• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Trash Can Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hauntershadow92

The Mono-type Man
Goldfan hit the nail on the head. Nominations would waste more time than applications. If you nominate those who you think are the best, they might reject. And then you will have to go out and find more people. With applications we can get like 40+ (random number) right off the bat and have a massive pool to choose from.

@Iggly:
Disadvantages: I've said this before, the only disadvantage I can think of is the extra leagues. It would be pretty bad to force the closure oof those really active leagues. My suggesstion for this is to keep 1-2 leagues that aren't a standard league, like the USL. This would give challengers a chance to do something different and not have to stay with only the USL.

How to Set up: Not sure wqhat you mean, but I'll try to answer:
Comitee Members (And sorry but I do not think a mod should be the overall leader of this), E4, GLs and Gym Trainers. After a GL thinks the trainer is good enough, the trainer could be like the second GL we originally thought of.
But if you mean teh physical contrustion, then I think this. A subsection under DP Battles or something, with the Rules and such as Stickies, each gym has their own thread. Yeah. Everything in one thread is too much to handle. It makes it chaotic and very ugly. No opne wants to try and get a gym battle in that mess.

I think Picking things have already been discussed well enough. As to picking the comitee, I'm fairly sure we can state by now the people who will be in the comitee. Take no offense, but these are who have done the most with this: Goldfan (Overall Leader), DonDemio (Not sure what Position), Iggly (Mod Rep and 2nd in command), Me (Not sure what position) and Kinder (Not sure). Obviously I'm only going on how much people have contributed ideas and such. I'm pretty sure these members were also a part of the original USL Comitee so that is also a plus.

goldfan

playing an ish game
Haunter, you are getting waaaay ahead of yourself. Let me explain to you why a moderator should be the head of the league:

First off, the moderators are the only members who have already proved themselves, we know that it is they who are dedicated to their jobs as moderators and will be around for a while to look after the league. Secondly, moderators have full access to the VBulletin moderation tools, which means that they will be able to deal with any and every situation as they will be able to give infractions, and edit the thread, for example. It is just simply the obvious and most sensible choice.

I also cannot see how you can defend the application of Gym Leaders and then nominate the commitee =/ The commitee should have to go through the same application process (but without the battlinng questionnaire and the battle, but with some more administrative questions.) The moderators should be able to gauge the characters of all those who apply, there may be people who are interested but not good enough, or there may be those who are interested but have not spoken up until now. Also, I don't see how you can nominate Kinder, when all he has done is come in here once with a relativly average idea (or at least in my opinion). I would much rather have another moderaor there at this point. If Kinder thinks he can do it he should be able to present a good application displaying his credentials, as will everyone else, with equal opportunity. Everyone should have an equal opportunity to present their case with an application and possibly an interview. No nominations, lol.

I want no part in the committee and yes you are getting a little ahead of yourself right now. Good things take time. I mustn't have made myself clear, I meant that the committee nominates the applicants to a position, Rather then individually testing every applicant. This will just save a monumental amount of time and as I understand it the committee of the TCL, run by 5 or 6 members felt that the work load bestowed on them was too much so anything that can reduce that is a positive. As for a mod running the league, of course they should. It's their place to do so and if your argument is that the mods don't battle I've never seen Iggly turn down a battle request.

and as Goldfan said, I got nothing ;P

Last edited:

goldfan

playing an ish game
Sorry Kinder, it wasn't supposed to be a personal attack, I just wanted to highlight the problems with nominating a commitee. I didn't mean to single you out or to have a go at your ideas, more just that you haven't had that much input so far.

I still feel that the commitee members should battle those applicants first before "nominating" them. Saving time is not as important as choosing the right people.

DonDemio

Maverick of Serebii!
But what to do with the existing leagues?
I agree with Gold on this. The Leagues had their chance to prove that they wanted their league open. I say we go along with our original plan to close all leagues that did not have "Historic Value." The Theme league is a good example of an Historic League.

