• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

TV Tropes: a.k.a. "The only website you can stay on for hours without boredom"

Cobalt_Latios

TV Tropes Homepage

Now, I'm not sure what kind of reaction I'm going to get for posting this, but I figured it's worth a mention for some members here to get acquainted with it; for better or worse.

For those of you that don't know what this is, think wikipedia, but a heck of a lot more accurate with facts on just about everything. Containing little and major elements of every form of media in existence.

The only downside to this website, is that if you don't set yourself a limit, you could very well be there a while. There is a lot of information here. If you're going to read an entry, but sure it's a short one, or that you won't click any links within that page. If you do, well, you'll be there a while (assuming you're not interested, then you can do something else).

So, this is to discuss... well, the site in general. Or maybe to post links to certain entries that you think are interesting, amazing, or downright stupid/hilarious.

Have a go!

*C_L*

TV Tropes bores the hell out of me most of the time.

Cobalt_Latios

This'll probably get closed, but I have to say it's pretty hilarious. Especially the entry entitled "Die for Our Ship". It's all so true!
Eh, even if it does, I still say people should check it out. It was more of an impulse to make this thread anyways.

*C_L*

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
Oh, god. This place is like Wikipedia, but four or more times worse. I have lost entire afternoons to the addictiveness of this site.

XKCD best covers the phenomenon here, and similarly here.

Peter Quill

star-lord
Never heard of it before, however they seem to have most anime pretty well down. Considering sterotypes.

Cobalt_Latios

Oh, god. This place is like Wikipedia, but four or more times worse. I have lost entire afternoons to the addictiveness of this site.

XKCD best covers the phenomenon here, and similarly here.
Ironically, they have a lot of mentions of XKCD from it too.

I think I actually spent an entire afternoon checking out the entry of "Nightmare Fuel Unleaded". I have no idea what compelled me.

There is one thing I prefer from this site over wikipedia though; it's far more consistent and accurate with the information.

*C_L*

Magneman

< HG/SS starter
Hmm, this seems pretty cool. I think I've read an article on TV Tropes before and it was very good, so I'll be exploring this site in more detail when I have the time.

Dattebayo

Banned
TV Tropes has become one of my favorite sites as they have more interesting informations about subjects I know such as fanbases in general.

I don't know how long this site's been around, but I just recently discovered that I'm mentioned on it for my statement remix video. Sweet.

Cobalt_Latios

I have always wondered if this thread should be moved to the Entertainment section...after all, it's all about TV, right? =\
But, it does contain everything else: from video games, to real life stuff, to popular culture, to webcomics, everything. I do see where your coming from though.

There's one entry that you have to check out: crack fic. There's some hilarious little bits that anyone would get a kick out of.

*C_L*

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
I especially liked the thumbnail comic for Nadescico that was linked to under "Die for Our Ship". I'm not familiar with that fandom, but fanfiction is universal. Oh, I also really liked the "Ship to Ship Battle" page. Hilarious. I was kind of surprised that Pokemon has the bloodiest ship war ever, though. I thought that honor belonged to Harry Potter or something. It was hilarious how they described the different shipping factions, though.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
I especially liked the thumbnail comic for Nadescico that was linked to under "Die for Our Ship". I'm not familiar with that fandom, but fanfiction is universal. Oh, I also really liked the "Ship to Ship Battle" page. Hilarious. I was kind of surprised that Pokemon has the bloodiest ship war ever, though. I thought that honor belonged to Harry Potter or something. It was hilarious how they described the different shipping factions, though.

Oh god. I just read that article and I REALLY wished I had an Interweb ATT. I could Have 2 Accounts and go along stirring up butthurt Pallet/Poke shipping fans. Too Bad for the Pallet Shippers, I would of supported them just because I tossed a coin and said so.

TVtropes is addictive

Last edited:

BUG

insert joke so dated I don't even remember it
That just ate 2 hours. I hate you Cobalt Latios.

Last edited:

surfer treecko

Highly Explosive
Already been on that site. It's way too addictive.

The only worse thing is when I read the nightmare fuel section for no reason and end up scaring myself.