page doesn't give much detail.

What exactly is Tomba! game play like?

Zazie

So 1991
That's great news. I always wanted to play the Tomba! games but insane prices have kept me from picking them up. Hopefully they release Tomba! 2 as well. Another reason to pick up a Vita if I ever get the money. (seriously PS Classics is really starting to gain up on the Virtual Console, if it hasn't surpassed it by now.)

I remember Tomba! 2 getting some major coverage back in game informer when I was a kid. It was being hyped as the greatest platformer since Super Mario Brothers 3. Sadly it didn't do well, probably because it didn't have an animal mascot.

What exactly is Tomba! game play like?

2d platformer. The sequel is a 3d platformer.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Tomba! (and it's sequel) is an Action/Adventure-esque 2D platformer rendered with 3D graphics, similar to Klonoa, and more recently, the Classic levels of Sonic Generations. Tomba travels from location to location, upgrading his tunics and his weapons along the way, and solves a plethora of missions that are activated as you go through the game; some missions are story-related, some of them are extras that you can complete for points or extra items.

The main goal of the game is to find and defeat the 7 Evil Pigs who have transformed the world into a psychedelic place, and whose entrances to their abodes are hidden from view (and oftentimes are hidden way out of the way regardless) until you gain their respective Evil Pig Bag to capture them, in order to regain Tomba's grandfather's bracelet. The world Tomba travels in is connected; if the road Tomba is on is traveled all the way through, he will eventually reach back to where he started at the beginning of the game. The sections of the world are unique, vibrant, have their own peculiar gimmicks and quirks, and are overall very memorable; I haven't played the original game in nearly a decade, and I can still vividly remember the second section of the game.

Overall, it's a fun little gem that never takes itself too seriously - Tomba is a pink-haired superstrong kid with a monkey in drag and a flying dog with Dumbo-like ears for friends, and even uses his own stomach to store his items, including live baby chicks, instead of a bag or knapsack. The games basks in its zaniness and is so much better because of it.

The first portion of the game.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I remember the Tomba! series existing, but not playing them. But if it plays like Klonoa as stated... well, I do like those games, so hopefully these are good, too.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Tomba! (and it's sequel) is an Action/Adventure-esque 2D platformer rendered with 3D graphics, similar to Klonoa, and more recently, the Classic levels of Sonic Generations. Tomba travels from location to location, upgrading his tunics and his weapons along the way, and solves a plethora of missions that are activated as you go through the game; some missions are story-related, some of them are extras that you can complete for points or extra items.

The main goal of the game is to find and defeat the 7 Evil Pigs who have transformed the world into a psychedelic place, and whose entrances to their abodes are hidden from view (and oftentimes are hidden way out of the way regardless) until you gain their respective Evil Pig Bag to capture them, in order to regain Tomba's grandfather's bracelet. The world Tomba travels in is connected; if the road Tomba is on is traveled all the way through, he will eventually reach back to where he started at the beginning of the game. The sections of the world are unique, vibrant, have their own peculiar gimmicks and quirks, and are overall very memorable; I haven't played the original game in nearly a decade, and I can still vividly remember the second section of the game.

Overall, it's a fun little gem that never takes itself too seriously - Tomba is a pink-haired superstrong kid with a monkey in drag and a flying dog with Dumbo-like ears for friends, and even uses his own stomach to store his items, including live baby chicks, instead of a bag or knapsack. The games basks in its zaniness and is so much better because of it.

The first portion of the game.

I just watched the video and I am interested in the game, it looks like that it is fun to play.

Silver Bolt

Undying flames
Oh yes! It's finally happening! I've been waiting for this for a long time. This game and the sequel are two of my favorite games of all time. I'm really looking forward to playing this wonderful game again.

Jerre

Gogoat!
That is great news! Iv'e always played the Demo and i still have it. Well, i never played the full game though... But i never played the sequel.