1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Too young to post?

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by FE21, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Sadib

Sadib Time Lord Victorious

Censor bypassing is against the rules. I don't know whether or not mods are infracting the offenders, but they're surly not editing the posts afterward.

2. THRILLHO

THRILLHO nothin' at all

uhhhhh yeah it can, parental supervision when using the internet is a must

way to pull that out of nowhere, i'm pretty sure a tiny amount of kids under the age of 6 or 7 can even figure out how to PLAY the game. i have 4 year old cousins and they sure as hell aren't smart enough yet to figure out strategies or how to use the internet by themselves.

we do, and i'm sure you don't know what it involves so please don't try to tell us how to do our jobs.

any more discussion on how much work the mods are doing will be considered spam and infractable, thanks!

3. Vernikova

Vernikova Champion

If you own a site then you can set the age limit to whatever you want. Oh? You say that you can lie about your age and sign up anyway? Good. If you see something that you don't like or someone says something that gets you mad, then you can only blame yourself for it.

I don't care about age limits. I've always been over the age limit whenever a site stated that they had one so it never bothered me.

4. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

You do know that this is in no way correct, right?

Either way, back when I was young, I lied about my age and such many times. Not everyone is going to be scared for life by being exposed to something "inappropriate."

5. Sadib

Sadib Time Lord Victorious

I think they're being scared because some stupid kid is going get conned online and end up getting raped. It happens.

6. Hey I'm ten and you don't see me trolling the Serebii forums, do you?
    I don't have a Facebook/Twitter, things like that as I'm too young. Ok maybe I lied slightly, I'm eleven in ten days, on march the eigth but ya know what I mean.
    I am on these forums as tbh a swear word doesn't offend me. But I do understand the age limit one fb/twitter as they don't have similar rules to this forum rof awesome pokemon stuff:)

7. happyhappy

happyhappy Banned

kids and teenagers are pretentious and arrogant and always think they know/understand more than they do. get over this age discrimination, there are more serious forms of discrimination about, like against republicans, just suck and up and get over yourself, at least YOU can grow out of it.

8. Kaiserin

Kaiserin please wake up...

Biased AGAINST Republicans? Republicans, who have admitted they need to be more inclusive to anyone who is not white, straight, or male because their dated ideologies are losing them support, and yet have done little to nothing to actually act on these admissions? Whose prominent party members have continued to make racist/sexist/homophobic comments as though it wasn't a big deal? Who endorsed a man who was incredibly unabashed about his disregard for people of color, people below the poverty line, women, people with disabilities, the elderly, and anyone who doesn't fit his idea of who/what a working-class American should be?

Let me play you the world's smallest violin! Comparing "discrimination against young people" to "discrimination against Republicans" is the weakest possible comparison you could come up with, not only because the Republicans can cry me a goddamn river for all I care when it comes to not having one of their representatives elected president for eight years (lord forbid), but because... age discrimination is not a thing. At all. If you're under legal age, you can damn well wait like the rest of us. Sucks to hear, believe me, I understand, but you're not special enough snowflakes to demand equality the same way all the groups Republicans routinely ignore and demean do.

I don't have any sympathy for this argument, sorry.

9. yuoke

yuoke Treasure huntin'

Kids should be allowed kn, but it's their problem if they get into anything that they don't like.

10. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

Age restrictions shall exist though people don't obey it.

In the end you can say that at least you tried to avoid children of acessing censored content.

11. Byzantine

Byzantine Well-Known Member

I always just lied. A number of sites still have me a bit older than I really am as they have no way to adjust age settings.

Anyway, while I do think that many age based restrictions are silly and arbitrary, I do understand they are trying to protect kids. Though I doubt they accomplish that very well.

12. Pokeshipper:)

Pokeshipper:) Active Member

Like other people said, it depends on the maturity of the kid, if they can handle different opinions.

13. fitzy909

fitzy909 Just another guy

yeah. I mean you will get people who go round it, it is just ticking a box that says 'i am at least...'. there is no way of telling if it is true. as long as they understand what they are signing up for then they should be allowed to do so. if they can make a mature decison then let them do so. we can't stop them, only warn them.

14. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

Here's the fact of the matter. If you are the webmaster of a web site or forum, and children see it, you are the one who gets in trouble if something happens, or if a kid sees something they shouldn't, especially if there's no age restriction. It doesn't matter what you say, or how you try and justify it. Parents will not see it that way. I've seen this happen. I've been there when soccer moms have complained. I've seen situations with children that caused websites to crash and burn, and the scary thing is, it doesn't take much. On a rather large forum I used to visit a few years back, it only took one incident where a kid's mother complained to authorities that her kid was being harrassed, to shut down the whole place, lock, stock and barrel.

You can blame the people who were on the site or the kids who shouldn't have been there until you're blue in the face. But at the end of the day, the buck stops with the webmaster. He was the one that got in trouble for it, not the kids.

And yeah, it's scary to think that this kind of thing can happen. But it can, and it does.

15. Serebii stated that there isn't an age limit on this forum. This is mostly because COPPA doesn't necessarily apply to the UK. Even so as long as you act mature and behave well then you're fine here.

But in the end, age limits restricting children on forums are pretty much useless. We have parents buying Call of Duty for kids, we have little children running on FPS'es like Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike and others.

To be fair, I've always lied, because if I hadn't lied about my age at any point on the internet then I probably wouldn't even be here. The only game that I couldn't actually play and couldn't get away with lying is Second Life. That looked like a perfect imitation of real life, but you have to prove your age by verifying your identity to the publishers.

16. John Madden

John Madden resident policy guy

Yeah, age limits do absolutely nothing to enforce COPPA in its area of jurisdiction without the users actually divulging their age - paywalls (like Something Awful's) and email restrictions (like NeoGAF's) tend to do that much more effectively.

17. Lolsgod

Lolsgod Sexy Trainer

Not just to change the topic, because this kinda relates. What do you guys think of people under age playing rated M games? especially your ones like COD where you can communicate with one another

18. Zim Del Invasor

Zim Del Invasor Well-Known Member

I firmly believe that everyone under the age of 12-13 years old should be barred from ever posting anything on the Internet. It would benefit them by preventing them from inevitably feeling horrible, horrible, soul-crushing shame as a result of happening upon old posts that they can't believe were actually typed by their former self, and it would benefit everyone else by preventing them from reading the kind of nonsense that 11-year-olds tend to post on the Internet.

(I might be biased and responding emotionally to the fact that I'm speaking as someone who just came across this website again and is being forced to come face-to-face with the kinds of things he posted at age 11 for the very first time, but still.)

19. pokemonmaster99325

pokemonmaster99325 pokemon master!!!!

I think it really depends on what site kids go on. They may also lie about their age and they might see somthing that like worries them or something. I guess they try and make websites safe.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  20. Mew The Gato

Mew The Gato ___________

But they are just as likely to not heed that "warning" as they are to lie about their age.

I do not really think classifying someone as too young to post is good. As the original poster says, it limits our knowledge. Being in a society with older people can be helpful: it lets us learn many things we may not know, it increases our vocabulary, etc. I know, there are offensive things not meant for children, but they would get to know about them sooner or later, we cannot have them living under a rock, so how about preparing them beforehand?

A common misconception is that age would indicate mental maturity. I disagree: knowing more can actually help people become more mature and accepting. No use in stalling it.

Volcer and Cassafrass1999 like this.