• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Trade Shop Rule Confusion?

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Since AR cloning ban is now enforced, what will happen to the Event trading thread since the ribboned events require an AR as the ribbon blocks them from the GTS for possibly using the GTS cloning glitch?

The GTS isn't the only way to clone. People will just have to learn another way like I did.

What people here don't seem to understand is that cloning isn't banned, just cloning with an AR/Pokesav/other external device. I've personally been able to clone Pokemon in 5th gen with just using 2 DSs and 2 Pokemon games. While it's obviously harder to do, it can still be done. And you can clone any Pokemon, with or without a Classic Ribbon.

Wait, what?

The next Pokemon games are extremely likely to be on 3DS. And the 3DS blocks the use of AR. The only way someone would be able to get around that would be to hack CFW only their 3DS. And if they did that then they wouldn't be allowed online with it.

Guys, I appreciate your position but you need to realise that although cloning can be seen as a means to an end, it's using a device that is not supported by Nintendo or the Pokémon Company. It is, by definition, cheating.

I often see people turned off to the online Pokémon communities due to hacks. They don't want to battle due to them. They don't want to trade due to them. I am trying to rectify this.

With Generation VI, there will be no cheat devices or external manipulation. Will you complain about GameFreak cutting these?

What I am trying to do is create a fair community for everyone. That's all. I can understand that you may feel put out as it's an inconvenience, but it's for the greater good.

The Pokémon battling and trade communities are fractured due to hacks...it's something that needs to be fixed

There are numerous ways that allow you to clone in Generation Five that don't require an AR or any sort of external device like that, so regardless of whether the 3DS blocks an AR or not, there will still be clones, and there will still be hacks in Generation Six. Additionally, there isn't anyway to distinguish a clone from the original, and furthermore, it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between a legitimate Pokemon and one that was hacked well. Preventing people from using an AR to clone isn't going to stop people from trading hacks, or clones, since you seem to be of the opinion clones are hacked.

Generation VI will be on the 3DS, guaranteed. The 3DS has yet to be hacked and should it ever be hacked, it'll be sorted through firmware updates which will be required to go online

But next-gen speculation is banned...?

Anyway, I think this thread has served it's purpose. No-AR has now been reinforced and thus, no more cloning from external cheating devices.

I wish everyone a safe, happy and enjoyable trading experience now that this has been resolved.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin

Anyway, I think this thread has served it's purpose. No-AR has now been reinforced and thus, no more cloning from external cheating devices.

I wish everyone a safe, happy and enjoyable trading experience now that this has been resolved.

This isn't speculation. It's a fact of hardware

Shinyunbreon

i leave for a few months and this is what greets me

why start enforcing it now ??

thanks for destroying event trading for most people we had pokecheck to contend with now this

well its of to neoseeker,you just messed up the best part of your site imo

Myrrh

You do realize that now that this has been resolved, that you've made it so that some members cannot have such an experience here at all? I know that this actually was against the rules already and that it is too bad for those people, but that statement seems rather lame given all that has happened here. Sorry.

munchlaxguy

The Rolling Thunder
Its amazing how butthurt you all are for this it's so funny seriously stop Serebii is smart to have enforced this so you guys need to stop acting like this. ._.

Ninjames

NOT JACK WILSHIRE
You do realize that now that this has been resolved, that you've made it so that some members cannot have such an experience here at all? I know that this actually was against the rules already and that it is too bad for those people, but that statement seems rather lame given all that has happened here. Sorry.

That's what I thought as well. People were capable of having a happy trading experience long before cloning was abolished here.

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
i leave for a few months and this is what greets me

why start enforcing it now ??

thanks for destroying event trading for most people we had pokecheck to contend with now this

well its of to neoseeker,you just messed up the best part of your site imo

It has been this case since the get-go. We've always had a zero tolerance policy on cheating

Ninjames

NOT JACK WILSHIRE
It has been this case since the get-go. We've always had a zero tolerance policy on cheating

I think he meant why is it only being enforced now (which is a question that's been asked multiple times in this thread). It might have been answered already, I don't actually remember.

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
I think he meant why is it only being enforced now (which is a question that's been asked multiple times in this thread). It might have been answered already, I don't actually remember.

It should have been all along, the mods just got lax I guess

That's what I thought as well. People were capable of having a happy trading experience long before cloning was abolished here.

So it's my fault that cloning was abolished? It was Serebii Joe and the other moderator's doing that it was enforced.

I was only trying to add a bit of politeness while attempting to dismiss this thread. Since that didn't work, I'll just go out and say it: I think it'd be best if this thread is locked.

Also, don't forget that you're allowed to clone with in-game glitches, just don't use an external, third party device.

Myrrh

So it's my fault that cloning was abolished? It was Serebii Joe and the other moderator's doing that it was enforced.

I was only trying to add a bit of politeness while attempting to dismiss this thread. Since that didn't work, I'll just go out and say it: I think it'd be best if this thread is locked.

Also, don't forget that you're allowed to clone with in-game glitches, just don't use an external, third party device.

No, what I meant was that your well wishing seemed rather lame given all that has happened here. Like I said in what you quoted, I do realize that things should have been as they are now going to be. I accept what has happened here even though I am upset with it. Some have accused us of being butthurt about this, I think they don't understand that we are simply upset by this or why. Again, too bad for us, but some members aren't being so kind about it (on either side). Not that I expect sympathy or anything, but yeah.

Yes, I know. I am going to learn how to do the GTS thing in 4th gen so I can continue to do shop trades in that gen. But I can no longer do 5th gen, like some members here who decided to leave.

I don't dislike you or anything, I just dislike what happened.

That's perfectly fine. I too am sorry for people who are upset with it. I kind of knew that people would disapprove of the site's zero-tolerance policy towards cheating devices, but the rules are the rules, as we all know.

And I must admit, I was the one who brought up the word "butthurt". Butthurt just means someone who is too immature to deal with the change. Some are more sensible enough to accept it, despite how they are upset by it. Just like you said.

dewey911p

primus inter pares

That's perfectly fine. I too am sorry for people who are upset with it. I kind of knew that people would disapprove of the site's zero-tolerance policy towards cheating devices, but the rules are the rules, as we all know.

And I must admit, I was the one who brought up the word "butthurt". Butthurt just means someone who is too immature to deal with the change. Some are more sensible enough to accept it, despite how they are upset by it. Just like you said.

For someone complaining about others breaking the rules, what's with all the mini-modding?

Guys, I appreciate your position but you need to realise that although cloning can be seen as a means to an end, it's using a device that is not supported by Nintendo or the Pokémon Company. It is, by definition, cheating.

I often see people turned off to the online Pokémon communities due to hacks. They don't want to battle due to them. They don't want to trade due to them. I am trying to rectify this.

With Generation VI, there will be no cheat devices or external manipulation. Will you complain about GameFreak cutting these?

What I am trying to do is create a fair community for everyone. That's all. I can understand that you may feel put out as it's an inconvenience, but it's for the greater good.

The Pokémon battling and trade communities are fractured due to hacks...it's something that needs to be fixed

I understand what you are saying and I respect that, we all do, but the issue is bigger than this. Regardless of where you stand on this issue, pro-cloning or anti-cloning, The us of ARs or the flat ban of them, everyone can agree that hacks are something no one wants here or anywhere. I know that this is an attempt to make the community better and keep everything fair, but I can't help but feel like this is going to make things worse.

Before people could clone via AR with little effort and so trading was a quick and easy task. People could collect events or build a competitive team by trading with others, and due to the ease and popularity of cloning, people wouldn't have to go far or look for very long before they found someone willing to help out. With the ban on AR cloning, which is nothing more than a side effect of a flat ban on AR, it will be more difficult for people to to find the pokemon they want. I can't help but feel this squeeze will only promote hacking. Just ask around the event trading community, the pokemon that are most often hacked are the older ones, the ones that are hard or even impossible to find. No one is going to bother hacking a PC Snivy and try and trade it around, those are easy to get. No, people are going to hack Wish Chansey GCEA events, or other gen 3 events. The reason people hack these is because they ae hard to get and people will trade highly for them. Once an event is released and mass cloned, it losses all value in the event community and people don't want it as much any more, like Shiny Jirachis.

