1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Trip's dislike of Kanto

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Pokemaniac24, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

What do you think this exactly is leading up to. Obviously, Trip thinks very lowly of Kanto and dismisses all the trainers from it, thinking of them as weak. Is this added in to sort of build up a rivalry between Ash and Trip. OR do you think this may foreshadow something. Perhaps Ash uses his Kanto Pokemon to beat Trip and it's setting up for that. It would be interesting if Ash called back Charizard and Snorlax and also used Pikachu and he destroys Trip in a battle causing Trip to really respect Kanto. What do you all think?

2. Yeul

Yeul Green Eyed Girl

Kanto = The boonies in comparison to the more technologically advanced Unova. That's all there is to it.

3. Caseydia

Caseydia Ace Trainer

Uh, maybe there is a reason why Trip might not like it. Maybe he was mentally terrified about something that had happened. I try to think the best of situations.

4. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

I personally think it's him simply making fun of Ash for the hell of it.

If Ash was from Unova he can't exactly insult Ash, but knowing he's from a different region gives him an excuse.

I also think Trip says it just so when Ash finally does beat him it'll serve Ash some justice and make the win more satisfying, maybe even making Trip travel to Kanto.

5. Necro101

Necro101 Well-Known Member

Probably just to make fun of Ash. And because it is nothing compare to Unova.

RAWK ON

6. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

There probably is more to Trip's dislike of Kanto than is shown. I don't necessarily think something bad happened to him in Kanto. I doubt he's ever even been to Kanto yet. I think Trip is just an arrogant type who thinks his home region is greater than all other regions. So yes, there probably is more to his character that may be revealed soon.

I was just wondering if people thought that when Ash does beat Trip, do you think one of his Kanto Pokemon will be the one to deliver the final blow to Trip or is Trip's dislike of Kanto a minor issue here?

7. LilyTwo

LilyTwo Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it was just the writers not having estabilished his character all that well - noticed how Trip only dissed Kanto in the first 2 episodes he was in, and then it was pretty much forgotten?

8. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

Come to think of it, you're right LilyTwo. That was lazy on the writer's part. And didn't Trip actually praise Pikachu and Snivy in one episode. Praising Pikachu means Trip is starting to respect Kanto. So yeah, lazy writing. I think they might have forgotten about it.

9. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

Just because he praised Pikachu's performance in one battle in no way means he's starting to "respect Kanto". I doubt Trip gives Kanto a second thought. He just sees this (what he perceives to be) idiotic trainer who identifies as being from Kanto, and concludes that Kanto is where dumb hicks come from.

10. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

So overall does everyone just see this as a minor point in the show or do you think something will happen with Ash's Kanto Pokemon that will lead to Trip's downfall e.g. Charizard or Snorlax coming back and crushing Trip.

11. Yeul

Yeul Green Eyed Girl

So, you're basically saying that a simple dislike of something always has a Freudian concept to it, and that we're all going to get our comeuppance one day for it? Gosh, the Dawn fans are gonna have a field day with this one. Ditto Angel~ and AquaMilotic.

But yeah, I think Trip just does it as a means of cutting the wheat (himself) from the chaff (Ash), and establishing himself as a rival to Ash, a burden for our hot-blooded hero to overcome. Besides, this aspect of Trip has clearly lessened in subsequent episodes after his appearance, and he doesn't even mention the region at all anymore in his latest episode, so you're all not really making much of a point here.

12. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

I'm not saying Trip's dislike of Kanto will definitely come back and bite him. But it is a possibility. Who knows what the writers are planning right? I just wanted to know what people thought about this. Was this intended to be a huge part of Trip or was it just to build up a rivalry between Ash and Trip. It seems like its the latter, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss it. I think with this whole BW2 thing that Trip may not even be defeated in the Unova League. I am not saying Trip will lose to Kanto Pokemon or implying that he should or deserves to. I am just saying it is a possibility.

13. ChaosMage

ChaosMage Izit cuz I is black?

There really isn't much logic to Trip's writing. It's been quite inconsistent and he doesn't appear often enough to get into any sort of firm role. Compared to Paul and even Gary, or any of the contest rivals, we just don't know what we're supposed to think of him or even remember him for. The trashing of Kanto just seemed to be a simple device to establish Ash as a fish out of water and lead to a first battle. That's really all there was to Trip. We haven't seen him since the Alder episode, so he might be easier to pin down now that we've learned more about his childhood.

14. Spacialrend

Spacialrend Gallade owns

I'm sure Trip would insult Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh had they been mentioned in his presence. It's merely Unova Patriotism. Also, I believe he was taking the mickey out of Ash for his own entertainment.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  15. Tomato-kun

Tomato-kun I'm clueless ♥

I see Trip as being a technology savvy kid. Kanto isn't as high-tech as Unova, he's just being obnoxious.

16. Cuddy

Cuddy Cyndaquil Master

Sounds like to me as a net picking of what is said in the first 2 episodes, that was shown over a year ago. Kanto might be in the boonies, but the technology is strong in Kanto too.

17. MidnightMelody

MidnightMelody Hopeful for Gen 8

He saw Oak without pants on a trip there once and has hated the region ever since.

18. d4rk_tailed

d4rk_tailed Doritoes,Leaf Storm!

Probably visited the region with a Pikachu, angered a flock of Spearows and got absolutely mauled. No saving thunderbolts that day.

19. silent_control

silent_control Well-Known Member

I think that his dislike isn't really focused on Kanto. It's about Ash, and Kanto is just a reason.

20. I-am-the-peel

I-am-the-peel Justice Forever

I think Trip is just being arrogant because he hasn't been to kanto before and this is all because he probably thinks too less of Kanto in comparison to unova; may be too weak in terms of technology, may be poorer in unova or unova may have stronger trainers (Oh the irony...). Trip is the new unova version of Gary but he is done wrong and until there is more background on his character or development, I will never like him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.