• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Traditions to playing the game.

Do you have any traditions?

• no

Votes: 5 9.1%

Votes: 8 14.5%

• more than 4

Votes: 26 47.3%

• Total voters

Ditto B1tch

No, I play it always on a different way. So should always playing on a different way to be considered tradition?

psychomaniac

1. Never ditch my starter
2. Psychic type pkmn is obligatory in my team (psychic is my fav type)
3. If eevee is available before E4 in a game, it has to be in my team, eeveelutions <3
4. I never use legendaries

Keysmash

buys meat
1) Never, ever go into tall grass willingly unless I'm trying to complete my Pokedex in the post-game
2) If I want experience, battle against Trainers, even if it means having to wait an entire day for the next available grinding time
3) Never run away from battles
4) Buy exactly 3 status healing items as soon as they're available
5) Use the highest-level Pokemon, even if it means having to leave behind one I liked
6) Always nicknaming Pokemon
7) Checking every single trash can. Every single one.
8) Talking to every NPC I see

Well, there are more, but it'll take a while. :p

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I have some. Let me see if I can remember them all. Hmm.
1: When it comes to the player, unless I like one's design more then the other I flip a coin to see if I play as male or female. I have no problem playing as the girl, especially if she looks better then the guy.
2: I usually like to have as much generation Pokemon on my team as possible. By that I mean, if I am playing a Gen 4 game then most of my team will be Sinnoh Pokemon. If I play a Gen 3 game then Hoenn Pokemon will dominate my team, and so on. I sometimes mix it up because I have too, but it's primarily regional Pokemon of that region on my team.
3: I use to name my rival a opposite name as mine, but we can't name rivals anymore :(
4: I try to catch all the Pokemon on a route when I first enter it. Even if it takes forever.
5: I like to keep my Pokemon at the same level. So level grinding is normal for me. XY made it much easier and less time consuming though.

Those are my main traditions. I have some more but these are my main ones.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
pokemon is a tradition every year ohhhhh yeahhhh

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
I always nickname every Pokémon on my team.
I always check every garbage bin. Stupid new games and their empty bins... makes me sad.=(
I always watch the full credits the first time I beat the game.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
I cindof can't eal with the dissapointment of not finding anything so I made a point of never checking.

Glaceon2000

1) When there's two versions of a game (X and Y, Black and White etc.) I always buy them both, and use one for my main game and one to restart.
2) I name my main game's trainer my real name, and my restart game's trainer Effie or Monica.
3) When catching a pokemon, I tap B. I thought it would help as a kid, it's just habit now xD.
4) I use the master ball on the cover legend. (The only time I didn't was on Y, because it's so easy to catch)
5) I always keep the team I beat the game with, I love them too much to let them go.

Grei

not the color
I always use my Starter the entire game.
I always (basically) plan my team beforehand.
I always have a Fly-er in my team plan.
I always nickname my Pokemon, and I typically use a theme (BW was colors, Y was shortening of the species name, etc.).
I almost never use a Legendary on my team. The only times I used a Legendary were Zekrom in White (because I loved him so much) and Giratina in HG via the Arceus Event.
I almost always have a Grass-type on my team, though that's usually because it's my Starter.

Also, I use my favorites often, even when I've used them before. I've raised three or so different Gliscors, four Torterras, two or three Togekiss', etc.

KzBreakdown

Tamer of Gyarados
my friend and i usually get opposite version, and with our other friend we have a starter triad, where the first friend get grass, second gets fire, and I get water. additionally, if we can, we name our rivals after each other

I also tend to speed through the story (a week is slow for me, and still twice as fast as the others), while they take is slow

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
- Pretty much, having a team in mind before hand
- Holding dpad down as well as B button when catching a pokemon (Its ingrained in me dammit)
- Must have all my Pokemon in my team at the same level. No one level more or less than the others.
- Using pokemon only from that gen on my first playthough in my team. Kinda difficult in XY since I wanted to try out megastones :c
- Picking the grass starter (exceptions were made in HG/SS and XY were I chose Cyndaquil and Fennekin respectively).

Those are the ones at the top of my head.

poix_the_yak

I stay noided
I train a bunch of pokemon for competitive after I beat the game and then I lose a bunch and don't play the game again for months.

Pink Harzard

So majestic
-Checking bins.
-Have one flyer with me and a HM slave (I preffer one with Pickup).
-Have one game as main and the other for Nuzlockes end just seeing the story again.
-Being a girl in the main game (my own gender) and sometimes the male in the other one.
-Using my favorites, I will never be a competitive battler this way but I don't care :p

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I've got a few

-I always get both versions of the game and any follow ups.
-I always pick the fire starter in my main game. I pick the ones I haven't used in the others.
-I never ditch my starter.
-I always have a flyer on my team.
-I always use Pokémon I like. The only time I don't is when I'm going for a theme.
-I never nickname my Pokémon.

Silvijo

~ At least one grass type.
~ Picking my gender in the first gameplay.(That would be male, by the way)
~ Getting a team of six Pokemon.
~ Beat all NPC's till the Elite 4.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
1. My first playthrough of a new generation always has me picking the Water Starter. Its been that way since Red.
2. Unless I am doing a challenge that prevents me from doing so, I always use my starter.
3. For the past few years, I've done three normal playthroughs of each new generation so I can use each of the starters before switching to Nuzlocke variants. Granted, the only new generation that has come out since I started doing Nuzlockes is the current one, but the point still stands.
4. Except for a few isolated cases or during Wonderlocke challenges in X and Y, I only use Pokemon that have my OT/ID/SID for whatever reason.
5. I try to keep my entire team at the same level, though it is common for one to be one level higher due to say a Gym battle.
6. I always play as the girl character in Crystal because for some reason it feels weird not doing that. That isn't the case in any other generation, where the opposite is true actually (I prefer being the guy since, well, I am one)

Abysmal Zero

Burninating
Hmmmm...Just 2 set in stone ones:

1. I always pick the fire starter on a first run of a new gen. Even if I don't like it, I do it anyways.
2. My in game team for the elite 4 is always comprised only of pokemon introduced that gen.
RBY: Charizard, Vaporeon, Raichu...etc.
GSC: Typhlosion, Furret, Amparos, etc.
RSE: Blaziken, Swellow, Linoone...etc.
And so on and so forth.

Loosely, I have a third. I try to name all my Pokemon after delicious food. Because reasons. My Talonflame is named Caprese and my Goodra is Munster. Because both are delicious. And now I'm hungry.

Sprinter1988

I usually buy both versions of a game so as to build different teams. I also don't mind playing as either character.
For example in Y I played as Calem and in X I play as Serena.

The weird thing is that sometimes I get it into my head that the male character should have certain pokemon and the girl should have others. For example, if ever I play as Leaf, Lyra or Serena, they can have Nidoqueen, but not Nidoking, whereas Red, Ethan and Calem can have Nidoking but not Nidoqueen.

Since FireRed/LeafGreen came out, whichever game I get first I keep the saved game on it forever. Ten years later, LeafGreen still contains the saved game that was on it first with most of the pokemon above level 80 (grinding only) and also contains examples of nearly every pokemon available in generation 3, boxed in correct Pokedex order (one Bulbasaur, one Ivysaur, one Venusaur, one Charmander etc.)

One thing that I've tried to do before but never followed through on it until X&Y is to develop many teams. To me these teams represent each player character, rival and main series game. For example I have Charizard, Jolteon, Nidoking, Gengar, Lapras and Snorlax on one team which I unofficially call "Red's Team" then there's Venusaur, Ninetales, Clefable, Nidoqueen, Vaporeon and Dragonite as "Leaf's Team", Blastoise, Arcanine, Alakazam, Rhyperior, Machamp and Fearow as "Blue's Team" and Raichu, Starmie, Pidgeot, Tauros, Vileplume and Flareon as "Yellow's Team"
And so on for Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Black, White, Grey (instead of Black2/White2), X, Y and "Z"

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
awesome that makes a lot of sense