• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

True Blue Swablu! (340)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
True Blue Swablu!

After a terrible storm, May finds an injured Swablu. She decides to nurse it back to health...however it cannot fly so May decides to teach it to. Will she succeed?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

S

Shiny May

also a nice episode. It was good to see the way May was involved with this Swablu and took care of it. A touching episode.
And I thought she was going to catch Swablu but she didn't. I could say that was a disappointment

Space Skitty

Hoenn Champion
Yeah, it was a shame May didn't keep Swablu. May did so much for it... Truly a great episode! It shows how caring May is.

The episode was very touching and we got to know about May's kind and caring spirit, hence the japanese title, 'Spirit of May'.

I wonder what the May-haters can criticize about May in this episode.
But then again... they always seem to find something to criticize about her.

Chatsy

Perverted Ash fan
They can probably criticize about her for not catching Swablu.
Probably along the lines "OMG SHE S SO STOOPID!! SEH DIDNT CATCH SWABLUE, SEH S A CRP TRAINAR!!!11"
XD

Nah, I loved this episode. May finally showed her dedication to Pokémon, which is a huge change from the start, where she didn't even care for Pokémon much. The fact that she bonded so greatly with a Pokémon she didn't even own, is so lovely.
And I loved the scene where Ash and Pikachu made a demonstration about how to fly XD
"Fly Ash, Fly!"

Chris

Old Coot
I too loved the scene where Satoshi and Pikachu tried teaching Swablu to fly. But then again..Ready Go! is playing in the background, so it makes any scene enjoyable. XD

I also loved Torchic's method of waking everyone up when Swablu used Sing earlier. XDD

G

Gryphon Turboclaw

I just hope that this great---going by what I read in the guide---ep doesn't get sabotaged by a poor dub.

Suffice it to say, this is one of those eps that demonstrates resoundingly that May is much, much, more than a mere Misty replacement. Every time I think about this ep, I find myself thinking back to the Larvitar mini-arc(particularly Misty's backbiting towards Ash regarding Larvitar), and of how radically different TBS was from its Johto version with regards to how the human characters handled things.

S

Shiny May

I just saw it and I have to say I like the background music when May is taking care of Swablu. The music is so sweet !!
Also funny how Ash and Pikachu want to show Swablu how to fly and Torchic's wake up method is cool too
The end was really sad when May did intend on catching Swablu when Swablu's family was gone and then the family appeared again! May looked so sad and Max too
Great ep 9/10

Swablu was so adorable!!! I loved its voice, too. Poor little thing, being injured by a flaming tree. Plus, the Boss fantasy was actually good, and I saw an avatar in it(ending)^^. The music was great when May was taking care of Swablu, and the ending was pretty emotional. I almost thought the dub added May catching Swablu:D. Plus, this episode was really funny!!! Magic Powder. LOL. The Flying Game was hilarious, too. And, Torchic's wake up peck was sooooo funny!!!! ROFL at that!!

Overall rating:
9.7 out of 10!!!!
A real gem of an episode. This is probably one of the best fillers invented.

SC~ out

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ah, this has to be one of my favorite fillers of the season so far. This is how fillers SHOULD be written, where even though nothing changes the main storyline, there's still plenty of character development and it's worth watching.

When I first heard about this episode I really wanted May to catch Swablu, it would have been an excellent addition to her team. And the part where she was almost going to catch it at the end was like "OH NOEZ! Why did those Altaria have to show up at that exact moment!?"

Not to mention Brock was also used well in this episode, and wasn't cast aside like in the other recent episodes. Swablu's Sing had the same rhythm as Jigglypuff's. :D

The scenes where May was sleeping next to Swablu were sweet, as well as the scene where Max revealed one of her old crushes. I guess this episode was made to have May feel how it is to release a Pokemon...without actually capturing it.

Very good ep.

EmberStar the Blaziken

Kung-Pow Chicken
I didn't see a point. It was just another Filler. How does this effect the series?

V Faction

www.faction.com
-The music at the beginning, when the lightning struck, could've been better. It just didn't really fit the perilous situation. Thankfully though, the Good-bye music at the end redeemed it, as it was a piece from MSB! And that's always touching music.

-My head did hurt and my throat did get soar a little in this episode. All those high-pitched voice Pokemon, augh! I truely feel sorry who has to do their voices. Be sure to gargle!

