• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Toxicity: A Monotype RMT

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Mono-Poison is terrible

Challenge accepted.

Someone said that while I was derping around on PO. So naturally the first thing I did was go make myself a mono-Poison team. It isn't a horrible mono in my opinion, but Poison is a tricky type to use. It's the worst offensive type in the game, super-effective to only Grass while 4 types resist it and Steel's immune, but it has its perks. Like only two weaknesses and an immunity to Toxic and T-Spikes. Anyway, here we go:

The process:

;094;

I started here, with Gengar. I know it's a good Pokemon and it has Levitate, which was a must on this team at least once.

;094; :591:

Gengar's pretty offensive, so I wanted to throw in a little defense. Amoonguss seemed solid, and I'd heard good things.

;094; :591: ;452;

Poison's weak to Psychic, so I felt I needed a Dark-type. Drapion seemed better than Skuntank for this job.

;094; :591: ;452; ;073;

Tentacruel acts as a spinner and Special wall. It's also my T-Spikes setter.

;094; :591: ;452; ;073; ;034;

Nidoking makes a great Special attacker alongside Gengar, what with Sheer Force and all.

;094; :591: ;452; ;073; ;034; :545:

I needed some Physical presence and Scolipede provides it with a whopping Base 112 Spe and reasonable Atk.

;452; ;094; :591: ;073; ;034; :545:

As a lead, Gengar was dying a lot so I brought Drapion to the front to drop T-Spikes immediately and I've been having more success

[IMG200]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNZ4RbXyFsUvR__UDDk1rN3mcecRp0gziJHlvPvk7vaM67M0BT[/IMG200]

Drapion (Ricin) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Battle Armor
Impish Nature
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- X-Scissor
- Whirlwind
- Crunch

This is a physically-defensive Drapion, since I already have SpD covered in Amoonguss and Tentacruel. Battle Armor negates Critical Hits, which is really nice. Toxic Spikes is there for the poison and Whirlwind spreads it and phazes nicely. Crunch and X-Scissor are my offensive moves of choice with X-Scissor mainly there for Grass and Dark-types. Crunch is what I prefer to attack with, for obvious reasons (namely STAB and potential Def drop).

[IMG200]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmtQ2TwO99fRC0MLxQcWJomfTcMViJ_odVtgEYr1_C1UkxDUehEQ[/IMG200]

Gengar (Monoxide) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

I think we all know what this does. SubDisable is probably Gengar's best option. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast get great coverage together, unresisted IIRC. Substitute is for scouting, blocking statuses and allowing for the use of Disable. Disable just kills one move, which can be great after a Sub blocks Crunch or something. I pretty much always use Spe boosting natures with offensive Pokes, and the EVs maximize damage and Spe. Going first is especially important here because even if my Sub is broken immediately I can Disable their super-effective move on the next turn. That's been forcing quite a few switches, so I've started using the next turn to Sub again when that happens.

[IMG200]https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdmTMw-rULSsPOQBTgLhWMG1GWHpAyOW7E6ExvFDpQCigm6e3z[/IMG200]

Amoonguss (Anthrax) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power Ice

I've opted for HP Ice over Sludge Bomb because let's be honest, Poison is awful offensively, while HP Ice handles many threats. I never know what team I'll face, but I do know HP Ice hits much more for good damage than Sludge Bomb, even with STAB. Clear Smog resets my opponent's boosts, Giga Drain combos with Black Sludge for recovery and Spore just puts 'em to sleep. Regenerator goes well with the wall theme here and helps Amoonguss's bulk considerably. Black Sludge over Leftovers to punish Trick users. It's really funny when they dump something on me and get Black Sludge shoved in their faces. And they're often already poisoned too.

Funny little story here, I once got stuck with a Poison mirror match. My opponent was down to her last Pokemon, the exact same Gengar I run. It had just killed my last check to it, Drapion. It was at 46% from Crunch, and behind a sub. I was sure I was screwed because Amoonguss was my last Poke. So I pitched it in and launched a HP Ice, which I knew would be disabled. It did manage to break the sub though, and on the next turn my opponent dropped another sub while I used Giga Drain. It did not break the sub, which I expected. I ate a Shadow Ball on the next turn, I broke that sub with Giga Drain. I ate another Shadow Ball. I don't remember the percentages at this point but Gengar dropped another sub while I used Giga Drain yet again. On the following turn, I took another Shadow Ball to the face and broke my opponent's sub with, you guessed it, Giga Drain. I would be dead by now if not for that and Sludge. The Gengar was pretty low now too though. I don't remember how low but it had no more subs available to it at this point. I knew I'd survive one more Shadow Ball but I still had no idea how much my Giga Drains were doing. I'm still not sure why I didn't run the calc for it, but I survived the final Shadow Ball with 44 HP left and KOed with Giga Drain. From that moment on I knew Amoonguss would be a favorite of mine.

