• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Trial Mission! The Deep Sea Diver Research Team!! (1177)

Worse than the other project mew episodes. Loved seeing Drake and him helping out but I hated how Ash and Hoh kind of depended on him. I also hated the funny moments at the beginning. The Regirock stuff looked out of place. Nice seeing Dracovish and Dewgong and the Seadra was very cute.

Did anyone notice Ash and Goh swimming with Luvdiscs twice?

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
What's amazing is Ash and Goh's ability to repeatedly dive into deep water and surface with no repercussions whatsoever.

Decompression sickness? The bends? What's that?

Goh should be a pro by now yet he made the same mistake throwing a pokeball underwater. I don't like this whole "make the characters bumbling fools" stuff.

OK, and?

He's only tried an underwater capture like once before, and that was 20+ episodes ago.

Not sure why people act like characters need to have solutions to every problem, especially when they're rarely ever in a situation where said problem occurs.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Not sure why people act like characters need to have solutions to every problem, especially when they're rarely ever in a situation where said problem occurs.
You're telling me you wouldn't know exactly what to do when catching a fast moving water Pokémon deep below the depths where you move slow as molasses? Come on its child's play

Kungfu-Bear

Good evening! (7pm here in SA). My thoughts w/ TL;DR version in bold:
(+) Good to see one of my favorite E4s again in the anime after so many years
(+) Goh was great here, I liked his idea of using Dragonite's cry to attract Kingdra and also using Inteleon's Snipe Shot to get over the difficulty of throwing a Pokeball underwater
(+) Normally the regions all look the same in the anime with the exception of Alola, but this setting actually felt like "Hoenn"
(+) I like to see protagonists relying on adults, makes the Pokémon world seem more immersive to me

(+-) I admire Shouzou Iizuka's willingness to return to the role, but he sounds tired here
(+-) Dracovish was just there, that was kinda funny. Well at least it showed up (for two episodes in a row!)
(+-) Inteleon was the MVP here, but oh yeah, "that move we trained"... You can come up with anything thanks to offscreenland
(+-) I didn't quite understand what happened when Inteleon used Liquidation on the ice boulders, it somehow caused an explosion strong enough to make a fully-evolved Dragon-Water Pokemon not resist the pokeball. Well, it's Goh anyway...
(+-) Glad to see Tsu-senpai and Asa-senpai doing something else other than taking care of Goh, even though they just got a call from him
(+-) I missed Drake's ship from AG with all it's glory, he had a crew and this helped to make his Elite Four portrait more majestic, but at least he mentioned the change here despite not having actually explained it
(+-) I'm really surprised Goh didn't catch that befriended Seadra
(+-) I thought we would see Drake's Salamence in the episode, but it's okay
(+-) ÜN ÜN ÜN

(-) Seeing Goh suddenly unsure at the beginning of the episode whether or not he can capture a Pokemon actually annoys me. It's Goh, of course he can. Project Mew still want to make these trial missions seem far more challenging and dangerous than they really are, with Goh already doing similar things many times in his daily adventures, fearlessly. And the mission turned out not to be all that big deal either, except maybe in the last few seconds
(-) Sharpedo's capture was way too silly
(-) When will we get at least some hint that Goh is actually in competition with someone other than Gary?

Pretty basic adventurous/research episode, helping Goh's character without blemishing Ash or some rare Pokémon - unless the offscreen issue and Goh's ridiculous captures are still bothering that much.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
I just noticed that. Kinda bizarre, but fitting.

Also, I'm slightly annoyed that they didn't made kingdra catchable in the games using that explanation. It would sure make it easier.

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
I haven't written a review in a while so I thought this would be a good opportunity.
(+) Like the preview Project Mew episode, this one had a sense of adventure. Something Journeys has been lacking is the journey itself, so it was nice to actually have an engaging plot.
(+) Writing was solid overall except for one part which I will get to later.
(+) Nice to see Drake return in a role that isn't fodder for Ash's PWC rank.
(+) Although short, I enjoyed the Kingdra battle and the tactics used throughout it. Not only that but the creativity employed throughout the rest of the episode such as using Dragonite's audio to lure Kingdra.
(+) Nice to see all the marine Pokemon living in the wild. It makes the world feel alive.
(+) That Dragon Breath rocket at the end was both hilarious and awesome!
(+) Goh did most of the work but Ash still felt relevant.
(+) Good to see both Ash and Goh's Pokemon being used, even if it was only for a bit. Something I've noticed with Yonemura's last few episodes is that Ash and Goh's Pokemon have been appearing more, which is seemingly being kept up in the next episode with at least Lucario and Inteleon being present.
(+) The soundtrack was on point, with even a few new tracks being played. All of the tracks fit the scene they were used in, and the new tracks are definitely an improvement over whatever "music" we had before.

(-) That Sharpedo capture was just plain stupid. A Pokemon like that should not be caught by accident. This also raises another issue with Goh's captures. If they don't feel the need to have him catch every Pokemon he sees like at the start of the series, why do they still give him dumb captures like Sharpedo and Camerupt a few episodes ago? If they have to let him catch something, why not a weak Pokemon?
(-) No AG flashback. Now, I don't have a problem with this in itself, but it exposes my hypocrisy in my criticisms of the Korrina PWC battle episode haha.
(-) Would have liked to see a bit more of what was going on with Regirock.

Additional thoughts:
- A lot of criticisms that I've seen of this and the last PM episode have been due to a misunderstanding of how the trial missions work. The trials aren't supposed to help find Mew, but to determine which participants make it to the final expedition, which is why none of them have to do with Mew.
- I don't have a problem with Inteleon learning Liquidation offscreen since this isn't anything new. Unlike Sobble, Inteleon has no issues with battles so I'm not surprised that he learned another move offscreen.
- Is it just me or did the animation feel slightly more fluid than usual? Nothing stood out besides the battle, but the animation overall seemed a bit more consistent for a non-battle episode compared to earlier in the year.
- There's been a definite improvement in storytelling on both an episodic and serialized level since around the Iris episode, and it continues to be on an upwards trend. This one was packed with events without feeling overcrowded (minus Regirock), and the added stakes made it engaging. Balancing exciting moments (maybe exciting is an overstatement) and downtime has been one of JN's biggest weaknesses, and it looks like that's starting to change.
- Drake the type of guy to not evolve his Shelgon.

Project Mew continues to deliver and I look forward to seeing what's next!

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
The only thing about this episode that felt odd was that Drake replaced his pirate ship with what looks like a tanker

D

Deleted member 384931

My main critisism is that this is another Water themed episode. Journeys has WAY too much of those. 7/10.