• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tracy Morgan: Does He Really Need to Apologize

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobii

Third Wheel in J#+IB
As most of us know, comedian Tracy Morgan recently said if his son told him he was gay, he would stab him. While I do think that this is an ignorant statement to make, does he really need to go on an apology tour and do all the other stuff he is doing? Really, all he and any celberity that says something stupid needs to do is apologize to anybody that his actions effected that he/she personally knew.

The point I am trying to make is. If you have some homophobic friends, do you think it is neccesarry for them to go apologize to every gay in America? Why do you think a celebrity should?

What do you guys think?

One rule!

Make sure that this does not turn out to be a total flame war like the "Is Gayness Genitic?" thread did.

Last edited:

Antithesis

I don't think his routine was all that funny, which is the biggest offense, but at the same time I don't think he's homophobic or meant for it to be legitimately hurtful. In comedy, anything goes as long as it's funny.

Kingsley

do my dance
I really think he should apologize. What he said was offensive and harsh, and I hope he wouldn't actually stab his kid.

He can apoligise if he wants, no one should force him, that infringes on freedom of speech. Plently of people mock religion but they get away with it. It was a joke and nothing more than a joke. Build a bridge and get over it.

darkcharizard58

There really is no need to apologize. People make jokes like that all the time (maybe not quite as harsh). Comedians also offend alot of religions and races but they never apologize for that.

Doredia

Blooming Flower
I'm not entirely sure about this, maybe I'm just used to this kind of stuff, but he doesn't really to excuse for it. Comedians in germany do stuff like that all the time, but they mostly use stereotypes for their shows, but not only on gays, they pretty much take stereotypes of everything and throw it into their comedy... Comedy is about crossing borders these days, so I can see where he was going. If he found it offending himself, it would be a nice gesture of him to apoligize but as a comedian there's no actual need. They're supposed to be politcally incorrect in their business :p

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
So this was said during one of his stand-up comedies? Hey, Bill Cosby did a stand-up about being ordered by his wife to "kill the boy", his son (yeah yeah, I'm pushing it, but this reminds me of this, just bear with me). He didn't go on an apology tour about talking about killing his son, because it was a joke. Everyone knew it, and all the parents laughed with him.

Now, I'm not for gay rights, but I don't hate gays, because they're still people (though I might be a little homophobe, I don't dwell on it too much to decide if I am or not). Even if it was said as a joke, wanting to stab his son for being gay is toeing the line there. These offended people may not realize that he just made a statement about how he would feel if his son turned out to be gay. Doesn't mean he will kill his child just because of that, he loves him too much. That's his fatherly/male instincts that makes him proud to have a son: his boy gets to carry on the family name and genes. It's natural that a father wants his son, especially if he only has one son, to keep the name going strong.

To go on an apology tour is ridiculous, it doesn't allow the people to sizzle down and let it slide out of mind. It just keeps it fresh in their heads and it may turn away fans. Tom Hanks did the exact same thing apologizing to his fans who weren't for gay rights when he announced his political statement (after he got complaints about it). It still turned fans away. Tracy Morgan is only hurting himself further by not letting it go, and thus make the silent decision not to mention it again.

People have the right to think what they want, it's what makes us individuals. If he's doing this on his free-will, fine, but if he's being forced to apologize for what he said, it makes it painfully obvious people are taking it too far. Why do people have to take these things seriously? If he's worried about his boy, let him, don't hurt him any further with this! If anything, the offended people should be apologizing for letting themselves get offended, not Tracy.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
According to Wikipedia, Tracy Morgan hasn't had a very good year. This isn't even his most recent controversy. His recent controversy was over saying, "Don't mess with women who have retarded kids."

I don't think apologizing will help, really. I don't know how stabbing your child can possibly fit into a comedy routine, and I can't imagine how going on an apology tour will make things better.

Celebrities are different than a homophobic friend; they say their remark to the world, logically if they want to apologize they have to go and apologize to the world. A homophobic friend does not have the same scope of audience.

