• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Trouble with favorites...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been playing pokemon games since Red/Blue -- and something has always struck me as odd: I can't decide on a favorite...

There will be short times where I favor a pokemon, but when I really get down to it, I can't say that I prefer it to any other pokemon.

I believe without-a-doubt that if Mightyena were a BETTER pokemon to use, that I'd certainly choose it as a hands-down favorite. However, its lackluster abilities and stats tend to sway me away (I mean, what self-respecting dark type DOESN'T learn crunch?)

This next part really belongs elsewhere; but I'm currently constructing a 3-pokemon team to clear HG with, and I have two pokemon chosen, but I'd like to fill the third slot with a "Favorite" ... something that would look good following behind me.

For that reason, I think I've always had a spot for the "Smaller" pokemon that could walk alongside a trainer rather than the behemoths that are almost always in pokeballs when not battling.

Anyone feel like helping me find a favorite, or at least something very close to it?

I suppose a little more information would help as well.

I don't much care for fire types (outside of Houndoom, and Arcanine)
None of the water types are all that interesting to me either
I really like Ghost, Flying, Dark, and Electric types a lot.
Steel, Rock, Ice, and Ground types are also great fun.

I'd really like to stick with a "Smaller" pokemon (nothing bigger than an Arcanine, preferably - though the humanoids like Scyther and the like are acceptable too) but something that still packs a punch! that I will be able to say is my favorite with pride, and power my way through HG with a 3-pokemon team.

Last edited:
Tried scizor yet?
Cool in appearance and pretty awesome in terms of stats too

Funny you should mention it, I just started looking Scizor over, I like everything I see in non-game terms. I wonder how difficult it will be getting one in HG.. I suppose I *could* get an egg from my platinum game.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
The thing is with in-Game you can beat the game with virtually any Pokemon if you train enough so you can absolutely use Mightyena and not be hindered by its shortcomings in Competitive Circles much. Heck you can even use Poochyena which is smaller.

The thing is with in-Game you can beat the game with virtually any Pokemon if you train enough so you can absolutely use Mightyena and not be hindered by its shortcomings in Competitive Circles much. Heck you can even use Poochyena which is smaller.

Well, that much is true -- I still want something I can be proud of liking >.< whereas Mighty and Poochy are rather...lackluster.

Right now I'm liking Ursaring, Scizor, and as always: Mightyena. I've favored Ursaring before, and can't remember why I stopped liking it...probably due to its Normal Type

It's not a huge deal as far as "In game" factor goes, I just want a "capable" pokemon...

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Yeah, I'd go with Scizor! Provided I can catch a Scyther first.... What they need to do is give Scyther/Scizor a signature move, make it a bug type physical attack that KO's Psychic types-

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
^ Aerodactyl FTW!

I suggest looking at Manectric, Gengar, Aerodactyl and Weavile.

All are strong and pretty nippy in battle.

I believe Aerodactyl is a bit big, and to me Manectric looks like an Egyptian god (and sort of an ugly one at that).

Though Gengar has been in my pokemon lineup in every Elite-4 battle I've ever had... I've never used Sneasel or Weavile because my Ice type is usually Cloyster, or Glaceon, though this time I'm using Mamoswine (and Infernape)..

Now it's only broadening v.v Ursaring, Scizor, Gengar...and still Mightyena (though I admit only because it looks like a wolf)

Edit:

On second thought... why don't I just use Ursa, Scizor, and Gengar - and through playing I'll likely pick a favorite. That and my two mews for HMs

Last edited:

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Honestly, if you like Mightyena, use it. Because you'll see that you really wont notice how lacklustre Mightyena is, mainly because ingame is quite easy. Why else do players have the early bugs on their teams a lot(Beautifly, Dustox, Butterfree, Beedrill) and in some cases even the rodents like Raticate.

But Ursaring, Scizor and Gengar are good too.

D

Deleted member 133172

I would go with Mightyena, I never consider about how good a Pokemon is, just if it looks cool! =P

And this is why I use a Miltank...

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Poochyena or Sneasel. Since they both are small pokemon and Dark either, Scizor is a good option as well but it is a Bug type along with Steel (and you didn't mention Bug type in your favorites) and it is a big pokemon.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
I say Mightyena or Scizor

thetifftiff

I still want something I can be proud of liking >.< whereas Mighty and Poochy are rather...lackluster.

Why? It shouldn't matter what anyone thinks of what you like. I will always love quagsire even though I can get better ground/water types. If you like something, you like it. I've even kicked some butt on wifi with my quagsire so I definitely have no problems with using one in game. :p

I had the same problem deciding my last pokemon in my ultimate team. I had gotten rid of pidgeot and i later decided on scizor.

I say you should go with your mightyena if you really want it.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Yeah well...if Pidgeot had better stats or even a better movepool I would've used it.I mean...it's like the worst pkmn of all:it evolves at lvl 36,it learns Wing Attack at lvl 38.I could've lived with the fact that it has crappy stats but they could've given it a better movepool...like learning Quick Attack at lvl 5,Wing Attack at lvl 10,Aerial Ace at lvl 18 as Pidgey evolves into Pigeotto,Calm Mind at 25,Heat Wave at lvl 35,Air Slash at lvl 40 & Brave Bird at lets say...lvl 46...it would be great but nooo...

Firemonkey1

Fire Champion
Perhaps Pachirisu could be a mild recommendation for you, as it is small and quite adorable, not to mention its fairly fine yet sometimes briefly "average" stats, excluding its speed. Also, it is capable of having the ability Run Away, allowing you to flee from any feral Pokemon, even a wild Wobbuffet. This is still just a mild suggestion, though. Also, I am not entirely certain on its stats, my description being my very opinion, as it has proven itself to be reliable against most opposing Pokemon.

Maybe I will just catch that Poochyena then... Thanks everyone for the input...

Now to decide which of my three I don't really want on my team...

Status
Not open for further replies.