• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Trainers Not Interesting Enough?

AzureWatcher

Glacier Hugger
Pokémon is attractive to little kids around the age of 9-11. ( I think. ) So, taking their lack of gaming experience overall, they have little sense of strategy. Some trainers might be harder than others, just depends on where and how they're placed and the pokemon they have. This is excluding those little kids who troll Halo 3 on X-Box live. *Scowls*

LanceDisciple7787

Gardevior King
I agree there should be an option saying Easy Medium or hard i have noticed kids seem to be able to cope with harder difficulties my stepbrother however, cannot. kids skills are just... Shake my head.

SudowoodoGuy

Well sometimes the easy AI is a good thing. Sometimes after I'm done playing 360 and stuff like that, I just wanna relax so I play pokemon cause I know it's pretty calming and easy. But other times when I really want a challenge on it, it can get pretty frustrating finding anyone who can pose any threat.
Quick solution- Hit up GTS.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I agree there should be an option saying Easy Medium or hard i have noticed kids seem to be able to cope with harder difficulties my stepbrother however, cannot. kids skills are just... Shake my head.

There is.

It's called:

Should I enter the Battle Frontier or not?

Dawn_Hero

Written Insanity~
Teams in the hand-helds are pretty believable, actually, although a lot more spicing up would be nice. I think that if Pokémon was a real thing or whatever, some people would stick to a certain species, a good amount would stick to a certain type, etc. etc. etc. However, I think the game really SHOULD add a lot more variety to most teams. Make things more levelled out, challenging, and all the other fun stuff.

MasterCharizard15

Manly Eybrows!
A difficulty level has a couple of main factors in Pokemon, specifically the Level of the Pokemon and the A.I controlling it. It's true that playing the game with different Pokemon each time will have different results. But the A.I is so mediocre that it will hardly have any effect. For example in D/P/PT when I was battling the Champion I was close to losing. Had one Pokemon left with low HP. One hit could have knocked me out, instead the A.I decides to use a Stat Boosting move which cost her the match.
Indeed.
Even with 6 different types...they would still fail.
Try EV trainning before the Champion.
-__-

Surfer_Dude

Aspiring Guitarist
Yes, colloseum had pretty balanced teams. Well, in emerald there are some more trainers that MIGHT have a balanced team. Take it the breeders on the same route that the day care is. But you are right that it is too easy :S

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
One alternate way to have trainers more interesting, would be to have some use nicknames, and use them for subtle easter eggs or references.

But they could at least pull a coloseum and give them the odd egg move or tm move. The only place it happens on normal trainers is the battle frontier, and sometimes they cheat.

W.T.

Donw with CIPHET!
One alternate way to have trainers more interesting, would be to have some use nicknames, and use them for subtle easter eggs or references.

But they could at least pull a coloseum and give them the odd egg move or tm move. The only place it happens on normal trainers is the battle frontier, and sometimes they cheat.

All of these ideas have been added to Pokémon Quartz, a fan game I'm writing that is (of course) strongly influenced by Colo, XD and the TM system in general.

pastel

Viva el Reggaeton!
in orre, since there is no special areas, everything are citys, and u cant cacth pokmons, no1 can use the pkmns they like...

An00bis

Wicked Witch
From a realistic standpoint it makes sense that the majority of Trainer's teams are terrible. Of the hundreds of thousands of humans that become eligible to train Pokemon on any given year / season only a few hundred are able to collect eight badges and get into the Pokemon League each year. It seems that the Pokemon League is actually a very small part of everyday life in the Pokemon World similar to how there's millions of fans for a particular sport (let's say Football) but only a few hundred players for the actual sport. And even of those there are only a dozen or so players who are really, really, great at their craft and are memorable for it. Those would be Gym Leaders, Elite 4 Members, Champions, and of course the aforementioned Ace Trainers who are at the top of the crop as far as regular Trainers go.

I imagine the Pokemon World is made up of something like this. Of everyone who is currently in the world now ...

20% are children who are too young to be expected to Train Pokemon professionally (10 or Under)
40% are adults who choose not to train Pokemon professionally or may not even have some (most NPCs)
20% are adults are " Casual Battlers " who battle with their pet or companion Pokemon for fun (most people you battle in-game)
10% are " Pokemon Trainers " who fail to collect the 8 badges they need for the League (most Characters of the Day)
6% are Pokemon Trainers who are actually Pokemon League material. Your Ace Trainers / League Level Battlers
3% are Gym Leaders, Master Coordinators, or otherwise respective members of the Training Community
1% are Elite 4 Members, Champions, or considered the " Absolute Best " of their Region

Realistically speaking not everyone will be good.

pastel

Viva el Reggaeton!
From a realistic standpoint it makes sense that the majority of Trainer's teams are terrible. Of the hundreds of thousands of humans that become eligible to train Pokemon on any given year / season only a few hundred are able to collect eight badges and get into the Pokemon League each year. It seems that the Pokemon League is actually a very small part of everyday life in the Pokemon World similar to how there's millions of fans for a particular sport (let's say Football) but only a few hundred players for the actual sport. And even of those there are only a dozen or so players who are really, really, great at their craft and are memorable for it. Those would be Gym Leaders, Elite 4 Members, Champions, and of course the aforementioned Ace Trainers who are at the top of the crop as far as regular Trainers go.

I imagine the Pokemon World is made up of something like this. Of everyone who is currently in the world now ...

20% are children who are too young to be expected to Train Pokemon professionally (10 or Under)
40% are adults who choose not to train Pokemon professionally or may not even have some (most NPCs)
20% are adults are " Casual Battlers " who battle with their pet or companion Pokemon for fun (most people you battle in-game)
10% are " Pokemon Trainers " who fail to collect the 8 badges they need for the League (most Characters of the Day)
6% are Pokemon Trainers who are actually Pokemon League material. Your Ace Trainers / League Level Battlers
3% are Gym Leaders, Master Coordinators, or otherwise respective members of the Training Community
1% are Elite 4 Members, Champions, or considered the " Absolute Best " of their Region

Realistically speaking not everyone will be good.

i think the percentage is pretty incorrect, there r much more who battle competitively against other trainers, but r simply bad...

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
i think the percentage is pretty incorrect, there r much more who battle competitively against other trainers, but r simply bad...

Exactly, they're bad, and as such aren't considered league material. The combined total for that criteria is 80%.

I'd say that's pretty accurate.

Competitive5910

Codename:ArseusEater
One of the main reasons for my addiction to Colo, XD, PBR, etc., is the fact that (almost) all of the trainers have pretty legit teams that I can sort of relate to. Take, for instance, one of the Team Snagem guys, who has Sceptile, Medicham, Vigoroth and Zangoose. He's not major to the plot or anything, but his team actually packs a real punch. (His Pokémon have the potential for quite a balanced overall moveset, and his stats, especially Attack, are also through the roof.)

But in the handheld games... not a chance. Other than bosses, gym leaders, the Frontier and a select few Ace Trainers, almost everyone's team consists of:
• 3-6 copies of the exact same species at different levels.
• 3-6 Pokémon of different species, but the same type and the same level.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else noticed this before? And please don't say "That would make it too hard!", Colo and XD were challenging but I still owned the house. :)

I agree. But the only thing that turns me away from XD and colessium is that i have to play it on a console (main reason) and the battles feel a ton slower for me. For some reason pokemon is more comfortable on a handheld, which is why i would NEVER trade that for a wii rpg

An00bis

Wicked Witch

The numbers stack. I'm saying of all the people in the world ...

40% are not Pokemon Trainers
20% are Children or Students who may or may not own Pokemon

So 60% can't even be considered for League Material at all. Most of the population.

From the remaining 40% ...

Half (20% of the 40) are only " Casual Battlers " who battle Pokemon for fun.

Another 10% try to collect badges for the Pokemon League but fail / give up.

That leaves the Top 10% are people who actually make it to the higher rungs and the Pokemon League. This number includes Gym Leaders, Master Coordinators, E4 Members, and other high ranking officials.

What I'm trying to say is from a realistic standpoint finding a Pokemon Trainer who actually knows what they're doing before reaching the Pokemon League would be extremely rare because most of the population aren't serious Pokemon Trainers.

Orre may have harder Pokemon Battles then the mainland because Pokemon are much harder to find. The Pokemon that could be found are probably best reserved for Trainers who actually know what they're doing. Other people might have one or two Pokemon they train and are unusually strong because that's all they have.

pastel

Viva el Reggaeton!
The numbers stack. I'm saying of all the people in the world ...

40% are not Pokemon Trainers
20% are Children or Students who may or may not own Pokemon

So 60% can't even be considered for League Material at all. Most of the population.

From the remaining 40% ...

Half (20% of the 40) are only " Casual Battlers " who battle Pokemon for fun.

Another 10% try to collect badges for the Pokemon League but fail / give up.

That leaves the Top 10% are people who actually make it to the higher rungs and the Pokemon League. This number includes Gym Leaders, Master Coordinators, E4 Members, and other high ranking officials.

What I'm trying to say is from a realistic standpoint finding a Pokemon Trainer who actually knows what they're doing before reaching the Pokemon League would be extremely rare because most of the population aren't serious Pokemon Trainers.

Orre may have harder Pokemon Battles then the mainland because Pokemon are much harder to find. The Pokemon that could be found are probably best reserved for Trainers who actually know what they're doing. Other people might have one or two Pokemon they train and are unusually strong because that's all they have.

actually almost everybody says he likes to fight even if they dont battle u or just tell u i want to be the best...

only a few ocasional person do not battle, making exeption from pokemar and pkmn center guys/girls
and even tough they dont battle or say things about it, they know things about placces only trainers can go or talk about

Aviano

I dropped my balls
actually almost everybody says he likes to fight even if they dont battle u or just tell u i want to be the best...

only a few ocasional person do not battle, making exeption from pokemar and pkmn center guys/girls
and even tough they dont battle or say things about it, they know things about placces only trainers can go or talk about

I don't think you're going to get this at all. And still, even if you think his percentages don't add up, at least Anoobis gave the best explanation for the fact that ingame trainers suck.

So kudos to you Anoobis

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Indeed some pokemon trainers ingame have weak and absurd teams mostly based on their trainer archtype(bug, ace, swimmer etc). They are part of the game an thus i believe they wont be removed.
And about pokemon trainers having several of the same pokemons...
Do not preach for them to remove the copy pokemon they are hotspots for ev training.
I still remember cowgirl shelley 6 bidoof...

W.T.

Donw with CIPHET!
Quartz tends to avoid trainer classes that are associated with a type. (Except for maybe Psychic and Swimmer.) Therefore, except right at the beginning of the game, you won't often find someone with copies of the same Pokémon... but we do make sure that each trainer's team gives you similar EVs.