• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tornadibro RAGE!

Arty-Kun

Kill it with weather
Okay, I'm going to cut right to the chase here.
So recently, I got bored of the other pokemon website that I go on and decided to get funky with it on Serebii. Recently, I've become fairly active and I would like to make myself known on Serebii! I actually started competitive battling on Serebii like 90% of people, got some general concepts, put up some crappy teams, and shimmied on over to Smogon to actually learn about the competitive game. So now I came back and am ready to put up another crappy team!

Team Building Process
641.png

So I started out with one of my favorites, Tornadus. He is the least used OU pokemon and gets hardly any affection, so I decided to make a team centered around him. I considered Agility, Life Orb, and choice sets, and I ultimately decided on a Choice Specs set.

186.png
641.png

Well, Tornadus loves the rain. It gives his main STAB move, Hurricane, 100 accuracy in the rain. Lets add up the facts, base 120 STAB, Choice Specs, base 125 Sp. Atk, 252 Ev's, that's a whole lot of power! I decide to make Politoed specially defensive just for longevity. I would not want to lose control of the rain.

113.png
227.png
186.png
641.png

Tornadus loves sweeping, but sadly, most teams tend to resist being swept. So I decide to run a supportive defensive core with Skarmory and Chansey. Skarmory provides Spikes support and phasing, while Chansey provides Stealth Rock and paralysis, just in case something is faster then Tornadus. They also form the nice defensive core SkarmChans.

454.png
113.png
227.png
186.png
641.png

I need another sweeping pokemon, otherwise this will just turn into a time consuming stall rain team, and I actually want to ladder at a reliable pace so I can't let that happen. Toxicroak is apparently OU now for some reason, so I figured I would roll with it. And oh my is Toxicroak a good rain abuser or what? With Dry Skin and Black Sludge, it recovers the same amount of health as a SubSeeder with Leftovers, without the extra turn for Leech Seed! But this means Sunlight and Sandstorm are really going to kill me, so I need to add more emphasis on weather..

593.png
454.png
113.png
227.png
186.png
641.png

At the beginning of my laddering process, Rapid Spin was everywhere (among other gimmicks), so I decided as my last pokemon I need a spinblocker. Jellicent did nothing bad to my team, it's just I had a big electric weakness and as I got higher and higher up, nobody was really running Rapid Spin. So I decided to replace this juggernaut jellyfish with something else.

232.png
454.png
113.png
227.png
186.png
641.png

Once I cracked the top 500 or so, people began running Ferrothorn on every team, and if they didn't run Ferrothorn, they ran something that set up entry hazards. My team does a lot of switching, so that was a thorn in my side, not to mention my poor Tornadus is weak to rock type moves. So I decided to run a spinner. I chose Donphan because it filled such a unique niche. Donphan's ground typing gave my team a nice immunity to electric type moves, allowing myself to maneuver around Rotom-W a LOT easier. It was also very bulky, which helped get its job done. Donphan was a big help, but I had to replace it for something else.

51.png
454.png
113.png
227.png
186.png
641.png

Donphan was such a big help, but I just couldn't seem to get deeper then the top 50 carrying him. The reason is because everyone is just SO GOOD at predicting and literally everyone ran weather. I admit, I'm fairly good myself, but these guys who ran Tyranitar and Ninetales would not even give me an opportunity to attack them. I didn't want to give up the ground resistance or Rapid Spin, but I needed a way to eliminate other weather.

The Team
toxicroak.png

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
Nature: Adamant
Ev's: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
-Substitute
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch

Toxicroak? Yes, Toxicroak. This guy is one of my two main sweepers, and a very good one at that. I actually added Toxicroak because I wanted a sweeper to benefit off of Chansey's spreading paralysis everywhere. The idea is set up a Substitute and keep doing so until a pokemon can't move or until something misses, use Bulk Up, rinse, repeat. After two Bulk Ups, Gliscor's Earthquake does about 30% damage, allowing me to set up further while they helplessly set up Swords Dance or continue spamming Earthquake. Same for Conkeldurr, Jirachi, Salamence, Dragonite, Metagross, Scizor (who is a little trickier with Bullet Punch), and just about every other physical attacker out there. As one of my two sweepers, it does almost just as good a job as Tornadus when it comes to sweeping, and greatly appreciates entry hazards. Also, Dry Skin is a double edged sword, as this makes Toxicroak unusable in the sun. Nevertheless, my team can't fare at all without Toxicroak, he is just that amazing.