Now Onto my "Town Hall Meeting" (It needed a name)
Q: What are the Advantages of even creating the USL?
A: That is a wonderful Question Iggly! Well the main focus of creating the USL is to rejuvenate the Serebii Battling Community. As of late, Serebii has fallen in the activity and battling skill as some of the other prominent Battling communities. By creating one Unified League, and filling the Gym Leader and E4 Spots with the best battlers on Serebii, it would give challengers an actual challenge. The League will be set up as the highest pillar of Serebii's Battling Community, so members of the forums will train long and hard for the battles. This in turn would increase the battle strength of Serebii members. Serebii would once again be a strong competitor in the “Forum Battles.” Another advantage is that it cleans up the League Section. As of now, there are 7 or 8 leagues going on. Most of these are inactive. Since there are so many, the memberships of these leagues are strewn about. This causes the leagues not to be active with a lot of members. True, people come once and awhile, but if there are no constant battles, then gym leaders start disappearing. With the USL, membership in a league will only be to one, the USL. This will allow Leaders to do more battles. It also increases activity and the overall success of the League. After all, a successful league is one that has members! Another advantage is that it would take over all the other leagues. While other leagues do contribute, they most likely fail because of reasons I mentioned before. Since the USL will be the only league, it saves time and effort of all the failing leagues. Another Advantage is that it will increase member ties. Serebii Forums forges friendships. This league will only make that more prevalent. It would also discover new members who are great battlers and ones that can one day be respected members of the forums.

Q: What are the disadvantages of even creating the USL?
A: Good question. The only real disadvantage is the fact that other Leagues will have to be closed. We want the USL to be the official League of Serebii. By this, it must have no competition for membership. I think we can allow historic Leagues like the Theme League to continue just as long as it is not the standard League. By having other Leagues, the USL’s membership could be cut down a bit. Another disadvantage is that it might be a lot of work, but I doubt that.

Q: How should we set up the USL?
A: I’ve touched on this in previous posts. I personally think that we should have a whole section devoted to the League. It seems to work for other sites, and it could make things a lot simpler. Here is what I originally intended it to be:
Here is a rough Draft of what we can have the section set up like: (Sections are Bolded, Subsections have indent & -)
United Serebii League
League Information
-Information/History of League (General Info)
-Official Staff/Roster
-Official Rules of League
-League Admin Thread
-League Admin Thread
Gym Leaders
-Gym Leader 1 Thread
-Gym Leader 2 Thread
-Gym Leader 3 Thread
-Gym Leader 4 Thread
-Gym Leader 5 Thread
-Gym Leader 6 Thread
-Gym Leader 7 Thread
-Gym Leader 8 Thread
-Gym Leader LeaderBoard (Hall of Fame for Gyms)
Elite 4
-E4 Member 1 Thread
-E4 Member 2 Thread
-E4 member 3 Thread
-E4 Member 4 Thread
-Champion Thread
Goldfan said it would be too much work like that, so we condensed it to this set up:
United Serebii League
-General Information & Rules
-Official Staff & Leader Roster
-Admin's Thread (for people to discuss ideas and what not)
-Gym Leader & E4 Thread (have the 13 first posts reserved for bios & information of the leaders. The rest of the thread can be for asking for battles and what not)
-Hall of Fame

I think we discussed that putting it in one thread would be ok to do. I agreed, but I do have some reservations. If this league is going to be huge, then we should display it as that. By having my orrigional set up, the leaders would be easier to contact. (Since they have their own page, (they don’t need to search through a main thread) The Committee has a page, things will run smoother. Having it all in one place might work, but I have a feeing it would get a bit too chaotic.

Another Main part of the set-up would be the Committee. I call it the United Serebii League Executive Committee (USLEC for typing purposes). The USLEC will be a 5 member committee that will run the League. They decide all the rules and by-laws of the League itself. All matters are decided by them. I came up with a draft of the roles of the members:
1) Director of the USL: Serves as the chief Administrator for the League. Cast votes in matters only if a tie is present. Has power to veto measures. (but other USLEC members can veto his veto by a 3-2 vote) Is the OP for the thread. Nominates USLEC members if a vacancy is present. (The other USLEC members must approve by a 3-2 vote) The leader of the application process for the selection of League Leaders. Main contact for the League. (Moderator of Serebii Forums)
2)Deputy Director of the USL: Serves as second official Administrator of the League. When the Director is not present, is the Head of the League. Regular voting member of the USLEC.
3)Chief of Leader Relations: Serves as the Administrator to Gym Leaders, E4 members, and Champion. Makes sure that the Leaders are ready to battle and oversees Gym and E4 activity. Any Complaints about Leaders will be made to the Chief of Leader Relations. If seen fit, the Chief may deal with the report himself, or bring it forward to the USLEC for a hearing. Regular voting member of the USLEC.
4)Chief of Challenger Relations: Serves as the Administrator to all Challengers. Makes sure that all the challengers are behaving and answers all questions that they may have. If a leader finds one to be troublesome or shady, then the Chief may deal with the report himself or bring it forward to the USLEC for a hearing. Also serves as main tester for application process for the selection of League Leaders. Regular voting member of the USLEC.
5)Chief Clerk/Purser: Serves as the main secretary of the League. Is responsible for saving all important documents regarding the League. As Head Purser, oversees the management of the League’s Exchange Corner. Responsible in overseeing the Exchange Corner and make sure that it is stocked, the point values are correct. Must also do all necessary trades. Regular voting member of the USLEC.

