• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Trick Room Triple Battle team

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
I'll preface this for clarity: I'm NOT a super competitive battler; I'd always much rather battle casually. But I have turned into a fairly competitive trader, so I have a bunch of pokemon to use, and I like to battle on the Nintendo Wi-Fi. I'm trying to field a competitive team to use on there for maximum success even though I have no intentions of entering tournaments or anything like that. And, really, all I like doing are Triple Battles because the Single Battles seem way too difficult and monotonous for my taste. I hope that's okay. Anyway, here's my team:

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP; 100 DEF; 158 SpDEF
Nature: Sassy (31/31/31/31/31/0)
- Baton Pass
- Barrier
- Calm Mind
- Psychic

-Musharna is a pokemon I'd LIKE to lead off with, but I just don't find a spot for him in my lead off trio (Dusclops/Azelf/Ferrothorn). The idea is to come out with Musharna, Barrier and Calm Mind until I feel comfortable, and then Passing off the boosted stats to Slowbro (or Spiritomb as a backup). I almost never use Psychic, but it's there in case I do ever need to attack. I also feel like Musharna has a GREAT ability that my team does not take advantage of.

EDIT: I've sampled a bit with leading off with Musharna instead of Ferrothorn, and I really like the results. I might bump 'Thorn off the team entirely.

EDIT EDIT: I have started leading with Musharna/Azelf/Dusclops and I have dumped Ferrothorn entirely.

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 DEF; 254 SpDEF, 4 HP
- Trick Room
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade

-'Clops is my primary Trick Room user off my lead. After using TR, I generally hit the two opponents on his side with Will O Wisp while using Pain Split to keep his health high (Pain Split is also why I didn't EV him for HP almost at all). I used to have Hex as his fourth move, but I thought Night Shade might be more reliable.

EDIT: I generally really like 'Clops, but could use a more consistent attack move. Night Shade hasn't been BAD, but...it could be better (even though I use his other three moves more frequently)

Spiritomb @ Shell Bell
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 DEF; 254 SPDef; 4 HP
Nature: Relaxed (31/31/31/31/31/0)
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Pain Split

-Another Pain Splitter, so the no real HP training. I went with Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch so even if TR wears off, Spiritomb can still strick before the opponent while I'm setting it back up. Dark Pulse is there to take advantage of flinching while TR is up and Tomb is moving before the opponent. I'm not sure about Shell Bell; but I couldn't think of a better item (I originally had Red Card on it until I figured out it only worked once per battle).

EDIT: I'm generally really happy with Spiritomb,

Bronzong @ (I forget, I'll edit this when I check later)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpDEF; 180 DEF; 78 HP
Nature: Brave (31/31/31/31/31/0)
- Extrasensory
- Trick Room
- Iron Defense
- Heavy Slam

EDIT: Bronzong replaced Ferrothorn in my lineup after I got tired of Ferrothorn getting one-or-two hit killed by fire types almost every single battle. It adds a third TR user in case I need it, and Extrasensory provides a nice flinch option. Bronzong's not a bad Baton Pass option, either, because it would then come out with BEASTLY defense and only one weakness.

Slowbro @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 DEF; 170 SPATK; 88 SPDEF
Nature: Quiet (31/31/31/31/31/0)
- Scald
- Heal Pulse
- Slack Off
- Trick Room.

-Slowbro is my backup Trick Room user after Dusclops. I very seldomly bring out 'Bro anyway except Baton Passing to him from Musharna after I've boosted DEF, SPATK, and SPDEF. Scald comes out pretty powerful, and he has substantial bulk to survive hits while acting as my team healer with Pulse and Slack Off.

EDIT: No problems I've yet noticed here, except that if I don't bring it out by Baton Pass, it's kind of underwhelming. But not bad.

Azelf @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP; 252 Speed; 6 SPATK
Nature: Timid (Flawless)
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Taunt

-EDIT: Speedy Azelf is here pretty much to set up screens before it dies. I originally had a Mesprit here, but decided I needed something that could Taunt. Initially I switched to Whimsicott, but despite the awesomeness of Prankster with this team, I really wanted something that could use BOTH screens AND Taunt. Azelf comes out in the middle opening spot, uses whichever Screen or Taunt is most relevant, and then hopes to stay alive long enough to do the others. If not, no big deal. It served its opening turn purpose.

---

I also have a few other options that I've trained, but have not made the main roster yet. Here they are:

Steelix @ [nothing yet, he's in my box]
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 254 DEF; 252 SpDef; 4 HP
Nature: Sassy (31/31/31/5/31/0)
- Curse
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

-I used to use this Steelix in a Sandstorm team, but I have not found a place for it in my Trick Room team yet, even with Curse. I was thinking of maybe replacing Gyro Ball or Stone Edge with Earthquake and then using him with Musharna's Telepathy ability, but so far I just haven't figure out what to replace him with.

Slowking @ [nothing yet]
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpDEF; 194 SpATK; 64 HP
Nature: Quiet (31/31/31/31/31/0)
- Psychic
- Yawn
- Nasty Plot
- Surf

-I was between this and Slowbro for Slowbro's role on the team as Musharna's primary Baton Pass user, and I went with Slowbro because I liked the healing moveset I gave him better than Slowking's offensive moveset. But still...bringing out a Slowking that has been Barrier and Calm Mind increased and then watching him Nasty Plot, too...it seems devastating.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 DEF; 254 SPDEF; 4 HP
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Ingrain
- Iron Head

-Ferrothorn was originally on my team, but after getting demoted twice (once from my starting trio, and then from the team altogether), it is now in my box as a side option. It was just dying WAY too easily to any of the billions of fire types I came across regularly. My team doesn't tend to OHKO very often, so I found the Stealth Rock wasn't a big difference anyway.

I also have some other more tricky options I was considering using (Dragonite with ExtremeSpeed and Metagross with Bullet Punch so they can still attack first under Trick Room, but I'm not sure they are worth mentioning in too much depth (though I can if anyone wants to see them to tell me more). Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

EDIT: I initially had a Mesprit in Azelf's spot, but I really wanted something that could Taunt so I could stop Whirlwind/Roar/Taunt/etc on my 'Clops. I removed Mesprit and then went to a Prankster Whimsicott (Leech Seed/Taunt/Light Screen/Toxic). It was nice, but there were times where I REALLY missed having the option of using Reflect. So I went with Azelf, who was the fastest thing I could find that could use both Screens AND Taunt.

Problems I've encountered thus far:

-Anything that starts out with a Taunter/Whirlwinder AND a Fake Out user. I can counter this if I think I see it by starting with Dusclops/Azelf/Slowbro so both my TR users are present, but I hate bringing out Slowbro unboosted.

-Things that are just hyper offensive opening turn. My team is REALLY slow to start dealing offense, so things that are fast and vicious can start wiping me out before I can set up (especially if they are Special/Physical varied and/or I misread a need for Taunt and don't get a Screen set up). I often lose my Ferrothorn and Azelf well before any relevant damage has been done to my opponent. My team picks up heavily in intensity when Musharna/Slowbrow/Spiritomb hit the field, but by then, I'm already disadvantaged.

Last edited:

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
I edited my team a bit based on my playing experiences (replaced Mesprit with Whimsicott and then with Azelf; edited in some of my findings). Still looking for some valuable advice from you guys, though.

GreatGonzales

The Master
How the hell did you get these Pokemon over the GTS?

I would absolutely swap slowking for Reuniclus. It's better on a trick room team, with it's blistering TR speed, overwhelming bulk and special attack, not to mention its access to magic guard.

On spiritomb just use leftovers. I don't know if it's a good idea keeping it and dusclops, they're sort of redundant. I would get rid of spiritomb.

You may not like ferrothorn that much, but it looks good. For all you know, those SR switch-ins could get you a 2HKO, the only thing I'm not sure about is leech seed.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
How the hell did you get these Pokemon over the GTS?

I would absolutely swap slowking for Reuniclus. It's better on a trick room team, with it's blistering TR speed, overwhelming bulk and special attack, not to mention its access to magic guard.

On spiritomb just use leftovers. I don't know if it's a good idea keeping it and dusclops, they're sort of redundant. I would get rid of spiritomb.

You may not like ferrothorn that much, but it looks good. For all you know, those SR switch-ins could get you a 2HKO, the only thing I'm not sure about is leech seed.

I don't get what you mean by how did I get these? :)

I actually removed Ferrothorn a few days ago and started using Bronzong. That way I can lead off with Musharna like I have been wanting to, and I can even Baton Pass to Bronzong to make its Extrasensory more powerful.

I don't have a Reuniclus with a 0 in speed. :( I think the only one I have is pure flawless. Would that be workable? If I used Reuniclus, what moveset/item would you recommend?

I kind of dig Spiritomb. It can Sucker Punch a Typhlosion or Jellicent that wants to Eruption or Water Spout me. I might be willing to drop Bronzong, though. If I gave Spiritomb the Leftovers, what would you recommend for Musharna's item?

Oh, and I edited my team to reflect the Bronzong change.

Last edited: