• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Toughest Gym Leader?

Which Gym Leader out of all the games was the hardest for you to beat?

For me, it's definitely Whitney and that fat *** cow that flattened my poor Pokemon ):
Norman was hard for me to beat too.

Which Gym Leader out of all the games was the hardest for you to beat?

For me, it's definitely Whitney and that fat *** cow that flattened my poor Pokemon ):
Norman was hard for me to beat too.

Whitney was hard for me to beat at first too.

Curse you Stomp and Attract!

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success
By far Whitney, and coincidentally Norman. Whitney in Silver actually made me cry the fifth time or so I lost (age of 6, btw :p) and Norman's Slaking on anything but Torchic runthroughs was pretty suicidal

Kingdomhearts427

Bug/Steel Trainer
Clair from Gold and Silver.

She was such a pain. 3 Dragonair's that would do nothing but paralyze my entire team. Then a Kingdra that was only weak to dragon moves, which you probably would not have unless you traded...*cough* gameshark.

But in HG/SS they made her easier... in my opinion.

Weirder though, I have never found Whitney to be difficult, I've played Gold, Silver, Crystal, and HG/SS more times then I can remember. Never once did I have difficulty with her. Guess It's luck.

Antiyonder

Overlord
I'd say that both Whitney and Norman are really hard to beat when it comes to Miltank and Vigeroth. Even with the type advantage, those Pokemon are tanks. Best I can do is to wear their defense down with Rock Smash and hope that a really powerful attack will send them down.

Claire's pure Dragon Types are easier if you brought in a Pokemon with an Ice Attack, but Kingdra unless you have a Pokemon with a Dragon Type move is simply a monster.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Whitney. I'm not even sure she's an actual Gym Leader; I think she's actually the Devil! I think her Clefairy is fairly easy to defeat, but it takes forever to defeat that Miltank of hers. It's just way too much of a challenge for just the third Gym in the Johto region >:c

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Yeah, I agree. Whitney was a pain to beat. Her Miltank is a beast.

I also had problems with Candice in Platinum, but I guess that's because I didn't have any good Anti-Ice monsters.

heatran_ran

Lost in Ilex Forest
I believe I agree with everyone who's abusing Whitney over here. Also, although this may seem odd, I actually found Fire red's Misty quite difficult. Meh.

MeowMix

We gotta cook
Whitney....that cow....*shudder* luckily, her Cleffa only metronomed moves like growl and ember....Falkener was a little annoying, as he kept on roost-spamming.

Celest M.

Celestial Mistress~
For me, it was Clair from G/S/C. She's not the final gym leader for nothing. Even when I was overleveled as heck, she still gave me problems back then...

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Whitney was hard for me to beat at first too.

Curse you Stomp and Attract!

This!

Plus also Clair can be a menace too if you don't have an Ice type on you
(out of all the Pokemon I had at that time, only Feraligatr (Ice Fang) and Gengar were any close to compatible)

The Fire Starter

Clair. When I got to her, all of my pokemon were underleveled. Since I didn't want to grind for hours, I had to transfer my HG team over to my Diamond so I could train them more efficiently, then bring them back. It was well worth it to pluck down her dragons one by one.

Katipunero

Eye in the Sky
Clair (Kingdra was a pain) and Tate & Liza (It was my first time gym leaders through double battle then and their earthquake-levitate combo ripped my team to shreds)

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Yeah. I forgot how tough Tate/Liza were too. What type did they have again? I thought it was Psychic. I can't believe my Mightyena AND my Absol were crushed by the type theyre meant to me immune too.

SceptileFan

I AM RACCOON MAN
Whitney. I never played G/S (my 1st game was Ruby), but she was such a pain in HG/SS. Seriously. I did beat her on the 1st try, but I wasted about 35 super potions, and she took out all but one Pokemon with that stupid freaking Miltank.

Also, I found Brawly difficult in Ruby. Makuhita destroyed me the 1st two times I fought, and I got really frustrated (I was 8). But then I literally spent about a solid week training my Grovyle, and unknowingly got him up to level 29. I was still nervous about losing, but then Leaf Blade knocked both Pokemon out in one hit. Yeah, so not really difficult anymore.

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
I grind like a maniac (usually 25-30 levels ahead of the current gym leader. Preperation!), but I occasionally have trouble with a gym leader.

When I was a kid, it was Sabrina.

Now, it's Liza and Tate. I hated those kids. (Double whammy on me, Double battle (which I hate and suck at) and Psychic type GL's.)

Of course, the reason I had/have trouble with those is because of type match ups. I refuse to use any type but fighting, as they are my favorite.

~Nemmeh

iup788

pro cloyster
ntr

I don't think Whitney was hard at all. My Quilava pwnd her pretty easily. The hardest gym leader(s) were Liza & Tate. I trained my pokemon to 20 levels above theirs for that battle, and it was still hard.