• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Triple Leaders, Team Threats! (664)

Chimchar15

I'm watching the sub version right now so I'll edit my post when I get to the part(Maybe 10 mins or so.)

Alright, what happened was what I expected, a lead up for the next episode. Giovanni was giving Jessie, James, and Meowth their next mission to head to Dream Site(I think it's also the Abandoned lot of dreams) and get the energy that's there that can turn dreams into reality and make Team Rocket's goal for World Domination a reality.

And, the thing on the computer was a draft Giovanni sent Jessie, James, and Meowth about what Mecha they need to do their mission.

I wish more people could realize this. Sadly it seems too much work for people to think about what happened in the battle, even though it takes less then 5 minutes to figure out what the writers did.

After watching the sub version, it's even clearly stated by Koon that his countermeasures against Electric moves are perfect(And he should just that). Pikachu lost with a reasonable battle. It's Electric moves didn't hit at all, none of it's attacks did. Pikachu had the type advantage but as the show has shown, that doesn't mean you'll win. Know what's happening goes a long way really, so everyone who's making a big deal about Pikachu losing to a Water Pokemon should watch the sub version or at less think why it lost because it lost with a good reason.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, the way the Gym works is you pick one person to battle, although Ash wanted to battle all three, so the rules in his battle is that he has to win two out of three battles, I'm sure most people figured that out but just in case you didn't there it is.

Ok thanks. I guessed that's how the gym worked but I just needed to be sure. That's actually pretty cool how you can choose which one to battle. Also I totally agree about Pikachu losing. Koon had a good strategy and it was a good battle. I have to watch the subbed version when I get home.

raz1337

Miju Miju!
I just saw the subbed version too. I'm not sure yet if I like this serious TR. I like it, but I wish there was a better transition. It's like, all of a sudden they go from useless to talking to Giovanni and getting top secret orders each episode.

I'm getting annoyed by Iris constantly putting down Ash and calling him a kid. Hopefully her opinion of him drastically changes soon. If she saw the 25+ Pokemon and 30 Tauros he has back at Oak's, she'd change her view completely.

gliscor&yanmega

Ok thanks. I guessed that's how the gym worked but I just needed to be sure. That's actually pretty cool how you can choose which one to battle. Also I totally agree about Pikachu losing. Koon had a good strategy and it was a good battle. I have to watch the subbed version when I get home.

No problem, I know how annoying it is to watch something and not know what's going on(Did that for the whole Sinnoh region) but now I find subs of Pokemon so I might as well help people know what's going on just in case they're wondering.

I figured before the episode aired that you would get to choose who to battle, I didn't see how they would be able to use the in-game way 100% but they managed to do it in a slight different way. In-game you battle one who has a type advantage over your stater(In a way you can choose who you want to battle by picking the right starter(Although I doubt most people care and will choose the starter they want to play with)) and in the anime you just pick one to battle, not 100% the same but it's similar nonetheless. Not surprise that Ash wanted to battle all three though, although I don't see why that's just not the case anyways.

I just saw the subbed version too. I'm not sure yet if I like this serious TR. I like it, but I wish there was a better transition. It's like, all of a sudden they go from useless to talking to Giovanni and getting top secret orders each episode.

I'm getting annoyed by Iris constantly putting down Ash and calling him a kid. Hopefully her opinion of him drastically changes soon. If she saw the 25+ Pokemon and 30 Tauros he has back at Oak's, she'd change her view completely.

Jessie, James, and Meowth haven't become fully serious, they still have some goofiness in them, or at less I see some goofiness left in them, which I like. They have a more serious role but still provide some laughs. But the reason the change happened was because Giovanni heard that Jessie, James, and Meowth had a role in taking down Team Galactic and J, so he decided he'll have them do something very important now since they proved themselves to him. It is a big change but there was reasoning behind it.

Iris was slightly impressed with Ash in his battle I think, she'll probably end up seeing Ash as a very talent and impressive trainer. When? Who knows. Serebii has it stated that Iris is the daughter of Shaga(I don't know if this is true or not since I didn't hear anything about it in the anime(I haven't played the game so I don't know if it's stated there either)) so maybe she will have a complete change in opinion once Ash beats Shaga. That seems pretty far off so she'll probably cut down on it until then. I have no problem with it though.

Chris-kun

i still believe
Dent's seiyuu is like the most perfect casting ever.

