• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Top 10 Video Games of 2022

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
It's 2022 and so many good games have come out. From Legends at the start of the year to God of War at the end, every month had something new for you to play. That doesn't mean you didn't discover an old gem for the first time though. This is the thread to list your top 10 games you've played this past year.

Some base guidelines and rules:

1. Any game that you have played in 2022 is eligible. It could be a game from this year, it could be a game from the past, it could be a game from the future if you're some kind of time travelling god. It could be a gacha game, it could be a romhack, it could be a randomizer, it could be a mod, as long as you played it this year it's all good.

2. The joy of this thread is in getting to shout about your favorites and hear about the hidden gems that you missed and we can only do that if you talk about why you've chosen the games you have. You can write a sentence, you can write an essay, whatever you like as long as you write something.

3. If you want to list more than ten games go for it. If you want to list less than ten games then go for that too.

4. Don't be a dick about other people's choices. This is a positive thread to celebrate the best of video games, not a place for people to get lost in an argument over which AAA release **** the bed worst. If you want to be critical then take it elsewhere. Please note that this rule will be waived in the event anyone picks hentai games or Dota.

5. Please use spoiler tags. One of the best part of these threads is people hearing about new games they want to play and we don’t want to spoil them \before they even start playing.

I'll post my list once I organize it, since so many games I liked came out this year.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
1.) Pokémon Legends Arceus
2.) Kirby and the Forgotten Land
3.) Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
4.) Kirby Dream Buffet
5.) Animal Crossing New Horizons

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I want to see what my end of the year Switch list looks like, but I'll list some of the games.

I played Kingdom Hearts (1.5) on the PS4. It's a pretty good game, and there were some very enjoyable moments in it.

I completed Majora's Mask 3D, which is the first time I beat Majora's Mask in any capacity.
I don't like the game more than Ocarina of Time, but I do like the elements in Majora's Mask.
I'll have to try to original game at some point, which I do have a digital Wii copy.

I also beat Luigi's Mansion 3 to celebrate Halloween earlier. The game is rather fun, and there is a lot rewarded for exploration.

There have been no shortage of Pokemon games I played this year. I beat BDSP, played Legends Arceus, and am working on Violet.

Xenoblade 2 has clocked me at over 270 hours, and sometimes, I will just wonder around in the world and do side quests.
I haven't really beaten it yet. It's just so fun seeing the different blade interactions and such.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
In no particular order:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
2. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
3. Pokémon Scarlet/Violet
4. Pokemon Legends: Arceus

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
In no particular order:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
2. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
3. Pokémon Scarlet/Violet
4. Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Oh yeah, I forgot about Kirby. Silly me. Yeah, that game was pretty rad.
I don't know how it ranks among Kirby games, but it's a phenomenal first attempt into 3D Kirby.

ghosttypeartist

One step at a time!
1. Pokemon Legends Arceus (Switch)
2. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle R (Switch port)
3. Holocure (PC) (technically it's a reskin of an already existing game but it's getting original concepts as updates come out, so it counts in my book!)
4. Groove Coaster: WaiWai Party! (Switch)
5. Bendy and the Ink Machine (Switch port)

I'm a very predictable person, honorable 5.5th place goes to Scarlet and Violet <3

ghosttypeartist

One step at a time!
How is it?
It's super fun! It's my first serious fighting game (that isn't street fighter, i've never owned a copy of it and i've only ever played it at arcades) and figuring out the combos is interesting.

ghosttypeartist

One step at a time!
I’m not a fan of fighting games but since it’s jojo i wanted to check it out. Does it have a steep learning curve like (say) mortal kombat?
I wouldn't say so! I'm a total rookie when it comes to fighting games, and it was pretty easy for me to figure out. Since it's a remake, there's not many part 8 characters (part 8 wasn't that far in publishing when the original ASB released), but DLC is coming out at a steady pace. The only DLC character so far is Risotto, but I'm hoping we'll get more!

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Horizon Forbidden West is a masterpiece and got robbed under the hype and close release date to Elden Ring.

The Mega Champion

You guys should know me by now. When I do this... I go all out lol. Although mine is more of a Top 3/4 than a top 5 (probably a good thing all things considered)

So here is mine. my Top 3/4 games that I played this year. Keep in mind I go by what I played in the year so that means I don't care when the game or what year the game actually came out. If you don't want to read... then just read until you see what won and move on to the next one I guess lol

Overall Special Mention: Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (Switch). Like before this is just de-facto #4. Why is this game so low? Well it's not that I hated it. Because I didn't. Otherwise it wouldn't be on my list. It's just that nothing else I really played this year really 'stood out' enough for this other than this game. Which is both good and bad. Good for this particular game but bad because nothing else stood out enough. The game has an AMAZING world, soundtrack, characters and open world. This game can easily be anyone else's GOTY. Just not mine apparently lol. The main story just didn't 'click' with me and I honestly wish I knew why myself. For me I think it was just because the overall theme of the game is something I've seen far too many times to be able to count them all and reminded me a lot of Terminator. But I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just... well... it is what it is I guess. But there were definitely parts I enjoyed and the sidequests in this game (and really the franchise in general it seems like) are super distracting and great for getting over-leveled which I prefer over being under-leveled. There were some great story parts too don't get me wrong and some twists around the end of the game come out of nowhere and you don't expect them and that's great too. But it just didn't 'click' with me I guess. Not the case though for the 'extra' mode on the Switch version (the one that I played). Future Connected was AMAZING and it was just better than the main game for me. Again I wish I knew why. Maybe because it shows what happens in the world after the main story? I don't know what it was but I just thoroughly enjoyed it more than the main game. But it's still a fantastic game overall and could easily be someone's GOTY. Just not mine unfortunately lol. Do I recommend? I do. I really do. Everyone's experience and opinion is different clearly.