KuroiMawile

He can apoligise if he wants, no one should force him, that infringes on freedom of speech. Plently of people mock religion but they get away with it. It was a joke and nothing more than a joke. Build a bridge and get over it.

I think it's great he is apologizing, but I think a statement would have been better. What joke comes from stabbing your son if he's homosexual?

(Now, if it was Kevin Hart, it'd be funny...)

LadyGaga

It depends, if the routine was funny then no.
However it seemed as though it was no longer a comedy routine and became and all out flaming and bashing session, so in that case, yes an apologize should have been given.

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
Should he apologize? Kinda hard to say.

On the one hand, he made a remark about how he would turn to violence against a gay person, no less a family member. That's a pretty disturbing comment that, if the wrong person heard, could create a nasty atmosphere and I'm sure no doubt struck a tender cord to several gay people or people who are close to gay people.

On the other hand, he does have the right to say what he wants and apologize for what he wants.

I don't know. Personally, I thought the most disturbing part was the fact that he said he would stab his son. Nevermind the gay aspect, the fact that I know people who have lived with abusive parents, that part upset me, and if anything, he should least apologize for that remark. There's a difference between being politically incorrect and verbally homicidal.

People make jokes like that all the time

I don't really think you can call a comment on killing your son a joke... maybe that's just my humor, though.

You do raise a good point, though. Why is it that comedians can poke fun at Christians and Republicans and Sarah Palin? Oh, yeah, that's right - because those comedians don't say they'll stab these people.

Tracy Morgan, on the other hand... yeah, saying you're going to stab your child if they were gay really isn't something to LOL about.

how many comedians offend people every night

All of them. How many comedians say they'll stab their kids and say it was a joke?

Last edited:

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever

I want to spend the last 7 minutes of my life watching that video.

He brings up a good point. Apologizing does nothing but satisfy the offended party. Tracy Morgan can apologize to God if he wants to, but that doesn't mean he doesn't stand by what he said. Apologizing, especially when forced, doesn't actually change anything - in fact, it makes the offending party even more bitter.

Plus, like he said, why do we care about these apologies? It doesn't really affect us. Personally, I'm more concerned with the fact that we're hitting triple digit temperatures with crappy rainfall instead of Anthony Weiner tweeting pictures of his dick to some woman. I'm more pissed off that it costs me almost fifty dollars to fill up a 10 gallon gas tank instead of the fact that the Terminator had a child with some mistress. Hot weather and high gas prices affects me a million times more than what Weiner took pictures of, who Schwarznegger was banging, or what Morgan said in Nashville.

God, his anger is contagious!

jacobii

Third Wheel in J#+IB
I want to spend the last 7 minutes of my life watching that video.

He brings up a good point. Apologizing does nothing but satisfy the offended party. Tracy Morgan can apologize to God if he wants to, but that doesn't mean he doesn't stand by what he said. Apologizing, especially when forced, doesn't actually change anything - in fact, it makes the offending party even more bitter.

Plus, like he said, why do we care about these apologies? It doesn't really affect us. Personally, I'm more concerned with the fact that we're hitting triple digit temperatures with crappy rainfall instead of Anthony Weiner tweeting pictures of his dick to some woman. I'm more pissed off that it costs me almost fifty dollars to fill up a 10 gallon gas tank instead of the fact that the Terminator had a child with some mistress. Hot weather and high gas prices affects me a million times more than what Weiner took pictures of, who Schwarznegger was banging, or what Morgan said in Nashville.

God, his anger is contagious!

Yeah, TheAmazingAtheist is known for his anger. However if you are a homosexual do you say to yourself
1.) How dare he say that! He is suppose to be a professional!
or
2.) Eh, I've heard worse threats.

asterat

Banned
Of course he has to apologize. He can't say that it's like telling all gays they are lower than everyone else

Status
Not open for further replies.