• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Toonami is doing good

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Yeah, "we're not going anywhere" is blatant damage control. KLK is probably the last new show it's getting before it dies.

voicerocker

Platinum Master
That's what I didn't get. Why show repeats instead of new movies? I actually liked the month of movies last time, but the recent one felt tedious because half of them were movies we had already seen the previous time.

According to them, they were pretty much out of money for new movies because of all the shows they picked up in 2014.

Why did FUNimation go through the trouble of re-dubbing the series when there wasn't a need for it? Cartoon Network could've aired the original FUNimation dub on Toonami's Adult Swim block and got better TV ratings than the Kai dub. I didn't spot any flaws in terms of the original dialogue and voice acting from the original FUNimation dub including the BGM by Bruce Faulconer considering how iconic they've become to the series compared to the Kai dub where they changed Goku's "Spirit Bomb" to "Spirit Wave" and Frieza's "Death Ball" to "Supernova" which was completely unnecessary (although it was probably from the edited version of the Kai dub that was previously aired on Nicktoons), not to mention the fact that the English Dub Opening and Ending Themes for the Kai dub doesn't hold a candle to the "Rock the Dragon" Opening Theme from the Ocean/Pioneer dub let alone the "Cha-La Head-Cha-La" Japanese Opening Theme by Hironobu Kageyama.

FUNimation obviously didn't HAVE to rerecord lines for the original DBZ, but decided to anyway. It's likely they felt it was necessary, and has someone who has heard every dub that's aired on Cartoon Network since DBZ started airing there, the replaced lines are definitely better. And DBZ Kai's acting is much better overall than the original.

"Spirit Wave" or "Spirit Blast" used in Kai was probably from the vortexx run of Kai. Nicktoons actually had only minor edits to the show. Toonami cuts the opening to Kai for time anyway, so 30 seconds of Dragon Soul isn't that big of a deal. (Rock the Dragon only ever played for the Ocean dub movies, not for the series itself on CN)

One of my friends told me about it a few years ago, I guess he was wrong. I looked up some info online about Deadman Wonderland on Toonami's Adult Swim block and it was temporarily replaced with Samurai 7 according to Wikipedia however I couldn't find any information about a temporary cancellation of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I still wouldn't mind Toonami airing English Dubs for Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, and Sailor Moon (Viz Media Dub) but it still seems like Cartoon Network still has licensing issues to get those shows aired on TV for some reason.

Deadman Wonderland wasn't "temporarily" replaced with Samurai 7. Both shows aired every episode. Deadman ended and was replaced with Samurai 7. Samurai 7 ended and was replaced by Soul Eater. Soul Eater ended and was replaced with Black Lagoon....

Evangelion also aired every episode if I'm not mistaken, but that was years ago so I'm not sure.

Toonami has already said no to Ranma 1/2 saying it's too old and probably not a good fit for the block. Sailor Moon is a heavily requested show for them, but they said that of the 2 Sailor Moon anime, Sailor Moon Crystal is the more requested show.

Yeah, "we're not going anywhere" is blatant damage control. KLK is probably the last new show it's getting before it dies.

According to them, they've already got several new shows planned to premiere this year. Unless the block tanks completely (which I'm not expecting since DBZ Kai just pulled much higher ratings than AoT reruns), I think Toonami will still be around for the rest of the year at least.

Vernikova

Champion
Because I've always liked ASA more than revamped Toonami, I have no problem with Toonami going away.

Kill La Kill should definitely air before Kai. I might watch it On Demand solely because it airs after Kai.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
According to them, they've already got several new shows planned to premiere this year. Unless the block tanks completely (which I'm not expecting since DBZ Kai just pulled much higher ratings than AoT reruns), I think Toonami will still be around for the rest of the year at least.

Usually when it comes to television numbers like this, you have to look for trends. DBZ Kai pulling huge numbers could be a one time thing; what we have to watch for is if that's sustained. If it hangs in there, I agree with you.

Based purely on gut instinct I have right now, I suspect we will see either Psycho-Pass or Guilty Crown this year, with Danganronpa as a dark horse given the popularity of the game. If they make it to showing any more movies Eva 3.33 has to be next, I can't imagine that taking much longer.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Usually when it comes to television numbers like this, you have to look for trends. DBZ Kai pulling huge numbers could be a one time thing; what we have to watch for is if that's sustained. If it hangs in there, I agree with you.