The above jobs are just a starting point. I think we need to decide this sooner or later.

As to The Gyms, I personally think that we should set it up with one leader and have one “Student.” The Committee could decide whether to make the challengers face the student before being able to battle the Leader. As to the gyms, we have 8, all of which can be battled at any time. The E4, must be faced in order. The Champion is the one that went through the league first.

I also Discussed a Battle frontier like system for prizes. I still think we should give it a try. I’ll be posting a rough draft of that soon for public view. It could help get people looking for good items!

Q: How to go about picking…well…everything?
A: This is one that we have been talking about for some time. The people in the league must apply to it. This means all aspects of the league. The Committee will be the first to apply. With questions made by the Serebii moderators, they will conduct the interviews. They will select 3-4 outstanding members who applied for the Committee spots. Next comes the Leaders and E4. The Committee members will conduct the interviews. They will select the 12 outstanding members who applied for the Gym and E4 spots. Any other topic or decision will go through the USLEC for approval. It would be the highest ranking body for the league.

Feel Free to discuss what I said above, and as always these just are my ideas! I think that is it for me! Till next post,
~Don

Well once a committee is set up and the applications are received I'm sure if you do happen to be one of the committee members you will like my way better. Though we seem quite a long way from there, due to this cyclical discussion. We need to make positive steps now. The mods however are currently not even discussing USL so that makes things a little difficult. I find individual threads a better idea.

What do you think the best ratio is for GL and E4 teams? My belief is that 3:3, although not truly reflecting the mono-type gym theme it does certainly go a long way to stop counter team efforts as well as covering up major weaknesses better, it will make the GL's and E4 much more challenging and that is of course a very good thing.

Last edited:

goldfan

playing an ish game
I was about to answer Iggly myself, but Don did a fantastic job :D

There are just a few notes that I would like to make. I think my main gripe is that I still feel that the USL should go in one thread, it would be the main thread of the battle forum, and will be a proud sticky at the top of the battling forum. There is a cool PM system that people can use to contact Gym leaders and Elite Four members, so they don't need their own thread. If we were to stretch to a sub-forum, it should be simply that, one sub forum with a handful of threads in it.

Don really hit the nail on the head. We can discuss this all we like, but if we want to get this thing started we need to elect a commitee, from there it is up to them to make all the decisions, with the moderators help, of course.

P.S. I'm on holiday from next Tuesday for a week. Is there any chance I can PM my credentials in a mini-application to a moderator so that they can present it for me, should the applications wish to go ahead whilst I'm away?

EDIT: Kinder I am dedicated. I would test battle every damn applicant if I had to =P I like analysing!

I feel that the ration should be 5:1 for GL and 4:2 for E4, when you consider that you can have dual types and you want the league to be accesible.

The thread isn't for organising battles, it is for alerting the GL of a challenge so that a battle can be arranged via other means be it PM, VM or on a chat. I believe one thread will become far too clustered and won't differentiate it from other leagues past or present. The sub forum would attract more attention as well as highlighting the significance of the league.

goldfan

playing an ish game
The thread isn't for organising battles, it is for alerting the GL of a challenge so that a battle can be arranged via other means be it PM, VM or on a chat. I believe one thread will become far too clustered and won't differentiate it from other leagues past or present. The sub forum would attract more attention as well as highlighting the significance of the league.

What? Surely the GL knows he has a challenge when he recieves the PM, VM or is contacted on a chat? I'm sorry, but I have no idea how that justifies the need for one thread, at all.

DonDemio

Maverick of Serebii!
What? Surely the GL knows he has a challenge when he recieves the PM, VM or is contacted on a chat? I'm sorry, but I have no idea how that justifies the need for one thread, at all.
I see what both of you are saying. The point I tried to get across was that the single thread might get too clamored. Also the PM system might be a bit too much. We only have 100 mesages before our boxes are filled. I'm worried that that will get filled up quickly with requests. The committee can decide it though...

Hauntershadow92

The Mono-type Man
I wasn't nominating anyone. I was just saying. And really, we are the ones, bar Kinder (It was just an idea), who are making the applications. I mean I would really liek to be in the comitee, I know Don would and I'm pretty sure you would too, Goldfan. I know the mods have ultimate access, but this league is basically ours. We are the ones making everything up for this league. If the mods want to spend time makign an application for comittee members, then fine. But I highly doubt they will. That basically leaves the three of us to make aplications, and seeing as we all probably want to get in, this gives us an unfair advantage. Now I'm not just saying this because I really want to be in, but let's get real right now. The chances are VERY high that us three will get in. We have definatly put in the most effort into this construction. I'm not being biased, just honest. Maybe an application for the other comitee members, but I'm pretty sure others would agree with me that we should be added as commitee members.

Nominations for Gym Leaders and nominations for comittee members are totally different. Commitee members need to have previous experince with leadership and the like. This means clans, leagues and so on. Most of the people who have been here a long time already know those people VERY well and we also know the people who aren't so good, amirite Don? (Joke, hope you get it. I'm not refering to you!) There might be a VERY small pool left of unknown people, but again very small and they probably haven't done anything here for us to know about. Leaders, on the other hand, the only experince they need is team building and battling. That makes the selection pool MUCH larger and there are MANY undiscovered battlers here on Serebii. Most of the more well known people don't know about every battle that goes on, so nominating a gym leader on personal experince exculdes MANY people who will never get a chance. I just think they are totallly opposite worlds.

@Other Stuff: Don you basically said everything I did, bar a few paragraphs, but with more words. The ratio should NOT be 3:3, that makes it too easy for the leaders and too hard for the challengers. 4:2 is the best.

I'd rahter not start a fight and point to people, but one thread for every leader and E4 is a terrible idea. Not only will it get chaotic, the PM boxes will fill, but it will be very ugly to look at. It might even discourage challengers. We want this to be the smoothest league possible. We don't want 5,000+ posts in one thread all saying "Can I battle you so-and-so?". Yes there are PMs, but they are bound to fill very fast.

And one more thing, if my paragraph on nominating committee members seems as though I'm trying get myself on the committe, I'm not. Honestly, I want to be on the committee, but I'm just trying to prove a point.

EDIT: My point is, if the mods don't want to make the applications, then what?

Last edited:

DonDemio

Maverick of Serebii!
@Haunt, Like I said before, the moderators would make the applications for the Committee. I think that One (1) moderator should be on the Committee. The rest would be regular members who applied. The selection process for the Committee would be handled by the Mods. I suggest that Iggly be the Head Moderator for the process and then Volt and Ellie help to select the other 4 Committee members. So this is what I think:
Current Idea for Membership
1) Director of the USL: Iggly (Head Moderator)
2)Deputy Director of the USL: Regular Member who got selected
3)Chief of Leader Relations: Regular Member who got selected
4)Chief of Challenger Relations: Regular Member who got selected
5)Chief Clerk/Purser: Regular Member who got selected

The mods will have to come up with questions, but I trust Iggly will do it. Since the committee members are Administrative, no battles need to take place, so it would be ok for the Mods to do. Also, the Committee would be the ones to test and select the Leaders and E4 so the other mods are not needed. By having one moderator on the actual Committee, it allows the members voice to be heard through representatives. Having 2 or 3 mods, this important aspect could be lost. Also, I dont think we should be thinking that "Oh we did all this work on it and we will be selected without a hitch." While I personally think that those who contributed alot right now are good candidates, I cant shake the feeling that others are out there. Who knows? they might have valuable input. I know one thing, we should stop guessing and just do work to set it up. I know for a fact that if I am not selected, I'll grow a pair and still help out as much as I can!

When the committee starts doing Leader tests, it should be divided amongst the Members. Having each person tested by all the committee members would be way to hard. This would cut down on the application process time. I think that after each test battle, the tester writes a detailed report of the tested person. The tester will submit all of this into the group meeting, and the Committee members will select the Leaders by using the reports. These reports would show how good the applicants are. We need to give everyone a fair chance. We will try to pair up testers with people they dont know well. After all, unknown people might be the best people for the job!

