• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Triples Battle Competitive Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
So this team has gone 50 wins in the Maison (and still going, just building other teams). I wanted to get it rated to see if others could find things wrong with it that I have possibly missed. For me, this team usually wins on average in 3 turns and with a bad matchup, a maximum of 5 (this does not count the "starting turn" where before turn abilities like Drought and Intimidate activate).

Ninetails | Typhlosion | Whimsicott
Other team members: Garchomp (Mega), Gengar, Serperior.

There are 2 ways I WANT to start with this team:
1) Protect on both Typhlosion and Ninetails Turn 1 and setup Tailwind, then Turn 2 Flame Burst onto Typhlosion, and Helping Hand with Whimsicott for a KO on everything that lacks Latias level bulk or is not 4x Resistant (or has Flash Fire).
2) On teams with leads having base speeds under 100, go straight for Eruption + Flash Fire Combo, and either setup Safeguard/Taunt or Helping Hand with Whimsicott if necessary.

I can fall back on mixing and matching to check threats, but the Pokemon in back are mainly for support.

Nintetails @ Heat Rock
252 Speed / 196 HP / 60 Def
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
-Protect
-Sunny Day
-Flame Burst
-Dark Pulse

Meant to setup Sun and activate Typhlosion's Flash Fire. Protect to avoid a move and scout for Fake Out and other Priority, and give time for Whimsicott to setup Tailwind. Flame Burst is used to break Sash and Sturdy of all opposing Pokemon as long as the middle target does not have Flash Fire (splash damage is typeless). Dark Pulse is to hit Pokemon that would normally be out of reach, and lets Ninetails get Pokemon that do not faint to Eruption normally into range.

Typhlosion @ Charcoal
252 Sp.A / 242 Speed /12 HP
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
-Protect
-Eruption
-Solar Beam
-Heat Wave

Straightforward and powerful when fully boosted by everything. 12 EVs in HP is for two reasons: To always get the Flash Fire Boost before Eruption hits, and to have a optimal HP number for when I need to switch over to Heatwave.
SolarBeam is there to slap things like Omastar and Carracosta that will otherwise not faint to Eruption, but is pretty much inferior to Eruption, as it one shots most Pokemon even when they 2x resist it.

Whimsicott @ Bright Powder (Flat), Mental Herb Otherwise
200 HP / 200 Def / 108 Sp. D
Ability: Prankster
Careful Nature
-Taunt
-Tailwind
-Helping Hand
-Safeguard

No Protect looks like a bad idea, but it can save you from things like DD Mega Mence leads, Swagger, priority Status, prevents a opponents Substitute and also ruins Trick Room setters which otherwise give this team a lot of trouble.
Tailwind and Helping Hand are the main aspects of the set tho, boosting the speed of Ninetails and Typhlosion so that the only real worries are priority. Safeguard is on only because it turns out to be more useful in cases where a team leads with a status user that isn't in range of Taunt.

Garchomp @ Garchompite
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Ability: Rough Skin
Hasty Nature
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Flamethrower
-Draco Meteor

The first 2 moves are standard STAB. Flamethrower is a fall back move to help Typhlosion get the Flash Fire boost if Ninetails needs to suicide Sunny Day on Turn 1. Draco Meteor is there to hit Physically Bulky mons like Mega Mence and Mega Swampert, and also gives it a powerful STAB option if it gets hit with Intimidate. Iron Head can be used but I don't find it as useful as I have Gengar, and any Fairy types that aren't cleaned up by Eruption lose to it anyway.

Serperior @ Wide Lens
252 Sp. A / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Ability: Contrary
Nature: Timid
-Protect
-Gastro Acid
-Leaf Storm
-Wring Out

Protect for turn 1 scouting, Leaf Storm for the obvious Sp.A boost and Strong reliable STAB (even more so thanks to Wide Lens), and Wring Out for Pokemon that resist Leaf Storm even after a +2 boost. Gastro Acid is there to remove Flash Fire as well as other troublesome abilities from leads, and can make the difference of knocking out all 3 opposing Pokemon at once, or leaving yourself open to a counter attack.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
252 Sp.A / 252 Speed / 4 Def
Ability: Levitate
Nature Timid
-Protect
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb

Simple set for offensive utility, Psychic gives Gengar a good option against other Poison types that may show up like Tentacruel, Mega Venasaur, Roserade and Amoonguss that you can switch into if you feel are a threat to Whimsicott turn 1 and also gives it a option against Fighting types, while Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb are basic STAB.

-Talonflame is common enough in every format. Triples less so, but enough to warrant it being a problem, mainly because of priority BB. I have thought about using Focus Sash on Serperior instead to bait the BB and just go for the Flash Fire Eruption turn 1, but it's not worth the one Pokemon in instances where it shows up to warrant losing 9% on Leaf Storm's accuracy.

- Priority. Really only a Problem as Fakeout and I don't Protect against it and if it hits Whimsicott, or if it hits Typhlosion, though Typhlosion dislikes all forms of priority. Heatwave is a decent fall back, but is significantly less powerful than Eruption, and is not 100% accurate.

-Trick Room. If I can't stop it initially, it can become a huge threat. There really isn't anything more I can say about it except that it's worth losing Whimsicott if I can prevent Trick Room from going up.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on investment with EVs and Move choices especially, but if you have any thoughts, please leave me some and thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.