Based purely on gut instinct I have right now, I suspect we will see either Psycho-Pass or Guilty Crown this year, with Danganronpa as a dark horse given the popularity of the game. If they make it to showing any more movies Eva 3.33 has to be next, I can't imagine that taking much longer.

Danganronpa? The animation is going to get a dub?

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Toonami has already said no to Ranma 1/2 saying it's too old and probably not a good fit for the block. Sailor Moon is a heavily requested show for them, but they said that of the 2 Sailor Moon anime, Sailor Moon Crystal is the more requested show.
With Sailor Moon just being in the name, maybe it could pull a few nostalgia bucks in...? Though SMC isn't really that great of a show unfortunately, I'm happy to see DBZ Kai doing well. I like DBZ and always will so it does my heart well to see it can rake in nice viewership, I only expect that to increase once we really get into the Freeza/Saiyan stuff more. I want to see Danganronpa on the block but again it's risky.

Rio!

Composer
Toonami is losing the 5am hour due to low ratings. Last night, they lost 5:30am and starting this week, Toonami will end at 5am instead of 6am. That timeslot will be replaced with an hour of King of the Hill for the foreseeable future.

Also, Kill la Kill's planned premiere in the 11:30PM timeslot has been scrapped since DBZ Kai will be airing there from now on. Attack on Titan will move behind Deadman Wonderland. KLK will still premiere on the original date that was set, but they don't know where it will be on the block yet.

=====
There was also a Toonami Q&A today. Here's some info from that:

The Intruder II event will not be affected by the loss of the 5am hour.
It is possible that if ratings improve, Toonami can get the 5am hour back.
The most requested show from Sentai Filmworks is Akame Ga Kill.
Attack on Titan reruns did not do very well for them.
Toonami won't be airing Transformers Prime just because CN is getting Transformers: Robots in Disguise.
Toonami won't be airing any sports anime.
While Toonami isn't happy about losing the 5am hour, they don't consider it a big deal.
Toonami won't be airing the original Teen Titans series.
The Month of Movies for 2014 did not do well, except for Broly.
Top 5 requested shows: Attack on Titan season 2, Sword Art Online II, Kill la Kill (which is coming), Sailor Moon Crystal, and any Gundam show.
Kill la Kill will likely need some censoring, but it will be as unedited as humanly possible, the same as Deadman, Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon.
Toonami will likely not be airing Death Note.
Toonami might be willing to do a Month of DBZ Movies, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.
The most well received shows for 2014 were Attack on Titan and DBZ Kai.
Toonami will likely not re-air Bobobo Bo Bo Bobo.
They'd like to air Gundam, but the rights situation is a mess.
Toonami likes Steven Universe, but thinks it wouldn't fit on the block.
It is unlikely that there will be another Month of Movies this year.
Toonami is unlikely to gain the 11PM timslot.
Toonami would like to air Eva 3.33, but that is another messy situation.
Toonami would be willing to air "girly" shows as long as they are action heavy.
Toonami would be willing to air more American action cartoons if there were any available to them.
It's still highly unlikely Toonami will ever air on another day besides Saturday.
Toonami is still willing to air dark/gore shows like AoT and Hellsing and Deadman.
Toonami does hope to air the next season of Attack on Titan.

Anyone else getting just a *smidge* tired of Attack on Titan? My goodness; we've had the original run, then some night of a marathon; it properly finishes up, then it re-started again not too long ago.

I did notice this coming week while I was setting programs to record that King of the Hill was in that last 5-6 block.

The lower ratings somehow just doesn't surprise me though. I am fairly interested in seeing what this later year is going to look like though...

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Toonami is officially downsizing to a 3.5 hour block starting on February 7th. Toonami is losing the 11:30PM timeslot and the 3:30AM-6AM hours. Kill la Kill will premiere at 12:30AM behind DBZ Kai at midnight. This will be the schedule until Deadman Wonderland ends.

12:00AM - Dragon Ball Z Kai
12:30AM - Kill la Kill
1:00AM - Naruto Shippuden
1:30AM - InuYasha: The Final Act
2:00AM - Gurren Lagann
2:30AM - One Piece'
3:00AM - Deadman Wonderland

Toonami has assured fans though that they aren't going anywhere and that they still have the Intruder II event happening this year, plus several more new shows set to premiere this year, and other goodies and the Toonami comic that will tie into the Intruder II.

Shows like IGPX, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell that were rerunning in those late hours may or may not return.

NOTE: This past weekend, Dragon Ball Z Kai's surprise airing at 11:30PM drew 1.321 million viewers, much higher than recent Attack on Titan ratings in that timeslot. This is just one night, but perhaps it's a sign that things may improve without Attack on Titan reruns opening the block.

