• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tricks Of The Trade! (148)

JudySpell

Banned
Goodbye Lickitung. I liked it but it didn't do much while at least Wobbuffet got involved in funny moments every now and then. 7/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
The pokemon swap meet was such a cool idea except I was a little sad that Jessie's Lickitung got traded away so suddenly without a proper farewell. I did like how Ash used his Tauros and won the competition however. :)

Gillachu

Banned
Jessie accidentally trading Lickitung was Johto's biggest wtf moment. I loathed that she got Wobbuffet, which hardly did anything...

DatsRight

"They gotta lot of nerve coming out here and trying to deprive us of Pokemon we put so much work into stealing!"
"How dare they!"

Team Rocket appeals to their leather pants fandom. XD

I guess it should be brought up that Wobbafett is only of Team Rocket's Pokemon to win against the twerps since "Ash catches a Pokemon".

Likitung defeated THREE of the twerp's Pokemon in it's debut (and one of them was Pikachu). Meowth also defeated Brock's Onix in "Who Gets To Keep Togepi?", if through cheating somewhat.

Did anyone notice how...depressed Wobba seemed to be when he was tagging along with Benny, and when it ended up with Team Rocket it seemed to open up and become much happier? And as he was about to be traded, Wobba seemed to put on a smile and let out an elated 'Wobb!'. Maybe I'm just reading into it much, but sometimes I wonder if Benny mistreated Wobbuffet as it certainly didn't seem all too happy being with him x.x;

There's some fridge brilliance keeping in mind Benny was so adamant on getting rid of him. Not to mention the twerps helped him lose Wobbuffet and after they succeed, they attack him under the assumption he's some strange Pokemon who can't fight back. No wonder he likes being with the trio who torment them all the time. XD

It's hard to hate Wobbuffet. Though he started off a bit superfluous, he's grown into a memorable character over the years (and possibly Jessie's most versatile Pokemon after Meowth). Now remember kiddies, the likes of us had never seen this strange blue blob with the trio before.

While it was shame Likitung was disposed of (especially after such a sparse run) it was hard to get that attached to him. You could tell which TR Pokemon had the least personality since they had pretty unceremonious exits. Neither Jessie or Likitung seemed to care much that they were separated. Compare that to when it seemed like Pumpkaboo was getting traded. Unlike Likitung, Wobbuffet is practically the fourth member of the trio and refuses to stay confined to his ball and forgotten about like Likitung did (not to mention how he compliments so much of the trio's hard luck in the Japanese version).

The ending set things up perfectly. They were stuck with that blob forever now (I kinda like how James mustered up a smile though, he could grow to like him).

That's the way it is, Jessie.
AGHHHHHHH!!!!

Last edited:
Wobby joined Jessie which was a huge moment for Team Rocket, but I would have liked if Wobby had done more in Johto than just use Counter.

UmbrionKnight

Lickitung is my least favorite pokemon, heracross is also a least favorite, and Wobbuffet is obviously my favorite pokemon, so you can guess how much I love this episode. :D It may be only my *second*-favorite episode, but it still is one of the greatest episodes featuring lineup changes. Plus, I LOVE Wobbuffet!!! :D

I can't believe you don't like Lickitung! I love Wobbuffet, as well as Heracross. This episode was good because we get to see more Wobbuffet. I also love that the Magikarp man made another appearance.

Last edited:

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Yuck, the first appearance of Jessie's Wobbuffet happened in this episode. But it was nice to see one of Ash's Tauros get used again, even if it is just for a few minutes. As for Lickitung, it was nice to see it go.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Teru's Sonansu getting traded with Musashi's Beroringa has always made me feel a little dejected since neither Pokemon got a say in the matter. I liked the trade festival, though. Everything was so lively, especially the town's Kentauros race and tournament. I think Satoshi should've traded his own Kentauros.

ZilverLox

Banned
To me the only good thing in this episode was Wobbuffet joining Team Rocket, but I don't think Jessie's Lickitung should have been kicked out of TR. Instead Jessie should've trade her Arbok. It's terrible how she didn't even feel sad when Lickitung was swapped, either. Ash was such a fool here too. He had lots of Tauros and he didn't trade anyone, and that Tauros race was silly.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Instead Jessie should've trade her Arbok. It's terrible how she didn't even feel sad when Lickitung was swapped, either.

Jessie wouldn't have traded her Arbok regardless however cuz she cherished it, whereas her Lickitung and her hadn't bonded as much. And in Jessie's defense, she didn't have much time to regret the trade here any ways cuz of the fast pace of the episode.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Jessie swapping Lickitung for Wobbuffet, though accidental, did make more sense than her swapping Arbok tbh.

Ash was such a fool here too. He had lots of Tauros and he didn't trade anyone, and that Tauros race was silly.

Lol, that's a good point. I don't know why Ash let that chance slip away.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Lol, that's a good point. I don't know why Ash let that chance slip away.

Ash was apparently too attached to his herd of Tauros, so I can understand why he didn't accept any of the trade offers that he received here after winning the tourney. It just wouldn't have been like him to agree to trading his Pokemon.

DatsRight

Ash was apparently too attached to his herd of Tauros, so I can understand why he didn't accept any of the trade offers that he received here after winning the tourney. It just wouldn't have been like him to agree to trading his Pokemon.

Also as shown in Sun/Moon, Ash doesn't have the heart to separate close families of Pokemon.

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode. Cool to see Jessie getting Benny's Wobbuffet in exchange for Lickitung. Wobbuffet continues to be hilarious throughout the anime. Good Pokémon for Jessie to have. Also nice to see Ash win the Tauros competition. The Magikarp salesman is at it again, and he just loves to try to swindle off James.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Thinking back, I wish that Musashi had been given a chance to truly grieve for Beroringa. The trade wasn't Musashi's decision, so you'd think that she'd spend more time agonizing over the situation. Also, I'm puzzled about why Teru wanted to swap his Sonansu in the first place since Sonansu seemed so strong.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Jessie getting the kid's Wobbuffet in exchange for Lickitung was so messed up. Jessie didn't love Lickitung sure, but she still didn't deserve Wobbuffet.

Zyar

Unknown Member
Thinking back, I wish that Musashi had been given a chance to truly grieve for Beroringa. The trade wasn't Musashi's decision, so you'd think that she'd spend more time agonizing over the situation. Also, I'm puzzled about why Teru wanted to swap his Sonansu in the first place since Sonansu seemed so strong.

I wished everyone (Ash and his friends or Team Rocket) would get an episode at least to grieve after they release a Pokémon. Like James did after he released Cacnea, but, with Pokémon being a children's anime, we don't see such a topic being touch upon so often.

Still, I do like to think Jessie's reaction right after Wobbuffet came out of the Pokéball and when they were hanging on that branch (when she was holding her head and moaning out of frustration) was partly because she had unknowingly traded Lickitung away. But I still strongly support the trade happened lol Lickitung was such an ugly and blank Pokémon, but he was useful in being replaced by the legendary Wobbuffet :)

And yeah, Benny's reason to trade Wobbuffet didn't sit well with me. He said he loved Wobbuffet but wanted to raise a different Pokémon to see what it was like? Wut? Poor, poor Wobbuffet; Benny didn't deserve you.