As to the ratio, that's not my thing. You guys know the battling thing more than I do. Dont get the wrong impression. I know how to make teams and all, but you guys (Haunt especially) know all the technical stuff by heart. This is why I havent said anything to date about this. Whatever you guys think will be ok, im up for it.

@Goldfan: Dont worry bout the holiday. Send it to Iggly and me. I'll make sure it gets in just as a backup.

In General:
I made a xat for the USL. It is still a work in process. I will be needing a background for the chat itself though. Something that looks and represents Serebii's Official League. Prehaps something Light green? On the chat, The Committee members will be Owners with [EC] before their Name. E4 Will be moderators of the Chat with [E4] before their name. Gym Leaders will be Moderators with [GL] before their name. The Champion will be a Moderator with [CHP] before his/her name. Gym Leaders, E4 and the Champion will loose moderation powers if they misbehave. I hope this becomes a meeting place not only for the League, but for the entire battling community. people should stop in to find battles and just talk and hang out.

Volteon caught link! =D

We should tell the staff of the league to meet there to talk to challengers seeing that it is easy.

~Don
Not to push the panic button, but this is coming together. I think it is about time that the Committee is created so that the rest of the items that need to be decided by it can get done. The sooner this is opened the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ratio should NOT be 3:3, that makes it too easy for the leaders and too hard for the challengers. 4:2 is the best.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't challenging the GL's or E4 just that? a challenge. I mean that comment is really not demonstrating the intelligence needed to run the league. The league is supposed to be difficult.

The chances are VERY high that us three will get in.

Makes me doubt this.

The format is fairly set in stone from what I can see so I don't think there's any point in me talking about eight GLs, four Elites and so forth. There has been talk of gym trainers as a type of back-up gym leader but this is flawed. With twenty people to beat before becoming a champ, it's far too excessive. If a GL is having activity problems, there CAN be a substitute GL for the time but it should not be a permanent thing. Timezone difficulties and the [hopeful] skill level of GLs will make the league enough of a challenge and effectively doubling the amount battles required to get through the league will only serve to stall the league. This encourages inactivity as impatience and stagnation are rampant. If you want the league to be successful, do not institute gym trainers.

The most prominent topic lately seems to be the committee members. Iggly is a given. As a representative of the moderative staff AND a respected / intelligent battler, he'll be able to steer the league in a way that will allow it to be successful as well as conform with moderative expectations. Iggly has shown himself capable of organising leagues and clans as an admin member of Team Huh? [zomg I said a dirty word]. Not putting him on the board would be completely moronic.

Goldfan is another obvious choice. He was a member of the original committee and proved himself to be an active and positive force. The trouble is, he's a Smogoner so it's difficult to vouch for him but, looking at how much time he's spent on here recently, the USL may bring back the members that left for "Greener pastures." I'm sure Goldfan knows what he's doing.

Thirdly, Hauntershadow92 should not be put on the committee. I observed him during his time on the original USL board and it was underwhelming. His designated people to test went undone for weeks and eventually one of the others had to take over. He's prone to random periods of inactivity and constantly seeks positions of power. He is NOT material for the committee.

DonDemio is an intelligent and organised member. He's aware of how things should be run from an administrative point of view. However, this must be counterbalanced with people who have more battling expertise. So, to be perfectly honest, it could swing either way with Don being on the committee or not.

Erik Destler, Volteon and Ellie are all capable people however this doesn't translate into the efficient operation of the league. I accept that as moderators they are going to be primarily concerned with the level of spam and tidiness in the league but one must also consider the social circumstances of the league. I do not feel that the moderators have enough of an understanding of the function of the battle section to be able to have a valuable input here.

Cousin_Dan is another battler who I know to be both incredibly talented in battles and as an admin. Dan is also a very loyal and dedicated person. With my experience with each of the people mentioned, I feel Dan would rank in the top three who should be a part of this.

Also, Don. You forgot that Volteoncaughtanotherlink=D still exists.

--------

What we did before the original USL was set up was extend an invitation to existing clans [or, at least, the more successful ones] to have preferrential treatment for their leaders. Obviously, as they are sacrficing their leagues to have the USL set up, it's only fair that their leaders get tested first. Also, contacting them about what may have to happen if the USL goes ahead will bring them on board earlier and prevent bitterness from "Oops, deleted your league."