[IMG200]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTA-37rDAwhs2OjU4OgnmnOU1d85JZpeBVkLFg4eSLsz7wHu8Zl-A[/IMG200]

Tentacruel (Botulinum) @ Black Sludge (I use that a lot huh...)
Trait: Liquid Ooze
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
- Protect
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Scald

With Toxic Spikes on Drapion, I don't really need them here. This is my second Specially-defensive Poke and my spinner. Protect stalls for T-Spikes damage, Rapid Spin gets rid of hazards and Scald and Ice beam are there as my main attacks. Ice Beam is mainly shot at Grass-types and stuff like Gliscor, Salamence and Landorus. Scald is my main move due to STAB and if they aren't Poisoned (meaning they either got rid of my Spikes or they've got a Steel-type), Scald has that nice Burn chance too. As usual, Black Sludge is for recovery and Trick punishment (Last time I use it, I promise. Nothing bulky from here on out). I am trying Toxic Spikes over Protect as I may replace Drapion, as mentioned.

[IMG200]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReFXEYQHLpA2VI-SOrf1oQLAx33Ax40RI111btmzrNR92HDNAzCQ[/IMG200]

Nidoking (Strychine) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Sheer Force Nidoking is something I've meant to try for a while but I've never really had a team it fit on. I needed something to fill a dedicated offense role though, and it seemed like a great choice. Earth Power gets STAB and is my main attack. The other three are coverage moves used when they can deal more damage than Earth Power (although I think that last bit is kinda obvious). I am experimenting with a Scarf on this and, as mentioned, using Nidoqueen over it to set rocks with Skuntank replacing Drapion. However, losing out on this guy's sheer offense ended up costing me a lot more than I had anticipated on the offensive end (Skuntank just couldn't cut it, it got me 1 KO the whole time I was using it). I skip out on Nidoqueen's Rocks but I gain a very fast Special attacker that has swept a few teams completely and a reliable revenge killer. Scolipede is really frail and needs a turn to set up to be truly dangerous, so it's good to have this kind of power right off the bat.

[IMG200]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBQqCbR_crgMxviyeMS-gs-_4nUXsiXWPgQCMjFjlWcsLyDyri[/IMG200]

Scolipede (Sarin) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swarm
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

This is my physical attacker. With 355 Spe and 558 (I think, I did that in my head) Atk after a Swords Dance, it hits really hard. Megahorn is STAB and my main attack. 120 Base Power, STAB and 558 Atk leads to pretty insane damage and as mentioned, Scolipede is actually pretty fast. Earthquake handles a fair amount of what resists Megahorn, bar Flying-types. They are annoying/ Rock Slide clips their wings though. EVs maximize Spe and Atk, and LO just makes me hit harder. I just noticed he's eating a Pikachu...

My biggest problem with this team is that T-Spikes is my only hazard, but I didn't see a whole lot to be done there bar sticking SR on Nidoking, which I kinda don't wanna do. If y'all think that would be good though, I'll give it a shot. Same with Spikes over Rock Slide on Scolipede but that means Flying-types wall it.

And yes, the nicknames are referencing deadly poisons.​

Last edited:

superstar

Hey loco! This is an excellent team. I spent a while trying to find problems and had a tough time of it. I was then going to say mono-psychic, but you have Drapion and Scoliopede. However, the biggest issue for you I think is mono-flying. This is pretty much for one reason, and one reason only -- you don't have Stealth Rock, as you noted. Without something to break multi-scale, you are going to be hardpressed to stop Dragonite from setting up twice and sweeping your whole team. Same for Zapdos and Gyarados. In order to fix this, I want to reccomend a Defensive Nidoqueen over Drapion. The only two poison-types that can set up Stealth Rock are Nidoqueen and King. King obviously doesn't want to sacrifice the moveslot, but Nidoqueen gives you an excellent defensive pokemon! She also can hit very hard with Sheer Force boosted special attacks.

Nidoqueen @Leftovers/Life Orb
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpDef
Bold
Trait: Sheer Force
-Stealth Rock
-Earth Power
-Flamethrower
-Ice Beam

This set is also nice because it gives you another fire move to help against mono steel, and another ground one, as well as being able to use Ice Beam to deal damage to Xatu and actually get rocks up vs. Flying.

Of course, you then lose Toxic Spikes. This can be easily fixed by running Toxic Spikes> Protect on Tentacruel. Protect is really only limited to helping out against ScarfSect anyway, since you aren't getting Rain Dish recovery.
This does make you weaker to Monopsychic, but whatever. Scoliopede and Gengar can do okay. Monoflying is much more common anyway.

