• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Traits ( not abilities)

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
I'm sure this must have come up sometime before but I was wondering how it can be a big waste to have the levitate ability. i mean sure it is a great ability, but it leaves you lacking to have an abiilty that actually does something. Things like levitate I think should become "traits" persay. Something that pokemon have but not an ability. For example pokemon that obviously would fly like Mew, Celebi, Jirachi (They are not going to walk around I'm sorry) would have it in them to automatically levitate, but then they could get an ability to benefit themselves. So what are your thoughts?

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
I couldn't agree with thee more. This particular aspect always makes me question the absolute limit of GF's logic. Are they saying all the "levitating" Pokémon without the ability have an extra set of invisible legs or something?

Seriously.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Agreed. Just have to figure out how to fix that. It's annoying that my musharna and elgyem, who I've never seen on the ground, get hit by ground moves...yet I like their abilities. Being stuck with just levitate stinks too though.

So yea, I'd like them to have a unique ability yet be immune to ground type attacks.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
It's an interesting idea, but it would kinda be a waste of a function if levitation is the only thing it would cover. It's one of those things where function as a game mechanic is more important than realism/believability.

That being said, what other sorts of traits would there be, in addition to levitation?

PsiOmega

An old soul
It's an interesting idea, but it would kinda be a waste of a function if levitation is the only thing it would cover. It's one of those things where function as a game mechanic is more important than realism/believability.

That being said, what other sorts of traits would there be, in addition to levitation?

I agree. Levitate would make a nice trait, but what would some other traits be?

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~

I suppose things along the lines of type immunities. For example, not all Steel types are completely armored, thus making them illogically immune to Poison moves. If GF were to add traits accordingly based on their obvious anatomical structure, then only the fully protected would be completely spared.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
So maybe instead of traits, more like body types? Also, maybe some ghost pokemon who take on the form of objects can be hit by fighting and normal moves.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Might be a good idea, but so many Pokemon can fly or levitate that it would make Ground moves nearly useless. Plus what you're proposing means changing the Pokemon data structure to add in "traits." Last time they did that they cut off communication with the previous generation.

Pokemon will never be completely realistic. Ghosts, for example. They can't be hit be tackle, but you can bite them. You can't barrage them with eggs, but shooting a seed or throwing a rock at them is fine. If we were going to make this logical, then Ghost-types would be immune to practically everything. That's just how video games are. You can't expect it to always make sense.

Last edited:

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Plus what you're proposing means changing the Pokemon data structure to add in "traits." Last time they did that they cut off communication with the previous generation.

It doesn't have to be anything as drastic as what happened between gens 2 and 3. In fact, since it's just modifying data for a species instead of a specific individual Pokemon, it'd be no worse than introducing a new ability for an already existing species.

SuperEpicRock

To be perfectly honest, I really like the idea, but it seems like it would just make an already nicely diverse game more confusing. Now, in addition to abilities, you need to remember all traits all pokemon have, who can have them, and what they do. Yes it would make it more logical, but from a gameplay view, the problems far outweigh the benefits.

Also, remember:
Pokemon will never be completely realistic.
That's why it's a (really fun) game, and not real life

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Nah. Besides the fact that it would complicate things, I like the game mechanics the way they are. They remind me that the pokemon world is a fantasy world, not bound by the strict rules of reason. It forces me to think outside the box a little when battling, since the pokemon battle interface doesn't give much insight on the real workings of a battle; rather, it gives you the tools to win a battle, and plenty of room for your own speculation.

KingWiggins

What about Gardevoir? Its pokedex entry says it levitates 24/7, yet gets hit by earthquake, yet a pokemon like Gayrados that can't even flutter (it's a word) can dodge it?

Gelatino95

Not a tool
What about Gardevoir? Its pokedex entry says it levitates 24/7, yet gets hit by earthquake, yet a pokemon like Gayrados that can't even flutter (it's a word) can dodge it?

Like I said, it forces you to think outside the box. There are a number of situations you could think of that explain both of these phenomena.

- Perhaps Gardevoir doesn't levitate far enough off the ground to avoid the attack? Some games depict the Earthquake move as suddenly thrusting up the ground underneath the opponent rather than the popular notion that the ground simply shakes. It's very possible that Gardevoir's telekinetic ability doesn't extend far enough to lift it far into the air.

- Gyarados very likely moves around by flying through the air. That's part of the legend it was based on, and that's what accounts for its Flying type. That brings into question why it can't carry humans in flight. I'm fairly sure that it's strong enough to carry such a light creature, so that's not it. It's possible that, due to its naturally belligerent nature, it would never allow a human on its back. Maybe its spinal column is too weak to support a certain amount of weight pressing down on a single point. Maybe while Gyarados can fly with a human on its back, the weight would severely hinder its ability to fly effectively. There are a number of reasons you could come up with.

I'd imagine the a twenty foot long serpent with the ability to fly wouldn't have a problem with a human riding it, at least regarding the weight, and sensitivity. Rather, it's more likely due to fact the it's a incredibly violent Pokemon, and as such, would more likely than not either kill or severely maim anyone who got too close.

zozo

SLIMED!
I'd imagine the a twenty foot long serpent with the ability to fly wouldn't have a problem with a human riding it, at least regarding the weight, and sensitivity. Rather, it's more likely due to fact the it's a incredibly violent Pokemon, and as such, would more likely than not either kill or severely maim anyone who got too close.

I have to agree, weight probably isn't the culprit there. I always figured that Gyarados is unable to carry a human on its back because it simply refuses to fly very high at all, or possibly it will not fly for long distances over solid ground. Being a water type, it would likely have a natural aversion to anything that would dry it out, such as flying over warm earth or heading up to where the wind can quickly dry it out. So while it could travel through a desert inside its pokeball, coming out only for battles, without any adverse effects, it could not/would not fly over that same desert even without a trainer on its back.

Though the fact that Gyarados is referred to as "the atrocious pokemon" and is commonly regarded as having a horrible temper also probably plays a part. If Gyarados were real, I might trust one to carry me through nice, soft, buoyant water where a temper tantrum would only result in me getting wet. A temper tantrum high up in the air would have a rather different, more permanent effect on me.

But I've always found the ability of small birds, like Murkrow, to fly humans all around the land to be far more confusing than the Gyarados problem. If the small pokemon in question has psychic abilities, like Mew, it makes sense since it would be able to levitate its trainer to fly with it. But Murkrow? Unless there's a special power in a flying-type's feathers that works something like fairy dust in Peter Pan, I'm at a loss to see how they're able to carry hefty children around so easily.

Phoopes

There it is.
Well, if you're going to be technical about Ground immunity, then really there should be two seperate types of Ground moves. Because while it's understandable that Flying types and levitators could avoid an Earthquake by simply flying (or floating) above the ground, it doesn't make sense that they have immunity to things like Mud Bomb, or Mud Shot. I think it's reasonable to say that throwing mud at a bird could result in a hit, no? The point is that the game mechanics are fine just the way they are, and there's no need to overcomplicate things.

I'm sure this must have come up sometime before but I was wondering how it can be a big waste to have the levitate ability. i mean sure it is a great ability, but it leaves you lacking to have an abiilty that actually does something. Things like levitate I think should become "traits" persay. Something that pokemon have but not an ability. For example pokemon that obviously would fly like Mew, Celebi, Jirachi (They are not going to walk around I'm sorry) would have it in them to automatically levitate, but then they could get an ability to benefit themselves. So what are your thoughts?

I really like the enthusiasm that you put into something like this. I really never though about Pokemon having something like their own traits, just their normal abilities. However if this were the case Pokemon with a trait of flying for example would mean ground type pokemon or moves would be a complete waste to have. I'm just saying that abilities as traits is a really bad idea.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Maybe they only get levitate by magnet rise.

wolf king

Resistance is futile
Regarding Levitate, the only that I don't like/understand is why didn't the Magnemite family get Levitate?
they use magnetism to levitate i think

here we go a quote from bulbapedia
The magnetic units on Magnemite's body create electromagnetic waves that allow it to defy gravity and can potentially disrupt various electrical equipment. The faster the units at its sides rotate, the greater the magnetic force they generate. However, it becomes incapable of flight if its internal electrical supply is depleted.