1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Treecko, Torchick or mudkip On Emerald

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation III Discussion' started by SpongeBoblover, Feb 24, 2008.

1. SpongeBoblover

SpongeBoblover < She's preaty

Which starter Pokemon should I get on Pokemon Emerald?

2. YoYie

YoYie I you bet

it's all your own choice, any pokemon will do.
    just bear in mind that mudkip is kinda like a starter for beginnners, you will beat the game smoothly
    torchic is going to be tough at the beginning, but at the end it's really strong
    treecko is also nice, but not as strong as the others, and is going to make a tougher game than the others.

3. Griff4815

Griff4815 No. 1 Grovyle Fan

I chose Treecko. He saved my *ss in the E4.

4. Treecko. Can learn tons of stuff and killer speed for a grass type.

5. KDragon5

KDragon5 >Sceptile

Definitely Treecko. It learns Leaf Blade (the only pokemon to learn it in rse, well Grovyle and Sceptile do) and it isnt hampered by awkward typing like fire/fighting and water/ground
    and I'm going to have to disagree with you, YoYie, because if anything, I have always found that starting with Treecko made the game easier toward the end and in battle frontier compared to starting with the other two

6. XSilverStarboyX

XSilverStarboyX Well-Known Member

It all depends on how easy you want things to be

Mudkip is best to use for begginers. He will hold his weight on almost all of the gyms

Torchic will have a hard time against Roxxanne, but after that, he becomes pretty useful

Treeko is probobly going to give you the most challenge. I like him a lot but he will make Wattson VERY hard to beat

These are just my experiences with all 3 starters. I picked Treeko in Ruby, Torchic in Sapphire, and Mudkip in Emerald;152;

7. squirrel

squirrel Well-Known Member

Actually for all of you saying torchic is the hardest in the beginning, you're wrong. (In my opinion anyway. :p) Evolving it to a Combusken (Level 16), isn't that hard, and when you do you get double kick (super effective on rock type PKMN). Also you get peck at level 15/16 on your torchic (Super Effective on fighting type) Finally, the 3rd gym has lots of Steel/Electric PKMN, which you can just ember or double kick (both Super Effective on steel type PKMN) to their doom. :p

Mudkip and Torchic are easy for beginners. Sceptile is better for endgame, especially Battle Fronteir. I love my Sceptile to death, but if you're more of a beginner choose Torchic or Mudkip. :O

8. EmeraldPhoenix

EmeraldPhoenix Shiny Hunter

I agree with squirrel...though I'm partial to Torchic/Blaziken...

9. maxx unlimited

maxx unlimited <-Gender Undisclosed

I have to say Treecko, even though its a pain when you get to the 3rd, 4th and 6th gyms.

10. MidnightTheMightyena

MidnightTheMightyena Money for nothing

I go with mudkip usually, but for emerald I'd say that treecko pays off more than any other. Especially since the champion is a water trainer. (though it doesn't make much of a difference). ;262;

11. Mr. Mudkip

Mr. Mudkip Banned

mudkip is da bomb!

12. Pokenicks

Pokenicks Come at me bro

I owuld say Mudkip, since when he evovles to Swampert, Swampert only has one weakness - Grass. But at least Swampert has the advantage of using Ice beam, freezing Grass foes.

13. shinybagon

shinybagon Looovveee<3

I would say mudkip, because she does well throughout, nice and consistent.
    Treeko if you are looking for a challenge.
    And Torchic if you are going to need a fire type.

14. ironknight42

ironknight42 Well-Known Member

mudkip is the best for begginers but I found that in my experience that Torchic is the most fun to use.

15. Nidogod

Nidogod Well-Known Member

Mudkip:
    Pros - Has the best typing for the majority of gym leader battles, with proper TMs can be a great asset against the Elite 4.
    Cons - Before you get surf, his best moves will be mud shot and and strength. He severely lacks in good moves until you start teaching him stuff like surf and ice beam on your own.

Torchic:
    Pros - Has the best stat distribution. In-game attacks and speed are best and he has the best ratio for both. Learns better moves faster, and completely obliterates the Elite 4. They have a severe weakness to fighting (nearly half the Elite 4 Pokemon are weak to it x_x) and he takes advantage of that.
    Cons - Typing isn't so great against gym leaders, lack of defense hurts him before his power gets higher in later levels.

Treeko:
    Pros - Learns false swipe around when you get through the Elite 4 making it convenient to complete your Pokedex...
    Cons - Brings nothing to the table for gym leaders, defense is more hindering than Torchic, has way too mch speed and not enough of anything else, has an extremely limited movepool, is barely useful (as far as type coverage goes) against the Elite 4 and has terrible level up moves before leaf blade and not much after it.

Basically Torchic and Mudkip each bring something to the table to make them helpful throughout the game. Treeko is the one you pick when you don't want a starter who's going to straight up make things a cakewalk for you.

16. Blivsey

Blivsey DATA_ERROR

I personally reccomend against choosing Water starters in general unless you have other games with which to trade and get all three starters. Water is a very common type, and found literally everywhere in the game. Mudkip can easily find replacements if you don't choose it.

Blaziken ends up being very helpful in the long run, but if you're a veteran, Treecko is worth the effort it takes to train it well. Ezpecially since both the last Gym and the Champion focus on the water type.

17. Nothinghere

Nothinghere New Member

In the first times I went with mudkip. And I put him in lvl 100. But now I pick torchic and train only him. Of course then I catch kyogre, groudon or rayquaza depending if I am playing sapphire, ruby or emerald. It's easy to beat all gyms and the pokeleague that way. I don't know about you but I can do it easily. The reason I picked torchic is because in the final evolution (blaziken) it's cool (frankly) and it's easier to do 1-hit-ko. When I had mudkip I loved wingulls. I catched a lot of pokemons and after the 5th gym I didn't know what to do, so I trained for weeks and then someone said what to do. It was then that I had lvl 100 Swampert :)

18. Nebbio

Nebbio NINJA!

Mudkip of course. But this thread is gonna get closed you know. Dammit Carl......... WWWHHYYY!?

19. CaptainX24

CaptainX24 Well-Known Member

This pretty much sums it up. One thing I must add about Mudkip, is that rival battles might be tough if they pull any grass moves since water and ground have a 4x weakness to grass.

20. meh_25

meh_25 Well-Known Member

i usually take torchic even though he will have a tough time against roxanne thats why i catch a marill early on
    also cos torchic can evolve into combusken and ultimately BLAZEKIN cos he is fire fighting which means he can be super effective against many types eg. grass, ice, normal, rock and many more =]