1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Tournament Team

Discussion in 'Older Gen RMT' started by Lulamoon, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Lulamoon

Lulamoon Cheese for everyone!

I'm entering a tournament sometime next month. This tournament will be using the rules for VGC 2011. For those who are unfamilar with the VGC rules, it is a double battle, allowing me to bring six Pokémon, but only use four. Since I have to choose two Pokémon to not use, I made it easier on myself and made three combinations. Based on what my opponent's team is, I can choose which two of the three combos I want to use.

First (lead) combo: :620: and :547:
    Second combo: :596: and :567:
    Third combo: :593: and :635:

FIRST COMBO
    [​IMG]
    Mienshao @ Fighting Gem
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly
    - Fake Out
    - Drain Punch
    - U-turn
    - Protect

Meinshao is meant to Fake Out the biggest threat while Whimsicott either Protects or sets up Tailwind. I'm using Drain Punch over Hi Jump Kick because it has worked for me well countless times when HJK would have lead to my defeat. I don't remember how much it does to Terrakion after a Fighting Gem boost, but it does quite a bit if it doesn't KO it. U-turn is mostly to take care of opposing Whimsicott, but it can also be used as a retreat. Protect is my fourth move because I can't think of anything better, and Protect works very well.

[​IMG]
    Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    - Protect
    - Giga Drain
    - Tailwind
    - Trick Room

As I said earlier, Whimsicott either Protects or sets up Tailwind while Meinshao Fakes Out, depending on the situation. Giga Drain is to recover and cause damage, especially if Focus Sash didn't activate. I had Energy Ball before, but I think Giga Drain will work better since it's only slightly weaker. I only have Trick Room to cancel out Trick Room if my opponent uses it.

SECOND COMBO
    [​IMG]
    Galvantula @ Wise Glasses
    Ability: Compound Eyes
    Nature: Modest
    - Thunder
    - Electroweb
    - Bug Buzz
    - Hidden Power (water)

Thunder is accurate on a Galvantula, and Bug Buzz is a good STAB move. Electroweb hits both of my opponent's Pokémon and lowers their Speed. Hidden Power is mostly to hit Ground-types, as Thunder is stronger on almost any other type. I know Ice would be better, but Water is what I have. I'm using Wise Glasses to power up all of my moves without locking me into anything.

[​IMG]
    Archeops @ Flying Gem
    Ability: Defeatist
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly
    - Acrobatics
    - Rock Slide
    - U-turn
    - Dragon Claw

Acrobatics gets a very nice power up from the Flying Gem, and few Pokémon can take the hit well. Rock Slide is a powerful STAB move that hits both Pokémon and can cause flinch. U-turn and Dragon Claw are there mostly because I can't think of anything better. Besides, without HP Ice on Galvantula, I don't really have anything to hit Dragons.

THIRD COMBO
    [​IMG]
    Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP, 216 Def, 44 Spe
    Nature: Bold
    - Scald
    - Energy Ball
    - Hex
    - Protect

This is my favorite combination. Jellicent is very bulky with a nice type combo. With Water Absorb, he heals 25% when Hydreigon uses Surf. Scald's chance of burning is very nice, especially on an already bulky Pokémon. Protect is mostly for Leftovers recovery, but can be even more useful in double battles. Hex is a pwerful STAB move after a burn.

[​IMG]
    Hydreigon @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Timid
    - Surf
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Dark Pulse
    - Flamethrower

I really don't have much to say about Hydreigon, as the set is fairly obvious. Surf and Flamethrower are for coverage, the former also for healing Jellicent, and Dragon Pulse and Dark Pulse are great STAB moves. I'm using Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor because I really don't like the Special Attack drop. While I also don't like the Life Orb recoil, the power givin by it is worth it (most of the time, anyway), and I don't have any other options, aside from a Choice item, which I don't think is worth it.

I haven't had access to PO for some time, so I don't remember exactly how well this team has worked out. After a few changes I made, it seems to have worked out well. However, with few people using VGC 2011 rules, it was hard to find battles to test it out.
    The only problems I remember having were against Terrakion and Whimsicott leads. I think my leads can deal with them, but I'm not entierly sure.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. Dark Pulse94

Dark Pulse94 Scienta Potentia Est

...did you consider Acrobatics or Stone Edge on Mienshao? Protect is not the best move on a Mienshao IMO, but I haven't done a double battle in ages, so I could be mistaken...

As for Jellicent - I think that having Water Absorb AND recover is a bit of Overkill, while Protect just seems to throw that off completely - I suggest adding Hex to it's moveset - You are going to be using Scald to burn the opponent, and then Hex will boost that further with a 100 base Power - otherwise, use Shadow Ball...

Other than that, I'm not too sure... It looks OK - but I'm not too familiar with VCG - I know it's Unova only, but I never really liked their rules...

3. Haru Glory

Haru Glory Rave Master

First Combo

Mienshao is powerful, but seeing Whimsicott, I think you should use the classic TerraCott duo.

Terrakion @ Muscle Band
    Jolly, Justified
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    - Earthquake
    - X-Scissor

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
    Calm, Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 SpD
    - Beat Up
    - Tailwind
    - Encore
    - Giga Drain

Terrakion: Huge Attack and Speed, has Close Combat and a Rock-type move as STABs, Stone Edge if you want more power but less accuracy, or Rock Slide to go sure, still with 120 damage. Earthquake gives coverage and forms QuakeEdge/Slide combo, and X-Scissor helps with Psychic and Dark-types.

Whimsicott: All he does is supporting Terrakion, boosting Attack with Beat Up (does 4-8 HP damage with Calm nature and 0 Attack IVs), and Speed for 5 turns with Tailwind. EV spread make his defenses equal, and can also use Encore to get the enemy stuck with a status move or something, and Giga Drain for recover and to not be Taunted.

Second Combo

Galvantula needs a bit of working, you can run a different set instead of the classic Compoundeyes one. And, as for Archeops, forget him. Okay, it has huge attacking stats, but it's frail, and his Ability comes in play after a hit or two.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
    Modest, Unnerve
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
    - Agility
    - Electro Ball
    - Bug Buzz
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Carracosta @ Leftovers
    Adamant, Sturdy
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    - Shell Smash
    - Waterfall
    - Rock Slide
    - Crunch

Galvantula: A little variant of PotW set. A Focus Sash helps with its frailty, and Unnerve helps with some Berries sets, since Swarm it's unrealeased on him, and Compoundeyes is useless with this moveset. Agility gives you +2 Speed, making you outspeed lots of things. Electro Ball increases its power the faster you are, and has STAB. Bug Buzz gives you secondary STAB, and HP Ice helps with Dragons and Landorus.

Carracosta: The other Fossil guy is very useful, has Shell Smash to increase power and Speed, but lowers defenses. Waterfall and Rock Slide are STABs, and Crunch gives coverage with Psychic and Ghost-types.

Third Combo

IMHO, it's the one that needs least changes. You need to adjust Jellicent's moveset, and you're done. I would go with Hex over Recover, since you get 25% of your HP back with Hydreigon's Surf, and with Scald's Burn chance, it will be 150 power, nothing to laugh at. Or, give him Hex over Protect, and stay with Recover, but change the ability to Cursed Body. IMHO, you should stay with the first option I gave you, but if you want to change, be my guest. Hydreigon is okay, if you want to have more power, try Fire Blast.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  4. Lulamoon

Lulamoon Cheese for everyone!

I went with Hex over Recover on Jellicent.

Like I said when describing Galvantula, I know HP [Ice] is better, but HP [Water] is what I have.

Setting up in doubles is very difficult and can often lead to defeat, even with a Focus Sash/Sturdy. While I don't have to worry about any entry hazards, I do have to worry about moves like Rock Slide and Earthquake. If my opponent has two moves like these, which is almost guaranteed, setting up would be pointless.
    Some Pokémon that cannot be used in singles, like Archeops, can be used in doubles quite effectively. And vice versa.

As for using Terrakion... I just don't want to use one. It's too common, and I doubt I'm going to see very many teams without one. If I do use one, I'm sure it's just a matter of winning a speed tie.

I do like your suggestions, though.