• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Top 5 Most Useless Abilities

Which of these Abilities do you find the most useless?

• Hustle

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Defeatist

Votes: 23 17.7%
  • Illuminate

Votes: 25 19.2%
  • Slow Start

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Truant

Votes: 36 27.7%

• Total voters

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder
A while ago I was thinking back to the glory days of Ruby and Sapphire, when Abilities were just introduced. It was a fresh new concept at the time, and since then it's become a Pokémon staple. That being said, while most Abilities are great assets in battle, some of them are frustrating, annoying, and just plain useless. So this is my top 5 most useless Abilities list.

5. Hustle
This one is pretty low on the list because at least it bumps up your Attack. But it also has the VERY annoying drawback of making all your attacks hit with 80% accuracy. Most trainers will probably agree that training their Zweilous to level 64 was 10 times harder thanks to this Ability.

4. Defeatist
This is a new Ability that the Acheops line picked up. It's halves your attacking stats when your HP goes below half. Fortunately, Archeops is so frail that most Super Effective hits will OHKO him anyway, so this Ability might not even get a chance to activate.

3. Illuminate
We have the frustrating (Hustle), the annoying (Defeatist), and the flat out useless. Illuminate is the latter. Increases the chances of finding Pokémon in the wild? Great! In battle effect? Nothing? that's... yeah. It's pointless, and everyone knows it.

2. Slow Start
Have you ever seen anyone use a Regigigas in battle? No? That's probably because of Slow Start, which halves your Attack and Speed for five turns. I could understand it doing this if after the five turns your original Attack and Speed got a boost, but no. Just halves them for no adequately explored reason... Hmph.

1. Truant
You all knew this was coming. The Ability that will forever ensure that Slaking stays in NU. Every other turn, Slaking does nothing. It's a horrible stain on an otherwise devastatingly good Pokémon. Maybe that's why he has Truant though. Maybe Game Freak thought he was TOO good, so they had to cripple him somehow. Well, they sure as heck succeeded.

Well, that's my list of the top 5 most useless Abilities. Feel free to comment on them or even post your own.

SphealsFTW

Money is the anthem!
Definitely Slow Start and Defeatist... They make two great Pokemon seemingly useless.

Illuminate is really useful to shiny hunters :>.

MonkeyX

hustle isnt that bad my darumaka didnt have too much trouble with its accuracy i think damp is worse it only saves you from explosion and selfdestruct and it didnt even get the neat focus sash like boost that sturdy got

Plight of Leon

okay well i have a custom avvy now
Staff member
I sat that it is this:

5. illuminate

4. truant

3. Mummy

2. Simple

1. Justified

Illuminate has no use in battle, and most of the time you want to avoid battles!

Truant is bad, but with moves like skill swap, it can be relieved.

Mummy looks good on paper, until all your Pokemomn have the ability Mummy, instead of a good ability.

Simple is another that look good on paper, till you take a scary face or a screech, and watch your stats plummet

Yes, the worst is justified! When are you going ot go up against a pure dark type user and not pwn him with the fighting four(the kions and keldeo). Really, the stat boost is good, but you got more of a chance getting a critical hit with Anger Point that being hit six times with a dark type move.

Jak2551

~SHARK FIGHTA~
Turant and Slow start wouldent be so bad if the user had the move Skill Swap. But then again, not very many pokes have both :/

Rakurai

Really, the stat boost is good, but you got more of a chance getting a critical hit with Anger Point that being hit six times with a dark type move.

Beat Up says hello.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Simple is another that look good on paper, till you take a scary face or a screech, and watch your stats plummet

That would suck, but I wouldn't call it the worst ability. There's a lot more with worse effects than that. Besides, Simple users can use moves like Amnesia for awesome effects.

Run Away is probably the most useless. No effect in trainer battles, plus running from wild Pokemon is very, very easy even without this ability.

Last edited:

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I agree with that list, all of those abilities are awful!

Darkseeker

Crimson Denizen
I still got a slaking with truant, normally I just use a choice band and something like hyperbeam or gigaimpact (It's gonna do NOTHING the next turn anyway)

Dattebayo

Banned
What's the point of Slow Start when Regigigas has a legendary status meaning he's bound to be Uber material, unless this was so he could be available in the Battle Frontier and Battle Subway because only main legendaries and event Pokemon are banned. Also, what about Run Away and Big Pecks?

SphealsFTW

Money is the anthem!
hustle isnt that bad my darumaka didnt have too much trouble with its accuracy i think damp is worse it only saves you from explosion and selfdestruct and it didnt even get the neat focus sash like boost that sturdy got
The next time you run into a wild shiny pokemon that knows self-destruct or explosion, you better hope that you have a pokemon with Damp in your party... ;P

Asterveil

Go figure.
What about Klutz? Only useful is you're using Switcheroo or Trick.

Battlestar

TRC Boss
Yep I agree with you 100% percent all this abilities make these awesome stat wise pokemon useless pretty much. Also defeatist is terrible but I still love that flying rock.