I liked the episode, Corn definitely has the most strategy out of the three brothers. I wonder how they'll explain Dent deciding to travel with Satoshi and Iris. Then again, they haven't made it clear that IRIS is traveling with Satoshi yet (she sorta seems to wander in when it's convenient).

I know this is about the preview, but damn I didn't think Munna were that big

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

Dent's seiyuu is like the most perfect casting ever.

I liked the episode, Corn definitely has the most strategy out of the three brothers. I wonder how they'll explain Dent deciding to travel with Satoshi and Iris. Then again, they haven't made it clear that IRIS is traveling with Satoshi yet (she sorta seems to wander in when it's convenient).

I know this is about the preview, but damn I didn't think Munna were that big

I think Iris said something like she's making sure Ash doesn't act like a child or something. I think that was in the third episode near the start. I may of misread it.

Dento may just want to tag alone because he's impressed with Ash. He seemed impressed during Ash's battles I would say.

Chris-kun

i still believe
I think Iris said something like she's making sure Ash doesn't act like a child or something. I think that was in the third episode near the start. I may of misread it.

Dento may just want to tag alone because he's impressed with Ash. He seemed impressed during Ash's battles I would say.

She did, but then at the start of this episode Satoshi was alone until Iris popped back up in Sanyou City.

gliscor&yanmega

She did, but then at the start of this episode Satoshi was alone until Iris popped back up in Sanyou City.

Yah I don't know what was up with that. Before the subs I thought she was just hanging back looking for food for Kibago but I don't remember the subs saying anything. Although I'm assuming that is the case that she was looking for food for Kibago.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Ok so I finally had time to watch this Sanyou City Gym battle episode. To be truthfully honest, I feel like I've had enough of Best Wishes for the time being so this might be my final episode review. I said I'd watch the first few episodes just to test out this new Pokemon series and I do like what I've seen so far, but there's just something about the anime that has gotten too repetitive for me to enjoy. At least I get to leave everything off in this episode, which had some awesome moments that I'll get to later. Anyway, I'd like to start by saying that the pacing in Isshu is pretty cool; seems like Kanto all over again, but with better animation. We find Ash running towards the edge of the forest, viewing Sanyou City beyond which means that it only took him 5 episodes to get to the first Gym. Nice pacing there, seems like things will get faster as we go along.

Ash seemed pretty excited to have arrived, and I couldn't help but smile at his excitement; same old Ash I know and love haha. After the Opening theme passed and was down with, Ash and Pikachu were seen in central Sanyou City at last. I have to admit though, it didn't look all that different from the other cities. I was expecting something more, but at least we got some new music playing in the background (Karakusa Town music I think). Just when Ash is about to wet his pants from excitement, Iris arrived behind him with her Kibago. Ash says something to her but she counters with something about him acting like a child (which is was doing). She fed her little Kibago and then BAM, Dento appears behind her as well. He takes an interest in Kibago, and Iris thanks him. Then Dento spots Pikachu and gets excited to see such a "rare" Pokemon like that in Isshu. This is getting old, fast.

I have beef with Dento; I dislike his eyes right off the bat and his voice, while different, got on my nerves, but I won't fight it, I'll just go with it for now. Moving along, Ash introduced himself and Dento did too; as a Pokemon Sommelier. Ash wonders what that is and Iris teases him about being a kid again. Dento quickly describes with a Pokemon Sommelier is and then Ash asks him if he knows where the Sanyou City Gym is, which Dento says he does. Lol. He takes them to the Gym, though oddly enough, it looks like the Viridian City Gym for some reason, odd. Ash bursts through the door to find a cafe of sorts and both he and Iris wonder if that's really the Sanyou Gym. Pod appears and speaks English? Awesome, and I like his voice! Corn appears too and welcomes Ash, but in Japanese I believe. Pod and Corn both try to take Ash's order but he gets mad and shouts about wanting to battle and not just eat. Typical Ash, making a scene. Such a Drama Queen.

The fangirls sitting at the tables nearby hear about his challenge and get all excited since apparently, they like to witness Dento, Pod, and Corn battle? Maybe. Right when Ash was about to leave though, Dento, Pod, and Corn reveal that they're the Gym Leaders and the fangirls go wild! I found that to be funny, yet sort of expected too. Dento and his brothers reveal the Gym behind the cafe, and everyone proceeds to the battle arena. Yes, even the fangirls, dressed as cheerleaders now. Pod then released his Baoppu, Corn released his Hiyappu, and Dento released his Yanappu. Ash quickly scanned all three elemental monkeys in his Dex and then Dento, Pod, and Corn asked Ash whom he would like to battle in the Gym, though Ash wanted to battle all three of them? What? Why make things complicated for himself? I'm wondering if Ash is sadistic at this point, but whatever. The Gym Leaders seemed shocked by Ash's statement, but they accepted his challenge, regardless of their usual rules.