Yikes, even worse than I expected. That's practically half of the block right there. Yeah, I give Toonami a year before it dies.

voicerocker

Platinum Master
Because I've always liked ASA more than revamped Toonami, I have no problem with Toonami going away.

Kill La Kill should definitely air before Kai. I might watch it On Demand solely because it airs after Kai.

If Toonami's ratings were to drop enough to get it canceled, it would likely be the end of anime on [adult swim]. ASA was widely considered to be dead and pointless for the last few years before Toonami's return in 2012. I suppose they could just run Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Dandy and season 2 of Big O every Saturday like they use to, but no one would care.

Kill La Kill was going to air before Kai before Toonami lost their time. Kai hasn't had any ratings slips like Shippuden and One Piece have, so having 1 strong anchor show upfront (like Bleach was forever) is good for them. They probably feel that this sudden focus on cutting time and maximizing ratings with only 3.5 hours is not the right time to risk opening Toonami with a show that may or may not get a warm reception from [as] viewers. (It's Kill la Kill after all. Not everyone is going to love the constant near-naked girls in every episode) Besides, if it does extremely well, they might swap it and Kai around, or maybe even get 11:30PM back. Given the situation, I think they made the right call there.

Kai did beat Attack on Titan reruns a few nights. The first airing of Cooler's Revenge also beat a premiere AoT episode back in May and the Broly movie was the only real success of last year's Month of Movies. DBZ still has a strong audience. Last week's episode of Kai was the 2nd highest rated show on [adult swim] that night, losing only to the American Dad episode that aired right before it. (Kai even beat that night's Family Guy episode, which is impressive since that is [as]'s main ratings grabber). I suspect a lot of people were happily surprised to see DBZ airing at 11:30PM instead of AoT and were happy to tune in. The best part is that in that episode, Vegeta and Nappa arrived on Earth, so those viewers who watched that night now know that one of the big fights is about to start and may decide to start following the show even as it moves back to midnight. But like you said, we'll need to see a few more nights.

With Sailor Moon just being in the name, maybe it could pull a few nostalgia bucks in...? Though SMC isn't really that great of a show unfortunately, I'm happy to see DBZ Kai doing well. I like DBZ and always will so it does my heart well to see it can rake in nice viewership, I only expect that to increase once we really get into the Freeza/Saiyan stuff more. I want to see Danganronpa on the block but again it's risky.

I have a feeling Sailor Moon Crystal would do just fine. For all the hate I see for Crystal, it's still headed to Japanese TV soon, meaning there had to be a lot of people watching it online. And according to Toonami, Crystal is the more requested of the 2 shows, so it's got fans that want it on American TV too.

Anyone else getting just a *smidge* tired of Attack on Titan? My goodness; we've had the original run, then some night of a marathon; it properly finishes up, then it re-started again not too long ago.

I did notice this coming week while I was setting programs to record that King of the Hill was in that last 5-6 block.

The lower ratings somehow just doesn't surprise me though. I am fairly interested in seeing what this later year is going to look like though...

Good news for you, Attack on Titan will no longer be on Toonami...at least for now. I think it's possible they might bring it back once Deadman Wonderland ends, but that's just a guess.

Yikes, even worse than I expected. That's practically half of the block right there. Yeah, I give Toonami a year before it dies.

None of the premieres are leaving. The only shows cut were reruns and even then, Deadman Wonderland reruns weren't cut. [adult swim] seems to be trying to get higher ratings for Saturday night. If they had truly wanted Toonami gone, they would've canceled altogether. It's also possible that [as] thinks that putting Toonami between strong comedies like Family Guy and American Dad might improve Toonami's ratings. DBZ Kai's last minute move to 11:30PM pulled very good numbers, though there was a considerable drop from Kai to Shippuden.

Vernikova

Champion
If Toonami's ratings were to drop enough to get it canceled, it would likely be the end of anime on [adult swim]. ASA was widely considered to be dead and pointless for the last few years before Toonami's return in 2012. I suppose they could just run Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Dandy and season 2 of Big O every Saturday like they use to, but no one would care.

Dead and tired sure, but the few shows they did pick up were better than almost everything Toonami has picked to air outside of movie months.

Poke Trainer J

FUNimation obviously didn't HAVE to rerecord lines for the original DBZ, but decided to anyway. It's likely they felt it was necessary, and has someone who has heard every dub that's aired on Cartoon Network since DBZ started airing there, the replaced lines are definitely better. And DBZ Kai's acting is much better overall than the original.

"Spirit Wave" or "Spirit Blast" used in Kai was probably from the vortexx run of Kai. Nicktoons actually had only minor edits to the show. Toonami cuts the opening to Kai for time anyway, so 30 seconds of Dragon Soul isn't that big of a deal. (Rock the Dragon only ever played for the Ocean dub movies, not for the series itself on CN)

I probably wouldn't have minded the replacement of dialogue If they kept in the original voice actors, I still prefer the original over DBZ Kai let alone Dragon Ball Z Abridged by Team Four Star on YouTube. What's sad is that there's some people out there who actually prefer the non-profit based parody over the original dubs by Ocean/Pioneer and FUNimation who aren't real fans of the series, that's like saying Space Balls is canon instead of the original Star Wars films by George Lucas. :/

Deadman Wonderland wasn't "temporarily" replaced with Samurai 7. Both shows aired every episode. Deadman ended and was replaced with Samurai 7. Samurai 7 ended and was replaced by Soul Eater. Soul Eater ended and was replaced with Black Lagoon....

Evangelion also aired every episode if I'm not mistaken, but that was years ago so I'm not sure.

It's not like they're trying to cater to a young demographic of otaku are they cause to me that's what it sounds like.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
No need to worry. Technically speaking Toonami is a branch of Adult swim content wise and Adult swim did a really good job of keeping the late night anime torch lit during Toonami's absence. Also, when a block dies it is usually the result of many mistakes clumping together, since Toonami has already disappeared once, I am confident that it would be very unlikely to happen again. (even if the block went down to a single, 30 minute time slot)

Samurai Jack had reached a good stopping point already and the rest of those time slots were mostly just holding reruns anyway. I see no problem with sharing some programming space with an allied (mostly) animated block.

Unlikely as it may be, personally I would like to see Toonami retake some of the afternoon weekday time slots or some of Saturday night. That way they could have more flexibility for shows that do not necessarily need to be airing in the middle of the night. (Naruto, Big O and others would be far stronger in a day slot)

Another move that would be awesome, is if Toonami could somehow pick up the shows from the fallen KidsWB/ Vortexx lineups. I would think that they should be dirt cheap by now and the editing has been taken care of several times over. Yugioh on Cartoon network? OK. Megaman NT warrior? (which I still have not seen the end of) Heck yes please! (actually Yugioh GX was on Cartoon network at some point)

I still prefer the original over DBZ Kai
Agreed, it is probably far too bulky to only be shown one night a week but set it up as the leader of an afternoon block and then we have got ourselves a winning combination!

Toonami does not need all of Mon - Fri but even just a couple of days would go a long way for the less gory shows.

Last edited:

voicerocker

Platinum Master
Last weekend, DBZ Kai pulled 1.513 million viewers at 11:30PM, once again beating Family Guy. That also surpasses Attack on Titan's highest rating of 1.507 million viewers and is the 2nd highest rating overall for a Toonami show since 2012. (Bleach pulled 1.559 once) Things are looking good with having DBZ Kai open the night. Hopefully now that the Saiyan fight is well underway, viewers will still tune in at midnight and stay with the block as long as possible.

For anyone interested, the Toonami Faithful Podcast recently interviewed the head of Toonami, Jason DeMarco. Here's the link: http://podcast.toonamifaithful.com/...jason-demarcos-state-of-toonami-address-2015/

A few things to take away from that is that Toonami is actually happy about being only 3.5 hours and that they never wanted to go 6 hours in the first place, the network was who wanted a full 6 hour Toonami.

Also, there's some stuff about The Intruder II, talks of changes coming later this year, trying to get stuff from Discotek and Rightstuf, trying to get Gundam, fans wanting Yu Yu Hakusho and Outlaw Star. But the last part is the most important: Toonami is in no immediate danger of being canceled in the near future.

I probably wouldn't have minded the replacement of dialogue If they kept in the original voice actors, I still prefer the original over DBZ Kai let alone Dragon Ball Z Abridged by Team Four Star on YouTube. What's sad is that there's some people out there who actually prefer the non-profit based parody over the original dubs by Ocean/Pioneer and FUNimation who aren't real fans of the series, that's like saying Space Balls is canon instead of the original Star Wars films by George Lucas. :/

I know Chris Sabat, Sonny Strait and Linda Young all did the replacement audio for the Orange Boxes for DBZ. Any recasts were probably because people moved or got out of voice acting since DBZ was originally recorded. Sabat recently mentioned that the first voice of Chiaotzu was a librarian and he had no idea where she even lived now. That's just how it works. Actors move away or change careers, FUNi has to find new VAs.

