• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Top-Down Training (508)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Champion Cynthia Appears!

On their way to the next town, Ash & Co. meet up with Cynthia, the Pokémon Champion of Sinnoh while they are investigating some ruins. Paul appears soon after and is eager to challenge Cynthia to a battle. Will Paul manage to stand his ground against the Champion or will he be easily defeated?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

-Starly-

Brain Damage
I still have to watch this episode, yet it seems to me that this is one of the best ones DP has offered yet. The discovery that Paul isn't a beginning trainer, the debut of his three other Pokemon, coupled with Cynthia's appearance, puts this in my pile of DP favorites.

Alzatia

Man I can't wait to watch this episode! It has revealed us so much about Paul,and plus we see the awesomness of Shirona. <3

pokemaster95

King of pirates
Cynthia owned 4 of Shinji's pokemon with just Garchomp so She is prbly the stronger then Lance.This is my favorite episode so far in the series.

Chatsy

Perverted Ash fan
Just a quick note before I head off to bed:

Croagunk stopping in the middle of his Poison Stabbing of Brock and looking sheepish afterwards was GOLD!

[IMG139]http://i19.*******.com/6hhjxn8.jpg[/IMG139]

scissorX

Quite possibly my favourite Sinnoh episode?

I mean first we got Paul being an experience trainer, with a Torterra! And seeing his Weavile and Murkrow, and how he actually cared for his stornger Pokémon. Not to mention the fact that his disregard for Chimchar was highly focused on towards the latter of this episode, which does open up the possibility that it may be released at some point; something I thought was never going to happen before.

Next we have Cynthia. Do I need to expand on this one? Cynthia & Garchomp FTW. Plus the cameo of her beating Lucien.

Great animation IMO, some brilliant battle scenes and just overall an amazing episode. Kudos to the writers.

Jonah

herd u liek mudkips?
THIS EPISODE IS FULL OF EPICNESS AND WIN.

From what I've heard, it even tops "Mutiny in the Bounty", IMO.

And it got the longest speculation thread in the Anime Spoilers section, 35 pages long, most of it being about Torterra and whether it was Paul's. (For those of you who haven't been to the speculation thread, it is.)

EAT YOUR KEYBOARD!

This is on my list of episodes that I'm going to watch when they come out in the USA.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
So I watched this so-called "EPIC" episode, and while "Epic" may be a bit of an exaggeration, it was a good one nevertheless. About on-par with the Lucian episode. My primary disappointment was that Shinji hardly put up a fight. I have no problem with Shirona taking four of Shinji's Pokemon down with one, being the champion and all, but if he is indeed an experienced trainer, I'd like to have see him get a few more hits in.

However, as a character-building episode, this was solid. Shinji is still the arrogant jerk we've come to know and love, but we learned a fair bit more about him here. He may be a dick to the people around him, but he still cares for his Pokemon, even if he has a rigid way of showing it. It seems as if the writers are opening up Shinji's character gradually instead of all at once, which brings greater mystery to his character.

And yes, Croagunk was definitely the humor highlight of the episode. Although, I wouldn't say the animation was that good, especially when compared to the previous episode. Shirona's interest in the orbs at the end may hint into a future appearance by her in the Dialga/Palkia arc.

This episode was worth the wait! What was Shinji saying about the other regions? Has he been to them before?

(but who uses Blizzard and Ice Beam on a Weavile? >__>)

Last edited:

Crystal Clair

but who uses Powder Snow
It was blizzard.... then again the two attacks sound very similar

I'll post more later.
There was a little fanservice in this episode.... Shinji hair blowing type of fanservice
Stopped me dead in my tracks

btw, I translated like all of the attacks that Shinji shouted so that's why I was able to confirm it being blizzard and not powder snow.

edit
While I was watching this episode, I was on bulbagarden's chat, so I commented as I watched
The post is separated into spoilers, where the chat is contained. The chat is long but not that long

I loved this episode. It was ten.... no twenty different levels of cool.
Shinji was hot
Also, if anyone has free time, I'd like to have Shinji's dialogue when he talks about Houen, Johto and Kanto, in Japanese, not translated.
I also kinda want most of his lines written in Romaji.... but the first is more wanted.

[19:00:05] <Crystal_Clair> dang, Shirona's hot
[19:00:10] <Crystal_Clair> I dont even like her
[19:00:14] <Geoffrey> lol
[19:00:14] <Crystal_Clair> and I think she's effing hot
[19:00:18] <Misty> lol
[19:00:55] <Crystal_Clair> is that icecream she's eating?
[19:01:01] <Misty> ?
[19:01:08] <Crystal_Clair> she looks funny there, touching the rock and eating the icecream
[19:01:12] <Eevee1> No, it's a lizard.
[19:01:15] <Crystal_Clair> maybe she has a sweet tooth
[19:01:24] <Crystal_Clair> no it couldve been sorbet
[19:01:34] <Eevee1> "Kecleon!" *munch munch munch*
[19:01:56] <Crystal_Clair> OMG Shinji just appeared!
[19:02:01] <Crystal_Clair> His Japanese voice is sooooo sexy
[19:02:34] <Crystal_Clair> Tobari no Shinji desu!!!!! OMGOMG
[19:02:47] <Geoffrey> lol

[19:02:57] <Crystal_Clair> he should've called her Shirona sama
[19:03:30] <Crystal_Clair> what
[19:04:18] <Crystal_Clair> Shirona was hotted out by Shinji
[19:06:22] <Crystal_Clair> what attack did Shinji just tell Hikozaru to do?
[19:06:42] <Crystal_Clair> Firespin!
[19:07:51] <Crystal_Clair> ana o horu!!!
[19:08:10] <Crystal_Clair> OMG ****** off SHINJI!!!!
[19:08:24] <Crystal_Clair> poor Hiko-kun!
[19:08:37] <Crystal_Clair> Gabliasu pwned it : \
[19:09:39] <Crystal_Clair> Shinji looks so hot when he blinks
[19:11:11] <Crystal_Clair> Shinji's MANYURA!!!!
[19:11:35] * Crystal_Clair is watching the newest pokemon episode
[19:11:55] <Godot> Oh, the Shinji VS Shirona one.
[19:13:45] <Crystal_Clair> Shinji instructed his Manyula to use fubuki
[19:13:53] <Crystal_Clair> sounds like ibuki (clair's name)
[19:14:09] <Crystal_Clair> I'm trying to memorize the Japanese names so I can understand the raw better
[19:16:46] <Crystal_Clair> *fangirl spasm
[19:16:58] <Crystal_Clair> for a second there, Shinji-kun just looked really pretty
[19:17:02] <Crystal_Clair> he's a very pretty boy
[19:17:09] <Eevee1> Saw that as orgasm.
[19:18:32] <Crystal_Clair> Shinji is pretty
[19:19:59] <Crystal_Clair> Japanese is even more sexier than French
[19:20:05] * Crystal_Clair does not know why
[19:26:42] <Crystal_Clair> Yamikarasu used kuroikiri (haze)
[19:26:48] <Knightly> I am intriguied by Shinji's backstory now though
[19:28:21] <Crystal_Clair> OMG there was this sudden freeze where it was just Shinji
[19:28:34] <Crystal_Clair> and no sound but him saying something

[19:29:53] <Crystal_Clair> WOW a really really really cool song just came on
[19:30:44] <Crystal_Clair> JESUS!! Fanservice!
[19:30:50] <Crystal_Clair> Shinji's hair is blowing!
[19:31:13] <Crystal_Clair> the animators are making him the new Drew
[19:34:56] <Crystal_Clair> but it was one of the most incredible fanservice clips
[19:35:00] <Crystal_Clair> his hair was BLOWING
[19:41:00] <Crystal_Clair> there it is, the fanservice!
[19:44:46] <Crystal_Clair> here's the fanservice I'm drooling over. But it's not half as hot with one frame
[19:44:47] <Crystal_Clair> http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5966/shinjifanserviceay6.png
[19:48:03] <Crystal_Clair> some stupid squirts are laughing at my smexy Shinji!!!!
[19:53:20] <Crystal_Clair> OMG Greggle was so funny
[19:55:19] <Crystal_Clair> Shirona just called Shinji "Shinji-kun"
[19:55:27] <Crystal_Clair> never heard him be called that before in the anime
[19:55:34] <Crystal_Clair> I used to call him that but....
[19:56:17] <Crystal_Clair> hearing Shinji say Kanto, Johto and Houen seems almost unreal
[19:57:57] <Crystal_Clair> I suddenly have a steady dislike for SHirona
[19:58:11] <Crystal_Clair> so pretty, yet so great to hate
[19:59:28] <Crystal_Clair> this is now my other absolute favorite Shinou episode
[19:59:40] <Crystal_Clair> the original one being "Forest of Hesitation!! Shinji Again!!
[20:00:12] <Crystal_Clair> OMG animation error!
[20:00:39] <Crystal_Clair> I'd send it to Soara but I'm afraid I'll say something wrong (I'm awkward in my Japanese)
[20:00:47] <Crystal_Clair> Shinji's sleeve was blue and not black

Last edited:
Holy Sh!t the Torterra is really Paul's. Wow, he is just as an experienced trainer as Ash. Can somebody give me a summary on a bit of the episoded and how he mistreated Chimchar, and was treating his other pokemon nice?

Oh and was Elekid in this episode.

And did we find out what happened to his Ursurang

Can't wait to see his bio tomorow! Joe, can you do it ASAP?

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Apparently Paul didn't want to win, he merely wanted to test out strategies on Garchomp. Speaking of Garchomp, nice to see his Fold Up mode the Pokedex goes on and on and on about.

And Lucien, Dialga's Beach Volleyball, and the Sinnoh Now! all cameo'd. And Bronzong!

And Silver in the manga had Ursaring, Sneasel, and Murkrow...0.o
Parallel's are endless.

And now maybe the "Ash'll get Chimchar" will be decimated.

kewlmyc

Holy Crap!
Saw the episode and it's one of my favorite episodes to date. I only wish that someone would give us a word for word translation of Shinji's "backstory" and the shinji/paul argument.

zeno48

Zaker!
I loved this episode but what i fing odd is that shinji did not compete in the indigo, johto, hoenn league what so ever. Was he collecting badges and decided to train or what? and what i don't get is how do you start in sinnoh but ned up in kanto? How does that happen?

Ancax

How exactly did Paul get Chimchar? He made comments on Weavile/Murkrow, which probably meant he caught them both in Johto, but I did not make out where he got Chimchar. I felt kinda bad for it though, it really makes me wonder what will happen to the poor chimp. So cute when handled by Shirona.

uber gon

Accept Change
What attacks did Garchomp use?

P13

Good episode. I was practically begging Ash to punch Paul (with my mind) when he was scolding Chimchar.

Giga Impact still looks like a purple wave of meh, if any attack needs some CGI-augmentation, its that one. Funny how Elekid wasn't there after everyone saying he was Paul's Pikachu.

I'm willing to join the camp that says Paul will abandon Chimchar, it makes so much sense and his team is already so choppy and inconsistent at this point. Pauls's got Torterra, so the whole "three separate character gets only one starter of the region" thing is already out the window.

Ash taking in a tortured Chimchar and inviting it to open up to him would make up for Turtwig's lack of character.

Anonymous Trainer

<-----Facewall
Good episode. I was practically begging Ash to punch Paul (with my mind) when he was scolding Chimchar.

Giga Impact still looks like a purple wave of meh, if any attack needs some CGI-augmentation, its that one. Funny how Elekid wasn't there after everyone saying he was Paul's Pikachu.

I'm willing to join the camp that says Paul will abandon Chimchar, it makes so much sense and his team is already so choppy and inconsistent at this point. Pauls's got Torterra, so the whole "three separate character gets only one starter of the region" thing is already out the window.

Ash taking in a tortured Chimchar and inviting it to open up to him would make up for Turtwig's lack of character.

Turtwig does have personality, it's just most of the screentime for Ash's Pokemon usually goes to Pikachu or Aipom. I agree though, Paul owning two starters, mainly the one Ash might get in the future does sort of leave a lot of confusion.