To further back up the point in regards to Hauntershadow92, there is no better example of his poor management skills and random periods of inactivity then here The Guardian cup promised to be one of serebii's best ever tournaments, Volteon was kind enough to sticky it, battlers from all other forums had joined to sign up. The league was poorly managed and in fact didn't even end, bringing embarrassment to the competitive side of the forums.

Haunt was one of my fellow clan-members at TH? so you can see I am not doing this out of personal sight nor personal gain as I am not even applying for a position on the committee, I just want what is best for the forums, even if my occasional trolling may make things appear otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

goldfan

playing an ish game
A challenge Kinder, but the challenge is in beating all 12. There should be a reasonable chance of being able to beat each individual Gym leader. Let me give you an example. If there is an 80% chance of beating each Gym Leader / Elite 4, you have a 7% chance of beating each Gym Leader first time. So even if we give the challenger a good chance of winning each individual battle, it doesn't mean that the league won't be a challenge. Note that even the best battlers, those that top the Smogon Shoddy ladder have an overall win ration of around 80 or 85%

They are not "Gym Trainers," they are the junoir Gym Leaders. You need only beat one to get the badge from that Gym. The Junior Gym Leader is there to learn from the main Gym Leader, to help take some battles when the main Gym Leader when he is a little busy. The main point is that he can take over and help with applications when the old Gym leader leaves. The junior will then take up the role as Gym Leader and hire a new Junior leader. The intention was never to have to beat both of them.

he's a Smogoner so it's difficult to vouch for him

It's nice to see that site-to-site relations that have improved since I left. Personally, I think that is was a valuable experience and one which actually counts for me here, but that's not for me to decide. You all know that I advocate a full commitee application process, and I'm standing by that.

EDIT: If we want a chat Don, we definitely need it to be moderator approved.

Last edited:

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't challenging the GL's or E4 just that? a challenge. I mean that comment is really not demonstrating the intelligence needed to run the league. The league is supposed to be difficult.

There's no need to insult people because you disagree with them. The GLs and E4 need a challenge too.

Anyway, a few points.

First, I don't think gyms should be required to give out big IV bred, EV trained prizes. Some people don't IV breed, and that's rather unfair to them that because they can't, they aren't allowed to be a GL/E4. Also, there are people who are against cloning. I personally don't have anything against it, but I don't do it because the only cloning method I know of (the GTS trick, I don't know if this is the only one) runs a risk of losing the Pokemon you're cloning. Since the only things I'd attempt to clone are things I'd also mind losing, I'd rather not risk it. It's unfair to people who don't like cloning to practically force them to do so. As well, if the committee decides to go through with the point system, all the really good prizes should probably be available through that, rather than just beating one GL/E4 and getting a Pokemon with great IVs after one battle. You should have to work a bit harder than that for it.

I suggest GL/E4s give away some egg move Pokemon with good natures as their prize, preferably one that has to do with their own type. For example, if I become a Gym Leader (and I want to), I'd go for an Ice-type gym. I already know what team I'd use if I were to be one, and it involves a Mamoswine with Curse. Thus, as a prize for beating me, I'd give out UT Adamant Swinubs with Curse, or, failing that, any decent Ice-type Pokemon with a good egg move and nature. This way, the prize is good, but not good enough to defeat the purpose of the point system. People who want IV-bred or EV trained Pokemon could get them over the point system.

Also, I've been working on the gym badges and showing them to Goldfan. The only badge left for me to do is the Dragon-type badge; I have one for every other type ready. I'm not a champion spriter or anything, and there are probably a bunch of spriters on Serebii who could do this better than me, but I guess I was the first to offer? I use MS Paint because I don't have Photoshop (which probably means I shouldn't be doing this anyway), so I'll either have to come up with a background for every sprite or find someone with Photoshop to remove the white backgrounds. For E4 members, I'll take the badge representing their type and recolor it with a gold color scheme, similar to Frontier symbols. When I'm finished, I'll post them here.

goldfan

playing an ish game
If we actually end up having sig badges, I assume we will also look around to see what we can get from whom. The art that the commitee prefers will probably become that used, and I can only assume that we will want to look at other people's artwork as well. Not that yours is bad, in fact it is very good, it's just that its always nice to have a selection =)

That is a relativly minor issue at this point, however. You do bring up a good point about the Gym Prizes, though, and I am inclined to agree with you that Egg moves and decent natures would be acceptable as a Gym Prize. A few nice breedable IVs would be cool though :3 (heh)

DonDemio

Maverick of Serebii!
I think that we all discussed having two trainers at a gym, but like Gold said, Only one would have to be beaten. I think that the Leader must be one to be beaten to get the badge. the extra trainer, like Gold said would be there to learn the ropes and eventually take over for the Leader if need be. The only thing I would add is that only people who have beaten the league can join as trainers. If we get applications for trainers in gyms from the start, the staff would rise from 8 to 16 alone for leaders. Add that to the Committee members and E4, then it would be 26 members in total. We should just keep it to 8 leaders, four E4 members, and the 5 Committee members to start it.

