• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

True Blue Swablu! (340)

Heracross

Custom User Title
Well for me personally, the music makes a lot of difference in how much I enjoy an episode (or a movie for that matter). And as a result, 4Kids music changes really ruin the show. There are some episodes that I simply can't watch the dub version because the soundtrack has been so horribly mutilated (A Togepi Mirage is probably the worst instance of this). I really love the music of pokémon and it pains me to see such great stuff taken out for the dub. T_T

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
This episode shot up there to one of my favorites for the season. May was really excellent in this episode, and I felt so bad that she didn't get swablu. Is that the first time a twerp asked a pokemon to come along, but it ended up not coming along? That was really different. Also, this must be the first time we heard another pokemon use sing, because I've certainly never heard anyone but Jigglypuff sound like Jigglypuff when they sing. :D That was freaky.

Also, was swablu's voice dubbed? It sounded EXACTLY like Torchic (who's obviously dubbed), but it didn't say its name. Between Torchic and Jigglypuff, that swablu was a real imitator. :D

EDIT: I forgot something else great about this episode: a classic Dumb Ash moment! It's been so long since we've had one of those. :)

Last edited:

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
wobbanut said:
Also, was swablu's voice dubbed? It sounded EXACTLY like Torchic (who's obviously dubbed), but it didn't say its name. Between Torchic and Jigglypuff, that swablu was a real imitator. :D
Yeah, it was dubbed. Which actually surprised me a little, as I heard it retains its original voice in the Wish Maker film.
I agree though, it did sound exactly like Torchic. It seems a lot of the cute little pokémon seem to have similar voice in the dub these days~

Puffs

...NINE-THOUSAND!!!!
Apparantly, all pokemon who use sing, use the same song for their Sing attack. Swablu, Jigglypuff, has Lapras ever used sing in the anime?

V Faction

www.faction.com
These high-pitched squeaking Pokemon are becoming as rampant as the deep-voice ones. Man was I pleased to hear Lombre sound like a duck (sort of) in the previous episode.

Chris

Old Coot
Lombre wasn't bad actually. Although I'm hopefull they don't use the same damn Ludicolo voice later on that they used in "Gotta Dance." x_X It is becoming common that we're hearing high-pitched voices along with deep-voiced Pokémon that sound like a 34 year old dubbed them.

And it seems 4Kids is rather inconsistant about alot of things in Hoenn. One moment they use an original voice, the next they feel they have to dub it. Such as Stantler going from keeping the original voice to it appearing in Hoenn and having some, beefy deep voice that says "Stantler!" rather than making animal noises. o_O;

Geodude

What I found odd was that in the very beginning of the ep, when all the Swablu and Altaria were cringing due to the storm, it sounded like they kept their Japanese voices. A chorus of "Chii, chii, chii" can be distinctly heard. Yet when Swablu was found, it had a dubbed voice.

Chris

Old Coot
Guess that would make Chiruto the second Pokémon to have two different voices in the same episode (Habunake being the first)?

V Faction

www.faction.com
Edward Elric said:
Lombre wasn't bad actually. Although I'm hopefull they don't use the same damn Ludicolo voice later on that they used in "Gotta Dance." x_X

Ludicolo's voice is my most favorite Pokemon voice in the whole dern thing. Don't be knockin' Bea Arthur.

It is becoming common that we're hearing high-pitched voices along with deep-voiced Pokémon that sound like a 34 year old dubbed them.
Yes, I know.

And it seems 4Kids is rather inconsistant about alot of things in Hoenn.
I'd have to disagree with you there. If anything, they've been quite consistent with the voices they choose (even if they suck). Dusclops kept its Jirachi: Wish Maker voice. Zangoose, Swampert, and Kirlia all had their dubbed voices in a flash back. And during the little Pokemon World opener before Destiny Deoxys, we got to hear some REALLY old Kanto Pokemon voices, like Tentacool, Primeape, Haunter, and Golem.

Chris

Old Coot
V Faction said:
I'd have to disagree with you there. If anything, they've been quite consistent with the voices they choose (even if they suck). Dusclops kept its Jirachi: Wish Maker voice. Zangoose, Swampert, and Kirlia all had their dubbed voices in a flash back. And during the little Pokemon World opener before Destiny Deoxys, we got to hear some REALLY old Kanto Pokemon voices, like Tentacool, Primeape, Haunter, and Golem.
What I meant was that they're inconsistant when it comes to keeping voices. One moment they'll use the Japanese voice, then the next it'll be dubbed for no particular reason. o_o Heck, nearly all of the Johto Pokémon that had the same names or simply made noises kept their voices back in the Johto arc. But now it seems 4Kids is against that.

V Faction

www.faction.com
Edward Elric said:
What I meant was that they're inconsistant when it comes to keeping voices. One moment they'll use the Japanese voice, then the next it'll be dubbed for no particular reason. o_o Heck, nearly all of the Johto Pokémon that had the same names or simply made noises kept their voices back in the Johto arc. But now it seems 4Kids is against that.
How can I cushion this then... Creative decisions? More active involvement? Pure idiocy? (I'd like to not think so...)

My two guess are:
A. If the voice tickles their tastes, it's kept. Mostly roars and weird noises and things like that. Or fitting ones (Nya~Nya). When a voice comes along that's not quite what they think is right, and there's quite a few people involved I'm sure, they replace. And that leads into the whole opinions argument.

or...

B. They use a dart board.

I'm not sure why they'd be flip-flopping though. I can't really think of a recent voice that's done that. Well, aside from Seviper and Swablu. Those seem more intentional though. There's Slugma of course, but that's a joke.

Chris

Old Coot
According to the third movie commentary, they mentioned that they'd keep anything that had the same name or made a sound that was more like an animal would make simply because it was easier to get away with rather than having to dub it. Obviously that's not the case if they've gone and begun to dub over most of the Pokémon that appear in Hoenn. :s

V Faction

www.faction.com
Edward Elric said:
According to the third movie commentary, they mentioned that they'd keep anything that had the same name or made a sound that was more like an animal would make simply because it was easier to get away with rather than having to dub it. Obviously that's not the case if they've gone and begun to dub over most of the Pokémon that appear in Hoenn. :s
Third movie? You and I both know that was some time ago. Things change. New people, positions, bosses.

EDIT: And that also still hold some truth. Solrock is the perfect example.

But then again, I'm sure you're thinking of Zangoose already... :p

Chris

Old Coot
Yeah, it was indeed some time. But I guess it all comes down to the fact that 4Kids can't really make up their minds when it comes to voices and music. XP

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Er, before I start my review, I'd like to apologize for making it three days late (I never seemed to have the time until now).

-I noticed Swablu's voice being dubbed, at least when it was singing Jigglypuff's 'Sing' tune.

-May getting to know a knew Pokemon and learning how to let go, that was nice. I guess that would count as character development.

-Magic Powder. Heh, that was interesting. And Brock called it a little white lie. Isn't he supposed to set a good example for the younger guys? Just kidding, I thought that was funny, too.

-The whole 'dumb Ash' scene, as some of you called it, was funny. Nice way to ease up the tension. Well, there wasn't really any tension, but it was still funny.

-Torchic's pecking/waking thing was also nice.

All this stuff about 4Kids changing the music into other music, or more often adding music where there wasn't any, gets me curious. Too bad I don't know where to access the original Japanese episodes. Except Japan. But I can't go there, esspecially for just that one reason.

That's it. Not a particularly exciting episode, but it was cool. Anything else I may have wanted to mention was probably already mentioned, so, I'll leave it at that.

I rate this episode 7/10.

Last edited:
V

vulpix

Swablu should of stayed
with May, but all well.
It was a great episode
anyway!

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
I forgot to mention that I liked the Pokemon Ranger's voice. It's new, once again. Looks like 4Kids is getting more varied voices for their characters. Let's see if they do that with tomorrow's new episode.

If they have a new character, of course.

L

Lindsay

This may have been filler but as per Hoenn's usual style it's good filler! May got to shine some more in helping that cute lil Swablu to recover and fly. She also almost got to keep it but didn't~which is okay with me. Ya could really see an feel her sadness at not getting to keep it which was cool.

Lombre's introduction to the rest of the PKMN was kinda weak but then Lombre sucks anyway. Team Idiots stupid daydream lovefest got fastfowarded past so no harm done there. Even Torchic got some action by pecking everyone to wake them up hehe!

4 / 5

Only real downside was how they pronounced Swablu. What was 4Kids thinking?

Amadeus Windfall

Gespenst KIIIICK!
I loved this episode... I didn't see the whole thing, but at the end, I was on the verge of tears as Swablu left. That music worked much better here than in the movie, and the way May said "I love you," really was emotional. A great episode, in my opinion.

Blazing Charmander

Darn it. Stupid clocks going forward. I woke up this morning and looked at my clock which said 7:20AM. Then I remembered that the clocks had gone forward 1 hour. So unfortunately, I missed this one. I'll have to watch the rerun on Sky Mix tomorrow at 9.