• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Trash Can Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animefreak478

Name: Animefreak478
FC: 4682 5002 4017
TimeZone: EST

Hauntershadow92

The Mono-type Man
Guide To Stop Accidental Counter-Teaming

Hey guys, it's me, Hauntershadow92, the Normal Gym Leader.​

Recently, I have been seeing, hearing and perhaps doing it myself ((;)) complaints about counter teaming and getting in trouble for counter teaming. Now, I can't stop you guys from counter teaming, but for those of you who aren't trying to counter team, let me give you a set of rules you can follow (loosely or strictly) that will prevent you from accidentally counter teaming. I would also like these rules to be used by Gym Leaders when they determine what is a counter team and what isn't. From my experience (I have been working with mono teams since D/P came out), this is the best way to define a counter team.

1. Analyze the Leader's type
This is key. I will use my type, Normal, for this example. Now we all know that Fighting is Normal's only weak, right? Good, Pokemon 101. Now let me take that a little further and analyze how a Normal leader, like myself, overcomes that weak. Seeing that Fighting is resisted by Poison, Psychic, Ghost (Takes nothing), Bug and Flying, it is apparent that my wildcards will be of those types. So let me break down what this means to you as a challenger. If your team consists of 3-4 Steels, not only do you resist my STAB move, you also resist the STAB of my wildcards. Then you have 2-3 open spots for set up, things that disrupt teams, etc. Finally, you need to know what can super effectivly counter wildcards. If it is something very bulky, chances are it could be used to counter. Especially something like Dusknoir or Brnzong (in terms of a Normal team) So in conclusion:
-Make sure you aren't excesivly using resists. (Excessive as in 3-4).
-Be sure to know the weaks of a type and the wildcards that come along with those weaks
-Know your type chart. You need to know what resists what and what is Super Effective against what

2. Know the Leader's Type
This is different than analyzing a type. Let me use the Electric Gym as an example. The first thing that popped into my head when I played with making an Electric team way back was that there were very limited Physical Attackers in the game. This means a very potent Special Wall, such as Blissey or Snorlax, could take on an Electric team fairly well. True the leader has wildcards and could use a physical attacker to counter BLissey or Lax, but countering a wall is pretty hard, since you aren't actually countering attacks, moreover status conditions or really bulky Pokemon (Blissey and Lax respectivly). So, in conclusion:
-If a type leans to a specific stat (be it SpAtk, Atk, Def, SpDef) make sure your team isn't excessivly dominant in the opposing stat (SpDef, Def, SpDef, Atk respectivly)

3. Last but not least: Know your Combonations!
Yes, a moveset, item and EV spread can definatly be considered part of countering. I'm going to use a Poison team as an example for this one. Poison's are Psychic and Ground (However I will focus on the Ground aspect as there is no move that impacts the Psychic weak). This isn't all too bad, seeing as there are a bunch of Flyiers, poison or not. However, when a team comes in that is based around Gravity, we have a problem. Not only are the Levitators and Fliers brought down, but now there is STAB (Or Strong) Super Effective move that can hit every Pokemon! So in conclusion:
-Take note of the Pokemon within the type
-Make sure there isn't a move in your team that can wreck havoc on the opposing team, even if it is a choice scarf, or special EV spread, something can do massive amounts of damage

4. Summary
I want you guys to realize that all of these factors come into play when defining a counter team. Those of you who pay real close attention can see multiple overlaps in the 3 issues. So basically, when making a team to challenge the league, or even when debating whether your match (aimed at leaders) was against a counter team, use these guidelines. However, use these as guidelines, NOT as rules!​

Last edited:

goldfan

playing an ish game
Is this subforum hidden to non-league staff?

In which case it might be worth having a monthly "team post" where everyone posts their team and everyone else has a little look and points out little suggestions that might be worth making. If anyone has any glaringly obvious weaknesses this could pick them up :)

kingofmaelstroms

Forum name: kingofmaelstroms
Name: Matthew
platinum fc: 4812 5832 4077

kingofmaelstroms

Forum name: kingofmaelstroms
Name: Matthew
platinum fc: 4812 5832 4077
Time zone: GMT

Hauntershadow92

The Mono-type Man
I'll fix it, but I was just using that as an example. Iggly told me I can't post it under "The League", so I posted it here to hopefully be moved.

Is this subforum hidden to non-league staff?

In which case it might be worth having a monthly "team post" where everyone posts their team and everyone else has a little look and points out little suggestions that might be worth making. If anyone has any glaringly obvious weaknesses this could pick them up
I actually suggested this like a long time ago. I am with this idea.

ger9119

Forum Name-Ger9119
Fc-2793 8099 3635
timezone-east coast i guess(new york)

Boredx10

Forum name-Boredx10
Name-Don
FC:2793-8099-3635
Time zone:Eastern

Xyden

Legend Of Steel
Name: Xyden