• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Totem Pokemon and Kahuna battle prediction Thread

Domok

Now that we know Ash's first Totem Pokemon battle is probably coming up with Totem Gumshoos appearing soon,I thought this thread would be pretty relevant to make. Another thing is the Kahunas,which Ash will clearly also fight at some point. So I think putting these two types of major battles in the same thread is a good idea.

J D Sheppard

To be fair we don't know a battle is coming up. We don't know how the trials will go.

No guarantee they will be battles with the totem pokemon. It might be some other event

Domok

To be fair we don't know a battle is coming up. We don't know how the trials will go.

No guarantee they will be battles with the totem pokemon. It might be some other event

I think it's pretty safe to say it will be a battle,that would be like if Gyms had been something other than battles in the Anime.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I just hope they don't follow the same exact format as gym battles. I want something more fresh and something that actually promotes the games version of island Trials the right way.

KungFuMaster

KungFu Zen Mode
Wait this means that if it goes like the games, Lana will probably be next? But she's still in school just like the other captains? I'm so confused right now. (Pretty sure Lillie will stick on for the rest of the series then)

J D Sheppard

I think it's pretty safe to say it will be a battle,that would be like if Gyms had been something other than battles in the Anime.

Except trials are completely different then gyms.

Gyms are facing other trainers. They may not want to have ash beat up wild pokemon. So they may change things. Either the totem pokemon has a trainer or the trial is something different. Like the photography trial in the demo.

For example the fire trial could involve a dance off
The grass trial a cook off
The water trial a fishing contest

Stuff like that

Domok

Except trials are completely different then gyms.

Gyms are facing other trainers. They may not want to have ash beat up wild pokemon. So they may change things. Either the totem pokemon has a trainer or the trial is something different. Like the photography trial in the demo.

For example the fire trial could involve a dance off
The grass trial a cook off
The water trial a fishing contest

Stuff like that
Trials already involve doing stuff like you mentioned. I highly doubt they're going to introduce these big guardian like Pokemon to the Trials if ash wasn't going to fight them. You gotta remember the Pokemon anime is also a lot about its battles,and if you cut out the Totem battles then you would only have the Kahunas which is like 4 battles which wouldn't have very much substance.

J D Sheppard

Trials already involve doing stuff like you mentioned. I highly doubt they're going to introduce these big guardian like Pokemon to the Trials if ash wasn't going to fight them. You gotta remember the Pokemon anime is also a lot about its battles,and if you cut out the Totem battles then you would only have the Kahunas which is like 4 battles which wouldn't have very much substance.

Unless the trial is something involving the totem pokemon other then battling and after completing it ash faces the trial captain

Domok

Unless the trial is something involving the totem pokemon other then battling and after completing it ash faces the trial captain

I could see that but I think it's more likely he'll just fight the Totem. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Mike999246

I have a feeling that it'll be one of those suprise reveals, they'll be walking up to her trails and she'll say "Welcome to my Trial!" Or a few episodes before they get to the second trial, Lana, Kiawe and Mallow will all be elected to be Trial Captains by Tapu Lele

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

IIRC, it's stated by at least two Trial Captains (I believe both Ilima and Lana say it) that Totem Pokémon trained by the Trial Captains, so while you battle them as if they are wild Pokémon, and they probably behave like wild Pokémon, one could argue that they are not completely wild.

Battles are a staple of the Pokémon franchise, and the Totem Pokémon are a major feature of the Sun and Moon games, so I doubt the anime will cut out or change the Totem Pokémon battles. I imagine the trials in the anime will be similar to the trials in the game. Ash will have to complete a set of tasks, working together with his Pokémon, and then face the Totem Pokémon and its allies. The anime has the flexibility of making the trials more interesting or using them as opportunities for Ash to bond with his Pokémon, so I'm actually looking forward to them.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I wonder if it'll be like in the games where you have to beat the Kahuna to move on to the next island. If so, this could be the first time Ash beats an actual Elite 4 member technically.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Well in the games, the main work of the Trial Captain's is to oversee the trial of the challenger, that all. You don't need to battle them to win (and battle with them in-game is sort of a side quest). You only have to defeat the Totem Pokemon to complete the trial.

So, i think that maybe the part about Trial Captain's could either be scarped in the anime or would be only limited to Ilima, Mina and maybe Acerola (since i partially see her as a potential future student for the School), or some anime only characters.

Also i have doubts we would see Ash face a Totem Mimikyu, as we already have a that hatred thing of Jessie's Mimikyu going on against Pikachu.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
I think that maybe the part about Trial Captain's could either scarped in the anime or would be only limited to Ilima, Mina and maybe Acerola (since i partially see her as a potential future student for the School).

Also i have doubts we would see Ash face a Totem Mimikyu, as we already have a that hatred thing of Jessie's Mimikyu going on against Pikachu.
Highly doubt it. The captains still have their captain symbols indicating their status.

I bet the big reveal of episode 9 will be that Ash's classmates are Trial Captains once Ash learns about the Island Challenge. What exactly is preventing Ash from doing the Captain's trials? Nothing. They are all travelling together and they can visit each island for the respective captain's trial.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Highly doubt it. The captains still have their captain symbols indicating their status.

I bet the big reveal of episode 9 will be that Ash's classmates are Trial Captains once Ash learns about the Island Challenge. What exactly is preventing Ash from doing the Captain's trials? Nothing. They are all travelling together and they can visit each island for the respective captain's trial.

I actually want Kiawe, Mallow, Lana and Sophocles all to have a battle with Ash at some point. If they are all Trial captains, then that will most probably happen.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer

Well, i edited my post above to add in a bit of reasoning as well.

But i feel that Trial Captain's aren't needed that much actually as part of the story. Since, in-game as well Trial Captain's don't actually have much to do.

In-game you only have battles against Ilima, Lana, Kiawe\Mallow long after their Trial is over. And you only battle Sophocles, who appears as a Challenger to the Champion (aka., the Player). Acerola becomes the new E4 member, and regarding Mina i am completely not sure how hers work.

While the concept of Trial's would still be there, but the part regarding Trial Captain's could easily be filled by some anime only characters or the Island Kahuna.

Aside from that, i think it was mentioned that Kiawe got his Z-Ring after he completed a Trial, so i don't think he is a Trial Captain yet.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Aside from that, i think it was mentioned that Kiawe got his Z-Ring after he completed a Trial, so i don't think he is a Trial Captain yet.
He has the captain's symbol and so do the other three of Ash's classmates.

That's not just something the animators forgot to omit, especially after bothering to remove Kukui's wedding ring from his hand.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
He has the captain's symbol and so do the other three of Ash's classmates.

That's not just something the animators forgot to omit, especially after bothering to remove Kukui's wedding ring from his hand.

As for the Captain's Symbol, are we sure that the implication of them is the same in the anime as in the games?

As for Kukui's wedding ring, well maybe they plan to get him married in the anime story-line at some point. Which potentially becomes the reason for Ash getting kicked out of Kukui's house (since he is staying there for now).

Janovy

Banned
As for the Captain's Symbol, are we sure that the implication of them is the same in the anime as in the games?
I don't see why it wouldn't be. Otherwise, why leave them in their design at all? If they were never intended to be captains in the anime, why give them the symbol?

They could have easily removed it and that would have given us the sign that we are just dealing with regular kids.

As for Kukui's wedding ring, well maybe they plan to get him married in the anime story-line at some point. Which potentially becomes the reason for Ash getting kicked out of Kukui's house (since he is staying there for now).
LOL. Well I'd love to see a storyline for Kukui. It would be nice.