• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Type Debate Thread

Ancient Chaos

That Guy Over There
I've been seeing too much debate over what makes something fit into a certain type *coughcoughdarkcoughcough* in other threads lately, so here's a thread specifically for your opinions, thoughts, ideas, and debates over what makes a type what it is/ what makes something the type it is.

Last edited:

elephantdog

ÜberlegenDeLeuteHier
The topic starter of that thread called like EVERYTHING Dark. It was weird how he said Politoed should be Water/Bug. How is it a bug? Anyways...I think the typings are fine. There are probably some that I'll go (O,o) at but they're probably not important Pokemon so I can't come up with them.

Charmageddon

A few of my thoughts on typings....

What the hell is up with the Normal-type? On one hand it seems to be for those Pokemon who are just that, normal, with no elemental powers or anything (ie. Rattata, Pidgey, Tauros and the like). However, there is also a lot of evidence saying that Normal is a catch-all "other" type, for Pokemon that are completely the opposite of normal, and therefore don't fit anywhere else (Porygon, Ditto). So which one is it? If it's "normal", then there are a load of Pokemon that just don't fit. If it's "other", then what, may I ask, is the point in having "other" as a sub-type?

On a seperate note, there are several Pokemon that I think should have had different typings.

Lugia - Psychic/Flying, should have been Water/Flying. More appropriate for the "beast of the sea", and a better opposite for the Fire/Flying Ho-oh.
Psyduck/Golduck - Water, should have been Water/Psychic. It's Psyduck, for crying out loud!

Yanmega - Bug/Flying, should have been Bug/Dragon. Being a Dragonfly, Yanmega was the perfect chance to try out a new and interesting typing, but obviously the creators were scared of change and decided to go with the boring, repetitive, and not very useful Bug/Flying typing.

Lumineon - Water, should have been Water/Bug. Again, a great typing that would have made Lumineon both useful and interesting, as it is she's forgettable. She's based off a sea butterfly, so it makes perfect sense.

W.T.

Donw with CIPHET!
Doduo & Dodrio should have been just Normal rather than Normal/Flying, seeing as THEY CAN HARDLY FLY AT ALL! (They can learn Drill Peck, etc., but that's just because they have beaks.)

Dunsparce would be a lot more bearable if he were Ground.

Bulbasaur's Poison subtype is annoyingly unnecessary. It's a first-stage starter, for crying out loud.

And finally, I've always thought of Flygon as being Dragon/Flying because... well, look at its name.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
If it's "other", then what, may I ask, is the point in having "other" as a sub-type?
Because it's basically miscellaneous.

razor fire

The Dark Type does not resemble evil but rather bad sportsmanship and bending the rules. It's not the same as evil. And the Dark type is named Bad type in Japan which explains it all.

Period.

Lon

The Dark Type does not resemble evil but rather bad sportsmanship and bending the rules. It's not the same as evil. And the Dark type is named Bad type in Japan which explains it all.

Period.

Honestly, every time I use 'Evil' I'm referring to underhanded tactics. The fact that you keep mentioning the difference means that the word is perhaps too strong... >_>

WT said:
Dunsparce would be a lot more bearable if he were Ground.

And finally, I've always thought of Flygon as being Dragon/Flying because... well, look at its name.
I disagree with these. Earthquake STAB is nice for Flygon, and as a 'spirit of the desert' I'd assume it should be able to make better use of the land. Dragon/Flying would also mean that it would need Sand Veil to protect itself from its natural habitat.

As for Dunsparce, the poor guy should at least have some sort of boost for its only real strategy of using its Serene Grace to flinch the enemy. That said, if Normal is taken away, then it should be a Rock type to take advantage of Rock Slide instead.

◘Ins0mnIac◘

Supreme Overlord
Personally, I always thought that the entire Trapinch line should have Bug typing instead of ground. Trapinch being a bug and all.

As well, I agree that the qualifications to be typed as normal is incredibly vague. You expect it from Furrett, Snubbull, Chansey and so on but to continue to every flying type without a second typing(plain flying type wouldn't be that week), Porygon(psychic?), Dunspace(ground/dark?), Hoothoot(flying/psychic or flying/dark?), and Kangaskhan(fighting or rock?) makes it very confusing.

The Charizard should be a dragon! argument is silly in my opinion. and there's a couple others I don't agree with. However, I'm sure there's a reason for the types chosen. So not much point in arguing. It's fun to hear opinions though.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
A few of my thoughts on typings....

What the hell is up with the Normal-type? On one hand it seems to be for those Pokemon who are just that, normal, with no elemental powers or anything (ie. Rattata, Pidgey, Tauros and the like). However, there is also a lot of evidence saying that Normal is a catch-all "other" type, for Pokemon that are completely the opposite of normal, and therefore don't fit anywhere else (Porygon, Ditto). So which one is it? If it's "normal", then there are a load of Pokemon that just don't fit. If it's "other", then what, may I ask, is the point in having "other" as a sub-type

I entirely agree with this. I believe that Pokemon such as Ditto and Porygon could be of an "Abnormal" typing.

Though in the case of Bibarel, a Normal dual-type does make sense, in a way. But not for the Normal/Flying types.

razor fire

Honestly, every time I use 'Evil' I'm referring to underhanded tactics. The fact that you keep mentioning the difference means that the word is perhaps too strong... >_>
It wasn't meant directly against you but rather at the users saying that there should be a Light Type to counter the Dark Type. Something I find odd since Dark does not mean evil..

Ancient Chaos

That Guy Over There
Just a general note:

For those complaining about typing please see this thread.

This thread is for debate/discussion of what is, not a complaint thread or a what-is-there-that-you-think-shouldn't-be-or-should-be-something-else thread.

Ghost types are a touchy subject, I think. What makes a ghost type? Is it a dead Pokemon, or some sort of lone spirit? Take Rotom for example, it's an Electric/Ghost type, but why? Maybe because of its "spirit-like" qualities from emerging at night from various appliances. And Giratina? Why is this dubbed a Ghost type? Is it dead? I don't know... those are just some thoughts of mine.

razor fire

Ghost types are a touchy subject, I think. What makes a ghost type? Is it a dead Pokemon, or some sort of lone spirit? Take Rotom for example, it's an Electric/Ghost type, but why? Maybe because of its "spirit-like" qualities from emerging at night from various appliances. And Giratina? Why is this dubbed a Ghost type? Is it dead? I don't know... those are just some thoughts of mine.

Giratina lives in the spirit world and brings dead people there.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Inb4 gyarados water/dragon.

Anyway, types are mainly placed to allow for balance, so I really don't see what the problem is.

Now, the movepools on the other hand...

chrombot

The Steel Hearted

Period.

You're using the word bad to refer to evil. The word bad has multiple meanings, a synonym for it is evil. Changing the word doesn't change the definition. In this sense, dark type = evil/bad, it's the same thing. Dark type is named あくタイプ in japan. Now, calling it bad type is a bad thing to do. I mean that as it, it does accurately describe the type as bad can mean something isn't useful. Like "it was a bad light bulb" as in it was one that didn't function correctly. Dark type is not an inferior type, it is an evil type, and evil, in the english language is am ore accurate way to describe it.

calum

Banned
Lumineon - Water / Flying