dugtrio.png

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
Nature: Jolly
Ev's: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Night Slash
-Aerial Ace

Dugtrio is so cute, I don't know why we should even make it fight. Anyways, this is the controversial slot on my team, Dugtrio happens to be the third and hopefully final pokemon in it (if you didn't read the teambuilding process, DO IT NOW). Dugtrio was basically there to trap and KO Ninetales and Tyranitar in the very high part of the leaderboard. This is not the pokemon currently in the slot now, but this is how the team was when I peaked with it. The idea is simple, bait Ninetails/Tyranitar with some horribly weakened pokemon, let it KO it, and come clean up. This was the most efficient way of defeating those rabblerousers, since they came in at unpredictable times. Occasionally, I would predict right and switch in to KO it. Dugtrio works best on rain teams out of all weathers because all opposing weather starters are weak to its STAB move, and trying to OHKO a Politoed will just kill it. Stone Edge for the occasional Abomasnow and any flying types, Night Slash acts as a semi Pursuit, and Aerial Ace is just filler, but I guess it can hurt Heracross? But seriously, all I need to do is get both pokemon in battle at the same time, and I already practically won the game. My only problem is that I'm a little more wary switching into electric moves, as Dugtrio is a lot more frail then Donphan.

politoed.png

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Calm
Ev's: 252 Hp / 36 Sp. Atk / 220 SpD
-Scald
-Encore
-Ice Beam
-Perish song

The heavens, the earth, and one thousand competitive battlers all just let out a cry of anguish. This is why gamefreak messed up generation 5 so bad. They brought permanent weather to OU. And unlike Ubers, the didn't give good pokemon the power to do that, they gave it to pokemon who were NU in gen 4, so your team ends up being 5 pokemon and permanent weather since you need to practically babysit Politoed. I went with a bulky spread because I do not want Politoed dying before the opponents weather starter, but if I see no weather starters or pokemon who benefit from weather in the team preview, I just throw Politoed out there and let it go to town. Scald actually has a base power of 120, because Politoed is almost always in the rain. So that's a STAB Hydro Pump with a 30% chance to burn. That's not too bad, and I invested a few Sp. Atk Ev's to beef that up a bit. Ice Beam is what all bulky waters have, Encore is there for anyone who wants to set up on me, and people tend to dislike being Encored, so they usually switch, and Perish Song is there for any pesky Siglyph's or Gastrodon's, or any defensive pokemon setting up.

113.png

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
Ev's: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave
-Softboiled
-Seismic Toss

Chansey, the pokemon who gained a tremendous boost from generation 5, the Eviolite. Chansey has two jobs in battle, set up Stealth Rock and paralyze EVERY POKEMON THAT EVER EXISTED! Yeah, I just love using Chansey for a couple reasons. The first is if Chansey comes in on a special attacker, something is going to get paralyzed before I call it back. This is where the 252 defense Ev's come in handy, along with Bold nature and an Eviolite, and Chansey turnes into a fairly capable mixed wall, able to take quite a few neutral hits, recover with Softboiled, and retreat. Another reason I love Chansey is how reliable it is at setting up Stealth Rock. Just about every match, I set up Stealth Rock, sometimes twice if I have to KO a spinner. One more thing I like about Chansey is how you can't give it any status conditions. Sure, you may force me to switch, but with Natural Cure, Chansey makes a nice status absorber for anything but sleep. Also, Chansey can easily KO any foolish special sweepers who want to stay in after a Thunder Wave and try and KO it, but usually I send in Toxicroak to benefit from all the status this girl spreads around. I also like her design. I picture her as a pink, fleshy, gigantic rock that just hardens and absorbs attacks with ease. She is also my check to special dragons, as she takes Draco Meteor like a boss.

