• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Top-Down Training (508)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
And we also learn that he is just as experienced as Ash.

Wasn't this kind of evident even before we met his Torterra here? Because he constantly showed that he was stronger than Ash, so he couldn't have been just a rookie.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Wasn't this kind of evident even before we met his Torterra here? Because he constantly showed that he was stronger than Ash, so he couldn't have been just a rookie.

It was evident in his confidence,the ability to capture strong pokemon in the wild,and smart decision making in battles.

ZilverLox

Banned
It really bugged me how every time Paul released a Pokemon he said "Standby for Battle!". I mean, I realize that most Coordinators do that, but they aren't sending in a new Pokemon every 30 seconds.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It really bugged me how every time Paul released a Pokemon he said "Standby for Battle!". I mean, I realize that most Coordinators do that, but they aren't sending in a new Pokemon every 30 seconds.

It was Paul's signature phrase along with "pathetic", so of course he said it like 20 times when he fought Cynthia. :p

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Well that's likely cuz in the Japanese version, this episode didn't take place at Amity Square at all. The dubbed version seems to have added that part for some reason. ^^;

Another instance of TPCI's incompetence. I know 4Kids made mistakes often too, but TPCI's translators seemed so much better, so I don't get how they could make such a big mistake here...

Leonhart

Imagineer
Shirona buying an ice cream cone from the Rocket-dan's kiosk was adorable, and Shinji seemed way too confident when he used Hikozaru against Shirona's Gablias. At least his Dodaitose did better, even if it also lost. Shirona giving Hikozaru a glass of water helped show her compassion, and this episode seemed to foreshadow Hikozaru's eventual fate.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Cynthia seemed so kind yet still super powerful. Man, Paul was acting dumb when he challenged her. Didn't he know he was gonna lose?

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Cynthia seemed so kind yet still super powerful. Man, Paul was acting dumb when he challenged her. Didn't he know he was gonna lose?

I'm pretty sure he knew he wouldn't be able to beat her but wanted to test the power of his pokemon more so try to get Chimchar to unleash it's ability Blaze.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Shinji's whole approach in his match with Shirona here was questionable, although if Satoshi had been in his shoes, he'd probably have done much worse.

Daizy

I call you honey
So Paul used his Ursaring to defeat Team Rocket, got his Chimchar back, but then called it useless and took it with him. I'm glad Cynthia defeated Paul.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, I wonder what the whole point of revealing Shinji's vast experience as a trainer here was since it didn't seem to change his rivalry with Satoshi much.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Good episode. I liked Cynthia's fickleness when choosing an ice cream flavour. Seeing Paul's four Pokemon getting curb-stomped by Garchomp was satisfying. I was surprised when Weavile failed to dodge Dragon Rush, since it has very poor accuracy in the games. Then again, Brock's explanation kind of justifies the move's flinch chance. I liked how Garchomp was actually unable to move after using Giga Impact. Seeing Cynthia and Brock tend to Paul's Pokemon was great, as was Croagunk calming down upon seeing the Sinnoh Champion.
9.5/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
Seeing Paul's four Pokemon getting curb-stomped by Garchomp was satisfying.

It was especially pleasing since he was revealed to be an experienced trainer here, so his loss at the hands of Shirona felt more like karma for the way that he had practically cruised through the region thus far.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
This episode is the pebble that began the avalanche of favoritism toward the worst rival the series has ever seen.

The totally blase approach Cynthia takes in regards to everything is just unbelievable. She saw how Paul was, and did nothing. It looked like she was bothered at first, but she proceeded to act as if it hadn't happened at all.

And secondly,

Why the **** did Ash defend Paul?

Paul shouted at Chimchar for losing after intentionally giving it a terrible match up

Paul gave up the match halfway through

The crowd was RIGHT to mock him. He absolutely deserved it. He is not to be commended simply for challenging Cynthia.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TheWanderingMist said:
This episode is the pebble that began the avalanche of favoritism toward the worst rival the series has ever seen.

The totally blase approach Cynthia takes in regards to everything is just unbelievable. She saw how Paul was, and did nothing. It looked like she was bothered at first, but she proceeded to act as if it hadn't happened at all.

