• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Trying out 5th Gen

The generation is still very new to competitive and thus different kinds of teams and styles of battling need to be tested (as well as the pokemon themselves) so here's my attempt. Forgive me if the EVs aren't well thought-out, they're what I have to work with at this point considering not much has settled yet.
Anyway, I didn't want to go with a weather/offensive team as most people seem to be doing. Instead I went for some kind of ~balance~. Essentially I just stuck on the things I wanted to try out, and I'll leave it up to you to see how well they look. :p

Kojondo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerate
252 Atk/40 SpAtk/216 Spe
Nature: Naive
-Hi Jump Kick
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Stone Edge
-U-turn

This is a very interesting fella. I'm leading with him because Scarfed U-Turns are deadly and provide good scouting, however I'm undecided on its ability. U-Turn+Regenerate is very tempting, but you can't overlook the iffy consequences of a missed HJK. Anyway, I already know people are going to overlook Kojondo's SpA, sadly. However, HP Ice with this set is enough to OHKO Salamence, and (though I'm not completely sure) Sazando and Ononokusu.

598.png

Nettle @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
252 HP/ 8 Atk/168 Def/72 SpD
Nature: Sassy
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball

Got the EVs off Smogon. Seems beastly to me, not so much as a 100% wall but as an annoying mofo. Power Whip and Gyro Ball do respectable damage, and this resists 11 types. My answer to most bulky waters.

609.png

Shanderaa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power [Ground]

This isn't a defensive team, so I'm relying on this (and Kojondo I guess) to eliminate threats rather than wall them to death. You should know what this does by now. HP is for Heatran.

560.png

Zuruzukin @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpDef
Nature: Careful
-Bulk Up
-Payback
-Drain Punch
-Stone Edge

Another one I really wanted to try out. Opted to set up its Sp. Def, then Bulk Up away. Base 115 defenses make this bulky as hell, and it looks like it should pack quite a punch. Shanderaa can't touch this.

130.png

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Dragon Dance
-Taunt
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge

Standard BulkyGyara. What can I say, for years I've been able to fit this on most of my teams because it's so reliably good. Gives another check against most Heatran, though I may run Ice Fang over Stone Edge for the dragons.

149.png

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
116 Atk/200 SpA/192 Spe
Nature: Mild
-Superpower
-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt

Late game janitor. With Gyarados being my only other true sweeper, this ensures I don't get worn out by stall teams. Opted for maximum coverage, as I'm not trying to outlast anyone with this anyway, just beat them as quick as possible.

There you have it. Neither a truly offensive nor stall team, yet I tried to compose it to keep up and possibly beat the current trends in the metagame. I know this is far from an amazing team, and I didn't build it to be one. Just trying what I want to, it's up to you to help me out. :)

Note: I'm using dream world abilities as we are still pretty much in the speculation stages anyway.

Last edited:

:wub:disc

more like :mam:anbou
you're clearly factoring in dream world abilities as you're using Shadow Tag Shandera, so why not put Intimidate on Zuruzukin? it'll give it more defencive bulk and two Intimidators give you more of a chance against some of the more hard hitting sweepers (especially in sand, you'll want to neuter Doryuuzu and Randorosu as much as possible). it gives you a switchin to most physical dragons who you otherwise have to play very carefully around and rely on Nattorei not being murdered by a fire attack. (on the other hand, this may cause you to be stalled to hell and back by Boiling Water Burunkeru... just a thought.)

also consider Multi Scale on Dragonite as i'd say it's far more useful than Inner Focus. even if it only provides one switchin i'd say not being KO'd by a super-effective move at 100% is more common than not being flinched.

i'd personally put Regenerate over Reckless as well personally just because i don't like the idea of being screwed every 1 in 10 times, and you have to worry about the possibilities of ghosts switching in on you. and 30% extra health is very helpful as well.

093.gif

Last edited:
Completely forgot about Intimidate on Zuruzukin, ugh. Anyway, guess I'm going with that over Overconfident as well. And yes, U-Turn with Regenerate is too good to ignore for now, so I'll stick with that.
Multi Scale sounded good to me when I was considering Roost/Leftovers, but is it really worth it now considering I'll only be able to use it once, and not at all with rocks up?

Yes, it has already been mentioned. As I said, I'm still hesitant to run Multi Scale as it just doesn't seem to fit with an all out offensive MixNite, however useful it is.

Plusle.

Plusle!
Replace dragonite with garchomp. Garchomp breaks Walls anyway and helps
your rock weakness

I considered Chomp, but I figured I didn't really need another choice user/set-up sweeper.
Dragonite hits harder on both sides of the offensive spectrum with pretty much the same bulk of Garchomp. The rock weakness I have is counteracted by the 3 resists well enough, I think.