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
Following above posters rate, I'd like to say 2 pokes with identical typing is no good. If you use Nidoqueen, which seems like a good idea, I recommend mixed Skuntank > Nidoking, for Psychic types, w/ Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Acid Spray/Sludge Bomb/Poison Jab, Fire Blast/Crunch/Taunt.

Great team, original too :3

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I tried MonoPoison UU before, it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. The only MonoType I had trouble with was Ghost, because Ghost is so unbalanced.

When it comes to MonoPoison, Ground teams are your mortal enemy with their bulky behemoths like Hippowdown, and devastating sweepers like Mamoswine, plus they get a type advantage on half your team, while Gengar is 2HKO'd by Ice Shard (OHKO'd by Banded Ice Shard after Stealth Rocks, I believe), and Hippowdown in particular can shrug off nearly anything you can throw at it bar Scalds from Tentacruel and Ice Beams from Nidoking, neither of whom appreciate STAB Earthquake. Nasty Plot Crobat gives MonoGrounds a headache, but isn't really useful for anything else.

I'd recommend Scarfing Nidoking and using him as a revengekiller, that's where he truly shines. I think Scarf Ice Beam can easily KO Hippo after some prior damage, so that's nice. Gengar can stop Hippo cold by Disabling Ice Fang, but Lead Gengar normally dies pretty fast. Mamoswine is the other problem, and the main reason I recommend Scarfing Nidoking. Scarf Timid Nidoking outruns all Mamoswine, including Scarf sets which are common on Ground and Ice monotypes, and can easily revenge with STAB Earth Power. (Remember that, because of Thick Fat, STAB Earth Power hits harder than non-STAB Fire Blast, and is more reliable).

Other threats include random things like Alakazam, opposing Gengar, Deoxys-D (who is pretty much guaranteed to throw Rocks and some Spikes down), and obviously MonoSteels, who really only fear Nidoking, since your only other Ground move carrier fears a Brave Bird from Skarmory.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Following above posters rate, I'd like to say 2 pokes with identical typing is no good. If you use Nidoqueen, which seems like a good idea, I recommend mixed Skuntank > Nidoking, for Psychic types, w/ Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Acid Spray/Sludge Bomb/Poison Jab, Fire Blast/Crunch/Taunt.

I actually did consider both Nidoqueen and Skuntank. The only reason I'm not using Queen is because I run King and I really didn't want that extra Water weakness. My one concern with Skuntank was that it didn't really seem to do much for me and its typing was the same as Drapion's (although with Dark/Poison fearing only Ground moves that isn't a HUGE problem except that my Ground immunity is frail as all get out). I'd only been thinking in terms of swapping one but swapping both does leave me with the same types I had before, so it's definitely something I'll try.

I'd recommend Scarfing Nidoking and using him as a revengekiller, that's where he truly shines. I think Scarf Ice Beam can easily KO Hippo after some prior damage, so that's nice. Gengar can stop Hippo cold by Disabling Ice Fang, but Lead Gengar normally dies pretty fast. Mamoswine is the other problem, and the main reason I recommend Scarfing Nidoking. Scarf Timid Nidoking outruns all Mamoswine, including Scarf sets which are common on Ground and Ice monotypes, and can easily revenge with STAB Earth Power. (Remember that, because of Thick Fat, STAB Earth Power hits harder than non-STAB Fire Blast, and is more reliable).

Hm, this might be a good idea. I'll give it a shot. Scolipede is fast but it's a set-up sweeper, not a revenge killer.

EDIT: After testing Nidoqueen and Skuntank I ran into problems offensively, namely that my team became reliant on Poison for most of its damage. Nidoqueen was doing okay, although it was pretty much a suicide Rocks setter. Skuntank was just not pulling its weight though and the team was performing better with Nidoking but no rocks. Mono-Flying is still a problem but it's manageable. It requires a lot of sacrificial switching for Nidoking to get the most mileage out of its coverage moves, mainly between Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, but it can be done.

Descriptions also updated to be more.... descriptive. They felt so incomplete before.

Last edited:

superstar

Yeah, you can't add Stuntank over Nidoking. You should really test out Nidoqueen over Drapion while not changing Nidoking. Its at least worth a shot -- the typing doesn't matter, because they serve totally different roles. Monobug always uses Scizor, Genesect, and Forretress after all.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Yeah, you can't add Stuntank over Nidoking. You should really test out Nidoqueen over Drapion while not changing Nidoking. Its at least worth a shot -- the typing doesn't matter, because they serve totally different roles. Monobug always uses Scizor, Genesect, and Forretress after all.