As to the selection process of the League, I feel we should have two sides. The Committee members must be able to run things. They should how things should be run from an administrative point of view. I would put an emphasis on the Administrative experince of those applying. They wont need to battle, but they will be the ones running the league. I'd much rather see the league being run by people who can do the Admin stuff then those who know how to battle wonderfully. Let the battlers become Leaders.

Kinder, I also forgot that chat was existent! Well, we can use either one. I would use mine because I know I am the main owner and I can assign the Main Owership to others in case need be. That is unless we know the Main Owner of the one you posted. Also, Goldfan, Xat is not approved by the Mods? A chat box is a chat box, and xat seems to be the most popular at the time. I created it so that was another thing we didn’t have to worry about. I see no reason why moderators wouldn’t approve it. It’s there if we need it.

As to the badges, I have been talking to Rosemary who owns a shop, I asked her to do a few sigs and banners. Her work is amazing. I also asked her to design a few badges that revolve around Serebii's theme and mascot. Well see if she can do it.

As to prizes, should I go head with planing and designing a Battle Exchange Corner? It would be no trouble to me. I was thinking that it could offer prizes that the Gyms would not be giving out. As to attaining points, You can get them from beating Leaders and perhaps have some mini-games and challenges to spice up the league and give people who want a break from the league (Once again this is up for discussion)

~Don

goldfan

playing an ish game
I think that we should initially just take applications for Gym Leaders. If there is enough interest, then we should look at appointing Gym Trainers from there, or we should let the Leaders sort themselves out with a Gym Trainer. I don't think that people who beat the league should be the only ones who are allowed to be Gym Trainers, there won't be enough people, and surely if you are holding the position of champion, the Gym Trainer spot really isn't for you =/

As for the chat, Serebii rules are quite tight on people drawing people off of this site and onto others. I don't think that a chat would be a pproved by the moderators, but if someone could clarify on this either way, that would be fantastic.

We could really do with moderator clarification on a lot of these issues. I'd like to go ahead and start drawing up some initial rules lists and an introduction to the league now, I'm very eager! Obviously I don't even know if / when we're going to do this, but I feel that something should be done soon-ish, before all of the interest in this dies down. Can anyone give us some sort of clue as to what the opinions are on this? For now, I am going to assume that writing some stuff up more formally will be welcome, and I won't stop unless told otherwise :p It will also give me more ideas as to exactly what issues the commitee will have to decide.

Iggly

Banned
I think that we should initially just take applications for Gym Leaders. If there is enough interest, then we should look at appointing Gym Trainers from there, or we should let the Leaders sort themselves out with a Gym Trainer. I don't think that people who beat the league should be the only ones who are allowed to be Gym Trainers, there won't be enough people, and surely if you are holding the position of champion, the Gym Trainer spot really isn't for you =/

As for the chat, Serebii rules are quite tight on people drawing people off of this site and onto others. I don't think that a chat would be a pproved by the moderators, but if someone could clarify on this either way, that would be fantastic.

We could really do with moderator clarification on a lot of these issues. I'd like to go ahead and start drawing up some initial rules lists and an introduction to the league now, I'm very eager! Obviously I don't even know if / when we're going to do this, but I feel that something should be done soon-ish, before all of the interest in this dies down. Can anyone give us some sort of clue as to what the opinions are on this? For now, I am going to assume that writing some stuff up more formally will be welcome, and I won't stop unless told otherwise :p It will also give me more ideas as to exactly what issues the commitee will have to decide.

Halt!
Hammerzeit!!!