Pod decides to take on Ash first with his trusty Baoppu. We get some more fangirl cheering and Iris seemed to be enjoying it for some reason; don't know what the heck that was about. Dento explains the rules, and Ash sent out his Pokabu, the one he caught in the previous episode, the one without any formal training. That Pokabu. Ash has it use Tackle on Baoppu, but Baoppu manages to land on it's feet, surprising Ash. Pod then has Baoppu use Fire Punch on Pokabu, and it seemed much more effective than I would have thought, personally haha. Ash has Pokabu get up, but Baoppu used Flamethrower quickly after that. Ash told Pokabu to use it's Ember, but those small flames didn't even stand a chance against Baoppu's Fire-type attack and it the attack hit Pokabu. Baoppu then used Dig to hide underground soon after. We got some nice Isshu Region Gym Battle music right about then, which I freaking love! Baoppu's Dig hit Pokabu around then though, but it still didn't faint? Dumb anime logic, it's too convenient.

The fangirls kept cheering for Pod, which got annoying. Baoppu hid underground again with Dig, but Ash managed to spot it coming back up, and had Pokabu dodge it. Nice. Pokabu then used it's agility but Baoppu appeared again and sent Pokabu flying with Dig. Just as things looked pretty darn hopeless however, Pokabu dove right into Baoppu's hole and bit it's tail! Interesting move. Baoppu tried to get rid of Pokabu, but Pokabu throw Baoppu to the ground, then used Ember and then Tackle to end the battle. I have to admit, the fire pig has some talent hidden underneath, afterall. Dento declared Ash the winner of that battle and we got Iris looking impressed with Ash or Pokabu, or maybe both? Anyway, the fangirls were upset, but Corn was up next so maybe they'll cheer up. After the commercial break, we see Team Rocket walking down the street, most likely on their way to fulfill Giovanni's request from the previous episode. Sigh, I hate serious Team Rocket so much now; they just aren't the same and their sense of fashion has crashed too ;_;

We then return to the Sanyou Gym, where Ash and Corn are preparing for their Gym battle. The fangirls are indeed happy again, so that's a plus...maybe? Anyway, Corn sends out Hiyappu and Ash sends out Pikachu. Iris wonders if Ash will use strategy this time, and it looks like he really will since he's using a Pokemon that's strong against Water-types. I'd also like to mention that we get new music again; the Isshu Pokemon League theme this time! The battle finally starts and Pikachu uses Quick Attack, though I just noticed that the animation changed and it glows now haha. Corn has Hiyappu use Double Team and Pikachu's Quick Attack was rendered useless. Hiyappu then used Scratch or something similar to attack Pikachu. Corn explained something about Pokemon types, then proceeded to have Hiyappu use Water Gun on Pikachu. Pikachu managed to dodge it, but Water Gun aimed at Pikachu's feet, right before Pikachu used Thunderbolt on Hiyappu. What was that all about?! I'll never understand anime logic.

Corn's Hiyappu attacked Pikachu again with some attack I'm not sure I can identify correctly, but I think it was Scratch. Anyway, Iris seemed bummed that Ash's Pikachu seemed to weak against a Hiyappu. Ash had Pikachu use Volt Tackle, and just when I thought it would work, Corn reveals his strategy; Mud Sport! I was like, what the truck was that?! Why now, of all times, to introduce the move? Well it worked either way as Pikachu's Volt Tackle was rendered unusable and Hiyappu countered with Water Gun again. Pikachu was sent flying. Sadly, it wasn't able to get up and passed out, making Corn the winner of the second match. I swear to God; Pikachu has turned into a joke. The fangirls went wild again. Anyway, back at some dirty sewer, we find Team Rocket talking to Giovanni via their laptop. He talks about some "site" where you can obtain the power to materialize dreams. I think he meant the Lot/Site of Dreams outside of Sanyou City. Giovanni leaves the investigation of that place to Jessie, James, and Meowth. Hope they don't mess up. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It's then time for Dento versus Ash and Dento uses his Yanappu. Ash then sends out his Mijumaru and we get some Isshu Gym music which sounds pleasant to be honest. Iris worries about the fact that Mijumaru is weak against Yanappu though, so that's interesting. Mijumaru is afraid of Yanappu for some reason, and hides behind Ash. Haha, how cute. Then Ash and Pikachu have to push it back on the field. They talk it into battling, and Mijumaru attacks Yanappu, though Yanappu dodges easily and sends out it's Bullet Seed. I laughed when they hit Mijumaru and hurt it's bottom haha. Yanappu uses Bite on Mijumaru's head, ensuing more laughs lol. Mijumaru uses Water Gun, but Yanappu easily dodged it. The last Water Gun hits it's mark, but Yanappu charges up Solarbeam! Mijumaru's face when it gets stunned by the use of the attack is freaking priceless! The episode ends in a cliffhanger, which sucks. All in all, another great Best Wishes episode, it gets a 10/10 again, which I've never given to 3 episodes in a row before. Anyway, Best Wishes is doing great, keep up the good work!

P.S. On a related note, I was bored after watching the episode, so I made this; a poster for Pokemon: The Musical! An epic tale of romance, action, and comedy that's going to hit Broadway this Spring! Join Ash, Pikachu, Mijumaru, Iris, Kibago, Dento, and Yanappu as they perform on stage for the first time ever! It's sure to be an instant classic! Get your tickets fast; they're selling like hotcakes! ;)

Last edited:

garfield15

Digi/Pokemon lover
Now, this was one heck of an enjoyable gym battle. I don't know how I missed it, but I love how Corn constantly refered to himself in the third person.

Mijumaru. Awesome as always. What a great face to end on.

itsshowtime.png

^^You can't handle this much fabulous-ness

Last edited:

Reina_Moore

Poddo, Koon, and Dento

Are Poddo, Koon, and Dento really the names for the gym leaders. I got in trouble on another site for defending Serebii and saying they knew what they were talking about and were more then likely not wrong.

This other site says their names are Dent, Pod, and Corn. Is that really right?

Chris-kun

i still believe
Are Poddo, Koon, and Dento really the names for the gym leaders. I got in trouble on another site for defending Serebii and saying they knew what they were talking about and were more then likely not wrong.

This other site says their names are Dent, Pod, and Corn. Is that really right?

They're interchangable. Dent, Pod and Corn are the most accurate, Poddo, Koon and Dento are just phonetic versions based on how the names sound with a Japanese accent.

Battra

It's nice seeing Team Rocket get a more proactive storyline for the new series, it was getting boring watching them basically be comedic relief with the possible 2 episode arc of the actual organization being evil. Really an exciting first gym battle for Ash leave it him to go against the norm and go fire vs. fire & water vs. grass, it does fit in with his off the wall battling style.

I'm really enjoying the end theme though it sounds more like something you's hear in a Miyazaki film.

The thing I don't like about this is that Pikachu is the only one of Ash's Pokemon he used in this battle that had a type advantage, and it was also the only one that lost. For crying out loud, it's beaten legendaries in the past and it just lost to a Panpour with a type disadvantage against him; while Tepig beat a Pansear, who is the same type as him and, as such, neither does much damage to him with its attacks nor takes much damage from his attacks, and Oshawott beat a Pansage which is super effective against him.

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
Yeah, Pikachu losing like that does suck, but its something we'll all have to deal with. It won't matter if Pikachu beats an uber-legendary at the end of a saga, and get beaten by an ordinary poke'mon a couple of episodes later.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
The guy with the blue hair is a true beauty. I still stick by my words earlier by stating that either he or the red head should have been with the group. Why can't the extreme cute ones be in? This is just like the Misty's sisters dilema. They had four girls to choose from and they couldn't pick the pink or blue haired one?(Don't like the blonde)

G50

No longer posting
This episode was very cool. It was strange to see Ash choosing very odd type matchups for the 3 battles. I'm glad he decided to have a battle with all 3 triplets. Pikachu vs Hiyappu was a very interesting battle. In a way I was glad Hiyappu was the only elemental monkey that won, it's my favorite of the 3. It was strange though seeing Pikachu lose so easily in that battle. Pokabu's 1st battle was against Baoppu, it was a great battle. With only 2 attacks, it was definitely tough for Pokabu to win, but I'm glad he did. The 1st half of the Mijumaru vs Yanappu battle was ok... Mijumaru was definitely at a disadvantage and it was showing, it doesn't finish til next episode however...

97/100

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Was Greg Ayres Chilli?