skarmory.png

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Impish
Ev's: 180 Hp / 236 Def / 92 Spe
-Taunt
-Spikes
-Roost
-Whirlwind

Yes, I know what you are thinking. Yes, I do use SkarmChans. Yes, these two pokemon are inevitably the best defensive core in the game, and you can't deny it. Skarmory is there to provide Spikes support for Tornadus and to phase things. Taunt and 92 Speed Ev's is there to outspeed any Jellicent packing Taunt, who would otherwise be a nuisance (even though Tornadus 2HKO's and isn't OHKO'd in return). Whirlwind is for the beauty of phasing. I wish I had more to say about Skarmory, but I don't. We all used it in generation 4, so I'm sure you get why I use it. Sturdy acts as a virtual Focus Sash, which is nice. I would consider running Cutsap berry over Leftovers, but it isn't released yet so I don't think I should do that. Uh, yeah. That's it. Next!

641.png

Tornadus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Timid
Ev's: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
-Hurricane
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-U Turn

Thank you for bearing with me for so long, it's been long time typing for me. Well, this is the big enchilada, the guy who I based my team around. Tornadibro isn't as bad as you'd think, even though he was 1 rank away from being Borderline. Tornadibro likes sweeping, and with Spikes and SR up, there really isn't much it can't KO. In fact, it 2HKO's Blissey after Stealth Rock and Spikes damage. Yeah, that's pretty powerful. Hurricane is just ridiculously overpowered, being a base 120 STAB move with Choice Specs and base 125 Sp. Atk, this isn't a Specs Jolteon here, this is almost as strong as a Specs Latios's Draco Meteor. Focus Blast is there for coverage, and Tornadus actually gets pretty good coverage, the only things resisting it being Zapdos and Thundurus. Hidden Power Ice takes care of any Gliscor, Zapdos, Thunderuses (Thunduri?), and dragons 4x weak to it. U-Turn is a very nice scouting move that does some damage, but is mainly there for when I predict a switch so I can send out the appropriate pokemon. Oh yes, in case you haven't figured it out, this team peaked #1 on PO a couple months ago. It wasn't for long at all, but it did.

And that's it. Not even rain checks can really scare this team.

Gastrodon- Handled easily by Drain Punch Toxicroak, it has a bad base defense.

Rotom W- Chansey will Paralyze it, maybe Seismic Toss it once to put it in the danger zone, then another pokemon can easily come KO it. I can tell if it's choiced or not, depending on if it switches into Chansey (which no pokemon ever does), or by luring it to Thunderbolt, switching to Dugtrio, and seeing if Hydro Pump comes.

Jellicent- Skarmory taunts it, Tornadus 2HKO's it without being OHKO'd, Chansey Thunder Waves it, Toxicroak can Sucker Punch it, etc.

Vaporeon- Lol, Toxicroak set up bait

Tyranitar- Tornadus can use Focus Blast to OHKO non Chople Berry Tyranitar, Dugtrio does quite some damage

Ninetales- This is why I pack Dugtrio.

Scizor- Skarmory can easily set up, Toxi can set up fairly well.

Ferrothorn- Focus Blast and Drain Punch do it in. Taunt from Skarmory stops it cold.

Thundurus- Chansey stops it immediately with Thunder Wave

Jirachi- Skarmory AND Chansey stop it. Toxicroak sets up on it, and Dugtrio does a lot of damage.

Jolteon- This thing is hardly a threat. Choice sets are easily beaten, since Dugtrio comes in on Thunderbolt, and Chansey hopelessly walls Jolteon.

Kingdra- The worst case scenario, my opponent has Swift Swim Kingdra. I only encountered this a couple times, but I usually use Chansey to Paralyze it if it didn't boost, and if it did, Skarmory will phase it.
So yeah, that's it. I really like this team, be honest in your rates please!​

Last edited:
Ferro > Skarm

Baton Pass Jolteon can give you troubles. Yes, Baton Pass Jolteon. I ran into one not so long ago and it was pretty good. It won't get trapped by Dugtrio because it can just Baton Pass Out. And Half your team would lose to a Jolteon

Arty-Kun

Kill it with weather
Ferrothorn doesn't have the ability to phase, reliable recovery, or the ability to stop slower set uppers.
Jolteon is NOT a threat for two reasons. One is because the Baton Pass set is very very rare, and another is you are forgetting the pink blob in my team that is made to counter troublesome special attackers.

Ferrothorn doesn't have the ability to phase, reliable recovery, or the ability to stop slower set uppers.
Jolteon is NOT a threat for two reasons. One is because the Baton Pass set is very very rare, and another is you are forgetting the pink blob in my team that is made to counter troublesome special attackers.

Ferro resists Electric type attacks and can Leech Seed + Protect Stall if you know how to predict well.

And, now that Reflections - A team by Stone_Cold came out, you'll probably be seeing some Baton Pass Jolteon. and it can switch out against a Chansey and go to a Physical attacker

Arty-Kun

Kill it with weather
Ferro resists Electric type attacks and can Leech Seed + Protect Stall if you know how to predict well.

And, now that Reflections - A team by Stone_Cold came out, you'll probably be seeing some Baton Pass Jolteon. and it can switch out against a Chansey and go to a Physical attacker
Yes, because Chansey obviously can't take a Pursuit and a Volt Switch. My team doesn't have trouble with electric types, I have battled MANY electric types, and yet it still peaked 1st. I can understand tweaking something small, but replacing Skarmory is a big mistake, as it also helps me phase commonly seen pokemon on sandstorm teams. Also, Leech Seed and Protect is not reliable recovery. Baton Pass Jolteon isn't anything that will scare me, Chansey breaks its subs.

Yes, because Chansey obviously can't take a Pursuit and a Volt Switch. My team doesn't have trouble with electric types, I have battled MANY electric types, and yet it still peaked 1st. I can understand tweaking something small, but replacing Skarmory is a big mistake, as it also helps me phase commonly seen pokemon on sandstorm teams. Also, Leech Seed and Protect is not reliable recovery. Baton Pass Jolteon isn't anything that will scare me, Chansey breaks its subs.
Peaked at #1?
I wanna see the proof (wary)

And, Skarm is good. But i'm saying fast electric types can give you troubles..

How would you handle a mixed attacking Electivire after a speed boost from Chansey's T-Wave since your opponent would've predicted it? It can pretty much 6-0 you. Tbolt | Cross Chop | Ice Punch / HP Ice | EQ. Sucker Punching would be your best bet, but if Toxicroak or Dugtrio are gone, then it is GG.

Fortunato

Sic Transit Gloria
Rotom-w+physical attacker 6-0s

Terrakion also 6-0s with ease, basically everytime it comes in it gets a free kill and if its a double booster set it wins as soon as it gets a boost.

Last edited:

Arty-Kun

Kill it with weather
Peaked at #1?
I wanna see the proof (wary)

And, Skarm is good. But i'm saying fast electric types can give you troubles..

How would you handle a mixed attacking Electivire after a speed boost from Chansey's T-Wave since your opponent would've predicted it? It can pretty much 6-0 you. Tbolt | Cross Chop | Ice Punch / HP Ice | EQ. Sucker Punching would be your best bet, but if Toxicroak or Dugtrio are gone, then it is GG.
Okay, how bad at predicting do you think I am?
Would you use Fire Blast on a Scizor if you saw a Heatran in the team preview?
Anyways, Thunderbolt is a bad choice of STAB with a base 95 Sp. Atk firstly, so Politoed would survive and Perish Song. If it is early in the match, I can sacrifice my Skarm down to 1 Hp and Whirlwind it, if it's late game and my Skarm is damaged, I can OHKO a Hasty Electivire with Sucker Punch, and quite frankly, the fact that it can't have 252 Ev's in Atk, Special Attack, and Speed does tend to put a damper on things. Electrevire is really the only electric who can actually pose a threat, and that's after I make a bad prediction (I would never fall for that). And the chances someone uses Electevire AND nabs a speed boost off me in OU is very slim.

pokemonjeff

interested trader
What about changing chansey's siesmic toss to something else support? Hear me out, even though at first this may seem bad.

1 : Chansey is going to switch if it cant win to get away anyway, why even bother attacking

2: Taunt bait : Its going to switch anyway

3: Could help the rest of your team, not sure what with. Maybe wish or heal bell? (I think, don't hold me to that).

Arty-Kun

Kill it with weather
Rotom-w+physical attacker 6-0s

Terrakion also 6-0s with ease, basically everytime it comes in it gets a free kill and if its a double booster set it wins as soon as it gets a boost.
If you actually read the threat list or Chansey's Ev's you would know that Rotom-W wouldn't be a threat, and something would be paralyzed. This team is not bad, otherwise it would not have done as well as it did ._.

What about changing chansey's siesmic toss to something else support?
If Chansey is taunted, I switch out. I need Seismic Toss to do damage.

If you actually read the threat list or Chansey's Ev's you would know that Rotom-W wouldn't be a threat, and something would be paralyzed. This team is not bad, otherwise it would not have done as well as it did ._.

What he meant was, Scarf Rotom-W can just keep on Volt Switching out, not get trapped by Arena Trap due to Levitate, and just trick the Scarf onto Chansey rendering it kinda useless

EmeraldGoblin

Rehab, no. Dead.
What he meant was, Scarf Rotom-W can just keep on Volt Switching out, not get trapped by Arena Trap due to Levitate, and just trick the Scarf onto Chansey rendering it kinda useless

after taking the evolite away, giving the evolite to someone else too... for more troll power lol

Swagga09

Rotom-H laughs at this team.. Seriously

6-1

the only thing it CAN'T beat is chansey

Arty-Kun

Kill it with weather
Rotom-H laughs at this team.. Seriously

6-1

the only thing it CAN'T beat is chansey
Rotom-H in rain does not threaten me at all. And if you actually read the full RMT, you would see what I do in the case of Rotom-W >_>
This team needs prediction, and I usually hit spot on with my predictions. If you have more issues with the team, PM me and we can battle n_n

Swagga09

Rotom-H in rain does not threaten me at all. And if you actually read the full RMT, you would see what I do in the case of Rotom-W >_>
This team needs prediction, and I usually hit spot on with my predictions. If you have more issues with the team, PM me and we can battle n_n

I actually meant Rotom-W, typo, sorry.

And donphan isn't gona do much against Rotom... Donphan is just gonna get smacked right in the face with hydro pumps. And no good trainer is actually going to use rotom against chansey..

Too summarize this up. Once chansey goes down (which wouldn't be too hard with the heavy amount of mach punchers this gen) you are totally screwed.

Arty-Kun

Kill it with weather
I actually meant Rotom-W, typo, sorry.

And donphan isn't gona do much against Rotom... Donphan is just gonna get smacked right in the face with hydro pumps. And no good trainer is actually going to use rotom against chansey..

Too summarize this up. Once chansey goes down (which wouldn't be too hard with the heavy amount of mach punchers this gen) you are totally screwed.
Well, for one I switch when a fighting type comes in. Do you take me as an idiot? >_>
And for two, Toxicroak isn't KO'd by Thunder and can hit it with Drain Punch + Sucker Punch to KO it. Also, Hydro Pump restores 25% of its health thanks to Dry Skin.

midend

right...your skarm is STILL taunt bait, since it only has 92 EVs in speed.

Last edited:
right...your skarm is STILL taunt bait, since it only has 92 EVs in speed.

Ok, come on. Do you even know what "Taunt Bait" means? The answer is nothing. What the hell even uses Taunt in OU? Whimsicott who sucks, Deoxys who mainly leads and bad Thundurus who was recently banned anyway. Some Gliscor run Taunt, Swords Dance Haxorus and Gyarados MIGHT. Skarmory doesn't beat ANY of those Pokemon with Brave Birds except Haxorus kind of and MOST Haxorus don't run Taunt anyway.

Anyhow for the rate.. a lot of your EVs are really bad.

Try 252 Attack / 92 HP / 164 Speed on Toxicroak. This lets you outrun Timid Magnezone, Jolly Tyranitar, defensive base 100s (even with 60+ speed EVs), virtually all Gliscor / Rotom and so on.

269 - Adamant Kingdra
268 - 0 Speed Mischievous Whimsicott (+1 priority)
262 - Jolly Breloom / Jolly Cloyster / Specs Politoed
261 - Adamant Gyarados
259 - Adamant Dragonite
244 - 32 Speed Zapdos / Jirachi / Celebi
243 - Jolly Tyranitar
240 - Timid Magnezone
239 - Adamant Breloom / Adamant Cloyster
236 - Bold Tentacruel / Jolly Scrafty
229 - Adamant 252 Speed Scizor
226 - 0 Speed Impish Gliscor
208 - 0 Speed Rotom Appliance
207 - 4 Speed Bulk Up Adamant Toxicroak

At the bottom is your 4 speed EV set. At the top is your max speed. Maxing Speed isn't needed. Your set isn't going to be beating Gliscor any time soon. It switches in as you Bulk Up, and quickly 3HKOs taking into account Rain healing. It outruns you. Speed EVs will mildly help but if you want to take out Gliscor, lol just run Ice Punch.

Drop Night Slash for Pursuit on Dugtrio. Band Pursuit can do heavy damage to Gengar or Latios if they expect a Night Slash or Sucker Punch. Get rid of Aerial Ace too.. Its only for Breloom and your Toxicroak / Skarmory do that well enough. Sucker Punch or even Memento would do better..

Put Politoed's Special Attack EVs in speed. Speed lets you outrun Skarmory letting you 2HKO it before it Spikes all over you and beat stuff like Jellicent with perish Song (well not really but at least it can't Taunt you).

4 HP / 252 Defense / 252 Special Defense on Chansey. You'd be surprised how much damage can rack up from Rocks / Sandstorm when Chansey is being pummeled by Specs Meteors, LO Rain Hydro Pumps and Sun boosted Fire Blasts. Running Special Defense means the special attacks Chansey walls will do less, meaning she has to heal less. Each time you heal you give your opponent a free turn to switch to a counter. Run Special Defense, Chansey needs it.

Run 252 HP / 164 Defense / 92 Speed on Skarmory. This takes Physical hits a little better and Special hits a LOT better. Your current EV spread isn't that good.

As for weaknesses.. Rotom, like everyone said is a big one. With Stealth Rocks down it can just throw Volt Switches at you until Chansey is weak. Toxicroak can't stop it because with your EVs it is outrun and Will-O-Wisped.

SD Taunt Gliscor is an enormous threat. Only Thundurus can switch in on it safely and even then you have to worry about taking a Facade or Ice Fang. Politoed takes 80% minimum factoring in Stealth Rocks from +2 EQ.

Sub Calm Mind Jirachi can potentially 6-0 if it is careful to Sub often. Dugtrio can revenge it but nothing is particularly good at taking its Sub down. Even Toxicroak fails to break its sub on the defensive CM sets.

DD Taunt Haxorus 6-0s. Luckily most are just CB.

Taunt DD Gyarados 6-0s. Offensive Gyarados also probably gets close to 6-0ing due to your own Rain.

Jellicent is a big problem. Toxicroak can't hurt it without Sucker Punching and with Taunt Jellicent will quickly PP stall you. Tornadus is literally the only Pokemon on your team capable of harming it and it takes a clean 2HKO from rain Scald.

Swords Dance Lucario 6-0s.

You can always drop Dugtrio for a Scarf Rotom. Beats a lot of your troubles while spamming Volt switch to rack up Spikes damage. Besides that and the afore mentioned EV changes I don't know what to add without REALLY changing this team. You could drop Dugtrio / Toxicroak / Tornadus and just run rain stall.