• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Top 10 most creative and noncreative looking pokemon

yeminied

Creative to me is taking an animal (in most cases), modifying it to the point where it resembles the animal but is still individual.

Chimchar is a good example of this.

It is obvious that Chimchar is based off of some sort of primate yet it has features that make it not a primate. Note the tail of fire and body shape. Looking at Chimchar we can say, "Hey, that looks like a [insert name of primate here] but it's not, it's a monster."

Squirtle is not a good example of this.

It is obvious that Squirtle is based off of a turtle (LOL, I typed Squirtle here), yet it does not have features that make it not a turtle, if you get what I'm saying. It is just a turtle that has been modified slightly. There is nothing about Squirtle that I can think of that makes it different from a real life turtle.

Another thing that makes something creative is a less than obvious reason for the Pokemon having a certain name of feature. I really like the reason someone above me gave for Teddiursa having a crescent moon on its forehead. I had no idea and this just really impressed me. Another is Torterra. Once you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Tortoise+Terra. Torterra is obviously based off of a tortoise of sorts but has features that make it different to a tortoise (going back to my previous point). This is where the Tor comes from, but what about the Terra I hear you asking. Well IIRC Terra is the Greek/Roman name for the element earth. And since Torterra gains a ground type upon evolution then this is just great and it really impressed me when I put two and two together.

Another thing that makes a Poké(just worked out how to do that!)mon creative is its evolutions. What I see a creative evolution as is the designers not just slapping something on the first Pokemon and calling it a day. Note Rapidash: the designers just slapped a horn on Ponyta and called it a day, and don't try to argue with me, it's true and you know it.
Note Kabutops: The way I look at it the designers took their final copy of Kabuto and really thought about what to have it evolve into. There are numerous differences between Kabuto and Kabutops but they still look related. That to me is creative.

These are just my opinions so don't hate me for them, and you can't say I am bias to the 4th gen. I do actually like many 1st gen Pokemon, I just don't think they are creative.

The King of Ho-oh's

<---- Newest Shiny
My Top Creative 10:
Umbreon/Espeon
Nido's
Shuckle
Shedinja
Mew
Magicarp line
Ho-oh
Tropius
Relicanth
Ditto

My Least Creative 10:
Garchomp
Arceus
Dialga
Palkia
Swalot
Glameow line
Seel
Feebas line
Manaphy
Geodude

warnerbroman

the Blue trainer
Top 10 most creative:
-both Nidoran lines, reptile, rabbits that are poisonous! :D.
-Flygon
-Toxicroak
-Froslass
-Cradily
-Typhlosion
-Aggron
-Slowbro
-Breloom
-Drifloon

Top 10 uncreative:

-Charizard (may be cool, but he's pretty much just a dragon with a flame on it's tail)
-Seel
-Picharisu
-Relicanth
-Luvdisc
-Cherim
-Dragonite (again another basic dragon)
-Unown
-Geodude
-Garchomp

The only reason Salamance is not on that list is because of those disk shaped wings of his, never would have thought of those and they look really awesome.

how is garchomp not creative it a shark and a fighter plane

MrPostman

Viceroy
Although I meant to post in the concentrated hate thread when I posted that, here:
Uncreative = Goldeen (just a normal fish?), Ursaring (just a normal bear?), Rattata (just a normal rat?), but the worst offender in my opinion is Krabby. Krabby? A crab named Krabby...
yeminisid said:
blah blah double standards blah blah
Saph said:
A lot of 1st Gen Pokemon are basically modified animals, tangent about how Gen 3 is superior to 1 despite doing the same thing and resusing animals blah blah

how is garchomp not creative it a shark and a fighter plane
It could be said we already have a shark (Sharpedo). It could also be said we also already have jet pokemon (Lat@s, Skarmory(?)).

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Carvanha_(Pokémon)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sharpedo_(Pokémon)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Garchomp_(Pokémon)

Besides both being sharks, you'll notice Sharpedo and Garchomp both have a yellow star on their heads and blue skin. Also notice the red and yellow on Garchomp's stomach, just like Carvanha's underside.

Thebritains

Soul Searchin'
creative
personally dratini/dragonair get my vote, they both give the image of a mystical water dragon.
noncreative
chimchar. its like the creators thought "well everyone liked Blaziken so much, lets give them another fire/fighting type"

Tangela

Struggling Collector
Ludicolo is the most creative in my eyes. I mean he is the only mexican pokemon. Least:pidgey. Just a bird. Nothing more. Nothing Less.

BKGeno4Ever

Genomon!
Non-creative:Mr. Mime.
Creative:Jirachi, Celebi, Manaphy, and anything else that can't be compared to a real creature.

BKGeno4Ever

Genomon!
Non-creative:Mr. Mime.
Creative:Jirachi, Celebi, Manaphy, and anything else that can't be compared to a real creature.

MrPostman

Viceroy
@11tjcoulombe: More people^.

BKGeno4Ever:

Manaphy: Sea angels
Celebi: Fairy, spring onion
Jirachi: Bulbapedia tells me it's possibly a djinn/genie and the green paper tags are a nod to the Tanabata festival.

Still super creative?

cazatron

uncreative has gotta be voltorb/ electrode, magneton, dugtrio, dodrio since they're just three of their previous evolution.
i think the designs for venusaur,infernape, lapras, electabuzz are all pretty good

scyther_girl

BKGeno4Ever:

Manaphy: Sea angels
Celebi: Fairy, spring onion
Jirachi: Bulbapedia tells me it's possibly a djinn/genie and the green paper tags are a nod to the Tanabata festival.

Still super creative?

Celebi: celebrate + bee + spring (grass type) + fairy + spring festival. Still super-creative.
Manaphy: Agreed. not that creative.
Jirachi: It doesn't look like a genie. it's a star-shaped fairy that grants wishes. Still creative.

MrPostman

Viceroy
I'm not saying whether they are or are not creative. I'm just saying being able to tell what something is based off of isn't that bad.

MrPostman

Viceroy
That's the point. Voltorbs were traps back when they had non-distinct overworld sprites. When you thought you'd get that free X Accuracy or Protein, BAM! An exploding pokemon gets you. "Simple" is not bad.

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
And, to add to MrPostman, they are based off that ever-present enemy in RPGs, the Mimic. Except, instead of having a living treasure chest, pokemon has a living pokeball. Makes sense.

Cutty

Forever now
In my opinion, the most creative pokemon are those pokemon with clothing/fashion touch like Honchkrow, Magmar, Mismagius, Ludicolo, Jynx and so on.

Less creative, well, yanno, those balls and blobs, anyone can draw them.

elephantdog

ÜberlegenDeLeuteHier
Here is one that is creative in a bad way:
What do you get when you go to Japan, grab a school girl, drag her into an alley, cut off her head, buy a dog, cut off the dog's head, sew the girl's head on the dog's body. and paint it all blue? Glaceon. After all that, pretty creative but creepy...

Wartortle90

Salamence ISNT Uber
im so glad theres a thread on this, i always point this out

least creative:
-Voltorb (a pokeball???
-Magenmite ( a magnet with an eye..
-Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam...(magic words, really?
-eggecute...eggs? reallllly
-yes, as youve all said unown
-jynx...not even gonna mention what it reminds me of'
-sunflora...wasnt bellossom enough flowers?
-piloswine....like a carpet with tusks
-ludicolo....a dancing pineapple evolved from a lilly pad??
-makuhita...the sadest rip off of a sumo/snorlax ive ever seen
-claydol/banette...wtf a living vodoo doll and a wtf??.. like waste

alright, ima stop. sorry i turned this into a hate colum dont get me wrong, i love pokemon but they need to get rid of all the crap, and get some better ideas!

Wartortle90

Salamence ISNT Uber
im so glad theres a thread on this, i always point this out

least creative:
-Voltorb (a pokeball???
-Magenmite ( a magnet with an eye..
-Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam...(magic words, really?
-eggecute...eggs? reallllly
-yes, as youve all said unown
-jynx...not even gonna mention what it reminds me of'
-sunflora...wasnt bellossom enough flowers?
-piloswine....like a carpet with tusks
-ludicolo....a dancing pineapple evolved from a lilly pad??
-makuhita...the sadest rip off of a sumo/snorlax ive ever seen
-claydol/banette...wtf a living vodoo doll and a wtf??.. like waste

alright, ima stop. sorry i turned this into a hate colum dont get me wrong, i love pokemon but they need to get rid of all the crap, and get some better ideas!

Shy Guy

I think that all pokemon are creative in one way or another, but I do agree about some pokemon being more creative than other ones(Combee is so wtf in a bad way) but when you compare these pokemon with ones that people created(Such as fake ones or from hacked games such as Chaos Black) you'll see that even the least creative pokemon are far more creative than the fake ones or fan-made ones.