• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Trial Mission! Volcarona's Golden Scales!! (1169)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
As someone who hates Journeys, I have to say this was a great episode. By far my favourite episode of this series. Much better than whatever garbage the last Project Mew episode was.

First off, it was written quite well. Unlike the flashbacks and offscreen ranking up at the start of PWC episode, the exposition here showed us what happened between this and the last Project Mew episode and gave us some insight into Asahi and Tsurugi. Their task to look for the hunters incorporated them into the current plot naturally instead of just happening to be at the right place at the right time to save Ash and Goh. This episode also referenced JN014 and JN071 in a natural way by using them to further the current story. The highlight for me was how both Ash and Goh got to do something with Goh still getting the most focus but not at the expense of Ash. Inteleon and Dracovish showing up added so much in a series where main cast Pokemon barely get to show up. This episode was full of conflict, something that JN lacks, so that was nice to finally have some stakes. Otherwise, the tone was consistent, animation was better than usual, and we got a few new tracks that sounded like a huge upgrade from what we've previously heard.

My only issue is a minor nitpick that doesn't bring down the episode for me. At the end with the hunters, Ash and Goh could have been prepared to attack or started the battle before Asahi and Tsurugi showed up. It's not really a big issue since the boys only took one hit before they got saved so we don't know if they were struggling or not, but it would have been nice to know that they weren't going to be helpless if the bears didn't show up.

Overall, a very good Journeys episode and a good episode in general. I look forward to seeing where Project Mew goes next.
Pretty much encapsulated my thoughts! I have the same nitpick as well but doesn't bring down the episode for me either, and the fact that posts like the below one I quoted is stretching it so far is ridiculous. They were just hit once and before they had a chance to retaliate the bears showed up, and were cool as hell! I also really appreciate the inter continuity with the ninetales episode and ep14, esp since I was disappointed earlier ep14 didn't have Volcarona. There being such conflict and proper focus while Goh completed its job without the expense of Ash was nice as well. Seeing those dumb leaks being proven wrong so thoroughly was a cherry on the cake. Excited for what comes next, Project Mew has been really fun so far!
How was turning Ash and Go into idiots who forgot how pokemon worked "better"?
That scene never even implied that. Ash and Goh got hit once and before they could retaliate the bears showed up. It's a gross exaggeration of a scene that was meant to be an Urshifu showcase. No where did they 'forget' how Pokémon worked, but then again not surprised you're the one who posted this

Yce288

Grass type FTW
Regarding the Urshifu scene, something like that already happened before: episode 24 when the Matori Matrix attacked and Ash used his weaker Pokemon(Pikachu, Riolu and Farfetch'd)instead of using Dragonite and Gengar.
Go and Ash were about to defend themselves with Grookey and Pikachu, but for some reason they backed down.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I just realized that the writer's made a mistake

A Roggenrola was one-shotted by Inteleon

Aren't all Roggenrola supposed to have Sturdy as an ability? XD

Last edited:

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I just realised that the writer's made a mistake

A Roggenrola was one-shotted by Inteleon

Aren't all Roggenrola supposed to Have Sturdy as an ability? XD
I wouldn't say it was smeg up by the writers, it can be implied that the Roggenrola in question probably had Weak Armour for its ability, as the species was given a second regular ability from gen 7.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I wouldn't say it was smeg up by the writers, it can be implied that the Roggenrola in question probably had Weak Armour for its ability, as the species was given a second regular ability from gen 7.
Oh I wasn't aware Roggenrola got another ability in Gen 7.
Never mind then

BobbbidyBob

I liked the interaction between blue and red....the rest I got bored.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I have some mixed feelings on this episode.

There is a lot that I like about this episode. Overall, the plot was executed well and it didn't seem forced. We got to see Goh use his Pokemon effectively in and out of battle, and I though the captures were executed well. I also like the callback to the Alolan Ninetales and Flygon episodes earlier in the series. The main villain-of-the-day was designed well, and I liked the Indiana Jones-inspired design for this character.

And Ash used a Pokemon not named Pikachu for something.

The episode ending bugs me, though. I felt that this should have been Ash's time to shine, showcasing his team and battle experience. Instead, we got the Bears making quick work of the Pokemon Hunters.

I also feel like Goh is getting another free pass here, even though Tsurugi claimed they weren't rescuing them. They were only taking care of some Pokemon hunters. It seems too convenient, and I'm glad Goh commented on this in the episode.

Overall, though, this was an enjoyable episode. I hope we see more of Asahi. I'll admit that I'm becoming a big fan of that character and love the character design.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
This episode was fine. Goh battled Roggenrola and Ferrothorn before attempting to catch them which was nice. The boys sending out Inteleon, Krabby, and Unolalala to try to put out the fires was nice to see.

I didn't think the Urshifus saving the boys was needed. They should have sent out Dragonite and Flygon and things would have been fine.

Kungfu-Bear

As someone who hates Journeys, I have to say this was a great episode. By far my favourite episode of this series. Much better than whatever garbage the last Project Mew episode was.

First off, it was written quite well. Unlike the flashbacks and offscreen ranking up at the start of PWC episode, the exposition here showed us what happened between this and the last Project Mew episode and gave us some insight into Asahi and Tsurugi. Their task to look for the hunters incorporated them into the current plot naturally instead of just happening to be at the right place at the right time to save Ash and Goh. This episode also referenced JN014 and JN071 in a natural way by using them to further the current story. The highlight for me was how both Ash and Goh got to do something with Goh still getting the most focus but not at the expense of Ash. Inteleon and Dracovish showing up added so much in a series where main cast Pokemon barely get to show up. This episode was full of conflict, something that JN lacks, so that was nice to finally have some stakes. Otherwise, the tone was consistent, animation was better than usual, and we got a few new tracks that sounded like a huge upgrade from what we've previously heard.

My only issue is a minor nitpick that doesn't bring down the episode for me. At the end with the hunters, Ash and Goh could have been prepared to attack or started the battle before Asahi and Tsurugi showed up. It's not really a big issue since the boys only took one hit before they got saved so we don't know if they were struggling or not, but it would have been nice to know that they weren't going to be helpless if the bears didn't show up.

Overall, a very good Journeys episode and a good episode in general. I look forward to seeing where Project Mew goes next.
I'm a critic of Journeys as well and I was surprised how congruent and well cared everything was during this ep, at least until the unnecessary Legendary flex at the end. Even though Tsurugi said they were only there to capture the hunters, and he and Asahi arrived before Ash start to battle, I remember Goh still implying that the rescue was necessary. So this sequence as cool as it was not only may once more made Ash look weaker than he is (since Ash and Goh has no problem fighting fully-evolved mon from TRio's gacha for instance) but also wasted the need and presence of the Legendary duo as well as Asahi/Tsurugi on some generic grunts as others here have pointed out.

I think a simple way to alleviate the problem would be if staff added a lot more Hunters in this scene, but it seems the animators wanted to be frugal. Asahi and Tsurugi could as well have just sent Azumarill and Weavile and still would have no problem beating the hunters (and personally I think these two would fit as their 'Pokémon-signature' much better than the bears). Instead they brought 2 bazookas to kill 4 mosquitoes?
It even looks like the staff did this just to promote plushes or something, but again, I don't think it ruined an episode that was so solid until this point either, it was an improvement over EP71 IMO so let's just see if they keep refining and the next trials will bring something more exciting and different than something Goh kind of already does for Sakuragi's Lab.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Finally watched. Much better than the first PM episode.
+Inteleon & Dracovish (and Krabby) get to appear. Inteleon especially gave off Indiana Jones vibes with the minecart.
+Continuity with the Desert Resort and the Leader.
+Slightly more insight into Tsurugi and Asahi. I wonder what’s the former’s history with Pokémon Hunters.
+Seeing Volcarona again.
+Goh acknowledges his tendency to be saved by others. Not much of an issue for me but it could lead to interesting development

My few gripes aren’t major (why did they just trust this guy? Why didn’t they get ready to act as soon as they saw him again?) and don’t take away from my view on the episode which is rare. Overall great episode and makes more excited to see where PM ends up. 9/10

Thesnowmander11

Cool episode although i stopped wtaching like 5 minutes of it but later i completed that episode. I think it’s cool that goh caught a shiny

DuskAstral

The episode ending bugs me, though. I felt that this should have been Ash's time to shine, showcasing his team and battle experience.
I do not agree with that. It was an episode dedicated to Gou, so it would be incorrect for Satoshi to take in the spotlight here. I believe that Satoshi should only shine in the episodes devoted to himself.

masdog

I do not agree with that. It was an episode dedicated to Gou, so it would be incorrect for Satoshi to take in the spotlight here. I believe that Satoshi should only shine in the episodes devoted to himself.
Ok. Maybe “Time to Shine” is too strong of a phrase. But it felt weird that Ash would sit back in this situation and not contribute to the battle.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I haven’t seen this yet. Goh got a shiny Volcarona? Geez! I have nothing against the kid’s personality and friendships, but he’s becoming (is?) a total Gary Stu!
Chloe should’ve gotten the Volcarona.

masdog

I haven’t seen this yet. Goh got a shiny Volcarona? Geez! I have nothing against the kid’s personality and friendships, but he’s becoming (is?) a total Gary Stu!
Chloe should’ve gotten the Volcarona.
No one caught the shiny Volcarona.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
No one caught the shiny Volcarona.
Ah, cool. Thanks for letting me know. There’s so much misinformation in the world. Why do people post misinformation about anime, of all things?…