This is true. I'll test it when I get home from school. Thanks!

randomspot555

With several of your Pokemon being less than speedy, I went out to try to see what Poison types learn Thunder Wave. That'd be a huge boost to your team and you might not need King/Queen to be restricted by a Scarf.

.......yeah, you'd be stuck with Quilfish.

And Glare isn't much better, with only Arbok and Seviper getting it.

While Sub-Disable Gengar is great, I think Gengar is going to attract Steel types. Why not throw WoW on there over Focus Blast? Makes your mostly somewhat bulky Pokemon able to handle more (phys) ATKs, and means Gengar might leave both a lowered ATK and a Disabled attack when it switches out/faints.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Is this UU or OU? Either way this team is really good for mono Poison. I love all of them but Drapion. He's not bad, he just gives me the creeps...
Though, I don't see anyone w/ toxic. It's not a problem, just seems like I usually put that on Poisons, especially not having it on an all Poison team. Though, it's pretty much impossible to fight a Poison w/o getting poisoned, badly or regular, it just happens some how. On a lot of moves, abilities, or items. And a lot of people will get tricked with trick. Haha.

Klaus™

Banned
Mamoswine is the other problem, and the main reason I recommend Scarfing Nidoking. Scarf Timid Nidoking outruns all Mamoswine, including Scarf sets which are common on Ground and Ice monotypes, and can easily revenge with STAB Earth Power. (Remember that, because of Thick Fat, STAB Earth Power hits harder than non-STAB Fire Blast, and is more reliable).

and how does scarf outspeed a +1 priority ice shard again? especially banded...

Is this UU or OU?
gengar=ou...

i think SD toxicroak can be used over scolipede, as it performs the same job, but with a +2 sucker punch, koes psychic types much better.

i think Nidoqueen>nidoking would be better, especially a much more SpD oriented spread, with stealth rock. stealth rock kills mono-fire, mono-bug, mono-flying, etc. its also just beneficial.

thats it, for my limited mono-type knowledge. gl :)

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
While Sub-Disable Gengar is great, I think Gengar is going to attract Steel types. Why not throw WoW on there over Focus Blast? Makes your mostly somewhat bulky Pokemon able to handle more (phys) ATKs, and means Gengar might leave both a lowered ATK and a Disabled attack when it switches out/faints.

Yeah, Speed has been an issue. Scolipede is fast but that's about it. ScarfKing too, but without the Scarf... Nah. WoW on Gengar seems cool, I'll try that too, although I'm a tad hesitant seeing as most of the time, bar Poison and Steel teams, they get T-Spikes shoved in their faces.

Is this UU or OU? Either way this team is really good for mono Poison. I love all of them but Drapion. He's not bad, he just gives me the creeps...
Though, I don't see anyone w/ toxic. It's not a problem, just seems like I usually put that on Poisons, especially not having it on an all Poison team. Though, it's pretty much impossible to fight a Poison w/o getting poisoned, badly or regular, it just happens some how. On a lot of moves, abilities, or items. And a lot of people will get tricked with trick. Haha.

Tentacruel and Gengar restrict me to OU. No Toxic is because I pretty much always get T-Spikes up, so it's sorta pointless seeing as they get poisoned just by switching in. Spinners can remedy that but most spinners can't handle Amoonguss or Nidoking. They either get walled out or just flat-out destroyed. And yeah, it is hilarious getting Tricked haha, especially when Gengar gets a Scarf =D

i think SD toxicroak can be used over scolipede, as it performs the same job, but with a +2 sucker punch, koes psychic types much better.

*Insert facepalm moment of epic proportions here* I completely forgot about Toxicroack. The priority might be really helpful too, but the frality is sort of a concern. Maybe a SubSD set?

Last edited:

Klaus™

Banned
i dont personally like subSD on croak. for one, croak tends to force a lot of switches, at least from my experience, it also leaves out important coverage, forcing it to rely on drain punch/cross chop, as sucker punch is set-up bait if used wrong. ice punch is very beneficial in scoring koes.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
i dont personally like subSD on croak. for one, croak tends to force a lot of switches, at least from my experience, it also leaves out important coverage, forcing it to rely on drain punch/cross chop, as sucker punch is set-up bait if used wrong. ice punch is very beneficial in scoring koes.

SP/FP Toxicroak is fun. If they attack, they eat boosted Sucker Punch, if they don't attack, they eat boosted Focus Punch.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
I'll try a couple different Sub builds after school and post any changes I make then.

EDIT: Well, the Toxicroak worked pretty well but I'm getting ready to switch to a new project =D That team'll make it here too... Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited: