• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Top 10 XY Battles

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Evolutions mid battle happen in every series though so I don't think we can really call it a DEM

It's pretty much the definiton of DEM. A pokemon getting underpowered and then boom...evolution out of nowhere as the solution. It would've been no problem if it happened only once, but three time in one series was to much. And BW was the only series I can remember to have any evolutions mid-battle.

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
These were my XY gym battle rankings:

1. Olympia
2. Wulfric *
3. Ramos *
4. Viola
5. Clemont **
6. Valerie **
7. Grant **
8. Korrina

* (Wulfric I + II & Ramos are very close to each other)
** (Clemont/Valerie/Grant are very close to each other)

Genaller

Silver Soul
- A+
Olympia

- A
Wulfric, Clemont

- A-
Ramos

- B+
Viola, Korrina, Valerie

- B
Grant

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Gyms?
From Best to Worst
Korrina
Wulfric
Olympia
Clemont
Valerie
Ramos
Viola
Grant

Genaller

Silver Soul
1. Ash vs Alain KL
2. Ash vs Sawyer KL
3. Ash vs Diantha XYZ 25
4. Ash vs Clemont XY 67
5. Ash vs Olympia
6. Ash vs Wulfric (I&II)
7. Ash vs Valerie
8. Ash vs Ramos
9. Ash vs Alain XYZ 23
10. Ash vs Viola (I&II)

HM: Ash vs Korrina XY 44, Ash vs Grant, Ash vs Sawyer XYZ 26,
Ash vs Alain XYZ 13, Sawyer vs Tierno KL

Navin

MALDREAD
1. Ash vs Alain KL
2. Ash vs Sawyer KL
3. Ash vs Diantha XYZ 25
4. Ash vs Clemont XY 67
5. Ash vs Olympia
6. Ash vs Wulfric (I&II)
7. Ash vs Valerie
8. Ash vs Ramos
9. Ash vs Alain XYZ 23
10. Ash vs Viola (I&II)

HM: Ash vs Korrina XY 44, Ash vs Grant, Ash vs Sawyer XYZ 26,
Ash vs Alain XYZ 13, Sawyer vs Tierno KL

Only Ash battles?

I find your lack of Mega Charizard X and Meta Metagross vs Primal Groudon vs Primal Kyogre vs Mega Raqquaza disturbing.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Only Ash battles?

I find your lack of Mega Charizard X and Meta Metagross vs Primal Groudon vs Primal Kyogre vs Mega Raqquaza disturbing.

Oh sorry I meant trainer battles within the Main Anime. If specials count then I’m sure stuff like Alain vs Siebold and Alain vs Malva would be in there as well (in the Honourable mentions). If we counted those types of battles then the ME 3 legend battle is probably 2nd to only the final battle for Kalos in the TF climax.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
While I do agree that Ash vs Olympia does deserve to be placed somewhere in top 5, or at least top 10. I don't think Ash vs Olympia deserves to be to put over Alain vs Ash. What puts this Ash vs Alain above Ash vs Olympia, in my opinion, is the sheer volume of intensity. One of the best aerial battles to this day is still Ash's Talonflame vs Alain's Unfezant.
Yeah, though I wonder why that has been the last aerial battle as of now

DatsRight

This is more a joke one, but Meowth vs Pikachu's single stroke battle in the Pokeball Factory episode, just for the fact Meowth was actually sneaky enough to go in with a plan and actually landed some damage on Pikachu for the first time ever (even if he still naturally got it worse).

It's pretty much the definiton of DEM. A pokemon getting underpowered and then boom...evolution out of nowhere as the solution. It would've been no problem if it happened only once, but three time in one series was to much. And BW was the only series I can remember to have any evolutions mid-battle.

While XY thankfully kept them out of gym battles, DEM evolutions and move learns were still spammed in many other key battles/moments (BW was cheap with evolutions in official battles but XY was far more cheap with them in villain/COTD face-offs). In fact I think SM was the first series in ages to show at least some Pokemon training and earning boosts and evolutions off the clock rather than through the constant 'power of really really wanting something' (Lycanroc's worked for nearly everything).

Last edited: