• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Transgendered children

Status
Not open for further replies.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
It doesn't seem like you're really seeing the point that chess-z is raising.

Is it morally responsible to make children wait to transition if

A) De-transitioning is extremely rare and
Just because de-transitioning is rare, it doesn't mean that it won't happen. That's why if by chance, they do consider de-transitioning or want to, they'll be able to. We see trans support groups but we hardly see any de-transition support groups. I'm not saying that it will happen but if it does, the person has the choice to transition back with not much backlash.

B) The psychological risk present in denying them transition arguably outweighs any possible risk of simply being confused.
As a parent, it is their moral responsibility for their child to choose what's right for them. It's not denying them to transition and children do not have the mental capacity to make that decision that'll change their lives. They're not ready. Parents should let their child be who they are and until they are at the age where they are confident in themselves and their own feelings, the parents have the first say on how to raise their child.

I admit that if I had a child under the age of ten or so that expressed the desire to transition, I would be hesitant too and unsure of what to do, but it's probably wise to defer to someone much closer to the issue than you are.
I respectfully disagree unless if you meant if they sought advice to numerous therapists who are licensed/knowledgeable in gender/body dysphoria.

One other point I forgot to mention is that even if a child is young, you still have enough time to determine whether or not their expressions of gender dysphoria are a "phase" or not. For example, if it's as early as 7 years old and they haven't swayed from their convictions by the time they're eleven, there would be little point in making them wait until they're 16 or 18. I just hope no parent would sit by and watch their kid act out psychologically disturbing coping mechanisms like cutting or other forms of self harm until some magic age of maturity.
My question is, how can a child know the difference between a boy and a girl outside of traditional gender roles? What does it mean to feel like a boy/girl? There's a big difference between a boy who likes dolls/wearing dresses or a girl who likes rough housing/monster trucks and a person who gravitates towards masculine/feminine features and feels foreign inside their own body.

If a person can't wait on this "magic age of maturity" then they're not ready to transition. This is a serious adult decision that isn't to be rushed nor played with. There's reasons on why we wait until the child him/herself know this decision was the right choice. That's not to say, they aren't allowed to be on reversible trans drugs at a certain age.

Read the WPATH standards of care, you uninformed dreg of pseudointellecutalism .
This was really uncalled for. Please don't insult other users who are just expressing their thoughts on the topic. It's good to hear other people's perspective as you can kind of understand where they're coming from. And I honestly love hearing different thoughts on the same topic, that's why this thread was created. I understand your passion and sensitivity to it since you are trans and that's something that most of us here won't ever experience first hand. It makes you unique and further drives your need to push trans rights but when you resort to name calling, it gives off a bad impression on the community you're representing.

Most people, myself included, are uninformed on these issues as well as the basics of standard healthcare that will apply to trans individuals. I read 12 pages of the WPATH (most people don't have the time nor interest to read the whole thing) and even then, I won't truly grasp the thought process of someone literally going through it. A information book or article can only tell us so much. I'd rather hear a trans person's actual experiences (Youtube being a good way for trans activists to inform others on the struggles and mindset.)

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Couple of points I would like to make from my perspective.

1. Trans is not just about transformation between one sex to the other, it is a form of identity.
2. As someone who has studied biology, I am not inclined to say that biological sex is an end-all.
Like I said, it is a form of identity. There is clearly a psychological relationship going on.

I should mention that I am not clear about the biological processes, and I believe it can be better studied in the future.
I am not saying there aren't any studies, but I am not too familiar with many of them.
All I can say is that the AMA doesn't classify transgender as a type of psychosis.

Last edited:

chess-z

campy vampire
This was really uncalled for. Please don't insult other users who are just expressing their thoughts on the topic. It's good to hear other people's perspective as you can kind of understand where they're coming from. And I honestly love hearing different thoughts on the same topic, that's why this thread was created. I understand your passion and sensitivity to it since you are trans and that's something that most of us here won't ever experience first hand. It makes you unique and further drives your need to push trans rights but when you resort to name calling, it gives off a bad impression on the community you're representing.

Most people, myself included, are uninformed on these issues as well as the basics of standard healthcare that will apply to trans individuals. I read 12 pages of the WPATH (most people don't have the time nor interest to read the whole thing) and even then, I won't truly grasp the thought process of someone literally going through it. A information book or article can only tell us so much. I'd rather hear a trans person's actual experiences (Youtube being a good way for trans activists to inform others on the struggles and mindset.)

I sure am glad I provided my lived experience then. Is mine worth listening to?

Just because I'm touchy about this (especially as the arguments being eerily reminiscent of what rhetoric was used to deny me care way back in the day) doesn't mean you can disregard what I say. I'm tired of seeing the same argument only More Wordy and Obtuse. It's not informed, it's nothing new or intellegent, and it makes me cranky. If you could adress my claims instead of my tone, maybe ae could have a discussion.

Regarding detransitioning; you're moving the goalpost. Sucks, but your initial position wasn't founded in reality so you gotta change what you were arguing. That's bad form. (also since detransitioning ia rare, that's why there are feaer support groups, whoda thunk?)

I'm willing to provide more intimate deacriptions of whar my transition was like, but first I need to know you are actually listening to me.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
They kind of are a trans thing though. I mean lot's of groups have higher prevalences, but with trans people it tends to be particularly bad. That is actually why not making it more difficult to transition is a bad thing. The bad mental health is not caused by transition, it's already there, the transition can potentially help alleviate it and the sooner in life the more effective it can be.

To correct myself to sound better, the article made a "Well why don't we try having trans kids just not be trans", in the old "Well have you tried not being gay?" sense, and that being trans itself was the sole cause for why something else needed to be done, not anything else.

Kirby

ʘ‿ʘ
Staff member
Admin
ITT: People who are actively ignoring the experiences of someone who has actually transitioned.

Anyways, I'm gonna close this. Unfortunately, this is just one of those topics that SPPf can't handle. FYI this is nothing against you, chess-z, but rather has to do with the folks who continuously ignore you in favor of their own ill-informed thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.