• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Training Pokemon for Friends

JTrainer

Pokemon SwordMaster
What I mean by that is: EV training a pokemon and trading it to a friend for free.

I have a friend who really has no clue how to EV train, and so relies on me to EV train pokemon for him. I hatch the pokemon, Ev train it, and then I trade it to him for a pokemon I don't need.

I usually don't mind doing this, as it often gives me box space and he uses the pokemon in battles against me, but it gets annoying sometimes. To make matters worse, hes kind of a hacker. He uses an action replay to teach pokemon moves they can't learn and give them abilities they could never have (For instance, a Darmanitan with contrary that knows V-Create?!). Of course, he's been doing that less now, but it would still be nice if he could EV train his own pokemon himself. I've tried teaching him to EV train, but he doesn't get it.

Anyone else out there train pokemon to give to friends who can't EV train....and anyone else get sort of annoyed by it.

There isn't a thread like this already, is there?

jstinftw!

hey trainer
I do that, minus the EV training part. I'll get them a Pokemon or train it up a bit for now price. At all.

darthscyther123

If he hacks, he should just hack himself a properly EV'd pokemon.

At the very least, he should be able to learn (Vitamin x10) + (KO this Pokemon x152) to max a stat.

Pokefan1023

Pokemon Breeder :)
The basics of EV training aren't that difficult...I mean your friend should be able to get that KOing 252 Pidgeys will max out the Speed Stat. Or 252 Gastlys for Special Attack. That sounds kind of annoying, especially if he's a hacker who could obviously just get EV'd Pokemon himself. If it was me I certainly wouldn't do that for him, I'd think he was just being lazy and didn't want to do it himself. Because again, if you explain it to him the basic concept is actually kind of simple. But I don't know your friend personally, so whatever :p

Sircharles

Marijuantsome?
EV training is simple. Not hard. I think you need to tell him to do it on his own, because it's not cool that he is leeching off of you. There are videos on YouTube. Just redirect your friend there to learn.

JTrainer

Pokemon SwordMaster

At the very least, he should be able to learn (Vitamin x10) + (KO this Pokemon x152) to max a stat.

I would prefer it if he stopped hacking his pokemon though, cause hacking his pokemon's EVs might tempt him to stat break his pokemon again. If that happened, battling him wouldn't be fun anymore. The only hacks I don't find bad are certain item hacks, cause the fact that in-game you only get a maximum of 2 leftovers just sucks (I know, you can find them with pickup, but its only a 1% chance. And its not like you can RNG what you find with pickup).

And I've tried to teach him about the vitamins and what pokemon give out what EVs and such, but with him its just not sinking in.

Now that I think about it, hes able to remember complex stuff for other non-nintendo games, but he doesn't with pokemon. Sometimes I think hes just being lazy.

And as for telling him to do it himself, well...he has anger issues, and I don't like it when he's angry. For a guy who often talks so mature, he can be pretty immature. But I am going to his house today, so I think when I get there, I am going to try again to teach him to EV train. I need to burn the concept into his head, like I did when I was learning.

Last edited:

Blazios

I did EV train something for somebody once.

He was given a Shiny Modest Deino with Dark Pulse and perfect IVs by somebody who RNGed it for him. He wasn't planning to EV train it but I couldn't live with something so awesome being wasted like that. Though I did get Zweilous's and Hydreigon's Pokédex entries from it... even now, I still haven't seen a normal Zweilous.

Porgon-XYZ

Wut are you saying?
Considering my friend also uses an action replay to get things like shinies and junk, I don't really ev train for him much. He understands what they are but not how to do it properly. If he ever get's something legit that I don't have, I'll ev train for him.o3o

thejt

Everyday Im Shufflin

This right here. With an AR you get 900x every items. Just give them 100 Ev's in 5 stats, and 10 in another...or he can do it the correct and more efficient way

JTrainer

Pokemon SwordMaster
He could be lying about not getting so you have to do all the work

I don't know about that, hes a pretty good friend, I've known him for nearly 9 years. I don't think he would take advantage of me like that on purpose.

Its actually kind of ironic. Back in the days of gen 2, he was the expert and I was still learning (however, back then, neither of us knew about EV training. I only picked up on the concept during gen 4, when wifi battles began). But now, I'm the expert and hes learning from me. Whats funnier is that he's older than me!

Training and breeding pokémon for other people is a good excuse for me to keep playing my game.