• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Trainer/Rival Name Traditions

Meowth City

Staff member
I have been wondering this for a while, so I thought I would create this thread to see what people think. I want to know if there is a pattern when it comes to naming your trainers and rivals in Pokemon games.

Do you...
  • Use your real name
  • Use the official name (i.e. Red, Gold, Ethan, Hilbert, etc.)
  • Name them after someone you know (maybe like)
  • or something else...

For rival names, do you...
  • Use immature names like douchebag xD
  • Name them after someone you know (might hate)
  • Use the official name (i.e. Blue, Silver, Lyra, Hilda, etc.)
  • or something else...
For example, here are mine:
[trainer name ------- rival name]
Yellow: Ash --------------- Gary
Silver: Sparky ------------- Rin
Diamond: Pucci (Girl) ------ Devon
SoulSilver: Bellini (Girl) ----- Rouge
Black: Handel (Boy)

DasBoot

For my rival, I just name him a normal or dumb name.
As for me, when I name my character, I just name him after my real name. But when I choose a girl, I name it the female version of my real name. (Which you'll probably never know.

GoldNinja

Breeder
I name the main character as myself and my rival will be someone I've hated or disliked x) I've never used any ridiculous names, I haven't even thought of that :0

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I used to name my player some variation of my own name or middle name. Now I just use my Internet name (Hejiru)

My rival I usually just give whatever the canon name is.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
I call myself my real name. The rivals, however, I name according to personality:

Pearl: Tommy
FireRed: Harvey (to be embarassing)
SoulSilver: Marco

Kalosian

So long
The first time I played Blue, I had no idea what to name my player and the rival, so they just got random names. After that, I used my real name for the first playthroughs in Silver and Crystal, but got tired of that, the main reason being that I do not like my real name. In third generation, I used the same name for three of the five games, which led to much confusion. I did not do the same in fourth generation, went with a different name for the player in every game, the same goes for the rival. As for the names, I just use what is on my mind at the moment unless I have planned the name before I start the game, this goes for both the player character and the rival.

Skull-Kid

For myself, I either use my real name or the name of the game e.g. my character would be called Ruby in Pokemon Ruby.
For my rival, I name him/her stupid names like "Cheese" or his/her official name.

the rival is always dumba**, because it just barely fits in the word box, and:

Dumba**: come on kyler, if you're late I'm fining you 1 million dollars! Whoops! forgot my bag!

Meowth City

Staff member
The first time I played Blue, I had no idea what to name my player and the rival, so they just got random names. After that, I used my real name for the first playthroughs in Silver and Crystal, but got tired of that, the main reason being that I do not like my real name. In third generation, I used the same name for three of the five games, which led to much confusion. I did not do the same in fourth generation, went with a different name for the player in every game, the same goes for the rival. As for the names, I just use what is on my mind at the moment unless I have planned the name before I start the game, this goes for both the player character and the rival.
You have just describe me perfectly, haha.

Bonus points to anyone who can guess the meanings behind my names (READ THE FIRST POST) if you can, haha!!

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
I used to change my trainer name every time, just for fun ( I went from Stella to Nessie....). Only once, in ruby, I used May, the actual trainer name.
Now I use either my internet nickname or Ludo, which is an abbreviation of my actual name.

The rival........I always used either the actual one or one of the alternative ones shown in the name selection, if I like them more.

Danny1221

Always my own name and for the original 3 games R/B/Y or the remakes the rival is called Gary as that is who the sprite is off.

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
Always my own name.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Always my own name and for the original 3 games R/B/Y or the remakes the rival is called Gary as that is who the sprite is off.

Er, Gary is based off the sprite. Red and Green came out before the anime.

My main character is always called Dan, my rival is always named after someone I know, not necessarily someone I dislike. In my current game, the rival in Heart Gold is called 'Parker' after my work mate's surname.

PKMN Trainer Rex

~'3'~ Swalot face
For me its usually my name, but if I feel like it I'll choose a different name.

For my rival it's just a regular name, nothing dumb or mean just a regular name.

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
I always name my character my name and my rival Cj.

aclover

VICTORiOUS
Trainer: my name (or aclover if i'm doing a short pokédex filler.)
Rivals: either my friend's name or their official Names In HG I called him Silver --it's Tradition!

UltimatePokemonExpert

Experienced Trainer
I always give my character my real name, Andres. The rival is usually named after a friend of mine. Since I can't name the rival in this game, I couldn't call them Evan.