• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Type" Abilities

Xman96

Fighting Leader
So today I was thinking that it would be cool if pokemon could have three types. After thinking about it for a while though, I realized that it could potentiall throw balance out of wack, but then I started thinking about Levitate. It doesn't really make a pokemon a flying type, because of the lack of STAB and weakness/resistance, but what if it did? What if there was an ability for each type that did this? I think it could be balanced because then the pokemon really wouldn't have an ability. Thoughts?

littlea53

Prince of Darkness
you confused me

Grei

not the color
So today I was thinking that it would be cool if pokemon could have three types. After thinking about it for a while though, I realized that it could potentiall throw balance out of wack, but then I started thinking about Levitate. It doesn't really make a pokemon a flying type, because of the lack of STAB and weakness/resistance, but what if it did? What if there was an ability for each type that did this? I think it could be balanced because then the pokemon really wouldn't have an ability. Thoughts?

I dunno. It'd make things like calculating type effectiveness and weaknesses a little more complicated. What if Garchomp had an ability that gave it the Fire-type? How much damage would a Water-type move deal? And if the right combination was set up, there's the potential to make a Pokemon that is altogether extremely broken. Getting STAB effects from three types can be dangerous if those three types are, say, Ice, Fighting, and Ground.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how well it would work. I'd like to think that Levitate could just give a Pokemon Flying STAB, but when you give a Pokemon a certain type's STAB, you have to give it that type's weakness as well.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
If you think about it, there are more abilities that work like levitate in the sense that they provide an immunity to a certain type. levitate protects you from ground and spikes. flash ire provides a fire immunity and boost. volt/water absorb, sap sipper, motor drive, dry skin, theres a lot of them

Piemonster24

Americus Heracrosius
Abilities: Great for breaking pokemon. More immunity abilities would be cool, because they're usuable and aren't broken. If a pokemon were to have an ability that gives it three good stabs, it would probably be banned to ubers anyway. If type abilities were put on a pokemon they wouldn't break, like dragon on charizard, then it would help lesser used pokemon to see some action.

Battlestar

TRC Boss
This is really werid and confuseing? Would'nt it be better if nessesscary just have a extra ability than type? Because not all pokemon that should be immune to ground should he flying like magnazone.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
This would make the game, more so the programming hugely complicated. For example, if a Pokemon had three types, namely Poison/Flying/Bug, it would receive 1/(2)^3 = 1/8 times the normal damage if it got hit by a Fighting type move :eek: That would be ridiculous.

Neowolf7

The Wandering Wolf
Essentially, you're saying to have some Pokemon have a third type as their ability.

Funny, I was just thinking how of three types would work in Pokemon.

But it would be kind of messy. Imagine a Fire/Flying/Bug getting hit by a Rock move?
2 x 2 x 2 = 8 times more damage than normal.
Stone Edge's power is 100. 100 x 8 x 1.5 STAB = 1200 Power, 2400 if critical... ouch...​
How about a Grass/Electric/Dragon type getting hit by a Electric move?
1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/8 of its normal damage.
Thunder's Power is 120. 120 x 1/8 = 15 Power. With STAB, 22~23 Power... better off using Leech Life.​

Granted, it would be funny seeing Gastro Acid being used just to wipe out such abilities. Or Trace being used to copy a Pokemon with a Steel third type. Or Entrainment. Or Role Play. Etc., etc.

Drat

Don't Bother None
It could happen, but the pokemon with three types would have to be planned out very carefully to not make it unfair. Hell, i think it would work either way as an ability or not.

I don't why people say it would make things complicated, with good planning it wouldn't be a bad thing. Besides, computers do the work figuring out how much damage a move does, not us. So it doesn't really matter if things got to like 1/5 of normal damage or 1.274 more damage because we won't be doing the math. see?

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Levitate should just be a passive ability full stop so that some Pokémon can get better and more suitable abilities.

Validus

I've had this exact thought before. it would be a very intresting idea. depending on how the typing lands it'll give some pokemon near immunity to some types but could also make them get OHKOed but a weak attack of another. it used poorly it could break the game.

for the fanfic i'm writing i'm only introducing 2 "new pokemon" they are legendarys with duel typing, and a new ability "Dragon Skin". it adds the dragon typing to their other two types, but thats all i want to say about that.

if this is ever actualy added to the game i hope they use it very sparingly. i don't think they should change old abilities to act as third types, but if they go the third type route it'll be with new abilites.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
I'm afraid it would make things needlessly complicated for the little kids that play the game.

Imagine a Fire/Flying/Bug getting hit by a Rock move?

Haha Stealth Rock.

Validus

Complicated... for noobs, yeah but try explaning hidden stats like EVs, IVs, the effects of natures and well you get the point. pokemon is already complicated for tykes. additional layers in a few pokemon would make it any worse for them.

Additonal layers only add to the enjoyment for the older veterans of pokemon. it's fun to play with no ideas and stategies.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
like I said earlier, abilities like levitate offer an immunity, not another typing. trying to add another set of STAB and weaknesses/resistances is just silly, even for gamefreak

Xman96

Fighting Leader
For everyone who is saying that it's just basically giving a pokemon a third type, you're right that is what I'm doing. I do think it would have to used sparingly, but I don't know why it would be complicated, you would just calculate it like you wouldwith dual types.

EDIT: I know levitate doesn't offer Stab or anything like that, I'm just wondering what people would think if they did.

This would be interesting. It could add a whole new depth to Pokemon gameplay. Of course, it could go completely wrong and ruin the series, which would suck.

What if every Pokemon had a fourth/third ability like this, and you had to get it in a special way like the Dream World? That way GF could easily control stuff like that.

Wild Dragonite

Ralts Evo Tree Fan
Levitate is really the only ability that specifically prevents a Pokemon from taking damage from a certain type of move. Immunity keeps the Pokemon from being poisoned, which, in all honesty, is really what most people use the Poison type for.

As far as the three types idea is concerned, I will admit I had the same idea a while ago, but that was really as far as it got. Just an idea. Never really got air, mostly because I saw how ridiculous the game would get. It's hard enough to remember a Pokemon's dual type.