I like DBZ Abridged and I think they're a talented bunch of people, but I still think Kai's dub is the dub DBZ deserves without the awkwardness of having a 90s dub. Even great dubs like Cowboy Bebop still have little minor issues that simply come from being a product of that era of dubbing. And that's not to see I don't also enjoy the old Ocean dub or FUNi's original dub. The only dub of DBZ I've heard that I didn't like was the "big green" dub of Broly I've seen clips of from YouTube.

It's not like they're trying to cater to a young demographic of otaku are they cause to me that's what it sounds like.

Toonami's main goal is to try to appeal to new and old fans, but not specifically anime fans. Toonami themselves have admitted that hardcore otaku aren't who they are trying to appeal to. That's why Toonami is strictly action oriented and even in 2015, DBZ is still a big draw for them. I even see on Twitter where people said "Wow! Kill la Kill was great! Can't wait for more next week" only for some people to say "Why wait? KLK's online for free. Just go watch it online".

No need to worry. Technically speaking Toonami is a branch of Adult swim content wise and Adult swim did a really good job of keeping the late night anime torch lit during Toonami's absence. Also, when a block dies it is usually the result of many mistakes clumping together, since Toonami has already disappeared once, I am confident that it would be very unlikely to happen again. (even if the block went down to a single, 30 minute time slot)

[adult swim] ACTION was mostly considered dead right before Toonami returned. [as] was only getting 1 or 2 anime premieres a year while Toonami has premiered much more. I'm not so sure [as] would still run anime (or at least get new shows) if Toonami were actually canceled.

Unlikely as it may be, personally I would like to see Toonami retake some of the afternoon weekday time slots or some of Saturday night. That way they could have more flexibility for shows that do not necessarily need to be airing in the middle of the night. (Naruto, Big O and others would be far stronger in a day slot)

Toonami has already said they'll never go back to daytime Cartoon Network. CN is only interested in Pokemon and Beyblade these days, probably because there's a chance they're getting a slice of the merch. profits. And they said that Toonami won't be airing outside of Saturday nights simply because [as]'s comedies do much better than [as]'s anime does. There's a reason why [as] pays for all of those Fox reruns.

Another move that would be awesome, is if Toonami could somehow pick up the shows from the fallen KidsWB/ Vortexx lineups. I would think that they should be dirt cheap by now and the editing has been taken care of several times over. Yugioh on Cartoon network? OK. Megaman NT warrior? (which I still have not seen the end of) Heck yes please! (actually Yugioh GX was on Cartoon network at some point)

Agreed, it is probably far too bulky to only be shown one night a week but set it up as the leader of an afternoon block and then we have got ourselves a winning combination!

Toonami does not need all of Mon - Fri but even just a couple of days would go a long way for the less gory shows.

Toonami did pick up DBZ Kai, but it's DBZ. Toonami and DBZ together just makes sense.

Yu-gi-oh is on Nicktoons now...or at least Zexal is. I think they still run the original from time to time. (Though, Toonami said no card based anime would ever air, so no Yu-gi-oh even if it was available)

MegaMan likely falls into the same category of show Pokemon does, and it's not really adult oriented in any way, even for DBZ, One Piece or Naruto standards. They aired it on CN Toonami before I think, but you probably won't see it on [adult swim].

My hope for Toonami is that they start looking for shows outside of just Aniplex, FUNimation or Viz. Sentai has a few shows that could work on the block, and DC Comics is producing a Vixen animated series for CW Seed that is a part of the Arrow and The Flash continuity. There's also Cannon Busters in the works, which will hopefully become a full series. (The creator has said he'd love to see it on Toonami eventually) These are probably long shots, at least right now, but I'm hoping the future will hold some good stuff for Toonami that isn't available right now.

Vernikova

Champion
My mind boggles as t ow people can watch a mediocre show that aired on two different networks with relatively minor edits.

voicerocker

Platinum Master

voicerocker

Platinum Master
Or a rather best day ever. Hurray!

Michelle Ruff? Oh, awesome. We have Etna in the ride too.

Sword Art Online is the most overrated anime I've ever watched...or should I say, tried to watch. I dropped the first season at Ep.15 on Toonami when they introduced the incest plot. Beyond its pretty animation, it's a bad romance show.

And Kirito is the ultimate perfect character. He is SAO's John Cena.