• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Top 10 XY Battles

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Kalos Gym battles were great, except for the Grant one. There was no need to make it 2 vs 3, Ash would've won if he just chose Pikachu instead of Fletchling earlier.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Kalos Gym battles were great, except for the Grant one. There was no need to make it 2 vs 3, Ash would've won if he just chose Pikachu instead of Fletchling earlier.

True though from a presentation standpoint was there any problem with it?

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
True though from a presentation standpoint was there any problem with it?

Not probably, but making it 2 vs 3 was BS when it was clearly depicted that Ash was very much capable of winning it 2 vs 2.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Not probably, but making it 2 vs 3 was BS when it was clearly depicted that Ash was very much capable of winning it 2 vs 2.

Probably but the top post is asking about the visual quality of the battles via art, animation, backgrounds, camera angles, direction, fight coreography and in general presentation quality so my question was that were there any GL battles that were underwhelming in those aspects specifically?

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Probably but the top post is asking about the visual quality of the battles via art, animation, backgrounds, camera angles, direction, fight coreography and in general presentation quality so my question was that were there any GL battles that were underwhelming in those aspects specifically?

In that case I'd say no. XY's flashy animation would make animation of any other series look ordinary.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

Grant match was also a good one. He used strategy in that match and rock climb was debuted. Fletchling should have been rested here as it didn't do anything.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Grant match was also a good one. He used strategy in that match and rock climb was debuted. Fletchling should have been rested here as it didn't do anything.

Rock Tomb climb and Draco Meteor climb were cool, but Fletchling's meaningless participation meant that the battle was 2 vs 3 and that's why I think it was bad.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I agree.

On a related note; does anyone here consider any of the gym battles to be "bad" or at least underwhelming in terms of presentation?

Hmm probably Ramos' gym battle for me. It's actually one of my favorite Kalos gym battles and while the animation was still great, I personally feel it pales in comparison to the other gym battles in XY.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I personally liked the Ramos battle a lot, since it was the first time we saw Frogadier starring. However, almost all XY gym battles were quality, so even if I do like the Ramos battle, I only put it above Grant and Valerie.

Janovy

Banned
Ash vs Valerie is pretty underrated, I like how ash broke the trick room, he was so lucky in DP. Also fletchinder's performance was so good here.
Ash vs Valerie was okay, but I find it hilarious how nobody here is complaining about the DEM X-Scissor from Hawlucha.

BW gets a ton of **** for DEM moments in gym battles, but nobody even bats an eye when it happens in XY.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Ash vs Valerie was okay, but I find it hilarious how nobody here is complaining about the DEM X-Scissor from Hawlucha.

BW gets a ton of **** for DEM moments in gym battles, but nobody even bats an eye when it happens in XY.

Yeah, Hawlucha knowing X Scissor to break Trick Room was a cool strategy, but was probably one of the only DEM moments in XY gym battles. Compared with BW, which had them fairly frequently. Firstly, I think BW was one of the few series where a lot of Ash's Pokémon received DEM evolutions during the gym battles, and giving Ash the victory, such as Sewaddle to Swadloon, Roggenrola to Boldore and Tranquill to Unfezant.

I personally find evolutions in the middle of a gym battle to be a lot more DEM since Ash's Pokémon gets that sudden power boost to give him the victory. In Hawlucha's case, sure him knowing X Scissor beforehand was kind of DEM, but atleast he used it effectively during the battle to break Trick Room. I think the lack of DEM evolutions in any gym battle in XY was also one of the main reasons they were really enjoyable.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I think that Korrina's Mienfoo vs Hawlucha was a bit of DEM since Ash was trying throughout the battle to implement a strategy (Tierno's dance) which didn't suit him at all and despite the fact that Hawlucha was getting wrecked all the time he somehow managed to beat Mienfoo with one hit or two (don't remember exactly) without having Ash paying the price of his false strategy because of "let's battle with our own way". The rest of this gym battle was pretty solid though.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I thought Vs Ramos was great. For me, the only ones that could be considered better were Olympia and Wulfric I/II.
I was referring to the animation. :p
Yeah, Hawlucha knowing X Scissor to break Trick Room was a cool strategy, but was probably one of the only DEM moments in XY gym battles. Compared with BW, which had them fairly frequently. Firstly, I think BW was one of the few series where a lot of Ash's Pokémon received DEM evolutions during the gym battles, and giving Ash the victory, such as Sewaddle to Swadloon, Roggenrola to Boldore and Tranquill to Unfezant.

I personally find evolutions in the middle of a gym battle to be a lot more DEM since Ash's Pokémon gets that sudden power boost to give him the victory. In Hawlucha's case, sure him knowing X Scissor beforehand was kind of DEM, but atleast he used it effectively during the battle to break Trick Room. I think the lack of DEM evolutions in any gym battle in XY was also one of the main reasons they were really enjoyable.
In Swadloon's defense, it at least wasn't the one to take out the final Pokémon and lost after defeating Dwebble and Whirlipede. Granted, it still gave Ash the upper hand in the middle of the battle but since it wasn't like Roggenrola and Tranquill, I'm willing to forgive it.

I too loved how Hawlucha broke Trick Room! I just wished we could have seen Hawlucha used X-Scissor before the episode aired lol.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

Well most of the complains about the BW DEM moments was the amount of evolutions in mid battles. I think there were 3 evolutions out of 8 battles. Personally I like the boldore evolution the most vs clay and it looked epic but the rest were lame.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Well most of the complains about the BW DEM moments was the amount of evolutions in mid battles. I think there were 3 evolutions out of 8 battles. Personally I like the boldore evolution the most vs clay and it looked epic but the rest were lame.

Evolutions mid battle happen in every series though so I don't think we can really call it a DEM

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Evolutions mid battle happen in every series though so I don't think we can really call it a DEM

In XY? Never is case of Gym battles. Evolution in middle of Gym battles is honestly a DEM for basically winning the battle.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy

Evolutions in the middle of gym battles didn't happen in both XY, and I think DP as well. And guess what, as a result, these two regions had the best gym quests, and of course due to Ash himself coming up with very good strategies and ideas.

Rajas

Am I the only one who found Mega Lucario vs Pikachu to be amazing and fluent? Pikachu finally was shown to be the level we knew he should be.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Am I the only one who found Mega Lucario vs Pikachu to be amazing and fluent? Pikachu finally was shown to be the level we knew he should be.

Yeah, I personally thought it was amazing. Pikachu reached Peak Mode pretty early in XY.

In general, if I have to rate the XY gym battles based on presentation and intensity, it'll be :

1. Ash vs Olympia
2. Ash vs Wulfric rematch
3. Ash vs Clemont
4. Ash vs Korrina (mostly Pikachu vs Mega Lucario)
5. Ash vs Viola rematch
6. Ash vs Ramos
7. Ash vs Valerie
8. Ash vs Grant