#3: Tales of Graces f (PS3). This game was surprisingly FANTASTIC and had the best Tales of battle system and gameplay since Berseria where it was just pure CHAOS and I loved it for that. I will admit that everyone was right about the story though. It was good for me for about the first 10 hours or so before it 'plateaued' and just became the same thing going on and what you had to do again and again and again but the gameplay made up for it tenfold so it didn't really matter to me in the end. The PS3 version (again the one that I played) had another extra mode that happens after the main story which is also great. I don't care if it's stuck on an 'old out-of date' console it's too good to allow that to hold it back. So I won't and I didn't obviously. Do I recommend it? Of course I do it just may be hard to find unless you go through the painstaking process of buying it digitally from the PS3 PSN store. You can try to find a physical version if you want though as I managed to.

Game of the Year Runner-Up (#2): Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch). I can't praise this GOD DAMN AMAZING game enough I really can't. I'll admit the 'gacha' blade system and some of the sidequests can be extremely annoying and bad to do... but just like with the first Xenoblade they are super distracting and great and if your OCD-ish like me you will put out the time to get what is needed in order to do them no matter how long it may take to do so. That's just how god damn good this game really is. The game does admittedly start off slow but once it gets going IT GETS GOING AND IT DOESN'T STOP. You will be put on quite the 'roller coaster' ride so to speak where the best part GOES NON STOP ALL THE WAY TO THE END and there's even ANOTHER BEST PART too. Characters are great again with even some shock reveals about them, world is great, story is AMAZING and it's just an overall OUTSTANDING experience. I looked forward to playing it every single time and I would even play it for too long and couldn't get myself to stop lol. That's just how good it really is. I get that the 'anime-like' part of the game, the characters, and even the design can put people off but it didn't for me that's for sure lol. Is it because I'm an anime watcher? I'm pretty sure the answer to that question is obviously yes but I do understand why it can be off-putting. I wish I was better at this but I'm just not unfortunately. The game is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and should not be missed if you ask me. Do I recommend it? Obvious already but YES I ABSOLUTELY DO.

The funny thing is... the above was the favorite to win my personal GOTY for the majority of the year and was going to win it. Until... something happened. It was literally the meme where the winner came in and was like 'I'm about to destroy Xenoblade Chronicles 2's whole career' lol.

Mega/DAL's Game of the Year 2022 (#1)

[IMG]

Tales of the Abyss (3DS)

I'm sorry but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I really couldn't. I couldn't, in good conscious, let this game that is obviously still stuck on 'old out-of-date' consoles (3DS and PS2) let that hold it back. I really couldn't. If you want to call me 'old-fashioned' or an 'old man' (yes I'm absolutely an old man even though I'm in my 30's your absolutely right) then that's fine. But there's no other way to put this. THIS GAME IS ****ING AMAZING. EVERYTHING ABOUT IT. FROM START TO FINISH. THERE IS NO LOW POINT OR LOW PERIOD IN THIS GOD DAMN AMAZING GAME. Look I get it... I really do... the main character of this game (Luke fon Fabre) is an UNBELIEVABLE ASSHOLE AND DOUCHEBAG at the start of the game. He really is. BUT YOU HAVE TO PUT UP WITH. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING YOU MAY CONSIDER DEAR PUT UP WITH IT. Because once you get to the mining town... OH. MY. ****ING. GOD. HE LITERALLY BECOMES THE BEST TALES OF MAIN CHARACTER AND THE BEST TALES OF CHARACTER IN THE ENTIRE GOD DAMN FRANCHISE. I'M NOT EVEN JOKING HERE. Because he is that to me now. My favorite Tales of MC and my favorite Tales of character in the franchise. That's not even all either. The story and world is AMAZING and OH MY GOD THE CHARACTERIZATION IN THIS GAME. The best characterization I've seen in the Tales of franchise and maybe even in JRPGs in general. EVERY. SINGLE. CHARACTER. (or in the main party at least) IN THIS GAME GOES THROUGH AMAZING CHARACTERIZATION WITH A SHOCK REVEAL ABOUT EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM. I can't really praise this GOD DAMN game enough. I really can't. It's just too GOD DAMN GOOD to let it being stuck on old out-of-date consoles hold it back. It deserves this honor fully and completely. THIS IS THE BEST TALES OF GAME AND IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE. IT EVEN BEAT OUT BERSERIA IN MY TALES OF LIST. Bamco (Bandai Namco) is out of excuses at this point. They really are. Nintendo is pretty much shutting down the 3DS for good in March of next year. THEY NEED TO PORT THIS GAME. END OF STORY. But they might not. Or it'll be a VERY long time before they do. There's no excuse. But it is what it is I suppose. It took probably way too long... but finally a Tales of game wins my personal GOTY. Congratulations. Truly. After being runner-up or #3 or special mention or a special award winner it finally gets the top prize at long last. Truly a great achievement for this franchise. Do I recommend it? ABSO-****ING-LUTELY GO FIND A WAY TO OBTAIN IT AND PLAY IT ASAP.

To be completely honest it's even hard for me to believe a Tales of game finally took my personal GOTY but it did and it couldn't of happened to a better one. I just don't care that it's stuck on an 'old out-of-date' console so I guess that makes me an old man and I still don't care lol

florindooff

Thanks for the good list. I feel like half the games I don't know at all, but now I know what I can play on the weekend

Ryker101

Haven’t got to playing them yet, but I bet Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok will be my top picks