• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Trial Mission: A Frozen Raid Battle!! (1191)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1191.jpg

Trial Mission: A Frozen Raid Battle!!

Goh has been given the next Trial Mission for Project Mew, and it is to have a Raid Battle against Articuno. When he goes to the island with Ash, he meets an old friend, Horace, who has the goal of meeting Celebi. Gary is also there and wants to join Project Mew. Together, the four find Articuno and start the raid battle. Will they be able to win?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Man the animation was poor. I liked the Moltres battle a lot more myself.
Surprised they got wrecked like that though. Ash should have brought his Charizard =P

D

Deleted member 384931

This "raid battle " felt meh at best. Gary was the best character, AGAIN.

D

Deleted member 384931

GOU WHY NOT USE YOUR FRESH CAUGHT GOLBAT FOR THE SOUND THING? Inteleon was an odd choice

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
Meh.... What can we do about this.

That Articuno was someone else man... Someone in the staff really hates Zapdos.

Atleast Bayleef shines. But Goh is a poor character and now we have that development that we should have had 1 year ago, and off course this development is going to be weird cause next episodes are Ash and Rocket episodes.

Whatever enjoy your 8 months left in the island of revelancy.

After that he will only be a memory in the drawings of Fujoshis

OH GOH I MISS YOU.

Cant wait to fill a bucket with Goh fans tears and pouring it on me.

nuzamaki90

Very cool episode no pun intended, the best Project Mew episode so far without a doubt. Although I was getting worried because they were spending too much time on running from Geodudes and Goh doing his mandatory catches. When was the last time we heard that annoying ass “Great! Excellent!” Jingle the dex does when Goh catches a Pokémon?

It was also nice to see other participants in Project Mew besides the main group. It makes the whole thing a lot more grander and not just some super secret club. Tokio also impressed me playing a very active and well adjusted Support role for the team. Gary and Ash are already a well oiled duo in terms of teamwork, so I imagine if they can find some way to integrate Goh into it, the Project Mew squad will be stacked.

But alas, even after battling alongside Ash, Dawn, and Koharu for 100+ episodes, Goh still isn’t a good team player where it counts and thus this is his first official lost Trial Mission. Mind you Articuno was super strong, no doubt as strong if not stronger than the one Noland used. It also debuted some new moves like Triple Axel and Sheer Cold which I don’t think was ever properly shown in the anime besides in Contest appeals.

However Goh definitely cost the group a win for not following the plan, this was a great humbling experience for him. I’m really looking forward to seeing what the four of them are capable of in the future.

nuzamaki90

This episode is really pulled down by the poor animation / battle choreography (for a mainline episode at that), and the dragged out and repetitive wasting of the first half which includes the nonsensical instant captures of aggressive Pokemon at full health.

This results in the Raid battle being crammed and rushed in the last 10 minutes, resulting in more than half of them jobbing within half that time span (4 Pokemon fell to a single attack ffs). On top of that, Ash's role was minimal outside of straightforward attacking, Tokio was sidelined to a support role and Gary did not do much battling himself (though he was an excellent team leader and really worked his brain the best). Yes, I get that it was a Goh episode and he needs to stand out, but if you're gonna have 4 battlers and 12 Pokemon involved in a Raid battle, you give them the focus/screentime they deserve, or exclude them entirely.

Outside of that, the only thing I can really give this episode is that it really highlighted the power of Legendaries and the true might of them (not like the joke portrayals of Zapdos and Suicune) given how casually it whooped everyone's a**. I was also going to consider this a significant setback for Goh (even if 3 others failed alongside him) but the fact that they got tokens at the end negates that instantly and further gives the episode a negative point. What did they take from the episode, that they can work as a team?

Overall, a below average / mediocre episode at best.
Goh didn’t get a token. Only Gary and Tokio. The point of the mission was to test how well they work as a team, since Project Mew is a team effort, and they’d gain data on Articuno at the same time. Since Goh blatantly went against Gary’s plan and just charged ahead, he cost them the battle and Tsurugi didn’t award him a token.