• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tricky Tricky :OU RMT

shiny bagon

<- OH **** YEA!!!!!
So I always found Trick Room to be very interesting, and always wanted to make a team using it(also all the kick a** pokemon are somewhat slow). So with the metagame being all about speed nothing can be prepared for a Trick Room team... except another Trick Room team.

At A Glance:
bronzong.png
sprite.php
gallade-m.png
sprite.php
474.png
464_rhyperior_1_m.png

In Depth​

437.png

Bronzong@Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
Ev's: 252Hp/152Attack/8Defense/96SpD
Moves
Trick Room
Gyro Ball
Stealth Rock
Explosion

My first Trick room set-up guy. Its pretty simply either TR first or Reflect/Light Screen first then TR. Then depending on the Pokemon I either Explode or use Gyro Ball which does insane damage. Leftovers for constant Hp gain and a possible 2 TR's he can setup. Evs are smogon standard which I dont like using but it works.

463.png

Lickilicky@Leftovers
Ev's: 252Hp/116Att/64Def/78SpD
Moves
Belly Drum
Return
Earthquake
Power Whip

Originally this was Octillery but I wanted to try out a BD Lickilicky and it sounds gimicky but it works extremly well. Licki has very good defensive stats and a pretty good offense as well. If TR is up and I use BD then it is almost an auto KO for the remaining turns of TR. I am also considering changing the Nature and Ev's and possibly taking out Rhyperior instead of Octillery.

475.png

Gallade@Leftovers
Nature: Brave
Ev's: 220Att/172Hp/116Def
Moves
Trick Room
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Psycho Cut

This is my second TR set up man and the mvp (Most Valuable Pokemon) of the team. When there is one turn of TR left I send him out and use bulk up, then TR again then either Bulk up or drain punch. He is my most durable TR set upper and after around 3-4 bulk ups he is unstoppable. Also having TR at his use not only makes him "faster" but automatically makes him go first. This set is just a Bulk up Drain Punch set with TR.

477.png

Dusknoir@Leftovers
Ev's 252Hp/196Def/56SpD
Moves
Pain Split
Trick Room
Fire Punch
Shadow Sneak

My Final TR setupper. He is used to support the team with TR. Pain Split is a great move for him and I like him with Fire Punch for Skarmory and Shadow Sneak for Gengar. Ev's are rather standard, which I generally dont like but whatever.

474.png

Porygon-Z@Life Orb
Nature:Quiet
Ev's: 252SpA/164Hp/46Def/46SpD
Moves
Tri Attack
Dark Pulse
Hp Fighting
Nasty Plot

One of the sweepers of the team, he has always been criticized for his speed so TR fits pretty well for him. It's ability is Download as I like the SpA boost making me directly attack with out using NP. Evs I took his speed Evs and made them into Hp Def and SpD.

464.png

Rhyperior@Life Orb
Nature:Brave
Ev's: 248Hp/252Att/8Def
Moves
Swords Dance
EQ
Stone Edge
Megahorn

My physical sweeper.With its defensive stat being so high I can get off a SD during TR and then destroy the enemy's team for the turns of TR. Everything about the set is standard and he works so well with TR in effect, practically unstoppable.

So this is my first TR team some problems are Roar and Taunt pokemon like Aero,and Swampert. I was thinking of putting in Lickilicky with Belly Drum and maybe a Slowking, I might try them both out in place of Porygon-Z and maybe Rhyperior or Octillery. Any advice is welcome.

Changes in bold.

Last edited:

dragontamer98

Modern Genocide
Gengar OHKO's this entire team.

Actually, since TR is up, Duskinoir can Shadow Punch Gengar and OHKO. Gengar's high speed is also a disadvantage to him/her against a Trick Room Team.
Gallade can also Pyscho Cut and doesn't take a supereffective hit

You have a nice start so far. But 3 of your Pokemon have Leftovers, and two have Life Orb, and many people play with Item Clause, meaning this isn't allowed. Camerupt can replace PorygonZ and add some much need Fire coverage. Camerupt, however, brings a 4x Water and 2x Ground weakness. But Solid Rock can help this, and Octillery and Gallade can switch into these moves. A moveset I suggest for Camerupt is this:

Camerupt@Shell Bell
Ability:Solid Rock
EVs:4 HP/ 252 Attack/ 252 SpA
-Earth Power
-Earthquake
-Eruption
-Lava Plume/ Flamethrower/ Fire Blast

I was actually planning a Trick Room team myself, and this was the set I came up with. Earth Power and Earthquake are your two STAB when Eruption gets low, as well as hitting from both ends of the attacking spectrum. Lava Plume can be used if Camerupt is replacing Duskinior. Otherwise, Flamethrower and Fire Blast are your options.
Of course, this is my custom set, so you could opt for the RestTalk strategy to keep Eruption's power high, in which case I recommend considering Snore.

Also, Gallade can be replaced by Machamp. Machamp can play the same role with more Attack power and more HP, as well as less Speed, achieving a minimal 103 Speed. Gallade has SpD over Machamp, but is outclassed by Duskinior. A moveset for Machamp would be:

Machamp@Expert Belt
Ability:No Guard
EVs:252 HP/ 252 Attack/ 4 Defence
-Bulk Up
-Dynamic Punch
-Thunderpunch
-Ice Punch
This set is from Smogon. Payback won't be neccessary because of Trick Room and Stone Edge is covered by Rhyperior. Machamp laughs at any Flying-types that try to get in the way. Thunderpunch can stop Waters if Energy Ball is not enough. It is always nice to say that you have coverage over Dragonite and Flygon, along with any other Dragons you might run into along the way.
some problems are Roar

Not if Octillery has Suction Cups. As long as Octillery gets rid of the Psuedo-hazer, Rhyperior and Gallade/Machamp have nothing to worry about.

SlowBRO could probably replace PorygonZ because of high Defence could be useful since Rhyperior doesn't operate as a wall. Slowking can, however, Curse, and the Speed drop would be helpful to ensure first move during Trick Room.

Last, comment, you may want to consider Macho Brace on Bronzong for the same reasons as Curse on Slowking and to boost Gyro Ball.

Good Luck with the Team!

Actually, since TR is up, Duskinoir can Shadow Punch Gengar and OHKO. Gengar's high speed is also a disadvantage to him/her against a Trick Room Team.
Gallade can also Pyscho Cut and doesn't take a supereffective hit

You can't guarantee the Trick Room will be up when Gengar is out. Given the number of leads which carry Taunt its likely Bronzong won't be able to set it up early which could lead to an easy sweep if Gengar comes out. Gengar's speed is just as much of an advantage here as it is against any other team especially when he has no emergency Scarf user or priority attacks which are used on the more successful TR teams, which means if TR isn't up he is wrecked by more than just Gengar. Changing one of his moves on Gallade or Dusknoir to Shadow Sneak would be helpful to nail Gengar as well as providing priority for other uses. Also Gallade takes SE damage from Shadow Ball...Fighting doesn't resist Ghost.

shiny bagon

<- OH **** YEA!!!!!
Wow thanks for the posts guys. Dragon Tamer I will put suction cups on octillery, while the Machamp set is good I am not changing Gallade at all, and the Camerupt is kinda odd so idk about him instead of Porygon-Z though one of the "slows" is a possibility and I am gonna try testing the Lickilicky over either Rhyperior or Porygon-Z. Also I am gonna put Shadow Sneak on Dusknoir but over Shadow Punch or WoW? Once again thanks for the help keep the advice coming.

sqwat500

Fire Trainer
I recently Made A Trick Room Team And Found That Porygon-2 Worked Better Than Porygon-z Because Of More Bulk And Less Speed. You Already Have Three Trick Room Starters But I Used This Set:
Porygon-2 At Life Orb
252 Hp/ 120 Defense/ 136 SpA
Ice Beam
Thunder Bolt
Trick Room
Recover

sqwat500

Fire Trainer
I recently Made A Trick Room Team And Found That Porygon-2 Worked Better Than Porygon-z Because Of More Bulk And Less Speed. You Already Have Three Trick Room Starters But I Used This Set:
Porygon-2 At Life Orb
252 Hp/ 120 Defense/ 136 SpA
Ice Beam
Thunder Bolt
Trick Room
Recover

xLilith

Genesis
Well, if you're doing Standard Battles, you wouldn't have to abide by Item Clause, so it really isn't a problem.

SD Nape and LO Starmie definitely gives you trouble when TR is off, so try maybe Cresselia over Dusknoir.

Cresselia @ Lefties
Bold; 252 HP/ 252 Defense
Levitate

~Trick Room
~Toxic
~Psychic
~Moonlight / Charge Beam

It does resist at least Nape's Close Combat/Mach Punch, so try to catch it on the switch, so you'll be able to KO with Psychic even if it uses a boosted Flare Blitz, and can even even KO Starmie as well providing SR and a few turns of LO recoil.

Also, try SR > Screens on Bronzong, your walls are bulky enough to take hits and still set up, plus the SR damage could help get you more OHKO's.

~
C:

Last edited:

shiny bagon

<- OH **** YEA!!!!!
I might try SR over screens but recently i have been TR then explosion so I may not set it up but I like it better. Also I havent had much trouble from those two pokemon probally cause I had TR in effect Thanks for the post

xLilith

Genesis
Yeah, I realize that they don't really give you any trouble, however if TR isn't up, I'm just saying they could sweep your team.

Nice team, though c:

shiny bagon

<- OH **** YEA!!!!!
yeah if TR isn't up then I'm in trouble, thanks for the kind words :), also I made some changes I shall update the OP.

Toxicano

Lord of Shuckles
Octillery would have been better than Rhyperior, in my opinion. You have more than enough Physical attackers, and Octillery can deal a whole **** mess of damage if used correctly.

Also, for Trickilicky, I've used the Belly Drum set before. I'd suggest a Sitrus Berry to replace the Leftovers, so that when it brings it's HP down by half, it heals a good deal to avoid being slaughtered as soon as BD is used. Sure, it doesn't get the constant recovery, but I find it still works better for surviving that first turn.

shiny bagon

<- OH **** YEA!!!!!
Interesting I never thought about that I'll test it out and see if their is a significant difference between sitrus and leftovers.Also what Ev's did you have on your TrickLicki set?