-The Ranger's voice was odd, yet creepily similar to his Nuzleaf. I wouldn't want to meet him a dark alley.

Brock: Hate to say it guys, but we are good and lost.
All: What?!!
Ash: Not again....
May: Aaauuuhh!, we're getting pretty good at being lost...
Max: So why don't we just turn around and retrace our steps?
Brock: ...then we'll be lost going backwards...

-I was surprised to see the gang get heart-broken at the mention of lunch.

-Medicine Cabinet Lombre :D

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
EmberStar the Blaziken said:
I didn't see a point. It was just another Filler. How does this effect the series?

It doesn't effect the series, that's why I said it's a good "filler". It's an episode with good character development with a near capture at the end, it was a lot more than "just" a filler.

EmberStar the Blaziken said:
If the animé consisted only of really important episodes, like evolutions, contests, Gyms, and captures, we'd be looking at roughly 40 episodes for all of Hoenn!!!! This episode was meant to showcase Swablu, and to give May some character development. Plus, it was quite well thought out, so it was enjoyable to watch. Beating around the bush stretches out the animé a while, which is good. Don't complain.

SC~ out

I

Indigo

Whoa...I was really touched by this episode. Really touched.

--Swablu was pronounced weirdly, I think. It should have been SWA-blu instead of swa-BLU. But that's the way I pronounced it, anyway. It irked me at the beginning, but then it kind of grew on me. The pronounciation sounded sort of French, so I learned to like it. =P

--Interesting voice for the ranger. But it wasn't the normal one, so I'm good. XP

--Torchic's wake-up method = HILARIOUS.

--Ash was excellent in this episode. In fact, all the characters were. They all seemed to have a significance in the storyline today: May as the heroine, Ash as the comic relief, Max as the proud little brother, and Brock as the mentor. Very nice chemistry, like I always say with these characters. But today it was just really phenomenal.

--The music choice was really great. When Swablu flew out of the smoke like that, I was thinking to myself, "Play the Advance theme, play the Advance theme..." and they did! Not only that, but the higher octave of the music where Ash is being rejuvinated by the Pokémon in Mewtwo Strikes Back when May says goodbye...that was just perfect. Nice work, 4Kids.

--We got to see Ash without his hat or jacket. WHOO! :D

And finally, this note goes out to May. She has proven to me that she is in a whole different realm than Misty, and she is a completely different person. She is not a replacement of any kind, but rather a fresh new face who is really great to see. She really proved today that she is an excellent Pokémon trainer. She was really unselfish when she said that Swablu should go with its friends. Had Ash been in that position, he would've done the same, but there's just something about May that made me think about her in a whole new light. She really can't be compared to anyone anymore. She's really her own character. I just have to say that by her caring actions in this episode, she's proven to us that she really does love Pokémon and cares about them deeply, even if they aren't hers. That's a great trait to have. And I say this freely now: because of this episode, I no longer hold anything against May. I still like Misty, but May has taken the place as my favorite female character. Congratulations May: you were awesome today.

I give this episode a huge 10/10. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me think about a character a completely different way. And May saying "I love you" at the end just clinched it for me. The only thing I regret is Ash not having gone up to her and said something about her making the right choice. That would've showed some character development for him, too, but I don't care much. This episode belonged to May, and she owned it. More power to her.

Medea

Excalibur
I really liked this episode. Swablu is such a cute pokemon. Such a shame that May didn't catch it.
But even more so, I kinda got bugged that Swablu's sing attack sounded an awful like Jigglypuff's attack. As I've reminded myself earlier, I remembered hearing Chansey's sing attack in the episode Ignorance is Blissey and it didn't sound like Jigglypuff's.
...I don't know maybe its just me!

S

squirtle_squad_leader

Indigo said:
--Swablu was pronounced weirdly, I think. It should have been SWA-blu instead of swa-BLU. But that's the way I pronounced it, anyway. It irked me at the beginning, but then it kind of grew on me. The pronounciation sounded sort of French, so I learned to like it. =P

I thought so, too.

Cybercubed said:
It doesn't effect the series, that's why I said it's a good "filler". It's an episode with good character development with a near capture at the end, it was a lot more than "just" a filler.

I agree. Completely. I'm really liking Advanced Challenge, and this was it at it's filler finest.