And secondly,

Why the **** did Ash defend Paul?

Paul shouted at Chimchar for losing after intentionally giving it a terrible match up

Paul gave up the match halfway through

The crowd was RIGHT to mock him. He absolutely deserved it. He is not to be commended simply for challenging Cynthia.

You make a good point about Shirona and Satoshi's behavior here. Shirona being so passive about Shinji's arrogance was disappointing since I would've thought that with her position as a Champion, she'd be more assertive and tell Shinji off for his harsh words about Hikozaru. And as for Satoshi, he seemed slightly out of character as well.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill

In all seriousness this episode is so good. Paul challenging Cynthia and later getting more info on how he started out really gives more insight to him as a character early on. I like the detail of him speaking politely and more openly around people he respects like Cynthia (more noticeable in JP maybe). Paul being as much a veteran trainer as Ash really makes him the perfect parallel to him; even with the evolved ace and the way he swaps out ‘mons per region.

Cynthia’s way of explaining the iconic “all lives touch other lives” phrase, even how she talks to Paul was so intriguing because she knows what adopting that kind of mindset is like from experience. She knows a change in perspective for both sides comes upon meeting other people and Pokémon and reaching an understanding, and that’s a brilliant encapsulation of what this rivalry ends up becoming. Tears in my eyes ngl

“When one life meets another life, something will be born”
Such an iconic line (and an innuendo for reproduction)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer

In all seriousness this episode is so good. Paul challenging Cynthia and later getting more info on how he started out really gives more insight to him as a character early on. I like the detail of him speaking politely and more openly around people he respects like Cynthia (more noticeable in JP maybe). Paul being as much a veteran trainer as Ash really makes him the perfect parallel to him; even with the evolved ace and the way he swaps out ‘mons per region.

Cynthia’s way of explaining the iconic “all lives touch other lives” phrase, even how she talks to Paul was so intriguing because she knows what adopting that kind of mindset is like from experience. She knows a change in perspective for both sides comes upon meeting other people and Pokémon and reaching an understanding, and that’s a brilliant encapsulation of what this rivalry ends up becoming. Tears in my eyes ngl
This is actual and impactful foreshadowing at its finest!! I'll always laugh when people claim any other anipoke series is written better than DP because man, the type of writing here is something else!!
They tied this episode up really well with Ash vs Paul finale and I love how they were written, this is the episode which starts to hold Paul less in contempt and treat his abuse as another method which doesnt go down well with some of the fanbase, but I totally forgot Cynthia's parallels with Paul like this episode showed and in hindsight they didnt just make a 180 out of nowhere, this episode built upon it and was meant to showcase how his interactions with Ash causes Paul to be more mature and change his style around, most apparent in his JN return!!

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
This is actual and impactful foreshadowing at its finest!! I'll always laugh when people claim any other anipoke series is written better than DP because man, the type of writing here is something else!!
They tied this episode up really well with Ash vs Paul finale and I love how they were written, this is the episode which starts to hold Paul less in contempt and treat his abuse as another method which doesnt go down well with some of the fanbase, but I totally forgot Cynthia's parallels with Paul like this episode showed and in hindsight they didnt just make a 180 out of nowhere, this episode built upon it and was meant to showcase how his interactions with Ash causes Paul to be more mature and change his style around, most apparent in his JN return!!
Oh absolutely lmao, no other series has come close to the level of storytelling in DP and that’s an objective fact. Flashy animation and rock music can’t beat a cohesive and thorough narrative from start to finish.

I think Paul’s training and battling methods besides his treatment of Chimchar are truly just other methods; this episode made a point of that. I think it’s really effective and conveys a nuance and subtlety that the show really starts getting into from here with all the subsequent arcs surrounding these two. Paul is one of the best characters the anime has ever created, OC or adapted game character. His development is series-long and never feels rushed or sudden, same goes for the rivalry with him and Ash. It’s a very gradual buildup with a very gratifying finish. The return in JN just furthers solidifies that; couldn’t be more happy with it if I tried.