• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Triple Up - Awesome A

lkelder0511

To smogon (Y)
Most rest talk gyara's are focused on def. Sure the shoddy% would show that.

Did Rhys say it?

zapper22001

Join BLD
Most rest talk gyara's are focused on def. Sure the shoddy% would show that.
You're right about that. Based on the October 2009 Statistics I found that:
| Gyarados | Defense EV | None | 57.3 |
| Gyarados | Defense EV | Medium (100-150) | 20.4 |
| Gyarados | Defense EV | Other (5) | < 6.8 |
for the amount of Gyrados that have Defense EV's and
| Gyarados | SpDefense EV | None | 94.7 |
| Gyarados | SpDefense EV | Other (3) | < 2.7 |
for the amount of Gyrados that invest SDef EV's so there clearly is a bias toward Def. However, these statistics include all Gyrados so the numbers aren't accurate for the standard ResTalk Gyrados and most Gyrados only carry REst/Sleep Talk/ Roar on their movesets less than 10% of the time and all of these moves are staple on the standard ResTalk Gyra.
| Gyarados | Move | Rest | 11.0 |
| Gyarados | Move | Sleep Talk | 10.7|
Hopefully these stats should give you what you're looking for. Also the standard EV spread for Gyrados is
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Impish, but Gyrados can also counter both ends of the spectrum with a spread of
252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD Careful which allows him to counter Pogeys like Heatran, Shyamin, other Special threats. Plus even with low Def investment, Intimidate lets Gyrados take on Lucario, Infernape, and Scizor.
So to answer your question, ResTalk Gyrados is more common with Def EV's, but that doesn't mean that Gyrados with SDef EV's is nonexistent.

if anyone remembers who said this originally has very good memory
I don't know, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say Kingdrom?

Kel got it right. It was Rhys.

Gyarados is being Ev'd wrongly =/ Imo, at least.

I should probably rate the team but I'm lazy and a bit mad since I didn't get my computer yesterday. On the positive side of things, I'll get it in around an hour.

Awesome A

The Gameshark
Kk checking back in on this.

Suprised I didnt get some one saying 'wow you're a ****' bout mah rant.

Hey to the mod ^^

Gonna do some edits, stuff has changed.

Lucario's out, Scizor is in. Kingdra is out, and Celebi is the new lead. Shwaa?

Celelbi @Leftovers
Bold
244 HP/216 Def/48 Spe
~Earth Power
~Grass Knot
~Recover
~Stealth Rock

Basic defense lead, and gives me that SR that I need. Also takes care of Gyarados, albeit not the SpD one that I don't care about :p

Mostly, I came to the conclusion that the type combination can either destroy or counter like 90% percent of ****, but Water types are not among that. So, to fix this problem, I plopped on a Celebi. I wish I could have fit a phazing move like perish song or w/e, but all the moves are necessary. Grass Knot dispenses Water, Earth Power dispenses Steel and Fire, Recover is teh shet, and SR is also teh shet.

Now the lead metagame is different than when I quit, and Azelf is top dog again. Celebi doesn't handle him well, which seems like a phail, but Scizor can get in on the SR and Bullet Punch/Pursuit/U-turn, depending on my gutsiness at the time. Celebi doesn't have problems getting back in later either, because it can come in on the common counters to my Dragons and Steels. Metagross is outsped and outgunned, I pwn Jirachis with my own Jirachi, Aerocatyl can't do ****, Swampert is wrecked, Infernape is a **** and I have to go to Latias, Roserade can't do **** b/c all of my team is immune to Toxic Spikes except Celebi, who has Natural Cure, Ninjask is Scizor pwned, Smeargle leads vary often but the combination of Celebi taking the spore and Scizor Bullet Punching the weakling nets the win, and it goes on from there.

Basically, I have a plan for every top lead, I can set SR, I have a Water type counter... now if only I had the drive to actually ladder this team.

Is it fixed now, or is there still more?

^^ I like this version a lot.

EDIT: FAAAAAAARARRRKKK. I edited in Celebi and Scizor THREE TIMES and kept losing it even though I was copying it every time I finished. Stupid Stupid Stupid.

Here are the sets:

Celebi @Leftovers
Bold
244 HP/216 Def/48 Spe
~Grass Knot
~Earth Power
~Recover
~Stealth Rock

Lead, already described how it beats the top ten. It counters the Water and Ground types that can switch in on my Dragons/Steels. Stealth Rock is good.

Scizor @Choice Band
Adamant
244 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe
~Bullet Punch
~Pursuit
~U-Turn
~Super Power

Checks a bunch of stuff. PLays sick mind games, is deadly in the hands of a master ;) One of my favorites, and definently one of the best in the game.

I really don't feel like writing more, I'm so aggravated.

Last edited:
Celebi doesn't handle him well, which seems like a phail, but Scizor can get in on the SR and Bullet Punch/Pursuit/U-turn

Not really.

Scizor switched in
Azelf used Stealth Rocks

Azelf used Fire Blast
Scizor is owned

FAAAAAAARARRRKKK. I edited in Celebi and Scizor THREE TIMES and kept losing it

Imagine when that happens to a long rate. Not very funny.

Why 48 Spe on Celebi?

Suprised I didnt get some one saying 'wow you're a ****' bout mah rant

Wow, you're a ****.

Awesome A

The Gameshark
Um... The 'Azelf used Fir Blast, Scizor is owned' part is sorta wrong.

Lemme introduce you to Bullet Punch, it has priority, it's real good :p

48 Spe to beat Jolly T-tar and 36-44 Spe defensive Zapdos.

And thank you JRC. I feel less obnoxious now.

hobby

Um... The 'Azelf used Fir Blast, Scizor is owned' part is sorta wrong.

Lemme introduce you to Bullet Punch, it has priority, it's real good :p

And let me introduce you to Focus Sash, it saves Azelf from the Bullet Punch and is a really good item. JRC was right, he just forgot to mention a small part, so it actually plays out like this:

You switch to Scizor, Azelf uses SR.
You use Bullet Punch, Azelf hangs on with Focus Sash and KOs with Fire Blast.

Awesome A

The Gameshark
Damn you're right, I totally forgot that too. Correction: I go to Jirachi for Azelf, because the Flinch solves the problem of Focus Sash. All better ^^

Right? :D

EDIT: Latias can absorb Fire Blast and Psychic as well, and then I can predict the Explosion and go to Empoleon, Scizor, or Jirachi. So I have a few plans I guess.

Last edited:
48 Spe to beat Jolly T-tar and 36-44 Spe defensive Zapdos.

I know the Spe beats Jolly max Spe Tyranitar, 36 Spe does that (I still know my spreads XD). I use 40 Spe Celebi and, if I've ever used him, Zapdos. So, I believe using 44 Spe would be ok to outrun the tricky defensive Celebi and Zapdos but, isn't 48 Spe a bit too far? This is just personal preference, I guess, but I wouldn't like to waste Ev's. Even if it means a single point.

And thank you JRC. I feel less obnoxious now.

You are welcomed.

What Hobby said.

Thanks for the backup. I did forget to mention the 'Sash xD.

Last edited: