• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Trick Room team (Singles)

Shiny Arcanine Trainer

So I've finally bred my first Trick Room team. I've been using a couple on Showdown for a while but I got the game last week & I'm now ready to EV my team, but I want to make sure I get the best spread possible. I've had pretty good success with TR (not necessarily this exact team, it's a mixture of the two I used), so I'm hoping it'll do well on Wi-Fi. Just looking for advice/tips/critique especially with the EV spreads, that's the main thing I want to nail down.

I don't believe that there's any time at all to be wasting turns setting up in Trick Room, so both sweepers & all of my setters (bar the suicide lead) are built to hit as hard as possible. The setters have some bulk to help them set up TR on turns that it's not in effect, but essentially this team is all about brute strength under Trick Room.

Carbink @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Toxic

Extremely good suicide lead for me. Sturdy ensures I set up TR. Mental Herb ensures Taunters don't stop me either. Only thing I can think that would stop it is Fake Out, but that's not common enough to be a worry, & I have enough defences to tank another hit & set it up anyway. Stealth Rock for obvious reasons, Explosion for a safe switch-in, & Toxic just to cripple threats. EVs are just to help it take hits & maybe help to bring it in later in the game if I don't need to sac it.

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Boomburst
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

One of my favourite mons, & now an absolute beast thanks to STAB Boomburst. Lost count of the amount of matches he's OHKO'd 2-3 opponents. Out of dozens of battles, I've used the coverage moves very rarely, & that's only to stop it being walled by Steels & Rocks. Thanks to Scrappy, I don't get walled by Ghosts either.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Very bulky setter, it can take a hit & set up TR on the turn it's not in effect, & max SAtk EVs to let it hit as hard as it can. Good coverage with it's attacking moves to hit a range of opponents. Very reliable.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake/Will-O-Wisp
- Horn Leech

Another setter, maybe the weakest of them, but in certain situations it's helped out a lot. Sitrus Berry for recovery along with Harvest. Shadow Claw over Phantom Force because I don't have space for a Power Herb, even though hitting through Protect is awesome. Horn Leech for STAB & more recovery. Earthquake is a good coverage move, but WOW can cripple physical attackers, but I'm not sure what's the better to use. Temped to go with Earthquake just because of the 'hit as hard as you can' policy of the team.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

Such a beast in TR. Play Rough & Iron Head are reliable STABS, Sucker Punch has got me out of tricky situations on many occasions. Fire Fang helps to cover Steels that would wall me otherwise. Intimidating before I go Mega is really useful as well. Definitely the best Mega for TR.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

Another bulky setter that can hit hard, & Regenerator helps with the longevity. I'm going to breed the same thing but with Oblivious so I'm not affected by Taunts, but I've generally found that once people see Carbink shrug off a Taunt, they don't use it against me again, either because I've already KO'd their Taunter by the time Slowbro comes in, or they think it's got Oblivious. Usually run this with Life Orb, but Reuniclus already has one so Leftovers to take advantage of Regenerator.

I'm aware of the massive Bug, Dark & Ghost weakness to my team, but it honestly hasn't caused that many problems for me. If it's not STAB, I can tank the hit, set up TR & proceed to take down anyone who threatens me. Priority is of course a threat, but most Priority users can be tanked, & then OHKO'd if I play right.

I have other mons that I'm yet to breed that I've been using: FEAR Smeargle, Malamar (will go straight into my team once I breed one, perhaps for Trevenant), Guts Ursaring, Ampharos (as an alternative Mega), Bronzong, Aegislash & Ferrothorn. But this is the team I will be using for now, because it's the first 6 that I was able to breed from my pool of TR mons.

Last edited:

jpag006

Is a very nice team,but what you will do against another ghost (like aegilash or chandelure) that work well with trick room?
FOr example sacred sword hit on exploud, shadow sneak hit to reninculus and treavant

CaptainSteve

On indefinite hiatus
Only thing I can think that would stop it is Fake Out, but that's not common enough to be a worry, & I have enough defences to tank another hit & set it up anyway

Be careful what you ask for. Fake Out may not be popular, but it exists enough for you to have to be wary of it existing. I don't doubt that you can set up with it, but in reality, you don't want someone Faking you Out and then you getting set up on. The moment your Sturdy is broken, it won't matter one little bit how bulky you are if TTar is DDancing up on you or someone is Cursing. Be careful is what I'm saying.