Maybe we're not exactly on the same page here...
Im really happy with what you guys have thought up so far and the effort you all are putting in, yet I feel I need to clarify something...
We initially started with 'Improvement Suggestions for the Battle Forum', the section as a whole.
After a while it came to be that alongside the suggestions for the section as whole, the thread was being overrun with suggestions mainly for the USL.
Thus this thread was created, as I also mentioned in the first post was that this wasnt an indication on whether we're making the USL at all.
Its still just a place for suggestions.
As I recently got appointed mod here, I've felt we need to fix this section first, rather than setting up the USL.
At this point we're in discussion over the Section as a whole, Clans, etc.
Seeing as I felt the USL was going to be the most work, I thought it'd be a good idea to save this for last, giving it the attention it deserves, IF its decided thats the direction we want to go.
Im not trying to kill your buzz or anything, I myself AM a huge supporter of setting it up so please dont get me wrong, at this point you all are getting way ahead of yourselves, e.g. electing people.
I will try to make the USL the next point of discussion seeing its so heavily supported by a few of you, most with some good ideas I might add.
I just dont wanna see someone putting in a ton of work over nothing ._.
Can say its no use taking in GL apps and such, it'd be a waste.
Give me a little more time for me to get back on you all regarding this, and we will try (if it passes) to make it grand!

*strokes his white cat*

Iggz

goldfan

playing an ish game
I understand your concerns Iggly, but I feel that this matter is much more pressing than those moderating these parts of the forum realise. This battling sub-forum is in need of some kind of change, we all know that. Now is the time to act! Since the introduction of these two threads (The improvements and the USL threads) interest and enthusiasm has been high, the longer we wait, the lower interest will fall and frustration will set in. At least you Iggly must remember the ferver that the USL set up last time in the residents of these forums, and then when the mods decided to take the situation into their own hands, we had a huge outcry, large amounts of people left this forum, and it turned into the sub-forum that people are complaining about today. I really really wish that the moderators of this forum would for once put their faith in those who use this sub-forum.

You have seen the huge amount of effort people are putting in here to try to get some solid foundation for this idea. It is ready to go, we have put it together, interest is high and once a little bit of grunt work is done, this league will be ready to go! The summer is here, peoplpe have time to do these things. The sonner we start the higher interest will be, and the larger an impact it will have on these forums. Let the USL be a catalyst for other changes in the battle forum, this is what the people want, so let them have it (especially seeing as it is the people who have done all the work here.) You may ask why I have the largest number of large posts in this thread, and that is because I care deeply and am passionate about this league. I was passionate about it this time last year, and I am again, but the longer that the moderators discuss this in their sub-forums, getting suggestions from those moderators who don't even run the battle forums, the more I start to feel frustracted and annoyed that no-one will put their trust in my systems. the systems that others and I have laid down here that have come under no criticisms whatsoever from you moderators.

You want to sort out the main section first. Wombat and I laid out our ideas here ages ago, and there has been no discussion or answers from moderators, at all, where is the effort of the passion. Please tell me that most of the ideas in that thread have been discussed or are at least going to be discussed by the moderation staff? The USL is the pressing issue right now, so why is it this that is not being discussed? You want advantages and disadvantages, it has been presented to you, you want to know how it will run, we have told you. Ellie even said it looked good, so where is the issue? The issue is that the moderators would rather discuss this stuff amongst themselves then to give the people what they obvious want (and have done a large bulk of the work for.) This did not work out so well last time, eh? Just put your faith in the people who are prepared to do the work, or else lose them. You have lost at least two top quality members (in Femme and Blaine) this way, I came back looking to help out here, because I care about this place, but yet again I find myself facing the same old issues. This place is very loosly moderated, I don't get the feeling that the moderators really want to push for change, it is those here that are pushing for change. You (plural) set up this thread, yet have not really become a large part of the discussion, you have asked questions, got very very solid answers and then there is still no discussion of this going ahead. Can't you see, understand how all you need to do is put your faith in a few dedicated select members of the forums and the problems will become so much easier to solve.

I really don't get the impression that the moderation team as a whole cares about this place. it is a shame that power was not given to those who care a long time ago. i will stick around for a while to see if any positive steps are taken, but I at this point I really feel the same frustration that I always have when dealing with this specific moderation team. Whether it was Eriks single handed swoop that took the old USL with it and created these fantastic foums we see here now, or general inactivity or lack of passion to get anything positive done here. It is up to you to get something done, but the longer you leave it, the less forum members you will have to enjoy the superb systems you finally put in place. Please please choose to put your faith in the members of these forums, else they all suffer the same fate as Blaine, and either quite entirely or move to more active battling sites.

Don't repeat the mistakes of the past. See that I care, and that others do to, we are only here to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.