In the same way, if cloning were allowed to go on then the community would be flooded with all the pokemon people want, they will be easy to get and people will be able to get them with little to no problem. In this way, cloning would deter hacking because there would be no need to hack if people can readily get the pokemon they want and others wouldn't want the hacks because it would be far to easy to get legit versions.

Well, that is the way I see things anyway.

Everyone here can agree that no one wants hack in the community. Other sites like Pokecheck have even contributed to weeding out hacks among the trading community by providing an easy to use online Legality Analysis where people can upload their pokemon to see if they are hacked. It has been a great help to many people in spotting hacks and is just another thing the online community has done in an attempt to stop hackers from taking advantage of fair players. Everyone can understand the ban on AR due to the potential of it being a hacking device, but true be told the AR is the crappiest hacking tool for 5th gen there is. It is often very easy to spot any pokemon that was generated by some form of AR code.

I know this is just speculation on my part, but I fear that the ban on AR cloning might have the opposite effect of what is intended.

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!

hotcoldyay

i herd u liek me :P
Excuse me for butting in, as I have almost nothing to do with this, but this must be said. Ive been reading about this controversy for a bit. For me, as a person who loves trading and battling and Pokemon since I was little, it hurts a bit. AR cloning is very useful, albeit risky. It really helps those who want to trade and keep originals and such. Losing your shiny or flawless forever in exchange for another really sucks. Plus business in the trades MAY be ruined due to this. It kinda takes a load off your back when you know your hard work can be saved through an extra clone of your pokemon. While we could all just learn to rng to compensate for this, this isnt the case for events. But this is Joe's site, so he has the right to do and say what he wants, and people have the choice to either comply or scram. I get it.

I have one final proposition. Since we, the users of the site, have a right to be here as much as Joe, even though he owns it, i feel this should be a democracy, not a monarchy. Joe can declare, but we can possibly argue what we believe. I think that a poll should be set at the front of the site, asking whther or not this is believed cheating and if it should be allowed. This would help give everyone a better view on the situation. Everyone keeps assuming a certain belief that people will hate or like this, based on who believes what. Why dont we get the opinions from the users here themselves? With this persepctive, I think we can See the lights from both windows, and then Joe can make the final say. We should learn how it affects everyone, not just people here representing the community. I know its cheating in the eyes of the rules and such, but whats the point in being forced to do something that makes life harder and makes you unhappier? (please dont make an analogy to that. I know theres plenty of stuff to argue on that statement.) if enough people believe it should be allowed, maybe some compromise sould be made, like making threads specifically for this, but warning others ofthe danger. Its only fair that EVERYONE gwts a fair representation.

Also, Green Blockhead, quit mini modding, please. I know your just defending what you reported and thats the right thing to do, but please stop being a clumpnugget. From what youve responded, youre sounding like a huge jerk (and to be fair to the traders who flamed, there is a reason for theyre acting up. No need to toast them for their dramatic moments). No offense and im sorry for saying that.

Btw, how does cloning between two ds work? Sorry for going off topic, just never knew that could happen. And maybe there will be a new type of AR compatible with the 3DS. Who knows... You know what happens when you assume and conclude too early :p

Sorry if I offended anyone, I was just trying to give my opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

Dangertrout

Well, if you read through the thread, then you've seen both sides arguing. Then you see Joe making a decision. There's also likely a discussion thread just between the mods on this topic. So, it's not like there's a tyrant imposing his will on everyone. Also, some of us are pretty happy with the change. I like the idea of events being worth something again.

"but clones are exact copies!"
Fair enough, but think of it this way: Let's say pokemon = trading cards and cloning = photocopying a card.
Everyone is running around trading their photocopies for other photocopies. Everyone's happy because everyone has everything and no one loses anything.
Then Mike walks in with packs of cards he bought at a special event that was hard to get to. He has two of the same card among his packs, but he doesn't need the second one. As such, he wants to trade it for another card which is from an equally rare event. No one wants to give up their cards, so they offer him photocopies.
Now, would you want to trade your actual card that holds value, in that it is rare because you only have two, for a photocopy? Nope, you would just walk away. Additionally, you would be sad that you can't trade with anyone because you can't get an equal trade.

That's how I feel every time I walk into the trade forum. I have cool non-RNG abused flawless pokemon that I will never trade because I don't want a clone that you did nothing but use an AR to get.