• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Total Trickery - Part II (VGC)

ac333

Squirtle Squirt!
Okay, so after some criticism and comments from both Serebii users and friends, I’ve decided to play around with my Total Trickery Team. Mostly I’m making sure I can do everything I intended to have accomplished with this team, but changed around some members to better face off against certain counters~

:518: (Pashmarna)
Musharna @ Mental Herb
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Sp. ATK / 252 Sp. Def
Nature: Sassy
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Helping Hand
- Moonlight

When I first heard about the ability Telepathy, I instantly thought “I could easily exploit Earthquake and Selfdestruct / Explosion without worrying about my own partner.” Sadly, I despised Musharna’s terrible speed, and for a while, the idea was dropped. Brought up again now that I can see that many slow-mons have been introduced this generation, Musharna is meant to be partnered with Gigalith for the best results.

The max EVs in HP and Special Defense are meant to help survive a possible Shadow Ball from threats, that way I can at least set up Trick Room. The Helping Hand is there to boost up the eventual Explosion, and Moonlight helps it live another turn. The Mental Herb is another precaution, as everybody I know who’s going to VGC this year has something with Taunt, especially that horrible Prankster Whimsicott. One option I could have used was Magic Coat instead of Helping Hand, but its speed makes it worthless when I need it the most: at the start of the match. I’d rather take an Explosion boost than a risk-filled counter.

:526: (Gigakanda)
Gigalith @ Normal Gem
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp Def
Nature: Brave
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Explosion

Rarely do I find Pokémon with chemistry like Gigalith and Musharna. The two work so well together, helping the other set up or attack, without any collateral damage. Sadly, a love like this can never last, as poor Gigalith is destined for doom. Although Explosion lacks that defense-halving benefit it had before, the boost from both the Normal Gem and Helping Hand are meant to say “Ha! How worthless is it now?”

Once again a Speed-hindering nature is seen, but it’s pretty much a must for this team. The HP boost could have been exchanged for more EVs in defensive areas, but either way Gigalith is meant to die eventually. Protect and Sturdy help keep it alive for Musharna to start up Trick Room, and the other attacking moves help prevent any Pokémon like Chandelure from ruining my Trick Room / Explosion.

:593: (Pringel)
Jellicent @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 4 Sp Def
Nature: Quiet
- Trick Room
- Water Spout
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

Musharna isn’t destined to live forever either, and once it goes down, Jellicent is next in line to keep up the Trick Room. It’s a bit fast, but it could really make a dent in Golurk and Chandelure, which are both pretty impressive team counters. Water Spout right off the bat is insane, and Sitrus Berry is meant to keep it’s BP high (and survive obviously). Shadow Ball is another good move, taking out other threats like Musharna or Reuniclus, and Ice Beam is to take out the Genies and the dragons.

Jellicent is all around an amazing ally for my team. It works beautifully with the three Pokémon below, especially Ferrothorn and Conkeldurr. While it meant taking out Carracosta and settling the Chandelure/ Cofagrigus despute by having neither, I think that Jellicent will prove to be a valuable member for VGC.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Possible 4th Party Members~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*​

:598: (Natto)
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers / Occa Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 Def
- Protect
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Hone Claws

I expect to hear a bunch of “How could you NOT put max EVs in Ferrothorn’s defenses?” but this set is meant to hit hard on teams who don’t expect it. Its defenses are intense enough as is, and I highly doubt anything is going to be able to take it down in one hit. A fire attack might, but that’s what Jellicent is for! Power Whip and Gyro Ball are musts, being incredibly powerful, and Protect is valuable in staying alive as Trick Room is reset. The fourth slot goes to Hone Claws, but I could also change it for Swords Dance. The great thing about Hone Claws is that it raises the accuracy of that unreliable Power Whip.

Combined with Jellicent, the two are excellent in battling many types, and together don't have many flaws. Ferrothorn might just be my go-to fourth team member~

:534: (Roboshi)
Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 Sp. Def
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Conkeldurr was one of the reasons I considered a Trick Room team, as Fighting types practically rule the metagame, taking out many unwanted Dark and Steel types. Excadrill and Hydreigon would never be problems with Conkeldurr. The HP investment is for life, keeping Burn from becoming too big of a hassle (necessary nonetheless for Guts activation), and attack is self-explanatory. Conkeldurr is meant to hit fast, and hit harder than most any Pokémon.

The reasons I chose Conkeldurr over Scrafty were numerous. As nice as Fake Out is, Mach Punch is amazing, and it's lower Speed and higher attack is what I'm looking for in a fighting type.

:621: (Rabioso)
Druddigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 Sp. Def
- Dragon Claw
- Crunch / Superpower
- Fire Fang / Superpower
- Protect

Blame the recent anime episode for my new love for this dragon. Its speed is poor enough to “outslow” most contenders, and has only two weaknesses. Sheer Force with Life Orb is great because it receives both boosts, but doesn’t have to worry about recoil damage. Sheer Force is kept for Fire Fang, which will deter opposing Ferrothorn, Galvantula, and Amoongus. It also boosts Crunch, which will be good against Golurk, Jellicent, and Reuniclus. Either of these moves could be replaced with Superpower too, as it has great potential as well. Dragon Claw is better than Outrage in my opinion, since Outrage randomly attacks, locks it in, and eventually gets gonfused.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

These choices are not locked in much, and I’m willing to change these for other Pokémon if the reasoning makes sense. Please Rate my Team~ :D

Last edited:
For Ferrothorn another possibility is to replace Hone Claws with Curse and use Seed Bomb instead of Power Whip so that the accuracy isn't a problem. Plus Curse will increase the power of Gyro Ball and help it to "outslow" anything and everything.

ac333

Squirtle Squirt!
Wow talk about a mental lapse on my part! xD;

It also increases Defense, so that's a plus too. I don't know how I forgot about that since Curse was on my in-game Ferro...

I understand your 4th Pokemon dilemma. I like Ferrothorn, except with him, you're lacking something with a type advantage against Dark type that 2 of your Pokemon are weak against. Also, the VGC rules I read allowed each person 6 Pokemon, so if that's the case you'll have a little more wiggle room.

MilesEdgeworth

Ace Attorney
One improvement possible, otherwise a good team. Leftovers over sitrus berry on jellacent for a constistant boost, sitrus won't do anything for water spout anyway when he's at 25% hp. Also don't send in jellecent to early cause you might run out of trick room later

DBK

Renegade Trainer
I understand your 4th Pokemon dilemma. I like Ferrothorn, except with him, you're lacking something with a type advantage against Dark type that 2 of your Pokemon are weak against. Also, the VGC rules I read allowed each person 6 Pokemon, so if that's the case you'll have a little more wiggle room.

6 for the team, 4 four battle.

Anyways, definitely a good team. One suggestion: Cursed Body for Jellicent. You don't have anything on your team that would make Water Absorb useful. Plus, I don't even think it can learn Flash Fire. :p

ac333

Squirtle Squirt!
That was a mistake on my part. I was using my old Chandelure info as a template and I forgot to change the ability! xD

I had a couple other ideas instead of Ferrothorn (Who HAS to hold Leftovers so Jellicent can't have it), but I'll only get into that if people have enough concerns with it. :/